WI legislators circulate 7-day work w...

WI legislators circulate 7-day work week bill

There are 3 comments on the WTMJ-AM Milwaukee story from Jan 12, 2014, titled WI legislators circulate 7-day work week bill. In it, WTMJ-AM Milwaukee reports that:

Wisconsin manufacturing and retail workers could volunteer to work seven days straight without a day off under a bill two Republican lawmakers are circulating on behalf of the state's largest business group.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTMJ-AM Milwaukee.

Sandi

Beaver Dam, WI

#1 Jan 13, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not so sure about the permanency of this idea for each employee. After so many days of working a person's bound to be exhausted. NOT a good idea for people working in manufacturing.

And, what about overtime pay? I still believe in being paid time and 1/2 after 40 hours and double time and 1/2 on holidays. Sadly I used to work in a factory (20+ years ago) and I would work every moment that I could. That's how I bought my first house for my son and me. He says now that he didn't feel neglected. Whether he's telling me the truth or not I don't know.

Finally, all too often employers are finding ways of getting around paying less than what is lawful. Later in life I worked for a plumbing contractor. I often worked late, extra days etc. I NEVER was paid for over-time. Instead I was 'granted' time off. But that was an employer who if investigated could be charged with a multitude of illegal activities. From sexual harrassment up to tax evasion.
mea

Hebron, IL

#2 Jan 14, 2014
The point here is that business really doesn't want to increase their workforce. They would just rather get the work accomplished with the people that they have currently on staff.

It is expensive to hire and train people. And the government doesn't make taking on new hires any less expensive either.

The losers in all this are the young. They are coming into a working environment where there are no jobs available. This is only going to make that issue worse.

It is too bad that mothers can't care for their kids anymore. It is totally a rare thing for a mother to be a mother anymore. They need to hire that duty out to someone else. Or they need to let the kids raise themselves and hope for the best.
Some kids turn out ok. Other ones, though, they don't.

It just makes it totally tough on people who really do try to raise their young themselves and not hire it out.
pizza

Salem, OR

#3 Feb 10, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Divided Wisconsin Republicans picking sides in ... Oct 3 BHM5267 1
News Wisconsin Led Nation in Loss of State Governmen... (Jan '12) Oct 1 Hotter 4
News Wisconsin Democrats face crowded field against ... Sep 23 Arcane 4
News Foxconn picks Wisconsin for new plant, 3,000 jobs Sep '17 voter 45
News Wisconsin Senate approves $3 billion for Foxconn Sep '17 Mizike 17
News APNewsBreak: $4M for tiny Wisconsin airport nea... Sep '17 Covfefe 2
Tony Evers Sep '17 Taxed 1
More from around the web