Power Outages Blanket Virginia

Power Outages Blanket Virginia

There are 22 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 6, 2010, titled Power Outages Blanket Virginia. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Thousands of families are in the dark and cold Saturday night as power outages are wide-spread and could last for days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Renee Morris

Ruckersville, VA

#1 Feb 6, 2010
Iam in keswick off of rt 22 we lost power friday at 8:30 its very cold we dont have anyway for heat and we have no way to get to a shelter or a place with power.We are hoping for power real soon our hearts go out to everyone who is in the dark and without heat.
Warming up

Ruckersville, VA

#2 Feb 6, 2010
A HUGE thank you to Rappahannock Electric for getting our power back on in just a few hours. As bad as the conditions were to be without power, I know your workers are in worse conditions out there fixing things as quickly as they can.
tap

Ann Arbor, MI

#3 Feb 6, 2010
how are people to know to turn their appliances off if they have no electricity to begin with?
Rappahannock Rocks

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 6, 2010
Having Rappahannock Electric is the best!! Thanks to all of you who got our electric back on so fast!!!! You really prevented a lot of problems for many people who have had to stay in their homes
during this dreadful storm.
BIFF

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 6, 2010
RAPPAHANNOCK ROCKS? THIS PERSON ABOVE ME MUST BE ON THE PIPE.
Rappahannock Rocks

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 6, 2010
Biff, thanks to Rappahannock I didn't need "the pipe". You sound so angry...still no electric for you,huh?
JusLookin

Newport News, VA

#7 Feb 6, 2010
How did Renee Morris post on this forum if power is out, house is cold, no way to go anywhere, etc.?? Seems like there's something slightly amiss here.
To all who are without power, if you can read this then the power is back on... just thought I'd let you know.
Cville4U

Baltimore, MD

#8 Feb 6, 2010
JusLookin, some people have notebook computer with those air cards that let you go on the internet. Or some people use their cell phone to connect to the internet. Those are my thoughts.
Huh

Marietta, GA

#9 Feb 6, 2010
JusLookin wrote:
How did Renee Morris post on this forum if power is out, house is cold, no way to go anywhere, etc.?? Seems like there's something slightly amiss here.
To all who are without power, if you can read this then the power is back on... just thought I'd let you know.
Ever heard of those new fangled telephones with internet capabilities?
Warming up

United States

#10 Feb 6, 2010
Hey JusLookin, there's this new fangled device called a smart phone that you can connect to the internet on.

Since: Jul 09

Chi Town

#11 Feb 6, 2010
What'll they think of next?
REC BLOWS

Secondcreek, WV

#12 Feb 7, 2010
Not a surprise that we lost power 24 hours ago when there was only a couple of inches on the ground, will be days before REC finally getas to us...again. This electric co. is the worst I have ever seen. Power goes off even on a sunny windless day. I have a back-up generator because I know how UNreliable they are. Sad to say but I have been trying to sell my home to get AWAY from REC and have lost 2 sales so far when buyers have fond out who serviced my area. They need to fix their old crusty equipment...can you say Stimulus dollars???
Gus

United States

#13 Feb 8, 2010
We Earlysville residents lost our power Friday afternoon. 72 hours later we are still without power. If the lazy, incompetent idiots at Dominion Power(less) did preventative maintenance by trimming trees in the spring or early fall seasons,they wouldn't have these problems. But then again they are probably looking out for their overtime paychecks, while the rest of us freeze.
Momsy

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Feb 8, 2010
Gus wrote:
We Earlysville residents lost our power Friday afternoon. 72 hours later we are still without power. If the lazy, incompetent idiots at Dominion Power(less) did preventative maintenance by trimming trees in the spring or early fall seasons,they wouldn't have these problems. But then again they are probably looking out for their overtime paychecks, while the rest of us freeze.
Not so quick. The poor slobs that are out fixing the lines aren't the ones who decide when to do preventive maintenance. They have to just do as they are told....the upper management makes the calls. Upper management responds to a higher calling: that being their beach house payment, company bottom line and stockholders. Back off on us working slobs.
JusLookin

Newport News, VA

#16 Feb 8, 2010
Wonder what the cell towers and repeaters use for power when the outage lasts longer than the battery backups? So much for your high tech tinker toys
jen

Ashburn, VA

#17 Feb 8, 2010
Renee Morris wrote:
Iam in keswick off of rt 22 we lost power friday at 8:30 its very cold we dont have anyway for heat and we have no way to get to a shelter or a place with power.We are hoping for power real soon our hearts go out to everyone who is in the dark and without heat.
been out since Friday night in outskirts Scottsville.....we hope crews continue to work throughout the night to get us power before next storm, too!!! We are fortunate to have family close by. We pray for those not as fortunate!
Gus

United States

#19 Feb 9, 2010
Momsy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so quick. The poor slobs that are out fixing the lines aren't the ones who decide when to do preventive maintenance. They have to just do as they are told....the upper management makes the calls. Upper management responds to a higher calling: that being their beach house payment, company bottom line and stockholders. Back off on us working slobs.
That is part of the problem. Dominion Flicker and Fade has a serious management issue that doesn't keep the "working slobs" accountable for their actions, or in this case inaction.
Easy now

United States

#20 Feb 10, 2010
Power outages are not fun for anyone. My son left home at 4am Feb 6 and has yet to return. His crew left southern VA to help out in NOVA with outages. They are working 18 hour days in very bad conditions. SO please remember those guys are working very hard to get everyone's power on.
Local Resident

United States

#22 Feb 12, 2010
I have Rappahannock as well and was actually shocked to see how they had the highest number of people without power. In my 5 years with them, it's actually rare for us to lose power in any weather conditions, but it seems that most of the outages were farther north.

Since: Apr 08

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Feb 12, 2010
Posts which violate the terms of service, quote deleted comments or are off topic have been removed from this thread.

From the Terms of Service ( http://www.topix.com/topix/terms ): "You agree to NOT use the service to: upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Congressman Donald Norcross and brother George ... 20 hr Tony 1
Remove Va government for ignoring the people 21 hr Patriot 1
News Transgender candidate takes on culture warrior ... Jul 24 Palin s Turkey Th... 4
News In Virginia gubernatorial debate, Gillespie, No... Jul 23 bill 1
Annette Marion and DOD tapes on srx, drugs murder Jul 22 Yvette Anne 1
News 'When 2 Worlds Meet' set to release this summer Jul 14 Susan Forster 1
Mayor David Mayer Jul 12 USANews 1
More from around the web