Drunk Driving Laws: Wisconsin Governo...

Drunk Driving Laws: Wisconsin Governor signs tougher drunk driv...

There are 14 comments on the Fox6 story from Dec 22, 2009, titled Drunk Driving Laws: Wisconsin Governor signs tougher drunk driv.... In it, Fox6 reports that:

Wisconsin's drunken driving laws are about to get tougher. Gov. Jim Doyle says he will sign a bill Tuesday morning that makes a fourth offense a felony rather instead of a fifth if it occurs within five years of the previous offense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox6.

Very Sad

Sussex, WI

#1 Dec 22, 2009
How about 3 strikes and your out. Its sad how good Wisconsin treats their drunk drivers
Johnny

Madison, IN

#2 Dec 22, 2009
Thats right, keep putting these kinds of offenses in prison and over crowd them some more and have the taxpayers foot the $60,000 a year to house them.

Why dont we put them in a 1 year treatment center for a year and have the individuals pay for there treatment incarceration? Why do we make laws like this that continually cost tax payers more money.Yes , i agree we need to get drunk drivers off the road, but does putting them in prison for years solve this problem....NO! TREATMENT IS THE ONLY CURE!

BTW, i dont drink
lilhit

Americus, GA

#3 Dec 22, 2009
hey folks just cuz u or ur wife is one do not meen i want em walking the streets
Timmy

Kingsland, GA

#4 Dec 22, 2009
Let's take away Doyle's influence and personal driver and see how long he goes before he get his forth one!
Ian

Waukesha, WI

#5 Dec 22, 2009
Why cant this be a first offense felony. This is just not enough. Why do the people who dont drink get stuck with this extra fee. Throw them in jail for life and let them die.
Cheryl W

United States

#6 Dec 23, 2009
I don't understand why you have to be given 3 chances to possibly kill yourself or someone else before being sent to jail. Talk to the parents of children killed by someone on there 1st, 2nd, or 3rd offense!
It is your choice to drink while drunk. You should pay the penalty EVERY TIME
maddog

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Feb 8, 2010
damn!!! it cost more to keep someone in prison than what i make in a year!!! what the fuck. If I make 60,000$ a year I would be happy and I would be able to afford everything I wanted.
Why does it cost so much to keep prisoners, I could survive on 3 dollars a day.
Janna

Milford, MA

#8 Feb 10, 2010
Is it illegal to rob a bank at gunpoint? Of course it is. Driving a car after drinking is the same thing. When someone is killed, the bank robber and the drunk driver will say the same thing, "I didn't mean to kill him/her....it was an accident." It doesn't matter, that victim is still dead.
DWI should be treated the same as any other crime that's committed with a weapon. First offense = jail time (no less than 1 year)+ revoked license for 1 year. Second offense = prison time (5 years)+ revoked license for 2 years. If the second offense happens while still on probation from the first offense, that should carry a 7 year mandatory sentence, and a 5 year revocation of the driver's license.
If a person is killed by a DWI criminal, they should receive the same punishment as anyone who commits negligent homicide. Yes, the cost at first would be huge. But in the long term, fewer people would be taking the DWI risk (knowing the huge penalties), and more lives would be saved. It would also help if the prisons weren't treating the inmates as guests, rather then the criminals they are. The prisoners would cry foul, claiming unfair treatment. Too bad. You're paying the price for the crime you committed.
Puzzled

United States

#9 Feb 11, 2010
Why are people given this many chances? Few states do this - Janna has the right concept, although rather than jail time, which costs us a fortune, for the first offense I'd suggest a few hundred hours of community service and a very large fine. Also, confiscate the vehicles, especially if it happens a second time!
Sheila

Muskego, WI

#10 Feb 18, 2010
Wisconsin does need to do more about drunk drivers! My little sister was 23 and was killed by a drunk driver!

Drunk drivers: Thanks a lot ya drunk alcoholics...keep killing our family and friends! I hope you all sit in jail.
Frustrated

Muskego, WI

#11 Feb 18, 2010
The government needs to make jail a less pleasant place to be. They shouldn't get steak or tv or any of the niceties of life.
angry

Burlington, WI

#12 Feb 18, 2010
I cant believe this! Wisconsin really needs to start getting more strict with drunk drivers.

So let's just say that after their first time of getting caught driving under the influence, they kill someone their second time. There is no excuse for letting that happen.

People these days need to be more responsible. When you are driving drunk, you put your life and everyone else on the roads' life in danger.
Mil-town boy

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 18, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if Walker signed a bill way tougher in his first two years. Although he does have a lot of mess to clean up, we can always go with the Obama way of not doing things. Blame it on the last guy. LOL!
Amy

Sussex, WI

#14 Mar 6, 2010
After your FOURTH. why not 3rd??? Its no wonder people keep doing it and doing it, there are no real consequences until they kill someone

Put a hefty fine on the 2nd one too...Hell, make it $10,000 fine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to the freespeechwisconsin forum? Fri crab 5
News Marquette Professor Says Wisconsin Supreme Cour... Feb 8 WelbyMD 1
News GOP leader says tolling needed to get federal r... Feb 7 Kenosha Uptowner 1
News Laurie 'Bambi' Bembenek, 52, was heroine in 'Ru... (Nov '10) Feb 5 Rhonda Mclean 21
News Guest Views: What about Wisconsin's other 'hard... Jan 31 Kevin Graham 1
News The Daily 202: Unexpected defeat in rural Wisco... Jan 28 mr gleeble 52
News Wisconsin DNR to up camping fees at most popula... Jan 28 MurphyMobile 4
More from around the web