Albemarle Police Stepping Up Patrols ...

Albemarle Police Stepping Up Patrols for Safer Roadways

There are 26 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 9, 2013, titled Albemarle Police Stepping Up Patrols for Safer Roadways. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The nationwide Click It or Ticket campaign starts of Monday morning. Albemarle police tell say they will have several officers working grant-funded overtime shifts for extra enforcement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#3 May 19, 2013
Why not ticket the sign holding beggars that are so successful at distracting local drivers? The locals have proven they get overloaded when they try to talk on their cell phone, eat, scratch themselves and stare at a beggar simultaneously.
1950 era

Cumming, GA

#4 May 20, 2013
Why is it OK to force people to wear a seatbelt or a helmet but not OK to force people to have health insurance.
beyond

Lyndhurst, VA

#5 May 20, 2013
If I don't want to wear a seatbelt or a helmet, I don't have to drive or ride, its that simple. The government is going to force me to buy a product even if I don't want it or need it, thats the issue with health care.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 20, 2013
1950 era wrote:
Why is it OK to force people to wear a seatbelt or a helmet but not OK to force people to have health insurance.
They do, it's called "Obama Care"!
bobo

United States

#7 May 20, 2013
bad driving, lack of health care, fat and sugar, guns, etc... why does the gov't want to regulate all of these good things that help keep America's population in check?
Lambie52

Charlottesville, VA

#8 May 20, 2013
Hang up and drive would be nice too.....
just saying

Charlottesville, VA

#9 May 20, 2013
1950 era wrote:
It shouldn't be!
posumcop

Herndon, VA

#10 May 20, 2013
They can look for vehicle occupants not wearing seat belts all day and all night long.....still can't pull anyone over for that infraction alone....so what is the point of "Click It or Ticket?" Oh yea....follow the money.
Janeia

United States

#11 May 20, 2013
1950 era wrote:
Seat belts are immediately available in vehicles. Simple enough to click it. Protects not only the driver but those around them.

Helmets? Uh, when there is nothing between the head and pavement except wind and one's feeling of immortality, seems to me a helmet is a minor inconvenience. Otherwise, prepare to drool or reside forever in a wheelchair. Crude but reality.

Health insurance on the other hand: when people can barely afford to feed themselves or pay their daily expenses how are they possibly going to afford insurance? Personally, I am paying $264/each month for my insurance. If I lose my income I can assure you that expense will be the first to go. I work hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. When the insurance industry decides to become more realistic in their fees, perhaps then it might make sense.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 20, 2013
1950 era wrote:
NIt is not "OK." The problem with "forcing people to have health insurance"--c'mon, you're not that dumb--is that it's a grab by the Feds to overtake the health care business. Now, if you can look at Social Security, Welfare, DMV, Postal Service, TSA and any other big government programs, you can see the skill with which they operate. Go into an VA hospital. And those facilities serve veterans who risked their lives for this country; the hospitals are a laughing stock. And you imply that they should run healthcare?

If you want some silly logic of laws, go to Pennsylvania. It is illegal to drive without a seatbelt but legal to drive a motorcycle without a helmet. Can you spell l-o-b-b-y?

R.I.P.: Evel Knievel
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 20, 2013
The only one of these that has any relevance to making the roadways safer is the drunk driving one.

If y'all are so mad about health care mandates you should keep in mind a couple of things:

1) the individual mandate on health insurance was a right wing idea pushed most by the Heritage Foundation. If you actually understood the reasoning behind the whole thing then you would understand why it came out of a CONSERVATIVE organization.(Hint: look up the "free rider" problem).

2) the state of VA makes you buy auto insurance - ok sort of. If you don't purchase on the market you have to pay the "fee" - or fine - or whatever you want to call it. It gets distributed to auto insurance companies to offset costs associated with accidents involving uninsured motorists. No that's not literally "insurance" for you. But the state basically forces you - in one way or another - to pay into the whole auto insurance pool. I'm just saying...if you want to whine at least have some principles and understand what you are whining about. You know...aside from that fact that it all could just as well be called "Rombama-care"
hondacivic

Charlottesville, VA

#14 May 20, 2013
Liberalace wrote:
<quoted text>
NIt is not "OK." The problem with "forcing people to have health insurance"--c'mon, you're not that dumb--is that it's a grab by the Feds to overtake the health care business. Now, if you can look at Social Security, Welfare, DMV, Postal Service, TSA and any other big government programs, you can see the skill with which they operate. Go into an VA hospital. And those facilities serve veterans who risked their lives for this country; the hospitals are a laughing stock. And you imply that they should run healthcare?
If you want some silly logic of laws, go to Pennsylvania. It is illegal to drive without a seatbelt but legal to drive a motorcycle without a helmet. Can you spell l-o-b-b-y?
R.I.P.: Evel Knievel
On the same token, I bet you think it is awesome of the town in Georgia that approved to make all households own a gun.
Hunter

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 20, 2013
why do the police only set aside one week for safe driving? isn't it their job to patrol for unsafe driving 24/7? are they afraid of writer's cramp?

how about lane changes without signaling by arrogant drivings who think they are above the law or need to hold their cell phones as they drive? what a joke of an effort by acpd!
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#16 May 20, 2013
Hunter wrote:
why do the police only set aside one week for safe driving? isn't it their job to patrol for unsafe driving 24/7? are they afraid of writer's cramp?
how about lane changes without signaling by arrogant drivings who think they are above the law or need to hold their cell phones as they drive? what a joke of an effort by acpd!
And how about headlights in the rain? I don't actually know if that one is a primary offense or not, but it should be. Half of y'all out there don't use your headlights in the rain. Guess what? Its frequently really hard to see you.

(Its just on my mind with all of the rain recently.)
Win-win

Lothian, MD

#17 May 20, 2013
Using grant money to fund an operation so the county can collect traffic fines,the officers get overtime just in time for summer vacation, and the insurance companies can raise rates so they benefit as well.
posumcop

Herndon, VA

#18 May 20, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
And how about headlights in the rain? I don't actually know if that one is a primary offense or not, but it should be. Half of y'all out there don't use your headlights in the rain. Guess what? Its frequently really hard to see you.
46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise,(ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#19 May 20, 2013
bobo wrote:
bad driving, lack of health care, fat and sugar, guns, etc... why does the gov't want to regulate all of these good things that help keep America's population in check?
Dead people don't overload the system, but people with bad habits die slowly and need a lot of care in their last years. Bad driving doesn't always kill: it often leaves people incapacitated and in need of a lot of care. Gunshot injuries: same thing. If someone is ejected from a vehicle and must spend the rest of their days as a vegetable who pays? If it wasn't for that I'd say let them ride with no belt if they want.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#20 May 20, 2013
posumcop wrote:
<quoted text>
46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.
A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise,(ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.
F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.
Section F should be stricken.
real central va Marine

Crozet, VA

#21 May 20, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
The only one of these that has any relevance to making the roadways safer is the drunk driving one.
If y'all are so mad about health care mandates you should keep in mind a couple of things:
1) the individual mandate on health insurance was a right wing idea pushed most by the Heritage Foundation. If you actually understood the reasoning behind the whole thing then you would understand why it came out of a CONSERVATIVE organization.(Hint: look up the "free rider" problem).
2) the state of VA makes you buy auto insurance - ok sort of. If you don't purchase on the market you have to pay the "fee" - or fine - or whatever you want to call it. It gets distributed to auto insurance companies to offset costs associated with accidents involving uninsured motorists. No that's not literally "insurance" for you. But the state basically forces you - in one way or another - to pay into the whole auto insurance pool. I'm just saying...if you want to whine at least have some principles and understand what you are whining about. You know...aside from that fact that it all could just as well be called "Rombama-care"
1. It may have begun as a conservative idea, but it took the liberals and democrats to make it a debacle.
2."It gets distributed to auto insurance companies to offset costs associated with accidents involving uninsured motorists."
Show us the money trail where our uninsured motorist fee goes to the insurance companies. Bet you can't.
real central va Marine

Crozet, VA

#22 May 20, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not our fault; other states don't require it...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as vice preside... 24 min Responsibility 9
Dead Beats Thu Butler 1
News Cuccinelli's floor fight draws rebukes, fans - ... Jul 20 Le Jimbo 1
News Va. man caught in sting trying to join IS gets ... Jul 17 Captain Yesterday 6
News Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump in Virginia,... Jul 16 Cobra500 1
Election VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Jul 12 Brown eyed girl 1124 1,374
News Overton, judge who oversaw Iverson's trial, dies (Jan '08) Jul 4 Mrmademan504 38
More from around the web