Cougar Sighting in NW Wisconsin
Jerry

United States

#21 Feb 7, 2006
From willmar.com

Willmar Cougar To Go To Sanctuary

The Willmar cougar is going to a shelter for large cats. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Manager Leroy Dahlke says Tammy Quist at The Wildcat Sanctuary in Cedar Minnesota has agreed to take the cat, and it will be transported there once all the permits and paperwork is completed.

The Sanctuary gives shelter and rehabilation to dozens of large cats, and is not a zoo and is not open to the public. The Cougar is doing fine after being captured near Kennedy Elementary School.

Veterinarian Dr. Gregg Laurence of the South 71 Vet Clinic says the cougar is relatively tame and little on the thin side, and she wore no collar or tags.

They haven't determined if she is wild. Dahlke says the odds of releasing the cougar into the wild are slim, since it's shown it's not afraid of people.

Euthanization was an option, but giving it to a wildlife sanctuary turned out to be the better solution. Laurence says cougar sitings in southwest Minnesota are not uncommon. The nearest established cougar population is located in western South Dakota.
Walt

New Berlin, WI

#22 Feb 8, 2006
Several people,including myself,have seen a cougar,in Price County,near Riblake Wisconsin.Im positive of what I saw.Three of us saw it cross hwy 102,at the same location
gregg

United States

#23 Feb 8, 2006
i was up to the Grand Canyon,AZ and i thought i saw something.
Educated Property Owner

Oshkosh, WI

#24 Feb 10, 2006
Walt wrote:
Several people,including myself,have seen a cougar,in Price County,near Riblake Wisconsin.Im positive of what I saw.Three of us saw it cross hwy 102,at the same location
And yet, you can't space the space bar.
gregg

United States

#25 Feb 10, 2006
what space ber?
Tiffany - UP

Kingsford, MI

#27 Feb 12, 2006
I am right over the border of Wisconsin (About 5 miles from it) A couple of years ago I had a couger in my backyard. I saw it at dusk.

My neighbor, a retired DNR officer, told me I must have seen a bear. I know the difference between a black bear (which I've seen many times around my house) and a couger. Besides the fact that one is a bear and another a cat, it's easy to tell the difference. Michigan DNR swore up and down that they didn't exist, yet on their website it shows cougers as an endangered speices of Michigan. They use to tell people that they were Golden Retrievers or house cats (talk about a size difference).

Don't believe the DNR when they tell you anything. Just last year they finally admitted there is a breeding population in the UP. If we can have them here, you can surely have them in Northern Wisconsin area.

As far as eatting, in the winter we get about 70 deer in our backyard. Seems like enough for a couger to eat. It's let the wolves live here. I've seen plenty of deer in Wisconsin. Just because the state line is there doesn't mean an animal won't cross it.
Educated Property Owner

Oshkosh, WI

#28 Feb 15, 2006
I saw Bigfoot!

But the DNR told me it was a dirty hippy in the forest.

Don’t believe anything ever – only follow your wild ideas
The space men thought me that.
Chomper

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Feb 16, 2006
Educated Property Owner wrote:
I saw one at the zoo, I saw a lion there too.
I saw one at the zoo, I saw a lion there too.
Fair is fair. I would be skepticle too. But I saw what I saw. Thankfully two others with me saw it too. Was it a pet? who knows. But alot of people in different areas are seeing something. I don't think the DNR is hiding anything. There just isn't any proof from a science point of view. I saw a cougar with my own eyes but I understand that this does not constitute proof they are here. I know there is one. I spend nearly every weekend in NW Wisconsin woods. According to the WDNR site, which is fantastic, I am sorrounded by three different wolf packs. I have never seen a wolf in the wild. If the cougar were here I have no doubt they could go undetected. Ranges can be large and occupied by one cat. As for food anyone from this area knows the size of the deer herds.
A single cougar could account for an entire counties sightings if not more.
I saw a cougar in July 2005 in Douglas County. Does anyone else remember at least the Month they saw something?
Gene Odato

United States

#30 Feb 17, 2006
Dash, have you shared your information with the Eastern Puma Research Network? Please do so if you haven't already. I would like to see the trail cam picture.
Dan

Milwaukee, WI

#31 Feb 17, 2006
I graduated from Stevens Point with a Wildlife Degree. This does not make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination. This said, I too believe I have seen a cougar about 5 years ago along Hwy 29 West of Medford. It was through a plowed field, about 200 yds away. The color and shape were consistant. Long, low body, with a tail nearly as long as the body.
My first thought was golden retriever, but it was too long and low. I believe there is a population in WI, to what extent, I am not sure.
Lori

United States

#32 Feb 17, 2006
Only Real Men call them Cougars! Out here in California, Men call them Mountain Lions.
Larry

Alma Center, WI

#33 Feb 17, 2006
A customer of mine told me today that a cougar was on our property a few miles north Of Spooner as he came into town.
This is the second such report over the last few years.
Dash

Wausau, WI

#34 Feb 18, 2006
Gene Odato wrote:
Dash, have you shared your information with the Eastern Puma Research Network? Please do so if you haven't already. I would like to see the trail cam picture.
Hi, I have never seen a trail cam picture. The only one that I saw was in the paper and it proved to be fake. That doesn't do anything for serious people, but hurt us.

There is a group on the Internet where you can come and discuss freely the cougar/mt lion/ puma/ or panther sightings and most of us have seen them. It is difficult to get proof, but there are some people really trying in Wisconsin now to get pictures and prints, scat, and hair proofs.

The DNR from all over the country says the same things... "if" you saw a cougar, it was probably one that was released that had been kept as a pet. Hardly. How many people do you know that have cougars as pets. While there are some there are not that many to warrant the many sightings all over the country.

The group is a Yahoo group, [email protected] m come and discuss.

I am on the Eastern Cougar list by the way. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#35 Feb 18, 2006
Chomper wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

Fair is fair. I would be skepticle too. But I saw what I saw. Thankfully two others with me saw it too. Was it a pet? who knows. But alot of people in different areas are seeing something. I don't think the DNR is hiding anything. There just isn't any proof from a science point of view. I saw a cougar with my own eyes but I understand that this does not constitute proof they are here. I know there is one. I spend nearly every weekend in NW Wisconsin woods. According to the WDNR site, which is fantastic, I am sorrounded by three different wolf packs. I have never seen a wolf in the wild. If the cougar were here I have no doubt they could go undetected. Ranges can be large and occupied by one cat. As for food anyone from this area knows the size of the deer herds.
A single cougar could account for an entire counties sightings if not more.
I saw a cougar in July 2005 in Douglas County. Does anyone else remember at least the Month they saw something?
I saw the cougar I saw in February. I wrote it all up and sent it off to the reporter that has done articles about the cougars i our area. I have met and retain names and telephone numbers of dozens of people in our area that have seen the cats.

We had cougar tracks in our back yard in spring one year. I think it was maybe 2001. When found by a visiting friend, I scoffed and joked and said maybe it was "the cougars" as I had not seen any then yet. I had kept the newspaper accounts however. Later, a few weeks, a neighbor came over, her husband had seen a mountain lion in our little woods,(where we had seen the prints) on his way home from the night shift. So there was a cougar in our yard twice for sure. Can't prove it though.

Deer use our little woods as a run way, I find deer tracks all the time. Now I watch for cat tracks. I saw the cougar about 3 miles from here, less as the crow flies. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#36 Feb 18, 2006
Dan wrote:
I graduated from Stevens Point with a Wildlife Degree. This does not make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination. This said, I too believe I have seen a cougar about 5 years ago along Hwy 29 West of Medford. It was through a plowed field, about 200 yds away. The color and shape were consistant. Long, low body, with a tail nearly as long as the body.
My first thought was golden retriever, but it was too long and low. I believe there is a population in WI, to what extent, I am not sure.
Hi Dan, some of the sightings I know about are in the Medford area. There is a map on the Lincoln County DNR sight showing the cougar sightings. Some are "officialy" documented I guess. I do not know how they "document" as when I called and talked to them, I got the same canned response ie: pet released.

There are many news accounts and sightings all over the Marathon County, Lincoln County area that I know about. One lady saw a cougar 4 times near, very near her house, and the DNR was not receptive to believing she had a sound mind. She lives between Wausau and Merrill. I have news accounts of cougars in vicinity where she sighted the cat.

I understand there is a professor in Stevens Point that is investigating and trying to prove the cats are here.

I have a friend that has a pond where there can be prints harvested from if anyone is interested. I have offered to inform him of this place and have already obtained verbal permission for harvesting prints. Owners believe they have already, but I am not satisfied with the quality of the prints to do anything about it. Dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#37 Feb 18, 2006
Gene Odato wrote:
I have a lot of undocumented and unproven sightings. I have contacted the Eastern Puma Research Network, I think I am on their yahoo list. I will double check it, because I am on a lot of lists in regards to the cougars. However, I have over the last year or so, gotten discouraged in the ability to prove anything, yet the reports of the big cats continue to come to my ears, via many new people.

I actually think I know a "runway" for them in our area. No one seems to care, that can really prove it though.

As I read and read about them, it is not unusual for it to be hard to document the cats. Oh sometimes they sit in trees in back yards or kill animals, but usually they hunt in secret and avoid man. They are not an animal that likes to make themselves known... they are solitary creatures usually and people that actually see them are very lucky. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#38 Feb 18, 2006
Tiffany - UP wrote:
I am right over the border of Wisconsin (About 5 miles from it) A couple of years ago I had a couger in my backyard. I saw it at dusk.

My neighbor, a retired DNR officer, told me I must have seen a bear. I know the difference between a black bear (which I've seen many times around my house) and a couger. Besides the fact that one is a bear and another a cat, it's easy to tell the difference. Michigan DNR swore up and down that they didn't exist, yet on their website it shows cougers as an endangered speices of Michigan. They use to tell people that they were Golden Retrievers or house cats (talk about a size difference).

Don't believe the DNR when they tell you anything. Just last year they finally admitted there is a breeding population in the UP. If we can have them here, you can surely have them in Northern Wisconsin area.

As far as eatting, in the winter we get about 70 deer in our backyard. Seems like enough for a couger to eat. It's let the wolves live here. I've seen plenty of deer in Wisconsin. Just because the state line is there doesn't mean an animal won't cross it.
Don't you love it though? Very frustrating that we are not taken seriously. I am sure the deer lured the cougar.

One of the sightings that was reported to me, was after a fellow has sprayed his plants with deer repellent. I read what was in the deer repellent, and one ingredient is "dried blood".

This same fellow saw a cougar 3 times, in 3 different places in a radius around his home. One was a large cat, one was a smaller one. That testifies to a breeding population, but I already know that as there was a mama with cubs seen 3 miles from here already 10 years ago.

I believe that any time the DNR will admit anything is after there is irrefutable proof and enough public awareness. I think that they do not want to panic anyone.
I think in the UP they finally obtained that proof. Dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#39 Feb 18, 2006
Wow, A “Trailcam”!
Well that is certainly definitive proof of a creature existing…wherever the possessor claims the picture was taken.

Does it matter? Does someone have money on the point?
Yes it matters. When I see all the sightings from all over the country and many many near elementry schools and how this is handled where the people are "educated" about Mt. Lions... it is scary that by our denial our little children might be at risk.

There was a sighting withing a couple city blocks of the largest elementry school in Merrill Wisconsin. I have the police report.

I find that sightings near elementry schools is very common and in Mt. Lion (acknowledged) territory, they use precautions. I would like to see a common sense approach to the cats. Education and planning and not denial. Denial as in any problem, doesn't make it go away. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

#40 Feb 18, 2006
Brian Miller wrote:
I saw my first cougar between New Glarus & Monticello Wisconsin while bow-hunting in about 1985 during a snow storm. It was a small one but it was a cougar. I saw it up too close.
I saw the second one in 2003 in the Chequamegon Forest near Clam Lake Wisconsin near my hunting camp. I was again, bow-hunting. This one was a larger and probably full grown one.
My son has seen them twice bow hunting. My neighbor saw one while hunting. For sure they are in Chequamegon Forest. They are in the central part and on the edges and all over Wisconsin. I have talked to many people and sightings are from all over. Of course, the cats have a wide territory and the males kick the younger males out to make new territory, so there are many transient males moving all the time, I would presume.

Your sightings again attest to a breading population. How many pets can there be? DNR says this from state to state....same old same old. dash
Educated Property Owner

Oshkosh, WI

#41 Feb 21, 2006
Hey,
Mrs. Dash
You never saw one, but you son did, you friends uncle bubba did…
So what.
I’ll bet you all the moonshine you could ever drink “Big Cats” are not the biggest threat the school children are at peril with.

How about cars! There is evidence of a breading population, I see big ones, and little ones.

And drugs, and pedophiles, idiot parents, liberal media…cats rank pretty low. Just before Bigfoot and aliens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scott Walker campaign broke no laws during reca... Jul 17 goonsquad 14
News Teen who was shot, paralyzed by robbery target ... Jul 16 KRIS 1
News VA Scandal Stinks From the Top Jul 15 VIETNAM VETERAN 3
News Proposal limiting publics access to CCAP clears... (Feb '10) Jul 9 mustang 24
News Scott Walker's wife, toughened by life, adds st... Jul 6 USA Today 1
News Bernie Sanders Draws Big Crowd to Wisconsin Rally Jul 3 arcanaknight 18
Convicted rapist Ralph Armstrong. Did He get aw... Jul '15 AAA 5
More from around the web