States put their own spin on Obama he...

States put their own spin on Obama health care law

There are 9 comments on the KWQC-TV Davenport story from Mar 15, 2011, titled States put their own spin on Obama health care law. In it, KWQC-TV Davenport reports that:

Rancor over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul has largely overshadowed some states' efforts to use the law to help them move as fast as possible to insure more people and increase control over insurance companies.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KWQC-TV Davenport.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#1 Mar 15, 2011
Those who run the Red states are FAR more concerned with sticking it to Obama than covering the uninsured. They don't WANT to increase control over insurance companies -- obviously those companies know best for everyone.
iballl need heal

Scottsdale, AZ

#2 Mar 16, 2011

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#3 Mar 16, 2011
Madaman wrote:
Those who run the Red states are FAR more concerned with sticking it to Obama than covering the uninsured. They don't WANT to increase control over insurance companies -- obviously those companies know best for everyone.
Did you see the article yesterday about the State of Minnesota screwing up and sending out duplicate tax refund checks to thousands upon thousands of people?

Yeah, I can not wait until the Government controls everything about health care.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#4 Mar 16, 2011
Massachusetts & Hawaii seem to have a decent plan, not perfect, but getting the job done.
-
Perhaps it should be left to each state to provide coverage to people that need it, and the states that want it can get subsidized by the feds, and those that don't, well, I guess they wouldn't be subsidized by the fed.
(sorta like the rail-infrastructure program, where a state can opt out)

“Sustainability Now!”

Vadnais Heights

#5 Mar 16, 2011
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the article yesterday about the State of Minnesota screwing up and sending out duplicate tax refund checks to thousands upon thousands of people?
Yeah, I can not wait until the Government controls everything about health care.
I saw a private auto sitting broken-down in the left lane yesterday. How can I POSSIBLY have any faith in the use of private vehicles for daily transportation?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Mar 16, 2011
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a private auto sitting broken-down in the left lane yesterday. How can I POSSIBLY have any faith in the use of private vehicles for daily transportation?
That is your come back?

Hey, hard to argue with logic like that. I will forever put my life's decisions in the hands of our Community Organizer President because he is The Chosen One.

I am with you now Madaman.
Wavey McWaiverson

Monroe, LA

#8 Mar 16, 2011
Number of healthcare reform law waivers climbs above 1,000

The number of temporary healthcare reform waivers granted by the Obama administration to organizations climbed to more than 1,000, according to new numbers disclosed by the Department of Health and Human Services.

HHS posted 126 new waivers on Friday, bringing the total to 1,040 organizations that have been granted a one-year exemption from a new coverage requirement included in the healthcare reform law enacted almost a year ago. Waivers have become a hot-button issue for Republicans, eager to expose any vulnerabilities in the reform law.

In order to avoid disruption in the insurance market, the healthcare overhaul gives HHS the power to grant waivers to firms that cannot meet new annual coverage limits in 2011. The waivers have typically been granted to so-called "mini-med" plans that offer limited annual coverage — as low as $2,000 — that would fall short of meeting the new annual coverage floor of $750,000 in 2011.

"We don't want to take away people's health insurance before they have some realistic other choices,” HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an interview with The Hill earlier this year.

Republican lawmakers have seized on the waivers as proof that the law they want to see repealed is flawed, and they have accused the administration of giving them waivers as gifts to union allies. The administration has rejected both claims as Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee have asked HHS for in-depth details about every waiver decision and request.

Most requests for waivers have been accepted, but dozens have been denied because they "did not demonstrate that compliance with the minimum annual limits requirements would significantly increase premiums or decrease access to benefits," an HHS spokeswoman told The Hill in January.

The waivers are meant as a stopgap measure until new state-run insurance exchanges open in 2014. Annual dollar limits will also be abolished by then.

About 2.6 million people are covered by the waivers, representing less than 2 percent of privately insured individuals, according to HHS.

The department also said the number of waivers has been steadily decreasing. HHS approved more than 500 in December, which it attributed to most plan years starting Jan. 1. It then approved 200 waivers in January and 126 in February.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-r...

In November the Obama Administration had already granted 111 Obamacare waivers to special US companies… And, they hid this information from the American public. It took 6 clicks to find out this information on the government’s health care website.

By January the number of companies granted Obamacare waivers jumped from 229 to 729 covering over 2.2 million employees. At least three SEIU Chapters, including one in Chicago, were included on the list.

If you use the page below, you’ll find links to several pdf files that are fairly current.--It's a cumbersome way to display both the data and the total number of waivers:

http://cciio.hhs.gov/resources/files/approved...

Currently there are 729 approved applicant waivers covering a total of 2,189,636 enrollees and four states (Mass, NJ, Tenn, Ohio).

Obama never intended the bill to hang together. What he will do, instead, is say, "This won't work. Let's do a government, single-payer, insurance," now that the insurance companies are in shambles and chaos abounds.

It was designed to kill off private sector healthcare and insurance. Period.

This is what is meant by "gangster government"- it's the Chicago Way.

“Sustainability Now!”

Vadnais Heights

#9 Mar 16, 2011
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your come back?
Hey, hard to argue with logic like that. I will forever put my life's decisions in the hands of our Community Organizer President because he is The Chosen One.
I am with you now Madaman.
I apologize if the metaphorical logic was hard to follow -- probably not as clear as I hoped.

My point is that to take an error by a State agency (mailing duplicate checks) is HARDLY cause to predict dire outcomes in health care reform at the Federal level. Sort of like if one car breaks down -- you can't trust ANY of them!

I NEVER suggested that President Obama is "The Chosen One," like some sort of deity. He IS the presidential candidate chosen by the electorate back in 2008.

I applaud your decision to "forever put my life's decisions in the hands of our Community Organizer President." Good followers are hard to come by, and your rather difficult conversion will inspire many.

Dinner is at 8:00. No co-pay.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#10 Mar 16, 2011
Obama is a weak leader and someone who doesn't really deliver a solid package. Everything he does seems to be half-assed and second rate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vermont Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News new Russia-linked malware found on US electric ... Jan 1 anonymous 34
News Sanders' Face on Underwear Line (Oct '15) Dec '16 Paul parenteau sr 33
News Minority Dem delegates frustrated with 'Bernie ... Jul '16 slick willie expl... 3
News Ben & Jerrya s Co-Founder Shares Bernie Sanders... (Oct '15) May '16 Three Psyche 27
News The Truth of the Matter: Let's try to keep them... (May '16) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News On Native GroundFUKUSHIMA Reminds Us of the Rea... (Mar '16) Mar '16 APEFARANGUMINDEBD... 2
News Bernie Sanders' Iowa showing excites Vermont su... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Community Disorga... 3
More from around the web