Washington orchards desperate for app...

Washington orchards desperate for apple pickers

There are 23 comments on the Maktoob Business story from Nov 9, 2011, titled Washington orchards desperate for apple pickers. In it, Maktoob Business reports that:

Apple growers say they could have had one of their best years ever if a shortage of workers hadn't forced them to leave some fruit on trees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Maktoob Business.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#1 Nov 9, 2011
THE ABC'S OF IMMIGRATION - H-2A VISAS FOR TEMPORARY AGRICULTURAL WORKERS

Requirements:

There are two general requirements to obtain workers on H-2A visas. First,
the employer must demonstrate that there are not sufficient able, willing
and qualified US workers available at the time and place needed. Second, the
employer must show the use of foreign workers will not create an adverse
effect on the wages or working conditions of similarly employed US workers.
Farmworkers generally receive either an hourly wage or are paid by the
piece. However, under the H-2A program H-2A workers must be offered the same
wage as US workers. This has been interpreted to mean the higher of the
following:

The industry's prevailing wage in the relevant labor market,

The state or federal minimum wage, or

The "adverse effect wage rate"

The adverse effect wage rate, or AEWR, is currently set at the prior year's
average hourly wage for agricultural and livestock workers determined by the
Department of Agriculture. For workers who are paid by the piece, if their
wages are not equal to the AEWR, the employer must make up the difference.
On or before each day when the H-2A worker is paid, the employer must
provide the worker with an earnings statement detailing the alien's total
earnings, whether the alien is paid hourly or by the piece, the hours of
work offered, and the hours actually worked.

Employers are required to provide H-2A workers with a number of benefits.

The employee must be provided with transportation to and from the worker's
temporary home to the workplace.

When the contract period is up, the employer must provide the worker with
transportation home or to their next workplace.

Employers must provide housing to all H-2A workers who do not commute. The
housing must be inspected by the Department of Labor and must meet minimum
federal standards for temporary labor camps.

The employer must either provide three meals a day or facilities in which
the worker can prepare food.

The employer must also provide any tools and supplies necessary to perform
the work.

The employer must also provide workers' compensation insurance to H-2A
workers.

http://www.visalaw.com/00jul2/12jul200.html

NOW YOU KNOW WHY "FARMERS" LIKE TO USE ILLEGAL ALIENS!
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#2 Nov 9, 2011
If they had hired legal workers in the first place as the law requires they would not be in this position now. This is no different than a drug dealer crying that they can't make money because the police are enforcing drug laws.
Right On

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Nov 9, 2011
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
If they had hired legal workers in the first place as the law requires they would not be in this position now. This is no different than a drug dealer crying that they can't make money because the police are enforcing drug laws.
Exactly!

“COGNITIVE DISSONANCE”

Since: Apr 11

FIGHT AGAINST ENTROPY!!!!

#4 Nov 9, 2011
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
Yup! Or as I've suggested before, why don't we just ignore all the child labor laws that are such pesky impediments to the manufacturing industry?

Hypocrisy.... it's the life blood of the law breakers and their corrupt enablers!!

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#5 Nov 9, 2011
I am sick of these damn fruit growers demanding the "right" to break the law and hire illegals. They don't pay the social costs of these criminal parasites. That's dumped on the taxpayers.
Right On

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Nov 9, 2011
Speeders Kill Kids.... exactly! If I wanted to support foreigners, I'd do it by sponsoring them. I have no desire to sponsor them, however.
NutCracker

Santa Ana, CA

#7 Nov 9, 2011
I guess it's time to eat Sun Dried Apples. This is a classic situation of Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone.

Enforce the laws but fix what's already broken. We've got millions here and they've gatta be accounted for. Too bad common sense doesn't grow on trees, and even if it did, I guess the ones picking it would be the undocumented workers. Wake up America and enough of the arrogance. Let us unite to improve what was once a great place. We kiiled it ourselves and we've lost our charm.

All of you suggesting a decent wage, think twice what you are suggesting, and ask yourself if you'd pay twice as much for your produce.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#8 Nov 9, 2011
NutCracker wrote:
I guess it's time to eat Sun Dried Apples. This is a classic situation of Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone.
Enforce the laws but fix what's already broken. We've got millions here and they've gatta be accounted for. Too bad common sense doesn't grow on trees, and even if it did, I guess the ones picking it would be the undocumented workers. Wake up America and enough of the arrogance. Let us unite to improve what was once a great place. We kiiled it ourselves and we've lost our charm.
All of you suggesting a decent wage, think twice what you are suggesting, and ask yourself if you'd pay twice as much for your produce.
Since field labor accounts for less than 3% of the cost then doubling the pickers pay would not result in twice the cost but don't let the facts influence your opinion.
Foxes and Hounds

Compton, CA

#9 Nov 9, 2011
I'm reluctant to believe what a farmer says.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#10 Nov 9, 2011
Funny the web site for fruit picking employment in Washington state does not reflect what the stories are saying

Northwest "Labor force is adequate for now. No housing is available."

North Central "There is an adequate labor force."

Columbia Basin "The labor force is adequate, with adequate housing available."

South Central "Labor force is adequate at this time."

Eastern "The labor supply is adequate."

http://www.wa.gov/esd/farmworkers/farm_jobs.h...

By the way the rates they are paying have not increased.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#11 Nov 9, 2011
The H-2A Program
A few farm jobs are currently available through the H-2A program. The hourly minimum wage for H-2A jobs is $10.60 per hour. For additional information about the H-2A program, see What is H-2A?

Does not sound "desperate" to me.
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Nov 9, 2011
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
Is there such a thing as a drug dealer who can't make money in a lucrative such as market ours?
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Nov 10, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there such a thing as a drug dealer who can't make money in a lucrative such as market ours?
I meant to say"lucrative market such as ours"
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#14 Nov 10, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is if the area they deal in has a strong enforcement policy. Like illegal aliens or any other criminal that lives in an area that aggressively enforces the law it becomes more difficult and less profitable to violate the law.
marcos

United States

#15 Feb 6, 2012
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
... Hellow!! Legal workers dnt want to work out there its cold or hot and really hard work.. But of course someone is to blame exept for the people laying down at home receiving Public assistance. Oh but they do have MUCH to complain about.. Right? The hard worker gets sent back home to Mexico and the lazy one gets a card that he gets to swipe on the 1st of each month. THATS FAIR!! N ranch owners r hard workers too!! But how would u know.. Right?
marcos

United States

#16 Feb 6, 2012
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
I am sick of these damn fruit growers demanding the "right" to break the law and hire illegals. They don't pay the social costs of these criminal parasites. That's dumped on the taxpayers.
.. Actually an illegal will pay with jail n then get deported on the other hand a citizen gets a ticket n continues on, at least in my case RETIRED SARGEANT runs a red light, hits a 10 yr old n gets a $100 ticket. Oh!! But shes MEXICAN who cares if shes 6 months n a hospital n stuck to a wheelchair n respirator for the rest of her life.. Right!! Talk about discrimination.. What did my baby know or owe? Inspite of everything i can still say IM NOT RACIST.. But justice wasnt served in my babys case
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#17 Feb 6, 2012
marcos wrote:
<quoted text>... Hellow!! Legal workers dnt want to work out there its cold or hot and really hard work.. But of course someone is to blame exept for the people laying down at home receiving Public assistance. Oh but they do have MUCH to complain about.. Right? The hard worker gets sent back home to Mexico and the lazy one gets a card that he gets to swipe on the 1st of each month. THATS FAIR!! N ranch owners r hard workers too!! But how would u know.. Right?
Actually there is a web site http://www.wa.gov/esd/farmworkers/farm_jobs.h... that is run by the state of Washington to connect farm workers with jobs. The information is no longer there because the season is over but when it was updated in October as I recall on the 8th all but one or two counties were listed as having sufficient labor. The counties that did have a shortage did not have housing available making it rather unattractive for transient labor.
I do agree that that there are lazy people on welfare, many of whom are anchor babies, but getting free loaders off welfare is not the subject.
The subject is a shortage of apple pickers in Washington and the truth is their was no shortage. If there is a shortage of workers they could always do like every honest employer does and improve their compensation package.
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#18 Feb 6, 2012
By the way check out all the H2A jobs. Looks like farmers are not looking to hire immigrants legally.
gweny

Cathlamet, WA

#19 Mar 23, 2012
Seriously!!! What American is seriously gonna sign up to pick apples!?! This is a ridiculous discussion... Bitch about illegals and then you don't wanna stand make a difference by going to help the farmers. None of us americans would help!! we are lazy, and spoiled!!! Get over it!!!!

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#20 Mar 24, 2012
gweny wrote:
Seriously!!! What American is seriously gonna sign up to pick apples!?! This is a ridiculous discussion... Bitch about illegals and then you don't wanna stand make a difference by going to help the farmers. None of us americans would help!! we are lazy, and spoiled!!! Get over it!!!!
"We are all lazy, and spoiled!!(sic)" Speak for yourself,dearie.I worked my way through college,bought a house , paid off a mortgage,went back to school for another degree. I now work 40-60 hours in a career I love,do my own yard work and clean my own damn house.Laziness is your problem,not mine.

As far as field work;the able-bodied using govt. programs can be loaded on buses and transported to work...of course,the Dim-o-crats wouldn't hold still for that plan due to angering their voter base.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US currency to feature an African-American for ... Tue Fit2Serve 233
Democrats Rule May 2 K Balduin 1
News Study analyzes impact of Washington state coal-... Apr 30 litesong 1
News John Wayne Pioneer Trail supporters head to Oly... Apr 29 Silver Gingerich 1
News Schools get tested on their earthquake safety, ... Apr 22 Jaimie 5
Bernie Sanders Apr 16 VeganTiger 5
News 'The War Is Not Over' (Sep '06) Apr 15 Just Slim 276,658
More from around the web