UVA Professor Does Study on DNA in Solving Crime

For the first time, a University of Virginia professor is taking a closer look at the power of DNA profiling. Full Story
getchusum

AOL

#1 Jan 11, 2013
Now. I need another UVA "person" to tell me that HE THINKS...DNA is useful.
Well sheet. Who knew?
yowser

Orange, VA

#2 Jan 12, 2013
getchusum wrote:
Now. I need another UVA "person" to tell me that HE THINKS...DNA is useful.
Well sheet. Who knew?
Then we need to discuss it before the board, then maybe have a meeting to decide on a vote, then have a meeting on what can be voted for
Alf

Farmville, VA

#3 Jan 12, 2013
yowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we need to discuss it before the board, then maybe have a meeting to decide on a vote, then have a meeting on what can be voted for
Fail.
Rex

Bronx, NY

#4 Jan 12, 2013
If they don't have the identity of the murderer of Morgan Harrington, how did they get that sketch of that Black man?
Me myself and I

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 12, 2013
Rex wrote:
If they don't have the identity of the murderer of Morgan Harrington, how did they get that sketch of that Black man?
You know there's this thing in crime fighting called 'the witness'.
DNA Problem

Hopewell, VA

#6 Jan 12, 2013
One problem of DNA is this..sometimes there isn't any that's absolutely definitive. And some juries are too dumb to remember that witnesses, circumstantial evidence, and other physical evidence is still valid. It ain't all CSI
Rex

Bronx, NY

#7 Jan 12, 2013
Me myself and I wrote:
<quoted text>
You know there's this thing in crime fighting called 'the witness'.
That same sketch of the black man has connections with another murder in another state. Please explain the witness in these 2 different murders?
Me myself and I

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 13, 2013
Rex wrote:
<quoted text>That same sketch of the black man has connections with another murder in another state. Please explain the witness in these 2 different murders?
I was under the impression there was a link to a sexual assault. In that case there was 'a witness', the victim. Therefore there is a sketch of what the attacker looked like.

The attacker in that sexual assault was linked to Harrington's murder by DNA.

Since neither case has been solved, they have a picture not an identity.
Dataset is incomplete

Champaign, IL

#9 Jan 14, 2013
But again, databases are only good when people feed them enough data. In the case of sexual predators, a huge number of rape kits go unprocessed, which is an outrage. Many rapes and murders just wouldn't happen if that database were maintained properly and the data was kept up to date. Without rape kit evidence, it isn't. Who knows -- Morgan Harrington may have never been attacked if law enforcement had bothered to track DNA data properly
Dataset is incomplete

Champaign, IL

#10 Jan 14, 2013
Oh, and as a follow-up to my previouss comment, it's probably statistically correct to take the percentage of crimes solved by DNA, and calculate how many more crimes would have been solved if rape kits had been properly processed. The math woudln't be simple, but you could also calculate how many rapes and murders just wouldn't happen if DNA results from the kits had been entered promptly. That might be a good follow-up study for the professor.

In the case of the Harrington abduction, and every other sex crime victim, the man who attacked the first victim may have attacked 20 other women since then, and the DNA may be on file in a dozen of those other cases, had the rape kits been processed properly, perhaps with three or four women who knew enough about him to put him away. It's possible, and until every last rape kit is processed and entered, we just don't know how many women suffered needlessly due to funding priorities and neglect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia police arrest 31 on drug charges 14 min 2sad 25
Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Dec 23 NYC2VA 9
Christina Lester @ Claypool hill sub division Dec 21 Christina Lester 1
50 jobs coming to Bland County (Sep '13) Dec 20 Jim 28
What Would Our Forefathers Think of America Today? (Jul '09) Dec 17 Carol Fox 2
I hate all teenagers (Dec '08) Dec 14 teensucker 817
Virginia prepares for possibility of gay marriage Dec 4 swedenforever 34
More from around the web