Letter: Wind, solar can't replace Ver...

Letter: Wind, solar can't replace Vermont Yankee

There are 8 comments on the Burlington Free Press story from Jan 27, 2011, titled Letter: Wind, solar can't replace Vermont Yankee. In it, Burlington Free Press reports that:

A long-term power offer from Entergy similar to that from Hydro-Quebec, plus more diligent maintenance by Vermont Yankee, more oversight of Vermont Yankee by the state government and more openness from Entergy, ought to persuade the Legislature to approve a 20-year NRC license extension and a state Certificate of Public Good.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Burlington Free Press.

Concerned

Bennington, VT

#1 Jan 27, 2011
Writer is right! Only HQ can replace VY. Bend over Vermont and mail your wallets to HQ. The real issue here is this means jobs and $$ going not only out of state but out of the country-Oh Joy, Joy. The guilt is at the feet of our legislature and utilities for not instituting Long Term Energy Planning.
Liar Liar

Westfield, MA

#2 Jan 28, 2011
So Concerned, you would be content being contractually bound to do business with a company that knowing lies to you and is running a nuclear plant into the ground?

Would you continue to do business with your car mechanic if you discovered he lied to you about fixing your brakes?

These creeps allowed their plant to collapse and you think you can trust them to do the right thing for the next 20 years? You obviously aren't a Vermonter.
Liar Liar

Westfield, MA

#3 Jan 28, 2011
Oh and BTW, from what I've read it seems as though the deal our utilities struck with HQ was a better deal than what they were offered by VY. The only bending over you'll be doing is if we continue to get screwed by VY for twenty more years.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Since: Dec 10

Ron Paul 2012

#4 Jan 28, 2011
Liar Liar wrote:
Would you continue to do business with your car mechanic if you discovered he lied to you about fixing your brakes?
What if he was the only brake mechanic for 200 miles and you had no idea how to do it yourself? That is a better question. Democrats cry and cry about the GOP sending jobs overseas, is this any different.... really? If you really want to shut VY down fine, but you need to fill the empty space in energy production that also produces similar tax revenue.
GrnMtnBoy

Roy, WA

#5 Jan 28, 2011
Liar Liar would rather deal with a govt that continually lies and steals from it's constitutents.

Did VY do wrong? Yes. VT and Feds should clamp down and do what they are getting overpaid to do.

By closing VY we lose a lot of jobs and a lot of income at a very bad time. We also lose a major source of power. The NIMBYS/ANTIS have yet come up with a plan to replace it, other than to conserve more and go solar. Solar in the northeast at present time sucks. We've had conservation of energy and bulb handout programs 3 times over the past 10 years or so. Here, lights are out if no one is in the room. Bulbs have been changed. And the bill....keeps going up. Use less and they ask for more.

Keep VY (although I believe it's already been told it's gone) and start building OUR OWN hydro, wind, woodfired forms of energy. MAKE IT IN VT/USA and keep the money here.
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#6 Jan 28, 2011
Liar Liar wrote: "So Concerned, you would be content being contractually bound to do business with a company that knowing lies to you and is running a nuclear plant into the ground?"

I am not warm and fuzzy about VY by any stretch of the imagination. Nor am I warm and fuzzy about our PSB. Entergy has not done the job necessary to run a safe plant and our PSB has not by any stretch of the imagination provided the proper oversight of Entergy as it is supposed to do. My point is our utilities and our legislature KNEW this plant was aging and did nothing from a long term planning perspective (Compare to Canada’s long term planning they will have an additional 4,500 MW on line by 2015) to have the energy sources in place-to replace the energy that would one day be needed. Instead they have left us dependent upon and outside source, in fact out of the country source, for our energy needs. This translates to jobs and $$ NOT being kept or developed in State. What good is a reasonable rate, if people don't have jobs ergo the money to even pay that "reasonable rate"? VY will close, of that I have no doubt with the way things are it need to be, and we will be at the mercy of HQ.
Liar Liar wrote: "Would you continue to do business with your car mechanic if you discovered he lied to you about fixing your brakes?"
If that mechanic, as one poster pointed out, was the only mechanic available, then what would you do? Where would you go (good job or not).? HQ is staged to be our ONLY mechanic and in that position they are in line to charge whatever they wish. Just because there is a "contract in place" at the moment don't get confortable, there is a common practice, called "contract realignment"-this is a very real possibility ( For example, back in the 80sWashington state had a 28 year contract with Canada and that was realigned several times).

Liar Liar Wrote:“These creeps allowed their plant to collapse and you think you can trust them to do the right thing for the next 20 years? You obviously aren't a Vermonter."

Yes, they screwed up!!! But so did those given charge to make sure they didn't and/or hold their feet to the fire. They allowed the situation to get way out of hand and as a result Vermonters will suffer.
Vermonter, I sure the hell I am!! my ancestors settled and fought for this land!! That is why I am so angry that the idiots in charge have not planned for our energy future/needs. That is why I am so angry that we will be dependent on energy sources outside the State/country. That is why I am so angry to see the jobs and $$ head north.

Follow the money, who really stands to profit from the deal made with HQ? It sure is not the average Vermont ratepayer/worker!!!!
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#7 Jan 28, 2011
Liar Liar wrote:
Oh and BTW, from what I've read it seems as though the deal our utilities struck with HQ was a better deal than what they were offered by VY. The only bending over you'll be doing is if we continue to get screwed by VY for twenty more years.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Better deal vs no and/or loss of energy jobs, due to lack of Long Term Energy Planning. Really!
Mr Burns

Chesterfield, MA

#8 Jan 29, 2011
Liar Liar wrote:
So Concerned, you would be content being contractually bound to do business with a company that knowing lies to you and is running a nuclear plant into the ground?
These creeps allowed their plant to collapse and you think you can trust them to do the right thing for the next 20 years? You obviously aren't a Vermonter.
Running a nueclear plant into the ground? How dare you? I resemble that ! Smithers ! Release the hounds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vermont Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Native GroundFUKUSHIMA Reminds Us of the Rea... Mar '16 APEFARANGUMINDEBD... 2
News Bernie Sanders' Iowa showing excites Vermont su... Feb '16 Community Disorga... 3
News Single payer advocates propose expansion of Dr.... Jan '16 FEDERAL CIRCUS OF... 2
News Sanders' Face on Underwear Line (Oct '15) Nov '15 DILF 32
News Ben & Jerrya s Co-Founder Shares Bernie Sanders... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Lawrence Wolf 26
News Some Vermonters may get religion as vaccine out... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Hi sexy 3
News The Fourteenth State: Vermont's eugenics experi... (Aug '15) Aug '15 harp 1
More from around the web