Rutherford Institute Urges GA to Take Action After ABC Incident

A Charlottesville group is calling on representatives in the General Assembly to take more action following an Alcoholic Beverage Control raid in April. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The End

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 8, 2013
Oh please,if she wasn't a UVA student we wouldn't even known this had happened
legal watch

Orange, VA

#3 Jul 8, 2013
Maybe the IRS should look into this non-profit.
Rutherford Institute is a 501(c)(3) organization.

Move on people
Hater Watch

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 8, 2013
Just because it's a UVA student we should move aside and let this abuse slide? That is extreme prejudice.

It's still a moot point as in reality, they are police, so they are untouchable, even if the result is an unlawful death. Google Jonathan Ayers.
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#5 Jul 8, 2013
legal watch wrote:
Maybe the IRS should look into this non-profit.
Rutherford Institute is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Move on people
Or we should change the subject from the violation of civil liberties of citizens to political posturing to what has become essentially a non-scandal.
Pulling weapons on people for buying water is an egregarious violations of civil rights and people should be enraged.
TL in Cville

Midlothian, VA

#6 Jul 8, 2013
What is the "GA" mentioned in the headline?
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#7 Jul 8, 2013
TL in Cville wrote:
What is the "GA" mentioned in the headline?
"A Charlottesville group is calling on representatives in the General Assembly to take more action following an Alcoholic Beverage Control raid in April."

I'm going to go out on a limb here after reading the first sentence of the article and guess that it means Golfing Associate.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>"A Charlottesville group is calling on representatives in the General Assembly to take more action following an Alcoholic Beverage Control raid in April."
I'm going to go out on a limb here after reading the first sentence of the article and guess that it means Golfing Associate.
And please stay at the end of that limb till we let you climb back.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 8, 2013
Daly is/was guilty of the most heinous of crimes possible, "Contempt of Cop". These bullies were enraged that she dared to disobey them and were out to punish her for her misdeeds. Fire the lot of them, failing that, send them out for retraining. Make them work as baggers at Whole Foods until they can tell the difference between beer and water 2 out of three times without being told.
Chuck

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jul 8, 2013
- The subject failed to comply with a lawful order. The question is why? The recording clearly shows that they saw and acknowledged the badge being flashed (the caller's words). Or did they truly not realize that they were being addressed by Law Enforcement Officers?

- The ABC Agents clearly went over the top in this case. What ever happened to approaching someone in a deliberate and respectful manner? Did they really have to swarm all over these girls the way they did?

I wish there was a video of the whole incident.
Jaded

Richmond, VA

#11 Jul 8, 2013
I don't understand why people aren't more outraged by this. Law enforcement is completely out of control over all the wrong issues. If someone breaks your car window and steals valuables, you might get one complacent officer who couldn't care less. Most likely dispatch will tell you to file a report online - this is what happened when my tenant's scooter was stolen in Belmont. If someone is reported to be smoking a joint the facking SWAT team will show up. I accidentally set off my home alarm about a year ago and the police were dispatched to the property - about 4 thugs with bullet proof vests and automatic weapons showed up and interrogated me for over 30 minutes...it was unbelievable. I'm sick and tired of stories like this.
ABC Officer maybe

Bumpass, VA

#12 Jul 8, 2013
Jaded wrote:
I don't understand why people aren't more outraged by this. Law enforcement is completely out of control over all the wrong issues. If someone breaks your car window and steals valuables, you might get one complacent officer who couldn't care less. Most likely dispatch will tell you to file a report online - this is what happened when my tenant's scooter was stolen in Belmont. If someone is reported to be smoking a joint the facking SWAT team will show up. I accidentally set off my home alarm about a year ago and the police were dispatched to the property - about 4 thugs with bullet proof vests and automatic weapons showed up and interrogated me for over 30 minutes...it was unbelievable. I'm sick and tired of stories like this.
Like I posted earlier, even if she were guilty, they shouldn't have handled it in a strong arm storm trooper manner. I am completely in agreement with you over this; there is not nearly enough outrage over this. The head of ABC should step down.
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#13 Jul 8, 2013
*busted*
Jim S

Crozet, VA

#14 Jul 8, 2013
I think the big problem here is a training issue with the ABC agents.
They are trained as current police officers are that in a group they use a "shock and awe" approach where they overwhelm the suspect(s) with such a quantity of officers and an attitude like a pack of rapid dogs that the suspects will surrender.
I have no problem with them doing this with a drug dealer and his Uzi carrying cohorts. It would probably save life, especially the officers.
But to use the same tactic on a couple of 19 year old girls who might be charged with misdemeanor possession of alcohol by a minor just boggles the imagination.
The perception that the ABC Commission is now given that they allow their roving groups of jack booted thugs to intimidate the citizens of the Commonwealth at will.
I take my comments on this very seriously as I am a retired police officer with 27 years of service. But I come from the old school where we did show respect and restraint.
Six officers on an underage beer bust in a public parking lot couldn't safely and reasonably talk to 3 college age girls. Time to turn in your badges you wannabe SWAT cops.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jul 8, 2013
Some call it training, it ain't training, its attitude. The average cop looks at the average citizen with contempt as we look at them with distrust. Our outlook towards LE is deserved, they're outlook on us is irrational. You want proof, what sane cop pulls a gun on young women for no other reason than buying water? The average cop these days is not the average cop of past, before they're were bosses that fired bad cops, now they cover up.
Who Knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#16 Jul 8, 2013
I believe they were so gung-ho BECAUSE the girls were young and so not scary looking. If it had been three young guys dressed like gangsta gangbangers they would have let them go their merry way, even if they thought they were underage and had purchased alcohol. Had these ABC officers came out of the night, banged on windows, yelled and jumped on the hood of the car, there might be seven dead ABC officers.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 8, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
I believe they were so gung-**** BECAUSE the girls were young and so not scary looking. If it had been three young guys dressed like gangsta gangbangers they would have let them go their merry way, even if they thought they were underage and had purchased alcohol. Had these ABC officers came out of the night, banged on windows, yelled and jumped on the hood of the car, there might be seven dead ABC officers.
Its only a miracle that someone didn't get shot here and then we would be confronted with another black hole in the news.
Spud

Scottsville, VA

#19 Jul 9, 2013
Why weren't they in Harris teeter throwing the manager against the wall for selling water to someone under 21?
hunter

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 9, 2013
Even if the agents thought the water was beer, is that a shooting offense in Virginia? Why don't we just arm the store's register workers with shotguns and they can just shoot any underage person trying to buy beer?
middle seat

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jul 9, 2013
sez you wrote:
Some call it training, it ain't training, its attitude. The average cop looks at the average citizen with contempt as we look at them with distrust. Our outlook towards LE is deserved, they're outlook on us is irrational. You want proof, what sane cop pulls a gun on young women for no other reason than buying water? The average cop these days is not the average cop of past, before they're were bosses that fired bad cops, now they cover up.
I agree totally. I'd be interested to also find out the average ages of the agents involved in this case. It doesn't sound like they had enough wisdom/experience needed to handle any type of situation life could possible bring their way. As citizens, we deserve better. I've noticed over the years that law enforcement officers get younger and younger, and law enforcement officers attitudes with the public they are supposed to serve, get worse and worse. This may be off-topic slightly, but the "younger generation" seems to have a general issue with being "disrespected" by anyone. Combine that attitude with a badge and what do you get?? Exactly what happened to these young women. I was raised to believe that respect is earned, not given away. Law enforcement must respect the people they have sworn to protect or else these types of crimes against citizens will become more frequent.
Clarence Roberts used to be the only ABC agent in town, and he did a great job! All of these clowns combined don't have the stuff to stand in his shoes. Sad times for c-ville.
middle seat

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jul 9, 2013
Spud wrote:
Why weren't they in Harris teeter throwing the manager against the wall for selling water to someone under 21?
Excellent point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Obama (Aug '10) Dec 2 Nick 98
Former Va. Superintendent Dr. Bill Bosher passe... Dec 1 Pat Ellington 1
Republican Ed Gillespie concedes Virginia Senat... Nov '14 Constitutional_Reset 3
Bob McDonnell: Mitt Romney will win Virginia (Apr '12) Nov '14 Swedenforever 12
Age of consent in Virginia?? (Apr '07) Nov '14 Ive_Been_Through_... 103
Goodbye West Virginia Oct '14 Ace McMillan 3
Gay marriage in Mason Co. Oct '14 NorCal Native 51
More from around the web