Augusta County Deputy in Hospital Aft...

Augusta County Deputy in Hospital After Crash

There are 35 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Augusta County Deputy in Hospital After Crash. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

An Augusta County Sheriff's deputy is in the hospital Saturday after flipping his cruiser while responding to an emergency call.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dakota

Atlanta, GA

#21 Jan 7, 2013
SDHS88Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pretend like you do .
Dakota has been one of the most elusive members of the online crowd in the valley for years, rather the open book as of late. He has Long been missed at the Staunton News Leader, he was always the entertaining one.
I also originate from the area being mentioned, I trust Big D will not get overly vivid with details, I have some funnies to share also. I would start with the story when D left the fuel cap off the car at the old Highs Ice Cream, what a disaster that was at the time, hilarious looking back from the safety of the present.
OH my , HIT ME WHERE it hurts the most right off the bat. Typical of you SD girls. If somebody doesn't have a picture of it the VSP & ACSD prolly has a record of it :(.

SO I will cry uncle, hang lose I know how to contact you .
Dakota

Atlanta, GA

#22 Jan 7, 2013
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have to pretend anything with Dakota--I know exactly who he is but I'm not sure he is for sure who I am. I miss him on the News Leader, also, but I quit posting on there about a year ago.
As for Tall Tales from the Draft in the 80's, I am privy to most of them and can provide some vivid details of my own. Might be fun. I even have pictures!!!
You hang loose and let me think...I will figure out who you are. Don't really mention too many details about the person I was prodding at 29 lol, I didn't expect a SDHS reunion here at 29...lets not send some freak back home down there. using no names or addys... give me three words and see if I can remember who you are. I bet I can.

John 316

Richmond, VA

#23 Jan 7, 2013
Just askin wrote:
Isn't he the one that hit the guy on the moped near Fisherville a few years back--maybe not.
This is the same deputy who hit the guy on the motorcycle in fishersville. I'm sincerely glad he survived the crash and that no one else was injured along with him.
John 316

Richmond, VA

#24 Jan 7, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??? At the very least YOU should hope that you never call for police help and need them to get there quickly. If you know the area, where he wreckted is a spot that there are always wrecks due to the road, not the drivers. Sholes was doing his job and responded per protocol. Maybe you should jog out of front of a car and let what happens happen.
No, he was not doing his job. He failed to do his job when he lost control of his vehicle. He is not licensed to drive so dangerously that he puts himself and others on the road at risk. This deputy has a history of vehicle accidents. I sincerely pray this accident serves to wake him up before he kills himself or someone else the next time he is responding to a call!
You have NO idea

Waynesboro, VA

#25 Jan 7, 2013
John 316 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he was not doing his job. He failed to do his job when he lost control of his vehicle. He is not licensed to drive so dangerously that he puts himself and others on the road at risk. This deputy has a history of vehicle accidents. I sincerely pray this accident serves to wake him up before he kills himself or someone else the next time he is responding to a call!
Are you a Law Enforcement Officer? Have you ever responded to a 911 call? Any emergency service call? What do you know about his job? You can not put yourself in his place and therefore have no idea what it was like for him that night or any other for that matter. Have you ever had an accident of any kind or made a mistake? Oh no, maybe you are perfect...I know that I am not and as far as I know no one is. No one knows the details of this accident, this media outlet has misrepresented the facts and you are obviously assuming facts not in evidence at this point as well. Furthermore, these Deputies put more miles on these cars in one year than most people do in five so it is a wonder that they don't have more accidents. They are all very good drivers, but they spend all their time on the road and they are put in situations where they NEED to drive at high rates of speed. There are many factors that then come into play that could cause an ACCIDENT. I live in Augusta County and if I call I want them driving fast to get to my house! This is a very large County and we have very few Deputies on the road at one time to cover it, so they do the best they can to get there as quickly as they can. So, while you sit back in your recliner at night in the safety of your nice warm home try not to be so critical of the men and women that are out on the streets risking their lives, worrying their families, working in all conditions, for minimal pay, and forced to make life or death decisions that most of us would never want to face. All the while they deal with self righteous people like you second guessing every move they make. I hope there is a next time as far as him responding to calls, he is a good Deputy with many years of service ahead of him. I think your comments are insensitive and uncalled for, it isn't your place to judge. So, save your prayers for yourself John 316, because you are one who needs them. The rest of us will continue to give sincere prayers to this man and his family.
Friend

Fairfield, VA

#26 Jan 7, 2013
Dakota wrote:
<quoted text>
You hang loose and let me think...I will figure out who you are. Don't really mention too many details about the person I was prodding at 29 lol, I didn't expect a SDHS reunion here at 29...lets not send some freak back home down there. using no names or addys... give me three words and see if I can remember who you are. I bet I can.
Okay, I have tried to think of three words (which are not names or addys) to give you a hint but the only three words that come to mind are "Are you crazy?" Can't be done! LOL

Anyway--regarding the 29 person you are prodding--you were/are older than him, so you should have been a mature example for him to follow instead of leading him into trouble. Shame, shame!

Without mentioning names--do you ever run into the science teacher's son in person or on the Internet??? When I think about Tale Tales on Snob's Knob, he comes to mind. Oh, my!
Friend

Fairfield, VA

#27 Jan 7, 2013
You have NO idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a Law Enforcement Officer? Have you ever responded to a 911 call? Any emergency service call? What do you know about his job? You can not put yourself in his place and therefore have no idea what it was like for him that night or any other for that matter. Have you ever had an accident of any kind or made a mistake? Oh no, maybe you are perfect...I know that I am not and as far as I know no one is. No one knows the details of this accident, this media outlet has misrepresented the facts and you are obviously assuming facts not in evidence at this point as well. Furthermore, these Deputies put more miles on these cars in one year than most people do in five so it is a wonder that they don't have more accidents. They are all very good drivers, but they spend all their time on the road and they are put in situations where they NEED to drive at high rates of speed. There are many factors that then come into play that could cause an ACCIDENT. I live in Augusta County and if I call I want them driving fast to get to my house! This is a very large County and we have very few Deputies on the road at one time to cover it, so they do the best they can to get there as quickly as they can. So, while you sit back in your recliner at night in the safety of your nice warm home try not to be so critical of the men and women that are out on the streets risking their lives, worrying their families, working in all conditions, for minimal pay, and forced to make life or death decisions that most of us would never want to face. All the while they deal with self righteous people like you second guessing every move they make. I hope there is a next time as far as him responding to calls, he is a good Deputy with many years of service ahead of him. I think your comments are insensitive and uncalled for, it isn't your place to judge. So, save your prayers for yourself John 316, because you are one who needs them. The rest of us will continue to give sincere prayers to this man and his family.
Very well said!!! Thank you!!
Friend

Fairfield, VA

#28 Jan 7, 2013
John 316 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you seem to own a Bible, Mr. John 3:16, please take the time to read Matthew 7: 1 - 5. Jesus gives some great advice which is needed in this case.
Research your facts

Waynesboro, VA

#29 Jan 7, 2013
You have NO idea wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are Deputy Sholes has a documented history of vehicular incidents. The Virginia Court system is available to everyone and his record is evident for any who care to inquire. This applies to all of you who have responded with such hate to those stating this deputy should be held accountable for his actions. What would you all be saying had he hit and killed someone with his vehicle while responding? Is that just collateral damage to you all? What if it is your loved one who is maimed or killed by a police officer speeding recklessly to respond to a call? Is that acceptable to you? How many police officers and first responders were pulled from other areas of the county where they may have been needed to respond to his crash? Why do you think so many jurisdictions do not engage in high-speed pursuit of criminals? Because doing so puts the officers and the public at risk. Law enforcement officers are tasked with safe guarding the public they are sworn to defend. This applies to all facets of their job, including driving safely at all times. I have the deepest utmost respect for our police officers and first responders. You are all correct stating they do a job that most people won't do. However, you fail to realize the very nature of their position holds them to a higher standard. I sincerely hope the ACSD will take this opportunity to reinforce safe driving habits of its deputies. I sincerely hope Deputy Sholes makes a full recovery and learns from this experience.
Foe

Fairfield, VA

#30 Jan 7, 2013
Research your facts wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are Deputy Sholes has a documented history of vehicular incidents. The Virginia Court system is available to everyone and his record is evident for any who care to inquire. This applies to all of you who have responded with such hate to those stating this deputy should be held accountable for his actions. What would you all be saying had he hit and killed someone with his vehicle while responding? Is that just collateral damage to you all? What if it is your loved one who is maimed or killed by a police officer speeding recklessly to respond to a call? Is that acceptable to you? How many police officers and first responders were pulled from other areas of the county where they may have been needed to respond to his crash? Why do you think so many jurisdictions do not engage in high-speed pursuit of criminals? Because doing so puts the officers and the public at risk. Law enforcement officers are tasked with safe guarding the public they are sworn to defend. This applies to all facets of their job, including driving safely at all times. I have the deepest utmost respect for our police officers and first responders. You are all correct stating they do a job that most people won't do. However, you fail to realize the very nature of their position holds them to a higher standard. I sincerely hope the ACSD will take this opportunity to reinforce safe driving habits of its deputies. I sincerely hope Deputy Sholes makes a full recovery and learns from this experience.
The latest statement reveals that the officer had a blown back tire and a witness said the car was fishtailing before leaving the roadway. So if equipment failure is at fault, it makes all your know-it-all lecturing worthless. Stuff a sock in it!!!!!
Sunny2468

Fairfield, VA

#31 Jan 7, 2013
Research your facts wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are Deputy Sholes has a documented history of vehicular incidents. The Virginia Court system is available to everyone and his record is evident for any who care to inquire.
I cared to inquire. His documented history includes one conviction of improper control, whereby he was fined $35, and a case in 2006 which was dismissed--no conviction. Exaggerate much???
Dakota

Atlanta, GA

#32 Jan 8, 2013
To my FRIEND

I am thinking :). Can you imagine how many time I have heard "are you crazy" and "can't be done".There was usually 'BLUE LIGHTS" shining light on the situation and I prolly said HOLD ON and pray :).

But anyway , I really need you no take a deep breath, relax, all is well and I KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I have known who you were about 15 min after you showed up here. Billions of people on this planet and you show up :). Not a problem 1and 00% my fault .

Keep in mind . THINGS are not always as they appear.

W I will say as much in as few words as I can to prove this to you .ugg brevity is not my thing :)

In 2004 a stranger approached you and handed you a package ,It was in August ( it was from me ), I have not seen you since . That same day I had to say goodbye to my best friend, I sent my lifelong friend “Ted” who I trusted well to see her off and make sure she got a good start on her new adventure. I know at this point I need say no more...my GUT has never failed me when it was really important.

What I do need to do is not mention what I have written here between US with anyone as there is not a soul on this planet who can read between the lines BUT YOU if I have done my job right here , I am 100% positive I have or I would not chance it .

With that said , you keep that package close to your heart, and DO NOT share it WITH another soul on this planet. Don't drive yourself crazy why . Somebody will be in contact with you in under 72 hours. You will know to trust them, but it may take you a second to realize it ( you will know them ) but don't jump to conclusions about who is coming , YOU do not share DNA with him ...but you will know him after you take a second...remember its been decades

So lets run a diversion here to give people something to talk about …you need to trust me when I say they will...elsewhere. I need you to not answer anything from anybody here or anywhere ( I know after reading this you have a million questions.. I don't have all the answers yet , but I am closer than I have ever been! You just simply respond to me “I UNDERSTAND” or “I DO NOT UNDERSTAND” for my entire ramble. I will look you up sometime between June 1 and DEC 10 of this year . You carry on here or anywhere..just leave us out of it for now.. I will even throw another post up for you to laugh at ...just don't respond :)

You stay healthy , happy and active... for when I do get there to see you after all these years , If my heart should give out before I do , or I get run over by a bus...always know I love you ., heck we went to the first day of kindergarten together... seems like a lifetime has passed .

Ps, I like your chicks and bees ;) I have never claimed to be an ANGEL lol , But I do keep a watch on a few people I care about, I am the KEEPER OF SECRETS , everybody that really knows me knows that !all I could do is watch from afar, sometimes painful not to be able to say anything.did you think changing your name and moving would throw me off :)

I need you to understand , this is how I show my love.

Happy Birthday a few days early
Dakota

Atlanta, GA

#33 Jan 8, 2013
The last time I seen RH was when he stopped by my house and told me goodbye when he was leaving for the military ,late 80's.
Foe

Fairfield, VA

#34 Jan 8, 2013
Dakota wrote:
To my FRIEND
I am thinking :). Can you imagine how many time I have heard "are you crazy" and "can't be done".There was usually 'BLUE LIGHTS" shining light on the situation and I prolly said HOLD ON and pray :).
But anyway , I really need you no take a deep breath, relax, all is well and I KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I have known who you were about 15 min after you showed up here. Billions of people on this planet and you show up :). Not a problem 1and 00% my fault .
Keep in mind . THINGS are not always as they appear.
W I will say as much in as few words as I can to prove this to you .ugg brevity is not my thing :)
In 2004 a stranger approached you and handed you a package ,It was in August ( it was from me ), I have not seen you since . That same day I had to say goodbye to my best friend, I sent my lifelong friend “Ted” who I trusted well to see her off and make sure she got a good start on her new adventure. I know at this point I need say no more...my GUT has never failed me when it was really important.
What I do need to do is not mention what I have written here between US with anyone as there is not a soul on this planet who can read between the lines BUT YOU if I have done my job right here , I am 100% positive I have or I would not chance it .
With that said , you keep that package close to your heart, and DO NOT share it WITH another soul on this planet. Don't drive yourself crazy why . Somebody will be in contact with you in under 72 hours. You will know to trust them, but it may take you a second to realize it ( you will know them ) but don't jump to conclusions about who is coming , YOU do not share DNA with him ...but you will know him after you take a second...remember its been decades
So lets run a diversion here to give people something to talk about …you need to trust me when I say they will...elsewhere. I need you to not answer anything from anybody here or anywhere ( I know after reading this you have a million questions.. I don't have all the answers yet , but I am closer than I have ever been! You just simply respond to me “I UNDERSTAND” or “I DO NOT UNDERSTAND” for my entire ramble. I will look you up sometime between June 1 and DEC 10 of this year . You carry on here or anywhere..just leave us out of it for now.. I will even throw another post up for you to laugh at ...just don't respond :)
You stay healthy , happy and active... for when I do get there to see you after all these years , If my heart should give out before I do , or I get run over by a bus...always know I love you ., heck we went to the first day of kindergarten together... seems like a lifetime has passed .
Ps, I like your chicks and bees ;) I have never claimed to be an ANGEL lol , But I do keep a watch on a few people I care about, I am the KEEPER OF SECRETS , everybody that really knows me knows that !all I could do is watch from afar, sometimes painful not to be able to say anything.did you think changing your name and moving would throw me off :)
I need you to understand , this is how I show my love.
Happy Birthday a few days early
Bingo!!! Besides, I made sure you knew my name change and where I moved. Got your Burpee catalog yet?
Smart Ask Attitude

Fairfield, VA

#35 Jan 10, 2013
To whom it may concern:
You are correct: I was a lousy wife, an even worse mother and lousy daughter and an all around poor excuse for a human being. Just ask my sister. I have prayed for forgivness, but I can't change history. I would if I could. I stay to myself as much as I can so I can have very little negative effects on anyone elses lives and that is the best as I can do. I am sorry that I couldn't do better. I love you and will to my dying breath.

Tonight reminded me of my sainted mother's 80th birthday when one of my brothers came and said many of the same things you said tonight about what a terrible mother "she" had been. Sister "S" always said mother was a terrible mother. It's all in the perspective. I thought she was perfect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as vice preside... 7 hr Chicagoan by Birth 489
paige cook who got some of that horny girl at t... Aug 23 godspeedcops5 1
best doctor to go to for pain meds Aug 20 cdub 1
Who is Bringing in Illegal Immigrants ? Aug 17 so you know 4
my short view on trump Aug 17 so you know 3
Biggest White Privilaged Family in America The ... Aug 15 bluestreak returns 5
News Why Tim Kaine has already made history Aug 13 bluestreak returns 56
More from around the web