Mequon, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2005

Judged:

I swear I saw a cougar on the Douglas / Washburn County line last summer. DNR says WI has no cougars. Am I nuts? This was no bobcat....
monikers

Since: Dec 05

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2005

jrhotwhlz wrote:
I swear I saw a cougar on the Douglas / Washburn County line last summer. DNR says WI has no cougars. Am I nuts? This was no bobcat....
I KNOW I saw one a few years ago, it was in the middle of a dark, newly-plowed field, very easy to spot and identify. We were on I94, probably St Croix county, but it may have been Dunn Co.
Dhowdy

Altoona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2006

jrhotwhlz wrote:
Nope u are not nuts it was a few years ago I also saw it in washburn, infact my father told me I was nuts but after I took him out to where I was and showed him tracks we called DNR they said they had been tracking one for weeks no clue where it came from but it scared the shorts off me!
Josh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2006

My wife and I saw one in the baraboo area a few months ago.
I am pretty sure thats what it was. It was HUGE!!!!!
MPJ

Davenport, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2006

About five years ago near Blue River, Wis., in northern Grant County (southwest Wisconsin) a DNR official reported seeing a cougar. This was not a citizen, but a DNR employee who worked at Wilson State Nursey. The incident was widely reported in the local media at the time. The nearby area of Castle Rock has also been the scene of cougar sightings for years. The cat is simply known as the "Castle Rock Cougar."
AlinIronRiver

Durand, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2006

Judged:

jrhotwhlz wrote:
There have been many sitings of a cougar around Delta Lake near Iron River. Years ago the DNR denied sitings of wolves in Wisconsin also. They feared the locals would panic and cause an uproar, and they were probably right. However, this does not cause one to trust in the DNR too much after they mislead everyone.
Larry Woford

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2006

Judged:

What you are seeing are escaped pets. It takes a large population of cougars to sustain a wild population, genetically speaking, as experiments are showing in Florida. Also cougars kill a deer ,their real food source for eons, about every 7 to ten days; that is a lot of deer kills for a surviving group of wild cougars in any area.That evidence would be overwhelming.
AlinIronRiver

Durand, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2006

Judged:

Larry Woford wrote:
What you are seeing are escaped pets. It takes a large population of cougars to sustain a wild population, genetically speaking, as experiments are showing in Florida. Also cougars kill a deer ,their real food source for eons, about every 7 to ten days; that is a lot of deer kills for a surviving group of wild cougars in any area.That evidence would be overwhelming.
A few years back, people around Washburn, WI. started seeing a cougar around the area. There were a few sitings. The local authorities were aware of a local resident who owned two pet cougars and were quick to blame the sitings on his cougars. But the thing is, he didn't lose any cougars. They didn't escape from the zoo because there is no zoo around Washburn. There are lots of deer in Bayfield County and a few hundred missing deer would hardly be noticed. Early this last summer there were quite a few does with new fawns around. But by deer season most hunters reported seeing lots of adult deer but few fawns. I suspect the bears and wolves got many of the fawns and possibly a few taken by cougars. Escaped pet cougars just don't make much sense when I rarely see anyone walking their pet cats down the sidewalk (just once in Washburn--it was a bit freaky).
Tracey Sroka - Helfer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2006

As a young girl I was raised in Pelican Lake. Some where between there and Rhinelander there lives a cougar or maybe two. Many of the locals have seen it and reported it to the DNR who basically have said it must have been someone's pet they let loose, but as well all know in small towns you know who owns what and what your neighbor is doing. No one knew of anyone that had one as a cub or any petting zoos that had one. Then DNR is a part of our lovely GOV. that leads the public to believe what THEY want us to believe. For the fear that we are all gun and shot um up crazy people, that will panic if told the truth. As one other person stated about the Wolf sightings reported to the DNR they told the public that there were no wolfs in WI. That was until one deer hunting season when someone mistaked a wolf for a coyote and shot it. Then they fessed up and said yes they had located a pack and they were being reinduced in WI. Now you can't shoot coyotes during deer season. Wake up people.. you KNOW what YOU saw! They are here and have plenty to eat for deer. The deer popluation has not seen a harsh winter in many years. And the great northern woods is very vast, I believe it can support many Cats, specially if they live off the tourist and the garbage they toss out. The bears do, as well as many other critters. Think about it.
Brian Miller

Holmen, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2006

I saw my first cougar between New Glarus & Monticello Wisconsin while bow-hunting in about 1985 during a snow storm. It was a small one but it was a cougar. I saw it up too close.
I saw the second one in 2003 in the Chequamegon Forest near Clam Lake Wisconsin near my hunting camp. I was again, bow-hunting. This one was a larger and probably full grown one.
Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2006

AP) Willmar, Minn. Police in Willmar, Minn. say a cougar was captured near Kennedy Elementary School after being seen running through a residential neighborhood.

Officers received a 911 call around 7:45 Tuesday morning and found the cougar in a tree when they arrived. Before an officer with a tranquilizer gun arrived, the cougar left the tree and ran around the neighborhood.

School officials made sure all the children were inside and locked the doors.

The animal was laying under a large camper trailer and was shot with four doses of tranquilizer, then taken to a local veterinary clinic around 10:30 Tuesday morning.

Police are investigating to determine whether the animal is a pet or if it is wild. Police Captain Dave Wyffels says it would be unusual for a wild cougar to come into a city with many people around.

Police said the cat didn't attack any people or pets.
gregg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2006

jrhotwhlz wrote:
ain't a cougar a car?
gregg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2006

Judged:

ain't a cougar a car?
Educated Property Owner

Oshkosh, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2006

Judged:

I saw one at the zoo, I saw a lion there too.
Laura Kuehn

Eagle River, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2006

I saw a cougar in Vilas Co., on Hwy. 70 between Lac du Flambeau and Minocqua. This was about 12 years ago on my way to work early in the morning. I know what I saw. There was no mistaking it. Later, I was talking to another social worker near Ashland, and his wife had seen a black cougar near Ashland within the past year. Why would people think they are not here? They are confirmed in neighboring states, so do people think they stop at the state borders?
Matt

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2006

There seeing them again in the area u just explained. Someone has a trailcam photo of it!
Educated Property Owner

Oshkosh, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2006

Judged:

Wow, A “Trailcam”!
Well that is certainly definitive proof of a creature existing…wherever the possessor claims the picture was taken.

Does it matter? Does someone have money on the point?
Dash

Wausau, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2006

You are not nuts. I have seen a cougaar in Wisconsin. I have also collected stories of sightings, police reports, seen prints etc. The DNR I think is afraid to admit that the cougars are here. There are documented sightings of cougars with cubs.
Over the midwest, when cougars are sighted, the DNR will say that they are loosened pets. I think that is to stop panic. However I believe that information is power.

Right now there is a professor from Stevens Point searching for proof, hair, scat, etc. I have talked to nearly a hundred people that have seen cougars in Wisconsin, and I have collected information on sightings for over 10 years. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2006

Jerry wrote:
AP) Willmar, Minn. Police in Willmar, Minn. say a cougar was captured near Kennedy Elementary School after being seen running through a residential neighborhood.

Officers received a 911 call around 7:45 Tuesday morning and found the cougar in a tree when they arrived. Before an officer with a tranquilizer gun arrived, the cougar left the tree and ran around the neighborhood.

School officials made sure all the children were inside and locked the doors.

The animal was laying under a large camper trailer and was shot with four doses of tranquilizer, then taken to a local veterinary clinic around 10:30 Tuesday morning.

Police are investigating to determine whether the animal is a pet or if it is wild. Police Captain Dave Wyffels says it would be unusual for a wild cougar to come into a city with many people around.

Police said the cat didn't attack any people or pets.
Across the country, I have been collecting cougar/puma/mt lion/ reports for years .... and I have noted that many many times there have been sightings very near elementry schools. I think it is only a matter of time, before some child is harmed by a cougar.

We had a sighting in Merrill Wisconsin of a cougar inside the city limits,(I also saw one a couple miles -- if that-- from the city limits)...the in city limits sighting was just a couple city blocks from the elementry school. I have the police report.

Nothing was done, not a word in the paper, nothing but the police report. That was the second time I think the cougar was on that city street, the week before the garbage was torn apart, and it was attributed to a bear.

Another sighting last year was outside of Merrill, between Antigo WI and Merrill WI, and there was a deer hauled into a tree, and a person saw the cougar. I was unable to contact the person.
Cougars are all over the US. From California to the East coast. I get reports all the time. I have "google" alerts etc. set up for me to get them automatically in the news. dash
Dash

Wausau, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2006

Larry Woford wrote:
I beg to differ with you. One report I have is of a Mt lion,(same as cougar) traveling over 700 miles. The male lions kick out the teenagers and they have to establish new territory. ND puts collars on some cougars and track them. So it is entirely possible that mt lions or cougars can be anywhere, in search of mates. It is not unusual for mt lions to travel hundreds of miles.

There are documented by the police and DNR sightings and road kill all over the midwest. The cats are here. dash

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 95
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••