1 - 20 of 141 Comments Last updated Friday Aug 29
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Life is great!”

Since: Apr 07

WV

#1 Jun 28, 2007
What is with the coyote population explosion in West Virginia? Recently, coyote seem to be coming out from everywhere. I am in Tyler County,WV. The population seems to be growing here, they are being seen more often than in the past. Anyone know what the reason for this is? Is anything being done about it?
Sinajuavi

Amherst, VA

#2 Jul 6, 2007
The ultimate cause is the removal of wolves since the Europeans arrived.

Coyotes have been gradually spreading into former wolf habitat for decades. What is observed is simply the steady progress of this. Now they are being noticed.

Their songs are welcome. In the West coyotes serenade the night. There is nothing wrong with this. If we wish to return to the more natural state, wolves must be re-introduced.

Wolves, like coyotes, do not harm humans. However, coyotes will eat pets and they and wolves will attack lifestock. There are ways to deal with this, which are saner than just hating the predators and trying to exterminate them.

Killing coyotes is stupid. You cannot eradicate them in that way. It has been tried in the West.

Native peoples see the coyote as a "trickster", similar to the Norse Loki. Sometimes coyote is associated with a spiritual entity, who taught culture to humans. Sometimes wolves or ravens play this role.

The barking dog, God's dog... the name coyote is a Spanish corruption of the Nahuatl "coyotl". The proper pronunciation is co-yo-tay, in Spanish. There is no English equivalent; the Nahuatl/Spanish word simply passed into English.

Coyotes are highly intelligent and are commonly spirit guides. If you see one, it could be auspicious; the coyote may be trying to tell you something. You should listen.

“Life is great!”

WV

#3 Jul 7, 2007
Sinajuavi wrote:
Coyotes have been gradually spreading into former wolf habitat for decades. What is observed is simply the steady progress of this. Now they are being noticed.
Their songs are welcome. In the West coyotes serenade the night. There is nothing wrong with this. If we wish to return to the more natural state, wolves must be re-introduced.
Wolves, like coyotes, do not harm humans. However, coyotes will eat pets and they and wolves will attack lifestock. There are ways to deal with this, which are saner than just hating the predators and trying to exterminate them.
Killing coyotes is stupid. You cannot eradicate them in that way. It has been tried in the West.
Native peoples see the coyote as a "trickster", similar to the Norse Loki. Sometimes coyote is associated with a spiritual entity, who taught culture to humans. Sometimes wolves or ravens play this role.
The barking dog, God's dog... the name coyote is a Spanish corruption of the Nahuatl "coyotl". The proper pronunciation is co-yo-tay, in Spanish. There is no English equivalent; the Nahuatl/Spanish word simply passed into English.
Coyotes are highly intelligent and are commonly spirit guides. If you see one, it could be auspicious; the coyote may be trying to tell you something. You should listen.
What animal activist group are you from? I only know that these coyote kill our farm animals, and not to mention our pets. you have your opinion and I have mine. I don't care who is right or wrong.
Sinajuavi

Amherst, VA

#4 Jul 9, 2007
I am not with an animal activist group. Will you now call me a tree hugger too? Such responses are typical of dittoheads, who substitute name-calling and cliches for reason.

There is little doubt that the vast destruction of the natural environment since Europeans arrived in North America is not a good thing overall. You think that in your own personal interests you have the right to exterminate a wild population. This human arrogance has resulted in a general lowering of the quality of life and will no doubt bring serious retribution upon humanity.

Wolves were in WV originally; at that time there were no coyotes. There are means of dealing with both wolves and coyotes, to protect lifestock, etc.

When people are posting that because you can SEE or HEAR coyotes, they must be exterminated, that they are a problem...then you can see that this Western notion of a division of humans from the earth has gone to extremes and in the end what harm you do will come back to you.

WV has had its streams poisoned, forests stripped (what you see today is scrubby second-growth), wildlife decimated, and that is not to mention even the damage done to PEOPLE in WV by coal companies and other outside corporate interests to whom the PEOPLE are just another resource to be exploited.

But the coyotes are a threat to your way of life? LOL

The species most threatening human life on this planet is Homo sapiens.

“Life is great!”

WV

#5 Jul 9, 2007
Sinajuavi wrote:
I am not with an animal activist group. Will you now call me a tree hugger too? Such responses are typical of dittoheads, who substitute name-calling and cliches for reason.
There is little doubt that the vast destruction of the natural environment since Europeans arrived in North America is not a good thing overall. You think that in your own personal interests you have the right to exterminate a wild population. This human arrogance has resulted in a general lowering of the quality of life and will no doubt bring serious retribution upon humanity.
Wolves were in WV originally; at that time there were no coyotes. There are means of dealing with both wolves and coyotes, to protect lifestock, etc.
When people are posting that because you can SEE or HEAR coyotes, they must be exterminated, that they are a problem...then you can see that this Western notion of a division of humans from the earth has gone to extremes and in the end what harm you do will come back to you.
WV has had its streams poisoned, forests stripped (what you see today is scrubby second-growth), wildlife decimated, and that is not to mention even the damage done to PEOPLE in WV by coal companies and other outside corporate interests to whom the PEOPLE are just another resource to be exploited.
Like I said, you have your opinion and I have mine, I don't care who is right or wrong. You called me a (dittohead), that was real nice. I asked you a simple question and now you call me names. WOW !!!!
bob

San Antonio, TX

#6 Jul 10, 2007
i hate people that kill wolfs and coyotes i say look what they are doing and see if the wolves and coyotes shall join together and kill there hunters
Sam

San Antonio, TX

#7 Jul 10, 2007
As you know a lot of huters have killed coyote and wolfs. I say that they should not kill them fun. I mean if they are atacking you then mabey you can kill them.

“Life is great!”

WV

#8 Jul 10, 2007
Sam wrote:
As you know a lot of huters have killed coyote and wolfs. I say that they should not kill them fun. I mean if they are atacking you then mabey you can kill them.
Rock on !! I agree.
segie

AOL

#9 Jul 10, 2007
Sinajuavi wrote:
sccrlvr12-i live in WV and i agree with u...i have had encounters with my grandma...she died when i was just 2 yrs. old.i believe that she took form as a black coyote to help me in my life.a black coyote has saved my life many times in my life.so what u say...is true.
Sinajuavi

Morgantown, WV

#10 Jul 11, 2007
Some anthropologists have suggested that in fact humans did learn culture from wolves if not coyotes. One Native name for coyote is "Coyote who taught culture to humans".

The theory is that humans developed pack hunting by observing wolves. By the late Pleistocene humans had become quite adept at hunting large mammals such as wisent, aurochs, woolly rhino and mammoth in Eurasia.

Since it is now known from genome analysis that all domestic dogs on earth descend from grey wolves of eastern Siberia, that is likely where it happened, in the area which was then part of Beringia, which included the wide land bridge between Asia and N. America as well as western Alaska.

Humans, it is suggested, along with pack hunting, developed art by imitation of the wolves' habit of marking territory with scent. Since humans lack the olfactory capacity to use urine effectively, they developed symbolic visual markings, which were extended to clothing and adornment as tribal indicators.

None of this is proven, but it is an interesting hypothesis. Since many Native people speak of wolves as teachers of humans, it cannot be readily dismissed. A lot of traditional myths are orally transmitted history which takes on symbolic structure over time, but is rooted in fact.

People who exterminate "vermin" such as coyotes for fun are not attempting to perform a public service, they are looking for an excuse to slaughter randomly for fun. This is not a healthy attitude and expresses deep disrespect for the earth. We are part of the earth, not alien beings who came here like Star Trek's Borg to rape it of whatever we can use and trash the rest. Unfortunately Western civilization has behaved for centuries like something of a Borg...
chris

Princeton, WV

#11 Jul 12, 2007
Around here (Cabell County) the DNR is reintroducing coyotes to the wild...
AndrewB

United States

#12 Jul 13, 2007
So true !
Sinajuavi wrote:
Jamie

Buckhannon, WV

#13 Oct 20, 2007
I've read through several of these postings regarding coyotes in WV, since I'm curious as to whether other counties are also noticing an increase in number. I don't advocate harming any of God's creatures, but my pets mean more to me than creatures of the wild. There have been 5 coyotes frequenting our farm and we've had a few close calls with them taunting our dogs that happen to be in kennels/runs. I'm worried that if we happen to be gone one evening, that they may kill our beloved pets. They will appear both in the night and day and just stroll down our driveway and pass right beside our house and check out our dogs as they know they can't harm them by now. I'm trying to decide what to do in the best interest of our dogs and cats! My husband is more than likely going to shoot them since we've tried scaring them off and they don't seem too concerned with us as they return without any fear or leariness. This isn't a good situation either way, but in Wayne County, WV, there are plenty of coyotes lurking about!
almostdone

United States

#14 Oct 21, 2007
The DNR is reintroducing coyotes in WV because the Insurance companies are giving them money so they can control the deer population. The insurance companies are having to pay for too many auto vs deer collisions.
hilldude

Winfield, WV

#15 Nov 12, 2007
Regarding DNR introducing coyotes to Wv. do a google search on eastern coyotes and you will find all of north america has coyotes.Wv DNR did not introduce coyotes to Wv or ohio or Pa
Amy

Omaha, NE

#16 Mar 8, 2008
Ok... first off anybody that thinks it's cruel or wrong to kill them is an uneducated idiot. Their population has to be controled or they will literally take over. You seem to not believe about the livestock or pets. So here's one for you, would you like to have your child outside one day and them get bitten or killed by a coyote because you think that the population is okay.
Second, I have strong beliefs myself about the way the population just pretty much ruptured over the last 10 years, it is at a rediculus rate. No animal (except maybe rabbits), even as adaptable as the coyote is, could have multiplied naturally at the rate they have.
I am in college and doing research on the subject of their overpopulation so if you have any knowledge about them being released, or tagged animals being killed I would strongly appreciate it.

Since: Feb 08

Bryans Road, MD

#17 Mar 19, 2008
I'm in McDowell county, down at the bottom of the state. I haven't seen any coyotes but that doesn't mean they aren't here. We're more worried about the bear that keeps tearing our trash up. She had a cub last fall and that made her all sorts of, erm, bearish.

I have a suggestion though. As I live at the bottom of the state I'm next door to Virginia. I know they have a program where people are encouraged to kill coyotes to protect the livestock.(I'm not swearing to it because I can't find the article but I THINK some are paid for doing it.)

This is my suggestion: If you're population was being slaughtered en masse would you stick around or move to a less hostile location?? Maybe it's because of neighboring states that you're seeing more?? They're moving here to protect themselves, unaware that the people are just as hostile and afraid of them as the place they just left.

Since: Feb 08

Bryans Road, MD

#18 Mar 19, 2008
As well as...with last years draught all sorts of animals that were rarely seen were in the open. The deer and turkeys came out, the bears, then other animals that hunt the deer and turkey came down. So maybe it's a combination of quite a few things, not just one explanation?
smudge

Tucson, AZ

#19 Apr 8, 2008
Amy wrote:
Ok... first off anybody that thinks it's cruel or wrong to kill them is an uneducated idiot. Their population has to be controled or they will literally take over. You seem to not believe about the livestock or pets. So here's one for you, would you like to have your child outside one day and them get bitten or killed by a coyote because you think that the population is okay.
Second, I have strong beliefs myself about the way the population just pretty much ruptured over the last 10 years, it is at a rediculus rate. No animal (except maybe rabbits), even as adaptable as the coyote is, could have multiplied naturally at the rate they have.
People forget, or remove themselves from the fact, that we humans are natural predators. Humans are at the top of the food chain, like it or not! That may not make some feel warm & fuzzy, but frankly, I don't care.
Here in Oregon, we have a bigger problem than coyotes....cougars. They don't just kill our pets and livestock, they attack humans. Their populations exploded after our state legislature outlawed their hunting with the assistance of dogs.
Locally, we don't rely on government for help,(they have screwed up nature enough). We've learned how to "take care of our problems...ourselves."
I expect there are enough folks in W. VA. that can shoot straight?
XXX

United States

#20 Apr 12, 2008
Greenbrier, Monroe and Summers counties are having problems with the coyotes. They are killing a lot of peoples cats and dogs. They will also get a young sheep, goat, calf or foal. The coyote population has increased a lot in the past 5 years. Hunters are trying to keep the population down but it is not working.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jenkins hits back strong on Rahall3:41 am Sun ME Party 78
Senate candidate Tennant makes stop in Wellsburg Aug 30 The Punisher 1
friend Aug 26 friend 1
Nude girls in Braxton county Aug 22 Sex 4
Workshop asks, - What's Next, W.Va.?' Aug 20 tree chomping 1
Christian Conservatives drink the water in WV (Feb '14) Aug 18 -zaphod- 3
randy basabank Aug 18 the boss. 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••