Age of consent in Virginia??
Linnea

Burlington, NC

#64 Jan 18, 2012
Mike wrote:
Virginia is really tricky, being a Commonwealth versus a State. The legal age of consent is 18, however, under certain conditions 16 with parental permission.
Although it is referred to as 'the commonwealth of Virginia' it is in fact a state..and the age of consent is 16 just like in North Carolina.
Cherry

Ashburn, VA

#65 Jan 20, 2012
star wrote:
i know on one site it says 16 and then 18. my bf is 22.im only 16.but i realy want to do it with him.
IF your 16 and referring to the act of sexual intercourse as "doing it" or "I want to do it", not only do you have no business dating a 22 year old, but you are also clearly to immature to have sex. Youth is sad now-a-days :/
Nicole

Richmond, VA

#66 Jan 28, 2012
Hi! I'm 14, my boyfriend is 16. We just recently started dating, but we've been extremely close friends for the past 2 years so we've already built a very serious relationship. Him and his family are really catholic, and they don't believe in sex before marriage. But he says he can't picture himself losing his virginity to anyone other than me. I'm an atheist, raised in a home where my mother is fairly religious but my father isn't sure himself, he's more agnostic than anything. I have never talked to my parents about sex because I would not want to scare them, I believe it's way too soon. I don't think my parents would tell me I can't have sex until marriage, because they actually had me 4 years before they married and I was an unplanned pregnancy. They think my boyfriend is a great guy, he treats me like a princess. We both have really strong morals; neither of us drink, smoke, do any kind of drugs, and we both do well in school and plan on attending college and all of that. I know for a fact that if I choose to have sex with my boyfriend, which we've talked about quite a bit, it would still be a long time from now, only once we are both sure we're ready, and we would use protection, without a doubt. We are both sure we'll still be together by the time he turns 18, November 2013; I'll be turning 16 in December 2013. My question is, if we ARE still together by the time I turn 16 and he turns 18 (regardless of whether or not we have sex before he is 18), is this illegal? Would I have to talk to my parents about it first? Or would that be a red flag, where they would make us break up or just carefully watch us until we break up in case they think we're having sex? Could he be arrested? Thanks!
Cupcake

Stephens City, VA

#67 Feb 2, 2012
Okay so if i'm 14 & my bf just turned 18 is it okay for us to continue our relationship with little to no sex and parental permission? He loves me and i love him and i've completely turned his like around. He use to smoke weed and everything but ive gotten him to stop. I'm the only girl he's ever quit for. So all i really want to know is it legal for a 14 year old to be with an 18 year old with the parents permission?
Whoa

Bumpass, VA

#68 Feb 20, 2012
Cupcake wrote:
Okay so if i'm 14 & my bf just turned 18 is it okay for us to continue our relationship with little to no sex and parental permission? He loves me and i love him and i've completely turned his like around. He use to smoke weed and everything but ive gotten him to stop. I'm the only girl he's ever quit for. So all i really want to know is it legal for a 14 year old to be with an 18 year old with the parents permission?
You cannot consent. Under no circumstances should he have sex with you. He would face 10 years in Prision and up to $100,000 fine.

Sex, by definition, in the state of virginia is defined by.

"carnal knowledge" includes the acts of sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, analingus, anal intercourse, and animate and inanimate object sexual penetration."

This means if you two "do it", he "goes down", you "go down" he goes "back door", or if he even uses a finger or a toy on you.

LISTEN UP KIDS. VA has strict laws. IF YOU ARE 18, you may not, under any circumstance without being married, do anything with anyone under the age of 18 that meets the definition above.

There are special rules for 15, 16, & 17 year olds. They cannot be more than 2 years apart, that critera is set by your birthdate. Once one member turns 18, it applies again and the minor CAN NOT CONSENT. A PERSON OF THE AGE OF 14 OR BELOW, CANNOT CONSENT. So if you are a SR in highschool and you want to get with a froshman, you could be facing a year in jail over it... JUST DON'T DO IT.
Whoa

Bumpass, VA

#69 Feb 20, 2012
Nicole wrote:
Hi! I'm 14, my boyfriend is 16. We just recently started dating, but we've been extremely close friends for the past 2 years so we've already built a very serious relationship. Him and his family are really catholic, and they don't believe in sex before marriage. But he says he can't picture himself losing his virginity to anyone other than me. I'm an atheist, raised in a home where my mother is fairly religious but my father isn't sure himself, he's more agnostic than anything. I have never talked to my parents about sex because I would not want to scare them, I believe it's way too soon. I don't think my parents would tell me I can't have sex until marriage, because they actually had me 4 years before they married and I was an unplanned pregnancy. They think my boyfriend is a great guy, he treats me like a princess. We both have really strong morals; neither of us drink, smoke, do any kind of drugs, and we both do well in school and plan on attending college and all of that. I know for a fact that if I choose to have sex with my boyfriend, which we've talked about quite a bit, it would still be a long time from now, only once we are both sure we're ready, and we would use protection, without a doubt. We are both sure we'll still be together by the time he turns 18, November 2013; I'll be turning 16 in December 2013. My question is, if we ARE still together by the time I turn 16 and he turns 18 (regardless of whether or not we have sex before he is 18), is this illegal? Would I have to talk to my parents about it first? Or would that be a red flag, where they would make us break up or just carefully watch us until we break up in case they think we're having sex? Could he be arrested? Thanks!
Yes, it is illegal if he is 18 and you are below 18. You two are 2 years apart. If you two, by your birthdates are less than 2 calander years apart, it is not illegal until he turns 18. However, right now you are 14, and therefore it is illegal for him to have sex with you. If you two are less than two calender years apart by your birthdates, and both are older than 14, yet younger than 18, you two may engage. I don't recommend it at your age, but legally you can. Please use birth control, talk to your parents and get informed. Once he turns 18, you again, cannot consent to have sex with him until you have turned 18 yourself. Again, please get educated. Make good choices.
Whoa

Bumpass, VA

#70 Feb 20, 2012
For anymore questions:

The age of consent in Virginia is 18, with a close in age exception which allows teenagers aged 15, 16 and 17 to engage in sexual acts, but only with a partner younger than 18. However the legislation is not clear cut and the details are discussed below:
Any penetrative sexual act other than penile-vaginal intercourse is defined in Virginia law as 'sodomy.' Section 18.2-361 of the Code of Virginia entitled "Crimes against nature" states in part; "If any person carnally knows in any manner any brute animal, or carnally knows any male or female person by the anus or by or with the mouth, or voluntarily submits to such carnal knowledge, he or she shall be guilty of ... felony..."

In addition, any sexual intercourse is defined in Virginia law as 'fornication.' Section 18.2-344 of the Code of Virginia entitled "Crimes against nature" states;
"Any person, not being married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any other person, shall be guilty of fornication, punishable as a Class 4 misdemeanor."

The courts of Virginia have ruled that these statutes are not invalid under the US Supreme Court's decision in Lawrence v. Texas since that case only applied to adults, and the age of majority in Virginia is 18. This means that those 18 and above involved in consensual activity in private may have a defense in court, but those under 18 do not.

Section 18.2-63 of the Code refers to minors younger than 15, while 18.2-371 is about 15, 16 and 17 years olds. Section 18.2-63 states in part: "If any person carnally knows, without the use of force, a child thirteen years of age or older but under fifteen years of age, such person shall be guilty of ... felony ... For the purposes of this section,(i) a child under the age of thirteen years shall not be considered a consenting child and (ii) "carnal knowledge" includes the acts of sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, analingus, anal intercourse, and animate and inanimate object sexual penetration."
GPaws

Cambridge, MA

#71 Mar 22, 2012
my bf is 18 and i am 17 (and four months). he will be 19 in july we are exactly 1 year and six months apart. my mom does not like him because i am out of his league (which every one knows). i like him alot and i have never really felt this way about another guy. i have been on over 42 dates and have had over 12 boyfriends and have only had sex once. i am also an honor roll student (i dont know if that plays with the case at all). i understand i have a bright future and he and i are complete oppisties. my bf and i only see eachother at school, and havent had sex. my mom wants to throw him in jail/ put a restraining order against him but i dont want her to. i have no idea what to do.
GPaws

Cambridge, MA

#72 Mar 22, 2012
Nicole wrote:
1st off protection doesnt always work make sure you talk to your parents about birth control WHICH IS AGAIST CATHOLIC techings which i know because i am a confirmed catholic. you will never be ready to lose your virginity even if you think he is the right guy. YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND need to sit down with both set of your parents and talk about yalls relationship and the future of you guys being together. it will be uncomfortable but if you guys really "love" (read 1 corinthians 13:8 ) eachother you can face anything. remember you guys are a team: no secrets, no lies, everything 50/50 and stand by each other; you may not be married but there is always a possibility.
Tommy

Pembroke, NC

#73 Apr 2, 2012
I'm 22 & the girl is 16 we have known each other for years. The legal age of consent is 16 in NC. Therefore, it is perfectly legal for us to be together.
saffiyah

Chester, VA

#74 Apr 10, 2012
hey.. ok so my boyfriend just turned 18 last month and im about to turn 16 in july. Is our relationship legal?.
Concerned mother 2

Chesapeake, VA

#75 Apr 19, 2012
My son is 22 and his gf is17 is it legal with the parents consent especially since I know the haven't had sex my son respects her and wants to wait a year till she's 18
jocey

United States

#76 Apr 21, 2012
Hi im 17 and my boyfriend is 18. Is this illegal? I dont want my mom to flip out or call the cops on my boyfriend if she finds out!??! Please answer!??
Brittanyy D

United States

#77 Apr 22, 2012
I have a question? I'm 17 soon be 18 in october.. and my boyfriend is 25. Would it be legal at all.. My boyfriend feels like the cops would come after him from being around me..
JewishLawyer

Fredericksburg, VA

#78 Jun 13, 2012
The legal age of sexual consent is 15-16, being illegal for anyone 18 or older to have intercourse with someone under 18. There is a clause called the "Romeo & Juliet", where there is a three (3) year gap of allowance past the age of 18 if the two people involved are 3 years of age apart or within the limit. Example; if you are 19, you can have sex with someone who is 17. if you are 18, you can have sex with someone who is 16.
EACB

Olney, MD

#79 Jul 10, 2012
My son is 17 and his girlfriend is 16, she will be 17 in October an my son 18 in January, is it legal for them to date? If they have sex it will be consequences for my son (I pushing hard for not to happen).
Cody

Powhatan, VA

#80 Jul 10, 2012
RottyRosco wrote:
Hey all, im real confused about the law in Virginia as per the age of consent. One part says 18, the other part says 15. One part mentions 16, so im real confused. I wonder more about the deal with oral sex in Virginia, since i dont believe in sex before marriage. Im getting mixed reviews all over the place, its kinda difficult. Anything???
If you don't believe in sex before marriage,oral SEX is still sex
very horney girl

Mechanicsville, VA

#81 Jul 17, 2012
so im 18 dating a 17 year old is that illegal? and we're only 6 months apart..
sincerely: very horney girl ;)
freind

United States

#82 Jul 19, 2012
What is the Age of Consent for Sex in Virginia. I hjave a delima for thbose who may know if somone is. 25 and has sex with a girl that is 17 and a half how would that work in quart just asking got a friend with this problem and is confused he has got to kids and a great job I would hope nothing bad but but would like comments plz
Cleo

King George, VA

#83 Jul 19, 2012
Virginia's age of consent is 18. 15-17 year olds can consent with EACH OTHER. However, they cannot consent to those over the age of 18.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More options for women Aug 22 thenose 4
News Fighting back against substance abuse Aug 16 killer Annette 2
News Ex-Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife charged with fed... (Jan '14) Aug 11 Jeffersons shame 36
News Virginia for the Win: Can Terry McAuliffe save ... Jul '15 Phil 1
News Virginia questions a 4-lane legacy as road name... Jul '15 Ecossias 3
News Change.org petition seeks to change name of Jef... Jul '15 rebel111 2
News California vaccine bill: Questions and answers Jul '15 Matthew 5
More from around the web