Wisconsin union leaders blast Walker plan to end bargaining rights for state employees

Full story: TwinCities.com

Gov. Scott Walker said Friday that he wants to end collective bargaining for nearly all public employees because the state is broke and there's no point negotiating with the unions when there is nothing to offer.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smartass

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

thankfully, we here in Minnesota we have Gov Mark Dayton who can, has and will use the veto power to stop these nut cases here. Gov Dayton gave good reasons why he had to veto the other day.
Robert Kilps

Cleveland, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

A MAJORITY of the American citizens of Wisconsin voted this guy into office to get this once great State of Wisconsin back on track. Scott was born and raised in this state. I believe he loves this state, and the people (most people)living in it. I know he will sincerely try to simply do the right thing-----for the state (and the people who truly love living in Wisconsin.) And as far as all you union 'whiners' go I was always under the assumption that the unions were all about doing what's good for the people----not for the individual. Our state--RIGHT NOW--needs you union people to help out. You've been riding 1st class for many years. Well guess what? The bus ran out of gas and we need everyone to get out of your 'easy seat' and help push the bus to it's next destination.
unions suck

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Unions want to dump pensions on taxpayers

Legislation introduced last week could shift costs of union pension plans to taxpayers in an attempt to stave off organized labor’s pension funding crisis.

Senator Bob Casey, Pennsylvania Democrat, introduced the Create Jobs & Save Benefits Act of 2010 to address the funding problems faced by union-administered multi-employer pension plans.

Multi-employer pension plans have to cover the benefits of members, even if their companies are defunct.

(Excerpt)

http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/06/troubled-la...

----------

"Study: Calif. pensions underfunded by $500 billion"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

Every pension plan in America should become a defined contribution plan.
What was contributed
What was it's actual ROI
Minus what was borrowed and spent on worthless crap.
The rest is what you get to retire on.

Deal with it.

This makes your SS contributions look great until you get to the third line where you realize that the US Gov has borrowed and spent it all leaving you with nothing.

Walker Rocks

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Outrageous public-employee pension obligations

Want to know the single biggest reason why New York City is thinking about laying off thousands of teachers, jacking up parking meter fees and scaling back fire protection?

The answer boils down to one word: pensions.

The public pension time bomb that fiscal watchdogs and this page have warned about for years is now exploding - and ripping huge holes in government budgets across the state.

No municipality will sustain more damage than New York City, which next year faces a mind-boggling pension tab of $8.35 billion - a 19% increase in one year - at a time when Mayor Bloomberg and the City Council are forced to hack away at practically every other expenditure.

And the devastating drain will keep getting worse unless Albany lawmakers finally stand up to the public employee unions, dump the current retirement system and replace it with something taxpayers can afford.

Until that day, the city faces agonizing tradeoffs.

Take, for example, the Fire Department's boneheaded plan to charge drivers as much as $490 for responding to accident scenes. Is it any wonder, when the FDNY spends more on pensions and other fringe benefits than it does on salaries?

(Excerpt)

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/12/1...

----------

"No municipality will sustain more damage than New York City, which next year faces a mind-boggling pension tab of $8.35 billion - a 19% increase in one year "

California has the 8th largest economy in the world, and yet 80% of every dime they spend is on salaries, benefits, and pensions.
These public employee unions will eventually bring all of the States down.
Gov Pee Wee Hitler

Cedarburg, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2011

Judged:

I thought the Repuklickants were all for anti-government control? This move by Walko is the epitome of government control. First its Bush, and his Patriot Act laws for wiretapping and intercepting our personal calls and mail. Now little the little fascists Walko, will start making all overtime, vacations, and benefits for all jobs illegal in Wisconsin. Welcome to the third world!
Penny

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2011

Judged:

What a dumb headline. What did you expect, the unions to embrace the idea that public salaries will be held under the states control?
Max

Neillsville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

I say power to Walker. It is about time that we do something on the over spending here in WI. We have positions in this state that have been split into 3 - 4 positions and can be handled by 1 or 2. For example we have a state position called an "egg inspector" that is paid over $20.00 and hour to go from store to store to inspect the quality of eggs. Seriously that is all that person does...inspect eggs. When this person was approched in a local market out of curiosity, their remark to "what do you do?" was "My only responsibility is making sure that eggs are of high quality". This should not be a separate position from the Food Safety Inpector position.

Another example is our a county owned healthcare facility that employs 7 personnel in their Health Information Department of a facility that has 146 beds. Two people can handle the responsibilities of that department and has been proven in non-profit facilities of the same bed capacity. But because of "union" status these people are kept at county expense. If that department would downsize and delegate more responsibility to the two kept you would see a great savings in payroll and this is only one department. Again because of "union" they wouldn't think of downsizing. Management doesn't want to take on a union because it is too much "work".

Union is a collective way of keeping people in positions that first of all shouldn't be in that position and secondly sustain unneeded numbers of employees in department and protect jobs and management from downsizing.

Medical facilities should not have unions because it does keep too many people in jobs that could be harmful to the people that they serve, but again if you are in a union and employed at a medical facility you can get away with just about anything.

We the tax payers are paying for the union personnel across the state. Did you ever try to call a state department with questions and speak with someone that "knew" absolutely nothing about what you are asking? Bingo... You ought to try to get answers to a vehicle registration...a person I know sent in the registratin the beginning of Dec. 2010 and still doesn't have the plates or paper work back as of today Feb. 14, 2011. When called about it last week the answer was..."I am sorry sir, it hasn't been processed yet....."

The last I knew was that state and local jobs were to serve the people of this state and not "serve yourself with high pay and low work responsibility service". Many state employees have commented on how easy their jobs are and what great pay. Something wrong here.... so I say Mr. Walker "IT'S ABOUT TIME". Maybe we will end up with state and local employees that actually know how to do their jobs and actually do the work.
a disputatious girl

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

People are saying how state jobs are soo easy. Maybe you should try being a teacher. They are already completely underpaid for what they do. shit, teachers pretty much raise your children for you. They don't just babysit your kids all day, they need to teach them the curriculm, while keeping them interested in learning plus teach them morals and values. Then when they go home teachers have to make lesson plans for the next day grade homework, create homework, create tests, write evaluations, progress reports, report cards. IT BECOMES THEIR LIFE!!
so now you want to cut their pay and their medical benefits so that you can save a little money. most teachers need good health care because they are exposed to soooooo many germs throughout each day. Teachers probably get the most colds, flus and strange diseases that usually only kids get. Teachers need their benefits!!

Just because private sector jobs are losing benefits doesn't mean that you can take them away from people who have them. YOU CHOSE TO WORK WHERE YOU DO, THEY MADE A DIFFERENT CHOICE. stop whining because you made the wrong choice. When the economy is out of the recession and you are making ridiculously more than all the state and local workers, are they going to try and take your pay away from you? no because they made their choice and have accepted it!
laughing a bit

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

What I find kind of funny about the whole thing is the people leading the Scott Walker charge (conservatives with likely nothing above a high school education, you can't be very well educated and think what is happening will have no repercussions)are going to be competing for jobs with heavily trained well educated displaced union workers. I wonder how that is going to work out for them :)
Sheila

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

a disputatious girl wrote:
People are saying how state jobs are soo easy. Maybe you should try being a teacher. They are already completely underpaid for what they do.****, teachers pretty much raise your children for you most teachers need good health care because they are exposed to soooooo many germs throughout each day. Teachers probably get the most colds, flus and strange diseases that usually only kids get. Teachers need their benefits!!
Wow, I've come to expect stupid posts from teachers but yours is hilarious. You REALLY need to go get some help from your union leadership or a smarter liberal because your arguments are dumber than what my teenage son comes up with.
Sheila

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

laughing a bit wrote:
What I find kind of funny about the whole thing is the people leading the Scott Walker charge (conservatives with likely nothing above a high school education, you can't be very well educated and think what is happening will have no repercussions)are going to be competing for jobs with heavily trained well educated displaced union workers. I wonder how that is going to work out for them :)
W T F are you talking about you arrogant boob? College degrees? Most people I know have one and not from some 3rd tier college like most in government. Technical training? Abundant people readily available. In the real world you need to produce and you unionists will be standing around with a deer in the headlights look. I know, I've worked with former union people and most have to be canned in about 2 weeks because they can't cut it.
Not Your Way

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

Smartass wrote:
thankfully, we here in Minnesota we have Gov Mark Dayton who can, has and will use the veto power to stop these nut cases here. Gov Dayton gave good reasons why he had to veto the other day.
Thankfully we have a republican legislature that can override Goof Dayton and enact the reform we need to save our state from urban liberal a s s e s like you.
Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

God, I love this Gov!
Penny

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

People are saying how state jobs are soo easy. Maybe you should try being a teacher. They are already completely underpaid for what they do.****, teachers pretty much raise your children for you. They don't just babysit your kids all day, they need to teach them the curriculm, while keeping them interested in learning plus teach them morals and values. Then when they go home teachers have to make lesson plans for the next day grade homework, create homework, create tests, write evaluations, progress reports, report cards. IT BECOMES THEIR LIFE!!
so now you want to cut their pay and their medical benefits so that you can save a little money. most teachers need good health care because they are exposed to soooooo many germs throughout each day. Teachers probably get the most colds, flus and strange diseases that usually only kids get. Teachers need their benefits!!
Just because private sector jobs are losing benefits doesn't mean that you can take them away from people who have them. YOU CHOSE TO WORK WHERE YOU DO, THEY MADE A DIFFERENT CHOICE. stop whining because you made the wrong choice. When the economy is out of the recession and you are making ridiculously more than all the state and local workers, are they going to try and take your pay away from you? no because they made their choice and have accepted it!
While I agree that there are some very good teachers who definitely give more than they get, there are also teachers who are not worthy of the responsibility they are given of educating our children. And that goes to the core of the problem. The unions do not just support the excellent, deserving teachers, they work to keep them all employed no matter who they are or how they teach. All union employees that are state workers enjoy the same level of support irregardless of their job performance. So you have some real slackers tainting the pool. Once again, until they are willing to cull the herd from within, they will all suffer the same consequences. I have a daughter and a niece who are teachers. They both have masters and will admit to the fact that not all teachers should be in the classrooms. But with the union, trying to get these people out of the schools is nearly impossible unless they really do something horrific. There are teachers with many years experience who should have left teaching the minute their patience ran out instead of taking it out their frustration on every young mind they come in contact with.
Spalding

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

People are saying how state jobs are soo easy. Maybe you should try being a teacher. They are already completely underpaid for what they do. shit, teachers pretty much raise your children for you. They don't just babysit your kids all day, they need to teach them the curriculm, while keeping them interested in learning plus teach them morals and values. Then when they go home teachers have to make lesson plans for the next day grade homework, create homework, create tests, write evaluations, progress reports, report cards. IT BECOMES THEIR LIFE!!
Completely Underpaid. Well let's see. Not including vacation, there's roughly 39 weeks in a school year. For a 40 hour week that comes to 1560 hours. If a teacher makes 30,000 a year. That comes out to 19.23 an hour. That's not bad. So if you take that hourly rate and multiply it by the 2080 hours, what most salaries are based on, that same employee is making the same hourly wage as a 40,000 dollar yearly employee. I don't call that underpaid.

I'll save you the time. You can throw the after school work out the window. I don't get paid when the pager goes off at 2AM. Teachers aren't the only one that have to work after hours.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

Gov Pee Wee Hitler wrote:
I thought the Repuklickants were all for anti-government control? This move by Walko is the epitome of government control. First its Bush, and his Patriot Act laws for wiretapping and intercepting our personal calls and mail. Now little the little fascists Walko, will start making all overtime, vacations, and benefits for all jobs illegal in Wisconsin. Welcome to the third world!
These are GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. Paid for with TAXPAYER MONEY.

They don't like feeling like they are being attacked? JOIN THE CLUB because that's how taxpayers from the private sector feel so often.

The third world is where dictators consider the population their personal workforce and they bribe people into supporting their regime by promising them jobs and loot that is stolen from the people.

Sound familiar?

------By the way, the Patriot Act was bi-partisan and voted to be extended by a Democrat-controlled government and now extended again by a Republican-controlled congress.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
W T F are you talking about you arrogant boob? College degrees? Most people I know have one and not from some 3rd tier college like most in government. Technical training? Abundant people readily available. In the real world you need to produce and you unionists will be standing around with a deer in the headlights look. I know, I've worked with former union people and most have to be canned in about 2 weeks because they can't cut it.
No kidding. What delusions that poster spewed. Most of the things I have heard from people who have dealt with unions are that they resort to being brutish and clan-like at the drop of a hat. Sounds primitive and uneducated to me. Machines have to be reenforced (which costs extra money) because they tend to "get broken" if some union member wants to "make a point".

There was a riot at a tire plant in my city a few years back and union members threw rocks at people and one guy was asked why he did that and he said that the "scabs" came out and "sniffed their paychecks" to mock them. Oh yah, reverting to savage behavior because of a sarcastic gesture screams higher education.
Smith_St_Guy

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Walker is a hero! It's high time government workers get a taste of the world the people that pay their salaries live in.

I refuse to work until I'm 70 so a public employee can retire at 50.
TaxTaxTax

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Those protestors appear manical and angry. I'm not sure I would want any of them near my kids...let alone teaching them!
WISTATEEMPLOYEE

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

I am an employee of the UW system and do not mind giving up some of the cushy benefits we have. I have worked in both private sector and state jobs and do agree state employees are underpaid. This being said...the union is the cause of it. The union holds back free will and ties our hands on decision making of responsible and well fitting employees. It's crazy to have to keep someone on who does not do their job just because the union says we have to. I am all for them having less power and will take a pay cut just like the rest of America to do it.

And to these Dems who have run out of the state and on their people...I say don't come back. Change is coming and you are next....

GO WALKER GO!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••