Flu Vaccine More Than Worth It

Virginia is one of 29 states the Centers for Disease Control reports seeing high numbers people with flu symptoms. Full Story
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

#1 Jan 6, 2013
Have fun shooting up poison. Enjoy your autism.
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#2 Jan 6, 2013
But here’s the other dirty little secret the CDC absolutely does not want you to know: If you skip the vaccine, boost your vitamin D intake, and encounter the flu naturally, you will build your own lifetime antibodies against the infection.

Got that? So the best way to immunize yourself against a particular strain of the winter flu is to dose up on vitamin D, boost your nutritional intake, get healthy and then just go out into the world and stop worrying about exposing yourself to the flu. You’ll pick it up somewhere, and if your immune system is functioning well with high levels of vitamin D (that’s the vitamin that “activates” your immune response to flu infections), your body will build its own antibodies, and you won’t even know it! You will have what’s called a “symptomless infection” and won’t even know your body successfully fought off the viral invader
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#3 Jan 6, 2013
But heres the other dirty little secret the CDC absolutely does not want you to know: If you skip the vaccine, boost your vitamin D intake, and encounter the flu naturally, you will build your own lifetime antibodies against the infection.

Got that? So the best way to immunize yourself against a particular strain of the winter flu is to dose up on vitamin D, boost your nutritional intake, get healthy and then just go out into the world and stop worrying about exposing yourself to the flu. Youll pick it up somewhere, and if your immune system is functioning well with high levels of vitamin D (thats the vitamin that activates your immune response to flu infections), your body will build its own antibodies, and you wont even know it! You will have whats called a symptomless infection and wont even know your body successfully fought off the viral invader
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 6, 2013
the vaccine doesn't preclude one from dosing up on vitamin D, but if you already have a healthy diet, your body doesn't require supplements as the excess will just be excreted anyway

also introducing flu vaccine strains into your body doesn't prevent building 'your own lifetime antibodies', but it does allow it to create antibodies in advance against expected specific flu stains for the upcoming season
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 6, 2013
If the flu vaccine does not contain this years strain of flu how does it lessen the symptoms of the flu? Or do the pharmaceutical companies need to recoup the cost of the vaccine? I realize they cannot predict what flu virus will affecting people so why not come up with a better solution?
Observer

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 6, 2013
Quote: "The current flu shot protects against two strands of type A and one strand of type B flu, but there are millions of strands that can make us sick."

In other words, I'd have better odds playing the lottery. No thanks.

Twice in my life I've gotten a flu shot, and both times I contracted the flu. Both times I was told by the doctor who sold me the shot that I must have caught one of the strains that was not covered in this year's vaccine. I'll save my money and take my chances.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 6, 2013
Judy wrote:
If the flu vaccine does not contain this years strain of flu how does it lessen the symptoms of the flu? Or do the pharmaceutical companies need to recoup the cost of the vaccine? I realize they cannot predict what flu virus will affecting people so why not come up with a better solution?
They are guessing based on last years flu and how the think those strains will carryover to this year, so it's an imperfect science. That said, you are not obligate to take it if you think you will become autistic or have some other paranoia, but it has been proven to be effective. I've been taking it for more than two decades and haven't died yet, and contracted the flu once (a mild one).
UVA Fan

Ferrum, VA

#8 Jan 6, 2013
Observer wrote:
Quote: "The current flu shot protects against two strands of type A and one strand of type B flu, but there are millions of strands that can make us sick."
In other words, I'd have better odds playing the lottery. No thanks.
Twice in my life I've gotten a flu shot, and both times I contracted the flu. Both times I was told by the doctor who sold me the shot that I must have caught one of the strains that was not covered in this year's vaccine. I'll save my money and take my chances.
Completely agree, but yet hospitals are trying to enforce employees into mandatory vaccinations.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 6, 2013
UVA Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely agree, but yet hospitals are trying to enforce employees into mandatory vaccinations.
so as to not to spread it, if you don't like it, don't work there
and the earth isn't flat or less than 6,000 yrs old
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Nothing like scaring the public into millions of doses of flu vaccine, the pharmaceuticals love it. Never got one, never will. Got a good dose of the flu almost 10 years ago and haven't suffered again since.(knock on wood), there's alot to be said about ones own immune system. What don't kill you will make you stronger.
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 7, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
They are guessing based on last years flu and how the think those strains will carryover to this year, so it's an imperfect science. That said, you are not obligate to take it if you think you will become autistic or have some other paranoia, but it has been proven to be effective. I've been taking it for more than two decades and haven't died yet, and contracted the flu once (a mild one).
I received the flu shot twice in my working career and got sick both times after getting it.

If you choose to work in a hospital you are already aware of the many risks involved from contacting illness from those you care for and not just the flu. There are other ways to protect yourself from contracting disease other than receiving a flu shot which is only 59% effective. Wearing gloves, masks and washing hands is more effective in prevention of spreading disease. I am not against drugs, but I want better odds before I subject myself to the serious side effects.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jan 7, 2013
Judy wrote:
If you have a better solution, we're all ears.

Research is being carried out for a 'universal' flu vaccine.

"Each year, three strains are chosen for selection in that year's flu vaccination by the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance Network. The chosen strains are the H1N1, H3N2, and Type-B strains thought most likely to cause significant human suffering in the coming season. Due to the high mutation rate of the virus a particular vaccine formulation is effective for at most about a year. The World Health Organization coordinates the contents of the vaccine each year to contain the most likely strains of the virus to attack the next year."

Despite your experience, the "influenza vaccination has been shown highly effective in health care workers (HCW), with minimal adverse effects."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccin...

Tests prove the vaccine is effective. The more people take it, the less the flu will spread.
SMH

United States

#13 Jan 7, 2013
truthbetold wrote:
But heres the other dirty little secret the CDC absolutely does not want you to know: If you skip the vaccine, boost your vitamin D intake, and encounter the flu naturally, you will build your own lifetime antibodies against the infection.
Got that? So the best way to immunize yourself against a particular strain of the winter flu is to dose up on vitamin D, boost your nutritional intake, get healthy and then just go out into the world and stop worrying about exposing yourself to the flu. Youll pick it up somewhere, and if your immune system is functioning well with high levels of vitamin D (thats the vitamin that activates your immune response to flu infections), your body will build its own antibodies, and you wont even know it! You will have whats called a symptomless infection and wont even know your body successfully fought off the viral invader
Havent gotten the flu shot in years~ Something else they wont tell you is that they havent updated the vaccine since swine. and its a different strain anyway. wont do you any good to get the shot ... Take your vitamens..:)
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jan 7, 2013
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
I received the flu shot twice in my working career and got sick both times after getting it.
If you choose to work in a hospital you are already aware of the many risks involved from contacting illness from those you care for and not just the flu. There are other ways to protect yourself from contracting disease other than receiving a flu shot which is only 59% effective. Wearing gloves, masks and washing hands is more effective in prevention of spreading disease. I am not against drugs, but I want better odds before I subject myself to the serious side effects.
I am with you on this; I but would move hand washing to the top of the preventatives list!
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#15 Jan 7, 2013
Look and read the label saps, it might defend you from vampires and werewolfs, I hear they dont want the mercury poisening

READ THE LABEL INSERT FOLKS ITS GOOD FOR YOU
JUST ASK PARENTS WHO HAVE HAD NORMAL KIDS UP TO 5 YEARS AND OLDER AND THEN TURN TO AUTISM

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM TAKEN IT ENJOY THE CANCERS IN THERE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Would Our Forefathers Think of America Today? (Jul '09) 23 hr Carol Fox 2
Virginia police arrest 31 on drug charges Wed whatever 1
I hate all teenagers (Dec '08) Dec 14 teensucker 817
Virginia prepares for possibility of gay marriage Dec 4 swedenforever 34
Wowy Meowy! Virginia cat survives 36 days in mo... Dec 4 Phoebe Winter 1
Michelle Obama (Aug '10) Dec 2 Nick 98
Two former employees accused of embezzlement in... (Sep '07) Nov 30 throwing up 39
More from around the web