Sid Goss

Longview, WA

#1 Dec 26, 2008
I'm still amazed by the strange jingoistic fervor Vermonters (including my family) have for their home state. I couldn't wait to get out. I've traveled extensively throughout the U.S. since college (20 years ago), and nowhere else I've been have I encountered such a collection of self-important (but not too bright) people. To steal a line from Will Ferrell (speaking about many of the characters he plays): these people have unearned confidence, and lots of it.

I can't even eat maple syrup anymore.
THEGrnMtnBoy

Stoddard, NH

#2 Mar 8, 2013
Sid Goss wrote:
I'm still amazed by the strange jingoistic fervor Vermonters (including my family) have for their home state. I couldn't wait to get out. I've traveled extensively throughout the U.S. since college (20 years ago), and nowhere else I've been have I encountered such a collection of self-important (but not too bright) people. To steal a line from Will Ferrell (speaking about many of the characters he plays): these people have unearned confidence, and lots of it.
Yep. Gone downhill bad in the last 20yrs. TOO many libs moved in. I fight hard trying to find a way to stay here. It's getting old. The present government thinks everyone has a bottomless pocket.
Jack

Naugatuck, CT

#3 Apr 7, 2013
Just started doing my homework on Vt. I'm moving out of Ct. By passing the new gun laws, the politicians have made it perfectly clear that they don't want me here. I realize that Vt. is a liberal state, but from what I've read so far that doesn't seem to have an affect on their view on guns. Thoughts?
Liberal state

San Diego, CA

#4 Apr 17, 2013
Are "liberal" and the Second Amendment mutually exclusive?
Jack

Naugatuck, CT

#5 Apr 25, 2013
Liberal state, although a liberal state, they don't have gun control and there isn't any problems. I just don't want to buy property there only to have them go the way of Ct., Mass., N.Y. etc. Just looking to set down roots somewhere for the next 40 or so years without the infringement.
Jack

Naugatuck, CT

#6 May 16, 2013
Never mind, folks. Found a great building lot in New Hampshire. Take care of yourselves.
ABC

New York, NY

#7 Dec 11, 2013
Vermont sucks for many varied reasons. It is utterly saturated with self-righteous, hyper-liberal morons who live on their trust-funds and demand that those who work pay the bill for all the welfare scum. The "locals" are a dumb and rude lot who think that being "true Vermonters" has made them annointed by God or something. Herds of truly ignorant idiots who blindly think that Vermont is the only state with any kind of natural beauty. Let me tell you, I lived in the Blue Ridge in western Virginia and it was every bit as beautiful, if not more, and the cost of living was half what it is in this pinched hole and the people were way nicer. Yeah, Vermont is over-rated. The place sucks.
Trevor

Bennington, VT

#8 Apr 14, 2014
Jack wrote:
Just started doing my homework on Vt. I'm moving out of Ct. By passing the new gun laws, the politicians have made it perfectly clear that they don't want me here. I realize that Vt. is a liberal state, but from what I've read so far that doesn't seem to have an affect on their view on guns. Thoughts?
Some quick advice. I a a retired Ct. State Trooper. We spent many summers here in Vermont and eventually did the absolute dumbest thing we have ever done. Yep--bought a house here in the Greed Mountain State. This place is horrible. Taxes? You wouldn't believe them. Friendly people? There are a few but you have to look really hard.
Lots of dark, gloomy, cold, humid, hot, rainy, snowy miserable days. The public school system is an utter joke. Kids can't make change and most aspire to nothingness.
Don't come here unless you want to be broken in two.
We have been trying to sell for 6 years now.
Vermont is not a destination it's a drive through.
Mud

New York, NY

#9 Apr 16, 2014
You'd be better off going to Idaho. Trust me, I live in Vermont...sooner or later this place will be an all out Communist gulag.
OhNo

Fort Mill, SC

#10 Apr 23, 2014
I am so sorry.
Former New Englander

Pasadena, CA

#12 Sep 26, 2014
When not if the (Petro)Dollar crashes in a year or so- most states will become Fergusons overnight The brutal truth is, even though CA is one of the biggest staes, with plenty of natural resources ans cash, it is so mismanaged that nothing done works much. The immigrants clamoring to get in NOW don't have a clue what disappointments await them-it's like they are being set up by the powers that be. We are forced to accept a bullet train, called the "boondoggle" in earthquake country no less. A historic drought, no end to that. Fight for what does NOT suck
Nick14

El Macero, CA

#13 Dec 3, 2014
I was living in Vermont for a year, and let's tell you that it was the most horrible experience of my life. On the contrary to what they claim, it is one of the worst place you can live in the US. It is a poor state, the weather in winter is awful, the roads and other infrastructure are so poor, and the people are often into themselves and ignorant. It is a rural state, not developed at all, and it seems the local people want it so, and afraid of change, technology, development and openness.
If you are a new immigrant (particularly a non-white), keep away from Vermont. It is definitely not a place for you. Diversity is almost zero there, and you wish to find someone to talk to!
If you like to be isolated, do not need people, afraid of a diverse society, afraid of development, do not care about modern life and only enjoy of being in a remote natural reserve, then choose Vermont to live, otherwise really keep distance.
VTblows

Montpelier, VT

#14 Jan 3, 2015
Sid Goss wrote:
I'm a 22 year old non wealthy transplant originally from CT. I moved to VT to live in my grandparents house with my family when my father lost his job about eight years ago, and it is only now that I can genuinely say with no reservation that I effing hate it here. There was never much of a social scene here, and with gas as pricey as it is now, I'm lucky if I can leave the house. Most other intelligent young people with the resources to do so left for college or greener pastures immediately after high school, leaving a cross section of druggies and hicks with zero ambition. The amount of ignorance and racism here is shocking for a state that is supposedly progressive. If you're not a Vermonter born and raised, you will never truly be welcome. Most of the large towns are dilapidated sh*tholes where you'd be lucky to find a job stacking pallets in a warehouse for fifty hours a week at minimum wage. There are also very few opportunities for young people by way of education. There are a handful of truly godawful community college campuses, truly mediocre state schools, and a smattering of elite liberal arts colleges for rich trustafarians from elsewhere. If you're young, ambitious, and your family does not have the money to send you to a school in another state or otherwise support you, you are essentially screwed here. Your only prayer is to languish at one of our truly, truly terrible community colleges until you can transfer out of state on scholarship. This was my plan, but with no resources and having to pay for everything out of my own pocket, a two year degree has morphed into a four year one while I desperately scrimp and save. I briefly attended college at a CC in Northwestern MA before a deterioration in my financial situation necessitated a move further North, and the difference was DRAMATIC. The other students were enthusiastic, and seemed generally motivated to do well, while the CC I attend in central Vermont is the polar opposite. The students are generally a group of apathetic druggies who are simply marking time until their grant money runs out.

If you're a young person, get out as soon as you can. There is nothing here for you. No jobs, no education, no social scene that does not involve drinking, smoking, or injecting yourself into a coma. Leave now.
jude

United States

#15 Feb 11, 2015
My husband and I moved from Massachusetts to vermont in 1999. The northeast is not cheap by any means. Vt however has such a disparity between rich and poor. Politics forget it. The elite want a utopia ignore our huge heroin problem and believe they have the right to enforce collective thinking. We are leaving this state. We love it's beauty but the radical ideology and cost of living are too much.
sectio

Rutland, VT

#16 Feb 16, 2015
I agree. Vermont is awful, close minded, non-progressive and downright annoying
scoobydew

Burlington, VT

#17 Friday Mar 13
Funny, because if you go to city-data forum it's like a chamber of commerce glossy advertisement for the state. But then, city-data moderators censor and remove everything they don't like and anything critical of their precious state.
Brooklyn Bernie

Tarrytown, NY

#18 Tuesday Mar 17
These comments are interesting, but most of Vermont's problems are not with natives and the average middle class working folk. It's the collection nouveau Vermonters; self-important, self-righteous, hyper-liberal morons who live off their trust-funds or are living off what is left of Mommy and Daddy’s money. They spend most of their life in a self-imposed THC and alcohol coma, preaching their delusional liberal utopian Vermont living fantasies; thumbing their noses at those who do not think the same. A good example of this stereotypical interloper is a condescending clown on the WCAX website who goes by the name John E. Bolog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vermont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protesters see long road ahead Mar 23 BDV 14
News Vt. pig farmer tied to popular pork recall Mar 20 Honest Vermonter 2
News State of the Unions: Shumlin Strikes Out With O... Mar 18 Unions not so much 2
News Despite calls to slow down, NRC grants Vermont ... (Mar '11) Feb 25 BDV 359
News Lawmakers praise gov's pitch for road, ag funding (Jan '14) Feb '15 other 5
News Resch: Are you an uphiller or a downhiller? Feb '15 fyi 1
News It's time to make purely economic decisions of ... Feb '15 markey the masshole 2
More from around the web