St. Charles Residents Fight Against P...

St. Charles Residents Fight Against Proposed Apartment Development

There are 6 comments on the Fox2Now story from Aug 18, 2009, titled St. Charles Residents Fight Against Proposed Apartment Development. In it, Fox2Now reports that:

Residents took on city hall in St. Charles Tuesday night. They lost. Hundreds of new apartments are coming to where a golf course used to be.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox2Now.

Semi-Concious

Saint Peters, MO

#1 Aug 19, 2009
IT is obvious that there were bribes paid to the six council members. Would any of them have voted for this loser developer if it were in their own districts? THis developer lost a Federal Court Case because he refused to provide handicap access to his units, or make them handicap friendly. And this is going on the Crider property??? Something stinks in St. Charles, and the media needs to investigate!
Bill

Saint Peters, MO

#2 Aug 19, 2009
As one of the opponents of these apartments,I can say I would vote against any of the council members who voted against it if they were in my ward. However, I have one council member who happens to listen to the people in her ward, Laurie Feldman. The others should be ashamed and start looking for alternate careers. Perhaps the property management company is hiring. They seem pretty cozy.

Also, why have a planning zoning commission? They vote twice to reject the apartments and the city council votes to approve them. Apparantly the commision and the residents must be idiots and those council members are just brilliant. Or maybe, it's the other way around. I'm going with choice #2.

I will be writing the Mayor looking for that Veto. This was a disgraceful example of politics at work.
Sad Citizen

Seattle, WA

#3 Aug 19, 2009
It was a sad day for St. Charles yesterday. The people who live in the affected ward spent months of their own time out getting petitions against this apt. development (me included)for a total of 368 against. Our council woman is against it. Somehow these idiots voted for it. It became very clear to me that there is some under the table deals happening here and this is defnitely not a transaction at arms-length. News media please help us uncover the dirty work that is happening here, as being an honest citizen doesn't appear to mean anything.

Mayor York I sure hope you veto this disgrace.
Sherri

United States

#4 Aug 19, 2009
I was very disappointed by Mr. Richard Veit's comments, directed toward the opposition, which were quite derogatory in tone in implied that the opposition was only due to "animosity towards apartments." Mr. Veit went on in a long-winded emotional speech about the plight of trailer park residents in unsafe homes, including his own personal loss in that regard, which I can only assume was to imply that building a new luxury apartment complex renting at $800 per month for a 1 bedroom unit would somehow attract current residents of the trailer parks to this new safer housing once it was available. He also pointed out his greater judgement in regards to city zoning citing his vote to remove 2 hour parking zones in Frenchtown within his own Ward, against the wishes of his own constituency. Apparently he was right and they were wrong, according to him. Plus he cited (without facts or figures) that the current apartment vacany rate in St. Charles is too low, and that increasing the vacancy rate of our existing apartment complexes will benefit the city with greater tennant appreciation. I guess this explains why Mr. Veit will again be running for a judgeship in 2010, after losing in 2006. According to him, his judgement is better than that of the citizens of the city of St. Charles, including those who voted to elect him. I hope no one makes that mistake again - either for council or judge.
Monique

Saint Peters, MO

#5 Aug 19, 2009
This is ridiculous! The council members actually WANT to approve a development where the company, Edward Rose, has a D- rating with the BBB? That is absurd! As a resident of St. Charles County, we should be very picky when choosing what companies will work in our area. I have seen issues regarding handicap accessibility and discrimination occur by this company. Please lets all write the Mayor and tell her this CAN NOT happen!
John W

United States

#6 Aug 19, 2009
To those who are against having these vacant apartments built, and I am one of those people, I hope you remember how you were represented come next election and donate both your time and money to help those running against those council members who could care a less about our city! I know I will, and I'm telling you that I will still be very motivated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr hillary 21,294
Congress woman Wilson is a G F N 19 hr Commie finder 2
Democrats are for NFL kneelers Sat Grown up 5
any girls into tribbing/scissoring? (May '10) Sat Real Estate Ryan 112
SOB Wilson Sat Commie finder 1
News Ferguson still struggling with racial bias Sat White Chick 13
Grand truck companys need shut down on drugs al... Oct 20 Grand Truck Manager 2

St. Louis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Louis Mortgages