Crime rates linked to educational att...

Crime rates linked to educational attainment, new report shows

There are 10 comments on the Gilmer Mirror story from Sep 15, 2013, titled Crime rates linked to educational attainment, new report shows. In it, Gilmer Mirror reports that:

Texas could save as much as $1.6 billion in annual crime costs if its high school male graduation rate increased by only five percentage points, a new report from the Alliance for Excellent Education finds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gilmer Mirror.

Ohio Wrangler

Mogadore, OH

#1 Sep 15, 2013
A lot of average people have known for years our schools need to be better to stop the drop out rate. We also think a lot of this problem is related to living in poverty where drugs and crime are all around our children. BUT our problem is that we have no money to improve living conditions and help people get out of poverty. We have no money to improve schools. In poor areas, our schools need to hire mentors who will be in charge of seeing that their assigned kids get to school, and get help with school if need be. We need to create some sort of places where problem kids can go and learn responsibility, work ethic, pride in appearance, and have staff available to get them back on track with education. If the parents can't or won't keep their kids going the right direction, the community will see that they go to a structured environment before they get into trouble. BUT we have no money for this since our president and congress prefer to send our tax dollars overseas to fight wars for people who do little about their oppression. Our government sends our tax dollars to build dams for water conservation in other countries, while our infrastructure continues to erode. Our government is so busy fixing the rest of the world that they have to tell us that we have no money. They have to cut our social programs, education, social security, etc. The republicans pass laws and budgets aimed at making their weathy richer at the expense of the average citizen. The democrats spend money like there are money trees growing all over the country. Both parties are doing a great dis-service to this country and people. We are in need of a strong third party that will make the effort to do what is best for the majority.

Runnemede, NJ

#2 Sep 18, 2013
Acually poverty dos not make the kids dumber..

not understanding hw the improvement process works hinders kids..
more than Anything..

Runnemede, NJ

#3 Sep 18, 2013
bad keyboard slow puter..

Runnemede, NJ

#4 Sep 19, 2013
exercising thebrain can only bedone with books not chess.. And it is similar to lifting weights.. you read in lesser sets till you get better

your parent or teacher should not hand you a book and just say read they should specify the exact Amount of mind power that should be spent before they rest the brain..

the rest period Allows the centers of the brain used for that Activity to recharge..

just like mana on a video game.. whatever but that's basically what happens..

Runnemede, NJ

#5 Sep 19, 2013
if students read wrong it's as bad as if someone works out incorrectly you get no results i'm serious..

Runnemede, NJ

#6 Sep 19, 2013
I used to read past my minds mental break point you must stop At the minds mental break point and rest the mind or else you Are just wasting time..

Runnemede, NJ

#7 Sep 19, 2013
when the childs mind goes into day dream mode do not be stupid and say continue they must take A break...

A short break...

10 minute break.. exactly..

Runnemede, NJ

#8 Sep 19, 2013
even if it's just a few sentences don't worry they will build up to more..

Runnemede, NJ

#9 Sep 19, 2013
poverty is not An excuse i saw a poor guy get top in school...

Runnemede, NJ

#10 Sep 19, 2013
reading in A group yea that's a way to increase the abiilty quite swift perhaps i'm not even sure man i Always read alone..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage in Mason Co. (Oct '14) Nov 23 at last 102
why will oak hill not stand up (Feb '15) Nov 19 I know the truth 7
News Hillary Clinton rolls out $30 billion plan to h... Nov 19 RustyS 2
Any Heathens/Asatruar in WV? (Aug '13) Nov 18 Wolfhammer 9
WV Jails Inmates mugshots (Nov '09) Nov 18 Opentoeveryonesop... 68
News Let's fight West Virginia's prescription drug a... (Mar '13) Nov 13 besthavemovedaway 42
News D&E offers candlelight remembrance Nov 12 George McNier 6
More from around the web