Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Mar 14, 2013
Raven

Ravenswood, WV

#1 Mar 14, 2013
This wont Stop here. It happened at Century WV in Ravenswood and is happening all over this Once great land. We will all have to work until we die while big business stuffs their pockets and are protected under their golden unbreallas. Its time we took back our rights we worked for all our lives.

Patriot Coal seeks to break contract with UMWA
Patriot Coal Corp. on Thursday asked a U.S. bankruptcy judge to throw out the terms of the company's existing contract with the United Mine Workers union and modify the health-care plan covering thousands of retired miners.

Lawyers for Patriot Coal did not publicly disclose the exact terms of its proposal, and asked Judge Kathy A. Surratt-States in a separate court motion to allow those details to be filed under seal.

In a motion filed Thursday evening, Patriot lawyer Elliott Moskowitz said the company's proposals "contain certain highly confidential and sensitive information." Disclosure of the information "would cause significant harm to the debtors' commercial relationships and competitive position."

St. Louis-based Patriot filed for bankruptcy protection while it tries to reorganize its finances and operations, including what the company has called "unsustainable labor-related legacy liabilities."

UMW President Cecil Roberts said the company's proposals are "totally unacceptable, unnecessary, and put thousands of retired coal miners, their dependents or their widows, on the path to financial ruin, worsening health conditions or even death."

"This is the path we have been saying Patriot would take from the very beginning of this bankruptcy last July," Roberts said. "They're demanding massive changes to the collective bargaining agreement, and they want to scrap the health care benefits our retirees earned through decades of blood and toil."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jenkins hits back strong on Rahall3:41 am 3 hr carmen 63
friend Tue friend 1
Nude girls in Braxton county Aug 22 Sex 4
Workshop asks, - What's Next, W.Va.?' Aug 20 tree chomping 1
Christian Conservatives drink the water in WV (Feb '14) Aug 18 -zaphod- 3
randy basabank Aug 18 the boss. 1
Let's fight West Virginia's prescription drug a... (Mar '13) Aug 13 Sadie 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••