Man Flown to Hospital After I-64 Acci...

Man Flown to Hospital After I-64 Accident

There are 36 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 7, 2008, titled Man Flown to Hospital After I-64 Accident. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A man is in the hospital with life-threatening injuries after his tractor-trailer crashed on Interstate 64 near Crozet Sunday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What Next

Staunton, VA

#1 Dec 7, 2008
Tractor trailers should not be allowed to drive during the day. They only endanger the lives of others. Many people could have been killed today!!! Wake up Virginia!!!!
Just She

Palmyra, VA

#2 Dec 7, 2008
HUH? You have to be kidding me? Not be allowed on the road during the day? None of them? Ever? LOL
mike

Radford, VA

#3 Dec 7, 2008
i know this man he is twice the man of you losers
Roger

Waynesboro, VA

#4 Dec 8, 2008
Just She wrote:
HUH? You have to be kidding me? Not be allowed on the road during the day? None of them? Ever? LOL
I agree with you... LOL. The next time you go in any store look around and think to yourself, how did all this stuff get here??? Trucks !!!! I drive a lot on I-81 and that road is truck heaven. But if you treat them with respect they will return the favor. It's the crazy idiots that weave in and out of traffic and run 80-90 MPH that's the problem. Some of the truckers have driven over a million miles and have seen just about every thing on the highway. The paper stated he had a medical problem. I have encountered one wrong way driver on I-81 and that's a scary situation. Come to find out later that the man had forgotten to take his meds and was disoriented. SO it can happen to anyone, not just truck drivers. The big thing to remember is these trucks are about 80,000 loaded and can't stop on a dime. They keep food on the shelves and products in the stores.Just respect them for what they are.It's like a basket of apples, one bad apple doesn't ruin the rest.
Bob Loblaw

Johnson City, TN

#5 Dec 8, 2008
What Next wrote:
Tractor trailers should not be allowed to drive during the day. They only endanger the lives of others. Many people could have been killed today!!! Wake up Virginia!!!!
This is one of the dumbest things ever!! I'm guessing you would be the first to complain when you went to buy your milk and it wasn't there. Isn't having a medical emergency while driving one of everyone's worse nightmare? Nice you can be sympathetic......
Unidentified

Ruckersville, VA

#6 Dec 8, 2008
If truckers weren't allowed on the road during the day, HOW would you get the food you eat?
That is REDICULOUS!
Harley

Pico Rivera, CA

#7 Dec 8, 2008
The answer is simple...change the speed limits for trucks. After 6pm trucks be allowed to travel 75mph & cars 55mph. This will establish a health respect for truckers. I see cars today who pull right out in front of a truck...attitude is...go a head...hit me....A over the road trucker drives more miles in a month then most people do in a year. Its time truckers be given proper respect & cars travel other roads besides the interstate
Taylor

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 8, 2008
Harley wrote:
The answer is simple...change the speed limits for trucks. After 6pm trucks be allowed to travel 75mph & cars 55mph. This will establish a health respect for truckers. I see cars today who pull right out in front of a truck...attitude is...go a head...hit me....A over the road trucker drives more miles in a month then most people do in a year. Its time truckers be given proper respect & cars travel other roads besides the interstate
You must be a trucker. I love this: Both sides arguing for their dreams! Interstates with no truckers except at night, and interstates that only allow truckers.

How I can sort of see where you're all coming from, maybe it's time to settle for a happy medium (Not unlike we have now?) and fucking obey the law instead.
Breeze

Carterville, IL

#9 Dec 8, 2008
EVERYTHING you use in your daily life is associated with a truck somehow or another. From the gifts you are buyint this Christmas to the toliet paper you use on your bottom. To the food you put on your table (hence the Kroger truck), to auto you drive to the mail you receive daily. I guess the computer fairy dropped your computer off at your house via airplane? Or did the train stop on the tracks in front of your house? Maybe you walked down to the pier and hand selected it off the ship? Wise up, What's Next in Virginia. Without us, you would have NOTHING! Don't be a Ninnyhammer.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#10 Dec 8, 2008
What Next wrote:
So let's force all the trucks to operate at night when visability is reduced by 90%. Huh? Did you think before you wrote this? You must work for the Federal Government.
common sense

Lexington, VA

#11 Dec 8, 2008
Ha Ha! Goods one CP. It sounds to me like this guy had an unfortunate health problem while driving his truck, not unlike someone having the same problem in a car. This is NOT a truck problem.
Leigh Ann

Cartersville, VA

#12 Dec 8, 2008
I just hope he will be okay.
Newsreader

United States

#13 Dec 8, 2008
I hope this wasn't a preexisting condition, if so he should have never been allowed to drive a tractor trailer in the first place. With that said, I pray for his full recovery.
mike

Princeton, WV

#14 Dec 8, 2008
know him well runs 5 miles in under 30 min. and incline benches 280 name 3 people that can do that had check-up 3 weeks ago and if you look at him you would say perfect that may be the problem just did not look very hard
slowtraffickeepr ight

Waynesboro, VA

#15 Dec 8, 2008
I used to work in Charlottesville and drove over that mountain in all kinds of weather, and I have to say, it's not the truckers that scare me, it's all the idiots in passenger vehicles.....the women who think they are indestructible in their suvs, that think 4wd means that the vehicle won't slip or slide, to the slow pokes that ride in the left lane at or just below the speed limit, and refuse to move over for faster vehicles. I would have to say they are the most dangerous of all drivers, they say oh if everyone would just do the speed limit, then there would be no reason for me to ride in the right lane, but the fact is, we take the interstate for the speed, if you don't like going fast, 250 & 11 will take you the same places 81 & 64 will, but to just sit and ride in the "passing" lane, creates a more dangerous situation causing other drivers to weave in n out of traffic to get around those that could be following the rules of the road, slow traffic keep right. I don't care if I am traveling at 80mph, if you roll up behind me going faster, I am going to move out your way.
No Ordinary Person

AOL

#16 Dec 8, 2008
The Interstates are NOT necessarily for speed alone. They are for convenience and to keep you out of all the little towns. Sometimes it pays to go a little slow. Fast can get you in a lot of trouble when you hit something else going fast or even if you hit something standing still. Try it if you want but I think I'd rather be going the speed limit. I feel like if I am going the speed limit, I have the right to be in the left lane if I want. I usually don't because of all of the nuts and I happen to want to live but the speed limit is the speed limit. It wouldn't matter what they set it at, everyone almost is going to ignore it and fly. Most people have no idea of the danger of the vehicle. They do not understand it is a weapon to both the driver, it's riders, and the other people on the rode. The trucks are a whole other subject. Loaded, they are really heavy and can't stop most of the time when something happens. My Father used to drive a truck and have truckers drive for him and he has told me more stories of things he has witnessed throughout his life on the roads. People on fire trapped in the truck begging the police to shoot them because they knew they were going to burn to death, dead men scattered all along the highway from one full truck hauling workers, a bride and groom on their honeymoon who did what you always hear of and hit the brakes, spun around, and shot back between his truck and the officer's car with just enough room not to kill anyone. I could probably go on and on. He was always a good driver and I think I have always been a good driver. I have always been careful, drove the speed I thought I could handle the car and the speed limit, and never let anyone push me down the road. When I was young, I had my car loaded with girlfriends and luggage headed for the beach on week-ends so I dealt with distraction but didn't let it distract me while driving. You can't take the chance. I've gotten a couple of "dumb" tickets but nothing serious and I think most people would consider them borderline "trap-like" tickets. Daddy said he got two in one day in a town called Dumfries. He said the police were famous for sitting around there and he knew it but he still got the tickets! So, I guess it doesn't hurt to get a ticket now and then to wake everybody up but some people really need tickets and it seems like they don't get them.
Lord

United States

#17 Dec 8, 2008
So if the railroads had the same subsidy trucks do (free maintenance of right of way), would there be as many trucks that use six times the energy per ton/mile than trains do? Because the trucking industry has had this unfair advantage for fifty years, a $2-3.00 tax per gallon fuel tax imposed now could be used to help the railroads catch up. They do a better job than our non-system of unregulated truckers and brutal competition. The reason that truck is driving dangerously fast is the trucking company and driver won't get paid if he is one minute late. Only solution, is long term and, imagine this, of long term benefit to our nations competitive position in the world economy.
Douglas

United States

#18 Dec 8, 2008
common sense wrote:
Ha Ha! Goods one CP. It sounds to me like this guy had an unfortunate health problem while driving his truck, not unlike someone having the same problem in a car. This is NOT a truck problem.
Very true this could have happened to someone driving a miata let alone a truck at least no one was killed.
Crystal

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Dec 9, 2008
Wow some of these comments are crazy and some are excellent points. My kids father drives a truck for a living and tells me a lot of stories of what he experiences out on the highway. Regardless if it is an interstate or a country road ALL DRIVERS need to be more aware of their surroundings. Trucks (whether loaded or not) CAN NOT stop like smaller cars, trucks, SUV's. People need to stop being in such a rush and slow down. We need to show everyone the same respect (especially truck drivers)on ALL roads. Truck drivers work longer than 8 hours a day and spend time away from their families to make sure everyone has food, clothing, etc that we need to live. Show respect and stop blaming truck drivers for driving crazy when smaller cars,trucks,SUV's help contribute to the problem. I hope the gentleman that was hurt will pull through and have a healthy recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
Clarice Starling

United States

#20 Dec 9, 2008
So very sad. I pray he makes it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News That Bloodbath in the Old Dominion Nov 12 sesostrus 1
News Democratic wins: Start of anti-Trump surge or '... Nov 10 roymoorescrotchle... 40
News Five Women Facing Charges Following Huntington ... (Mar '14) Nov 10 TogudforHtown 2
News Democrats come close to retaking Virginia House Nov 10 CodeTalker 33
jennifer friday poorest, lazy, and low iq spec... Nov 9 JENNIFIER FRIDAY 1
News New faces to bring new diversity to Virginia la... Nov 9 Gremlin 4
News Transgender candidate Danica Roem wins historic... Nov 9 Weapon of Choice 24
More from around the web