Coal's Road To Nowhere: The Coalfields Expressway

Sep 3, 2012 Full story: ThinkProgress

In the tranquil, misty mountains of southwest Virginia, the coal industry is trying to build its very own road to nowhere.

Full Story
traveler

Wise, VA

#1 Sep 5, 2012
well we all need roads that go no where take a trip out west they have a lot of roads that go no where
disgusted

Wise, VA

#3 Sep 7, 2012
Tired of the Sierra club and other groups trying to decide what people need in their lives. We need several highways and by god if it takes a strip job to get it completed then the Sierra club needs to spend billions of dollars or shut their mouth. I don't mind for the coal companies to make money on this, that's why it's called a synergy project. The state and federal government don't have the funds to build this vital highway. This place is never going to open up if we don't get the infrastructure for businesses to come here. I'm tired of hearing about a road to nowhere. It goes from Pound to Clintwood to Haysi to Buchanan county industrial/business park alway to the WV border. The Virginia part of this will be finished before the Wv part of CFX. The upper end of CfX is almost completed to Mullens with a unused section in Welch next to the Federal prison. In WV a section of the King Coal highway has been opened up from Horsepen to Delbarton/Matewan due to the coal
Synergy project, including a brand new high school built there and also the a new 3 billion dollar coal to liquids plant. Kentucky will have Rt.460 completed to the Virginia border within the next year-year and a half. Also the 2 tallest bridges in the state of Virginia are halfway completed in the Breaks interstate park area. These highways are coming And everybody needs to jump on board to modernize the western part of Virginia, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Things will never change as long as we have 2 lane roads to no where.
vroom

Lebanon, VA

#4 Sep 8, 2012
Amen maybe if we had some decent roads we might get decent jobs you tree huggers can sit on it you bunch of Yankees go back to New York I've lived here my whole life your just trouble makers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Obama (Aug '10) Dec 2 Nick 98
Former Va. Superintendent Dr. Bill Bosher passe... Dec 1 Pat Ellington 1
Republican Ed Gillespie concedes Virginia Senat... Nov '14 Constitutional_Reset 3
Bob McDonnell: Mitt Romney will win Virginia (Apr '12) Nov '14 Swedenforever 12
Age of consent in Virginia?? (Apr '07) Nov '14 Ive_Been_Through_... 103
Goodbye West Virginia Oct '14 Ace McMillan 3
Gay marriage in Mason Co. Oct '14 NorCal Native 51
More from around the web