Coyote population in WV !!
WV Sheepherder

Little Valley, NY

#21 Apr 13, 2008
For a couple people posting here who are getting spiritual guidance from coyotes, I suggest you look to God through Jesus Christ. Hearing from the dead via some animal is demonic, pure and simple. I'm sorry if that's insulting, but truth is more important in such an important matter.

I have no problems with those who shoot coyotes to protect other animals. I have used Great Pyrenees guard dogs for the past seven years and have found them to be very effective at protecting my 300-400 head of sheep. Prior to that I had a serious coyote problem.
Lisa

United States

#22 Apr 25, 2008
I just had coyotes kill my newborn foal. We are heartbroken! I've never killed an animal, but I would shoot a coyote in a second after this.
WV Woman

Welch, WV

#23 Apr 25, 2008
Lisa wrote:
I just had coyotes kill my newborn foal. We are heartbroken! I've never killed an animal, but I would shoot a coyote in a second after this.
I have lived in WV 50 years and I saw a whole gang of coyote in Wyoming County for the first time in the winter. They were after our dogs.
Red

Clear Spring, MD

#24 Jul 12, 2008
Well, in honor of my beloved cat, Red, this will be my first post ever. Red was malevolent after my Mom spoiled him. He was a terror with claws, fangs and a tail (that part comes later). When Mom had to move in with me, of course Red came too. That night I spent 4 hours in the ER, because he was scared, in a strange place with other cat smells, and I tried to put his 24 lbs. into a carried that was too small. I was determined, but he won. Go Red! I deserved everything that I got. Admitedly, he scared me. I was ready to have this creature put down. But to shorten my tale, no pun intended, I consented to my DVM's recommendation to have him declawed (front and back) and have his canines shortened. Within three days he was a "lover boy" of the first order. Total personality change, that was 7 years ago.
About 6 years ago, Red had to have his tail amputated. Either he was rolled by a car on my quiet residential street or some mischevious kids decided to have some fun by swinging him around. I don't know, but he survived grandly and wasn't impaired in any way.
The reason for my post: three nights ago, Red, my bed buddy, didn't come home. OK, it is summer and he doesn't know that he has no weapons or defenses. He never had to use them. He didn't come home the next morning, night, afternoon, or night. Last evening, I went door to door asking questions and learned of a coyote sighting in my neighborhood about 6 weeks ago.(May, 2008). I had never suspected that such could happen in Beckley, WV.
Now, here is the strange part. All neighborhoods have their typical stray cats. We had 3 or 4. Just about 6 wks ago, they all disappeared just like that. About that time my neighbor's cat just disappeared. And now my "lover boy" is gone.
I pray that coyotes kill quickly and that they didn't toy with him.
Keep your kitties and doggies in at night. This probably happened between dark and 11 pm. Red was always ready for bed. I miss him.
Country Woman

Welch, WV

#25 Jul 16, 2008
Red wrote:
Well, in honor of my beloved cat, Red, this will be my first post ever. Red was malevolent after my Mom spoiled him. He was a terror with claws, fangs and a tail (that part comes later). When Mom had to move in with me, of course Red came too. That night I spent 4 hours in the ER, because he was scared, in a strange place with other cat smells, and I tried to put his 24 lbs. into a carried that was too small. I was determined, but he won. Go Red! I deserved everything that I got. Admitedly, he scared me. I was ready to have this creature put down. But to shorten my tale, no pun intended, I consented to my DVM's recommendation to have him declawed (front and back) and have his canines shortened. Within three days he was a "lover boy" of the first order. Total personality change, that was 7 years ago.
About 6 years ago, Red had to have his tail amputated. Either he was rolled by a car on my quiet residential street or some mischevious kids decided to have some fun by swinging him around. I don't know, but he survived grandly and wasn't impaired in any way.
The reason for my post: three nights ago, Red, my bed buddy, didn't come home. OK, it is summer and he doesn't know that he has no weapons or defenses. He never had to use them. He didn't come home the next morning, night, afternoon, or night. Last evening, I went door to door asking questions and learned of a coyote sighting in my neighborhood about 6 weeks ago.(May, 2008). I had never suspected that such could happen in Beckley, WV.
Now, here is the strange part. All neighborhoods have their typical stray cats. We had 3 or 4. Just about 6 wks ago, they all disappeared just like that. About that time my neighbor's cat just disappeared. And now my "lover boy" is gone.
Keep your kitties and doggies in at night. This probably happened between dark and 11 pm. Red was always ready for bed. I miss him.
Don't give up hope. He could be out there. Coyotes are very bad though. They will come to your house to get your pets. I heard where they have came after some children lately too.
black walnut cake

Swansea, SC

#26 Jul 23, 2008
Red wrote:
i have always heard that if you have a cat declawed,make sure they are totally indoors because they cannot defend themselves.
3TOES

Pittsburgh, PA

#27 Jul 23, 2008
Get a couple of hybrid wolves(at least 50%wolf)preferrably pups to raise around other animals and older children(10 or above) and your coyote problem will cease. You can "teach" your hybrid wolf anything, but they are not trainable. Check it out, they make great members to your "pack".
Up all Night

United States

#28 Jul 24, 2008
We have alot of coyotes in Doddridge Co. They keep me up at night because they are going after our dogs.
backwoodsman

Chester, SC

#29 Jul 31, 2008
find someone who likes to trap, or predator call and they can usually take care of this problem... i was born and raised in mcdowell co. but now live in n.c. i love to trap and call coyotes... they do serve a purpose, but ONLY if the population is strongly controlled... good luck all...

Since: Jul 08

United States

#30 Jul 31, 2008
there is only one good coyote and that is a DEAD one.here in mingo it is bad and i can not keep a cat or duck I kill every one I see.west virginia turned they's dam things lose to controll turkeys. I would rather have turkeys ten to one ever who did this should be fired and put out with the dam things kill them all
Working Man

Little Valley, NY

#31 Jul 31, 2008
"This human arrogance has resulted in a general lowering of the quality of life and will no doubt bring serious retribution upon humanity." Speaking of arrogance, your writing reflects exactly that. From your lofty perch, it's no wonder your perspective is a tad odd. I am but a lowly working stiff, one of the prolatariat you and your fellow travelers claim to love. You know, the kind of guy who drinks beer, loves NASCAR and American football, loathes Obama, and still thinks that God exists. Oh yes, I nearly forgot to include in that litany the fact that I actually am grateful that the Europeans founded this great land and that it has subsequently become the strongest, wealthiest, and best nation on Earth.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#32 Aug 2, 2008
I do not like beer nascar and I hate football and yes I'm voteing for obama. so your not as smart as you think and yes i think GOD is real. I pray he looks over dumb ass like you
backwoodsman

Chester, SC

#33 Aug 3, 2008
...and here i thought this thread was about controlling the 'yote population... how silly of me...
gilmer co

Canterbury, NH

#34 Oct 18, 2008
I've shot 3 while hunting other critters. Recently I've seen 3 in broad daylight and often hear them at night near my home. I'm thinking about learning how to call them in.
MMM

United States

#35 Oct 22, 2008
I have recently had a pet rabbit ripped out of it's cage and taken away. I had taken precautions to lock the cages and put barriers up in front of them because of the coyotes in the area. The barriers were knocked down from all the cages, and the door on one side of the cage was bent from them tearing it to get to the rabbit The coyotes have stolen chickens from a neighbor, and killed several lambs and now grown sheep from a nearby farm. Cats have come up missing, the deer are gone and even the groundhog have disappeared. This is in Randolph County.
MMM Beverly WV

United States

#36 Oct 22, 2008
I don't know how Franklin got on my post, I am from Beverly in Randolph Co.
Mercer

United States

#37 Oct 22, 2008
They.are.bad.here.in.mercer.co unty.wv.also..spacerbar.messed .up.sorry
They.were.brought.here.and.rel eased.in.Tazewell.county,Va.cl ose.to.us
Luck

United States

#38 Oct 22, 2008
XXX wrote:
Greenbrier, Monroe and Summers counties are having problems with the coyotes. They are killing a lot of peoples cats and dogs. They will also get a young sheep, goat, calf or foal. The coyote population has increased a lot in the past 5 years. Hunters are trying to keep the population down but it is not working.
Amen to this. Add Greenbrier to the list. They're also killing sheep and lambs. I came upon two coyotes. Scared me to death. They were huge. No doubt they're getting plenty to eat. At first I thought they were large breed dogs. I've also seen them roaming in Monroe. They are pests. Like WV doesn't have enough problems without adding coyotes to the list.
Jake

Dallas, TX

#39 Nov 30, 2008
Sinajuavi do you like the smell of your own farts?

“Go Mountaineers”

Since: Sep 08

Summersville

#40 Dec 1, 2008
They are in Nicholas Co too, abundantly. I live very close to Summersville lake. One ran into my garage last summer. It was very scary!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
start incest family Mon sisterswet 1
Well endowed son? Mon Sluttymom69 3
Sex @ mine sites with married/single men Jul 22 Jerry59 5
News LGBT Fairness Film to be Shown in Eastern Panha... (Jul '13) Jul 13 Annoyed 15
Anyone else enjoy being molested? Jul 5 AnonRon69 1
News West Virginia floods devastate 1,100 homes, man... Jul 4 Bert 30
skrotpriser.com (Jan '16) Jun 30 skrotbil 7
More from around the web