Wis. Senate to vote on anti-union bill

Wis. Senate to vote on anti-union bill

There are 7859 comments on the WLFI-TV West Lafayette story from Feb 17, 2011, titled Wis. Senate to vote on anti-union bill. In it, WLFI-TV West Lafayette reports that:

Wisconsin lawmakers are prepared to pass a momentous bill that would strip government workers of nearly all collective bargaining rights over the loud objections of thousands of teachers, students and prison guards who packed the Capitol for two days of protests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI-TV West Lafayette.

First Prev
of 393
Next Last
Worthless Unions

Union, NJ

#1 Feb 17, 2011
Home of proggresive pukes who think they can get a free ride for lazy teachers who are failing the children. Teaching them that not paying their fair share is everyone elses responsibility, not theirs!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
poopi Teechers

Union, NJ

#2 Feb 17, 2011
Yes, the teechers union was responsible for my edgicasion. And I have fallin so far behine awe they peopls who gots tallt bye non unions teechers

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
larry in texas

Dallas, TX

#3 Feb 17, 2011
negotiating pay/benefits/working conditions to me equals going out and finding another job if you are unhappy with the one you got. Not through union forces. public sector jobs shouldn't be unionized period!!!!!!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
realist

Greensboro, NC

#5 Feb 17, 2011
Worthless Unions wrote:
Home of proggresive pukes who think they can get a free ride for lazy teachers who are failing the children. Teaching them that not paying their fair share is everyone elses responsibility, not theirs!
Amen!
realist

Greensboro, NC

#7 Feb 17, 2011
The unions have had their way for decades and have not been held accountable for subpar results. Change is absolutely necessary, the unions must change, we as a nation cannot continue to over compensate for incompetence.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ross

Lady Lake, FL

#8 Feb 17, 2011
These teachers called in sick and then proceeded to the state capital. This is an act of dishonesty and is a dischargable offense under most union contracts. These teachers should be fired which will force the union to try to get their jobs back.

Chances are they will get their jobs back, but with no back pay.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Oct 08

#9 Feb 17, 2011
unions are the ruin of this nation...if you don't believe me...here is one word...owebama

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mothra

Portland, OR

#10 Feb 17, 2011
Ross wrote:
These teachers called in sick and then proceeded to the state capital. This is an act of dishonesty and is a dischargable offense under most union contracts. These teachers should be fired which will force the union to try to get their jobs back.
It would seem a valid question to any teacher testifying....
"Did you call in sick to be here today?"
McCarthy was right

Bedford, TX

#11 Feb 17, 2011
I'm jealous.

The government unions that run Connecticut are bankrupting us but the idiot voters keep voting in the same legislators. Why? Because we have the highest percentage of govt employees to private of any state in the country.

Think that doesn't effect you? Connecticut is the role model for the federal Democrats.

Since: Jan 07

Kingston, PA

#12 Feb 17, 2011
Historically, teachers were extremely poorly paid.(My mother was a teacher, who told me that in the 1940's her gross pay for one year was $1200.) There was also a locally famous case in which newly hired teachers were required to return their first month's salary to the school board in "payment" for their jobs. In order to attract people to the teaching profession, relatively generous pensions were offered and as they were unionized, salaries were increased and other benefits such as health insurance were added.

Of course, that was then and this is now. In New Jersey, Gov. Christie asked that the teachers voluntarily freeze their salaries for one year and pay at least part of their health insurance. Teachers in many districts refused to do this and consequently, there were large numbers of layoffs, which is, of course, a natural consequence of the state's fiscal mess.

Rather than take to the streets, as the Wisconsin crowd has done, it would be better for all to look at the situation from district to district, restructure contracts, accept freezes, pay more toward health insurance and pension plans and basically, try to find common ground for future agreements. I am wondering about the "sick-outs" as this strategy is a violation of most contracts.(There is a no strike clause in most of them.)

In my own area, the board of one very large jointure is proposing laying off 88 teachers and
a large number of support staff. It means larger class size, which does not benefit students, and cuts in some programs. This district already has a "pay to play" policy for sports and has eliminated some of them, concentrating only on football, basketball and baseball.

It is a different world and everyone has to bite the bullet, as it were. Although I taught for almost 35 years, I am embarrassed by the undignified behavior that I have seen on all stations, regardless of their presumed political leanings. There are more certified teachers than there are positions available so it is not exactly a case of a scarcity of qualified personnel.

I suppose I am a "sell-out," but I can certainly understand the financial constraints facing school districts nationwide. There is definitely a need for concessions by the unions, if only in the best interests of public relations. We can't always get what we want.
Ho Lee Schitt

Richmond, IN

#13 Feb 17, 2011
Rethugs won't be happy until everyone is working for minimum wage with no benefits! They hate decent working people but love wall street sociopaths who have ruined this country!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Raleigh, NC

#14 Feb 17, 2011
They all must share in the cuts. They built a House of Cards and it's falling over.

I'm fine with the governor & Congress at the State & Federal Levels taking PAY & BENEFITS CUTS as well. Obama should be paying us. Bush too. We should cut off ALL of the Presidents Benefits costing us Millions each year they're gone.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#15 Feb 17, 2011
No Child Left wrote:
Historically, teachers were extremely poorly paid.(My mother was a teacher, who told me that in the 1940's her gross pay for one year was $1200.) There was also a locally famous case in which newly hired teachers were required to return their first month's salary to the school board in "payment" for their jobs. In order to attract people to the teaching profession, relatively generous pensions were offered and as they were unionized, salaries were increased and other benefits such as health insurance were added.

Of course, that was then and this is now. In New Jersey, Gov. Christie asked that the teachers voluntarily freeze their salaries for one year and pay at least part of their health insurance. Teachers in many districts refused to do this and consequently, there were large numbers of layoffs, which is, of course, a natural consequence of the state's fiscal mess.

Rather than take to the streets, as the Wisconsin crowd has done, it would be better for all to look at the situation from district to district, restructure contracts, accept freezes, pay more toward health insurance and pension plans and basically, try to find common ground for future agreements. I am wondering about the "sick-outs" as this strategy is a violation of most contracts.(There is a no strike clause in most of them.)

In my own area, the board of one very large jointure is proposing laying off 88 teachers and
a large number of support staff. It means larger class size, which does not benefit students, and cuts in some programs. This district already has a "pay to play" policy for sports and has eliminated some of them, concentrating only on football, basketball and baseball.

It is a different world and everyone has to bite the bullet, as it were. Although I taught for almost 35 years, I am embarrassed by the undignified behavior that I have seen on all stations, regardless of their presumed political leanings. There are more certified teachers than there are positions available so it is not exactly a case of a scarcity of qualified personnel.

I suppose I am a "sell-out," but I can certainly understand the financial constraints facing school districts nationwide. There is definitely a need for concessions by the unions, if only in the best interests of public relations. We can't always get what we want.
Very well stated. Thank you.
Malicious intent

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Feb 17, 2011
Wisconsin's IQ level just dropped into the single digits.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#17 Feb 17, 2011
Ross wrote:
With their Sick Out actions causing the Closing of Schools, they just lost any claim that they are for the students.

Bottom Line is that their Costs are Too High and the State must address the issue since the state is BILLIONS in Debt.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#19 Feb 17, 2011
Ho Lee Schitt wrote:
Rethugs won't be happy until everyone is working for minimum wage with no benefits! They hate decent working people but love wall street sociopaths who have ruined this country!
Schmucky wants a checky

While reliably liberal on many social issues, he established himself as a pragmatic Democrat willing to align with powerful business interests.

Mr. Schumer’s political rise — he moved in 1999 to the Senate, where he now has a party leadership post — paralleled Wall Street’s growing influence in Washington. As more Americans invested in the markets and financial institutions had a greater global reach, the industry came to rival the manufacturing sector as a driving force of the United States economy.

And in the 1990s, Democratic officials developed close links to a new generation of Wall Street leaders — labeled “New Moneycrats” by one author — who shared a free-market agenda.

Mr. Schumer became a magnet for campaign donations from wealthy industry executives, including Jamie Dimon, now the chief executive of JPMorgan Chase; John J. Mack, the chief executive at Morgan Stanley; and Charles O. Prince III, the former chief executive of Citigroup. And he was not at all reluctant to ask them for more.

Donors describe the Schumer pitch as unusually aggressive: He calls repeatedly to suggest breakfast or dinner, coffee or cocktails. He enlists intermediaries to invite prospects to events and recruits several senators to tag along. And he presses for the maximum contribution —“I need you to max out,” he is known to say — then follows up by asking that a donor’s spouse and four or five friends write checks, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/business/14...

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#20 Feb 17, 2011
Imagine gov workers actually contributing something towards their retirement and health care instead of just the Tax Payer!

Oh the Horror!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#21 Feb 17, 2011
Union teachers should be ashamed of their greedy selfish selves. Unions ought to be put in the trash. I will NEVER respect a union teacher again. Union teachers are all scumbags. Unions are the cause of communism and strife all over the world. For teachers to belong to a union in the first place shows a lack of education!!!

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#22 Feb 17, 2011
Malicious intent wrote:
Wisconsin's IQ level just dropped into the single digits.
Thanks for announcing your arrival in Wisconsin.

“SEMPER FI”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#23 Feb 17, 2011
Instead of passing this unpopular bill, that seems to be pissing off so many people, they should go with option #2......start the indiffinate lay-offs.

At least the union will be protected.

Even with paying unemployment, the total will be less than what the state is paying now.

It's a win for BOTH sides. The union gets what it wants, and the government decreases it's debt. I'd say at least 20,000 to 30,000 should do the trick.

These "teachers" aren't the brightest bulbs in the room.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 393
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did Republicans Rig the Election? Jan 17 huntcoyotes 113
looking for jason novak Jan 16 AlainaW1226 1
News Lake Michigan shipwreck graveyard nears federal... Jan 10 Sail 1
News Lawmakers Look to Tackle Heroin and Opioid Epid... Jan 9 BHM5267 1
News Wisconsin Dems Slam Trump Backers Jan 6 Brian 79
News Wisconsin Legislators Propose Dueling Bills Rel... Jan 6 Brian 3
News 16 numbers that explain politics in 2016 Jan 1 Le Jimbo 4
More from around the web