Washington has enough votes to legali...

Washington has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

There are 22 comments on the KMOV-TV Saint Louis story from Jan 23, 2012, titled Washington has enough votes to legalize gay marriage. In it, KMOV-TV Saint Louis reports that:

Washington's Legislature has enough votes to legalize gay marriage with a statement from Democratic Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMOV-TV Saint Louis.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Jan 23, 2012
First off I'm hoping they do pass it. Then I hope they sign on with the other States who have filed suit against DOMA.

But what I fear is that the anti-gay industry will once again trot out their favorite cheap trick, the old "will of the people" scam. And I call it a scam because that is how I view it.

Most who trumpet the whole "will of the people" idea subscribe to or support the views of Christian Fundamentalists. The problem with the fundies is that they trumpet the Bible as God's final words, but ignore them when it comes to trying to force their view on what is politically and morally correct on the rest of us.

The Bible instructs us to obey our civil laws and leaders. Yet when these groups don't like those laws they change them to suit their personal values, rather than God's or even the U.S. Constitution.

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

(I can't find anything there that says anything about sexual orientation, moral values, behavior, or religious dogma and doctrines being a factor.)
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#2 Jan 23, 2012
DNF wrote:
First off I'm hoping they do pass it. Then I hope they sign on with the other States who have filed suit against DOMA.
But what I fear is that the anti-gay industry will once again trot out their favorite cheap trick, the old "will of the people" scam. And I call it a scam because that is how I view it.
Most who trumpet the whole "will of the people" idea subscribe to or support the views of Christian Fundamentalists. The problem with the fundies is that they trumpet the Bible as God's final words, but ignore them when it comes to trying to force their view on what is politically and morally correct on the rest of us.
The Bible instructs us to obey our civil laws and leaders. Yet when these groups don't like those laws they change them to suit their personal values, rather than God's or even the U.S. Constitution.
Amendment XIV
Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
(I can't find anything there that says anything about sexual orientation, moral values, behavior, or religious dogma and doctrines being a factor.)
What part of Canada are you from?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Jan 23, 2012
DNF wrote:
Amendment XIV
Section 1.
Unfortunately in Washington state this will almost certainly go to the ballot in November. The GOOD news is we are likely to win the vote this time, just as we did in 2009 with Ref 71; especially since turnout of the younger voters will be higher with Obama on the ticket this time!

Watch how quickly the anti-gays do a 180 on the whole "let the people vote" thing once they start LOSING these votes!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jan 23, 2012
The anti-gay crybabies are STILL yapping in front of the House committee now.

They obviously haven't got the word that we have the votes!!

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#5 Jan 23, 2012
The Supreme Court ruled on the matter of "separate but equal" in the 1954 case Brown v. Board of Education. The court recognized that "separate but equal" opportunities created a feeling of inferiority for the minorities being segregated, and that this feeling of segregation could cause permanent emotional injury.

The Ca. Supreme Court found "While retention of the limitation of marriage to opposite-sex couples is not needed to preserve the rights and benefits of opposite-sex couples, the exclusion of same sex couples from the designation of marriage works a real and appreciable harm upon same-sex couples and their children.(p.117) Additionally, the court found "the statutory provisions that continue to limit access to this designation exclusively to opposite sex couples likely will be viewed as an official statement that the family relationship of same sex couples is not of comparable stature or equal dignity to the family relationship of opposite-sex couples." (p.118 In re Marriage Cases)

Additionally, Dr. Chris Beyrer, the founder and director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Public Health and Human Rights, said denying same sex couples the right to marry harms community health:``We know for certain that lesbian and gay individuals suffer harm to their physical and psychological health, and to their relationships and quality of life, as result of the shame, isolation and stigma accrued from their social and legal disenfranchisement.

Courts have also found other arrangements do not fulfill all of the rights of marriage, while they perpetuated prejudice as well as discrimination: "it is instructive to recall in this regard that the traditional, well-established legal rules and practices of our not-so-distant past (1) barred interracial marriage,(2) upheld the routine exclusion of women from many occupations and official duties, and (3) considered the relegation of racial minorities to separate and assertedly equivalent public facilities and institutions as constitutionally equal treatment." "If we have learned anything from the significant evolution in the prevailing societal views and official policies toward members of minority races and toward women over the past half-century, it is that even the most familiar and generally accepted of social practices and traditions often mask unfairness and inequality that frequently is not recognized or appreciated by those not directly harmed by those practices or traditions."

"Conventional understanding of marriage must yield to a more contemporary appreciation of the rights entitled to constitutional protection. Interpreting our state constitutional provisions in accordance with firmly established equal protection principles leads inevitably to the conclusion that gay persons are entitled to marry the otherwise qualified same sex partner of their choice." "To decide otherwise would require us to apply one set of constitutional principles to gay persons and another to all others."

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#6 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
The anti-gay crybabies are STILL yapping in front of the House committee now.
They obviously haven't got the word that we have the votes!!
"Nothing dies so hard, or rallies so often as intolerance." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Jan 23, 2012
I wonder who gets their marriage bill passed first, Washington or New Jersey?

At least in New Jersey we don't have to worry about a referendum vote.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately in Washington state this will almost certainly go to the ballot in November. The GOOD news is we are likely to win the vote this time, just as we did in 2009 with Ref 71; especially since turnout of the younger voters will be higher with Obama on the ticket this time!
Watch how quickly the anti-gays do a 180 on the whole "let the people vote" thing once they start LOSING these votes!!
I agree strongly with you last statement.

They have shown that when they face defeat in votes by legislatures, they quickly run to the "will of the people" mantra. And when those fail they run to courts and never a peep about "judicial activism" or opposing "the will of the people".

Another irony. The whole Sodom mantra. They condemn the people of Sodom yet prostate themselves before the altar of "will of the people".
alternative med

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#10 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I wonder who gets their marriage bill passed first, Washington or New Jersey?
At least in New Jersey we don't have to worry about a referendum vote.
George Wishington!!! ;-000
alternative med

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#11 Jan 23, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree strongly with you last statement.
They have shown that when they face defeat in votes by legislatures, they quickly run to the "will of the people" mantra. And when those fail they run to courts and never a peep about "judicial activism" or opposing "the will of the people".
Another irony. The whole Sodom mantra. They condemn the people of Sodom yet prostate themselves before the altar of "will of the people".
stop readin 2much. it's wil destroye yo iball;) go download man in Black by Will of the Smith or Will Smith Hollywoode actress ;)
Mitt s Newtonian Dander

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jan 23, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
The part that doesn't consider roadkill to be a main food group like you do in KY, Jethro.
Mitt s Newtonian Dander

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jan 23, 2012
alternative med wrote:
<quoted text>
George Wishington!!! ;-000
You're the most boring troll in the world.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#14 Jan 23, 2012
Mitt s Newtonian Dander wrote:
<quoted text>
The part that doesn't consider roadkill to be a main food group like you do in KY, Jethro.
Oh....that was real adult.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#15 Jan 23, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohio
Mitt s Newtonian Dander

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Jan 23, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>Oh....that was real adult.
You're the one who is taking potshots at Canada because they know the earth is more than 10000 years old and, not coincidentally, have marriage equality, Jedediah.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#17 Jan 23, 2012
Mitt s Newtonian Dander wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who is taking potshots at Canada because they know the earth is more than 10000 years old and, not coincidentally, have marriage equality, Jedediah.
sorry I didn't mean to offend our friends to the north.

Why is it that instead of kicking azz,now we're kissing azz?
Mitt s Newtonian Dander

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Jan 23, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh look, a "Christian" liar. Or are you going to claim not to be a "Christian"?

You mean to offend Canada and any other country that isn't dominated by fundie hillbillies, you ignorant bigot.

Good luck with your campaign to invade Canada, Cletus.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Jan 24, 2012
I urge every pro-equality supporter to send an email to the anti-gay pastor Ken Hutcherson of the Antioch Bible Church. Thank him for his ridiculous testimony which helped Sen Haugen decide to SUPPORT the marriage equality bill!!
Romney s Off Shore Undies

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Jan 24, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I urge every pro-equality supporter to send an email to the anti-gay pastor Ken Hutcherson of the Antioch Bible Church.
Don't forget the paypal gift coupon redeemable at rentboy dot com!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#21 Jan 24, 2012
Jumper wrote:
<quoted text>
it's called progress and evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vermont Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minority Dem delegates frustrated with 'Bernie ... Jul '16 slick willie expl... 3
News Ben & Jerrya s Co-Founder Shares Bernie Sanders... (Oct '15) May '16 Three Psyche 27
News The Truth of the Matter: Let's try to keep them... May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News On Native GroundFUKUSHIMA Reminds Us of the Rea... Mar '16 APEFARANGUMINDEBD... 2
News Bernie Sanders' Iowa showing excites Vermont su... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Community Disorga... 3
News Single payer advocates propose expansion of Dr.... (Dec '15) Jan '16 FEDERAL CIRCUS OF... 2
News Sanders' Face on Underwear Line (Oct '15) Nov '15 DILF 32
More from around the web