Rutherford: Say No to Texting & Drivi...

Rutherford: Say No to Texting & Driving as Primary Offense

There are 24 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 6, 2013, titled Rutherford: Say No to Texting & Driving as Primary Offense. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Texting and driving is dangerous and in many cases, deadly. The Virginia General Assembly recently passed a bill that would make texting and driving a primary offense, but a Charlottesville civil rights group wants you to know the law would be devastating to your Fourth-Amendment rights.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
More to say

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Mar 7, 2013
So did the Rutherford Institute propose any alternate wording during the drafting stage?

If not, was that because there's no attorney's fees to be gained from helping with drafting. Whereas, by dragging the Commonwealth through a multi-year court battle, they might be awarded another round of funding in fees?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Mar 8, 2013
Dragging the Commonwealth through a multi-year court battle doesn't need to happen.

The guv has not signed it yet.

"While the Rutherford Institute wants to see a law passed to curb texting and driving, it wants clarification."

A perfectly sensible request.

Amend the wording in the bill to clarify, then pass, and sign it.

Heck even Rand Paul just wanted clarification.
Braden

Southfield, MI

#3 Mar 8, 2013
It's a shame the Rutherford Institute doesn't stand up for more of our rights that are being trampled on every day. Because they pick and choose which "rights" they want stand up for, I hope no one gives them the time of day for this drivel.
concerned

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 8, 2013
texting while driving should be a primary offense
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#5 Mar 8, 2013
I think texting drivers are dbags and hazards and rate them barely above the mud I scrape off my shoes, but it's generally very very easy to determine who is doing it as opposed to drivers changing the radio station, etc. I think it's great the Rutherford Institute is vigilant in the pursuit of making sure this distinction is respected to protect drivers at large. Half-assed measures of law are almost always worse than no law in the first place, due to unintended consequences, and I'm glad there are some people devoted to ensuring that our rights are protected, even if it does delay the comeuppance of trash people.
Jermaine

Palmyra, VA

#7 Mar 8, 2013
Apparently h-o-m-i-e is offensive to NBC29
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Thank YOU Rutherford Institute !

Just say NO !

Stand up people , don't be sitting at home thinking ..Well I never do it anyway...wont affect me. I cant sit in a lawnchair and text..much less drive too. BUT

THIS LAW WILL AFFECT YOU .... YES YOU , your faimly or kids or your Grandkids or co-workers.

Think about how this will be abused .

OLD PEOPLE ... You are the group who allow this stuff to get railroaded through .

This is another tool for LE to abuse to tear through your family's car at one point or another or taze you or whatever , maybe even shoot your dogs while you are belly down on I-81. NO ITS NOT BAD AROUND HERE , we don't have the crazy chases ,LE abuse .......

BUT ITS COMMING ! IF we don't stop and think .

OLD FOLK.. we need you .....to stop and think and use common sense , do the right things and we can save money also or at least spend less than we take in with TAXES and fines and BS.

We can do this is everybody get off those damn politcal sides.

EVERYBODY is rights about a lot of things !

everybody is talking = NOBODY listening .

NEVER TALKED TO THE POLICE = NEVER CONSENT TO SEARCH for ANY reason .

I will find some video for OLD PEOPLE ...maybe you can't hear , I love you old folk...imma talker you have the best stories to tell....

Imma get you some video
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#9 Mar 8, 2013
Remember OLDER people . Just cause you snuggled up home safe .

Your children , grandchildren your friends may be going through this .

THIS IS A BULLY WITH A BADGE .

THIS could be you

This is safe for work = show your coworkers.

randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#10 Mar 8, 2013
Dear everybody

Everybody goes through life thinking it always happens to somebody else .

Thats fine by me , your choice .

Please don't hand over MY familys rights for what you think is right for YOU .

We are in this together .

I will never do it to you .

Eating a hamburger while driving is already CAUSE to pull you over !

Any good COP will get up here and tell you that !

I just don't think you have any in the C_ville area with the integredy to get up here and tell you that .

Maybe I am wrong . Any good cop sees a reason need to pull you over for the right reasons HE/SHE will find a way . AND I SUPPORT THAT :), I have seen it done .

We still have good cops ... Its all about how WE communicate with them and it works BOTH ways.

we gotta figure those first 15 min out. we gotta learn to talk to each other .

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Dude

Culpeper, VA

#11 Mar 8, 2013
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. "
~George Bernard Shaw

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
~Benjamin Franklin

Oh please government....PROTECT ME
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#12 Mar 8, 2013
Braden wrote:
It's a shame the Rutherford Institute doesn't stand up for more of our rights that are being trampled on every day. Because they pick and choose which "rights" they want stand up for, I hope no one gives them the time of day for this drivel.
Then you STAND up where you think they are failing .

If you have time to be here bitching and moaning .

Start trying to talk to people ...

use your time wisley.... anybody can argue ..you will be shocked at how many people you can reach from a blog .

Take it or leave it
rocktown

Harrisonburg, VA

#13 Mar 8, 2013
"Texting and driving is dangerous and in many cases, deadly." Someone call Captain Obvious.
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#14 Mar 8, 2013
concerned wrote:
texting while driving should be a primary offense
Stupidity should get you at MIN on video being beat with a billy club by the cops at a major intersection on 29 in C-ville while some idiot yells world star.

Thats why they won't let me make any laws.

stupidity is ok , till it's not anymore.

A 5th grader is smarter than this.
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#15 Mar 8, 2013
Jermaine wrote:
To Whitehead:
You want to stop "the regime?" impeach your **** obama. Otherwise keep scratching at the stain on your pants.
Oh for the love of all things good .

Calm down , Obama ain't got nothing to do with this .

Get back here at home and fix the things we can .

Obama is BUSH in BLACK FACE. Who cares...

keep and eye on the BIG things ( trust me local news will bring the important stuff to you ). work on what we can fix at home.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#17 Mar 8, 2013
randomthoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
stupidity is ok , till it's not anymore.
Exactly.
Captain Obvious

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 8, 2013
rocktown wrote:
"Texting and driving is dangerous and in many cases, deadly." Someone call Captain Obvious.
Don't bother me, I'm texting.
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Mar 8, 2013
Devastating to my rights?! Well I hope that the Rutherford Institute "bumps into" the portly female driver that blew through a red light at Freebridge and almost broadsided me while her cell phone was being tapped upon. I welcome this law and any other that forces a driver to keep their flippers on the wheel and their eyes and tiny brains centered upon the road in front of them.
Dude

Chesapeake, OH

#20 Mar 8, 2013
citizen wrote:
Devastating to my rights?! Well I hope that the Rutherford Institute "bumps into" the portly female driver that blew through a red light at Freebridge and almost broadsided me while her cell phone was being tapped upon. I welcome this law and any other that forces a driver to keep their flippers on the wheel and their eyes and tiny brains centered upon the road in front of them.
You're also this boards biggest police apologist. It wouldn't surprise me if you were one, you've never denied it in the past when being accused of being one. So why wouldn't you support a law that hands you more power over the citizenry?
randomthoughts

Atlanta, GA

#21 Mar 8, 2013
About 9 Months from now there gonna be some mad teabaggers and hateful old folk around here . I will be frustrated because you boneheads will be done went onto the next story= something shiny....

WE Won't spend a few bucks to hand out some condoms and little education on not being knocked up at 14 ( you know older people how it worked 50 years ago) same BS different day . Thats if ONLY your grand-kids come home with something AJAX wont wash off. Aids and HEP c kill your children and grandchildren .. a little slower than texting and driving ... in the end YOU die with em emotionally .

Take it or leave it .

9 months from now you will wish we stopped the BS and haten on everybody when SOMEBODYS kids have a disease , or baby to start the cycle all over again be it great or miserable , not everybody turns out to Tim Tebow, boy couldn't put a football through a Ferris wheel at 50 feet... but he let the fame get to him ….still a great guy … but if he really like football.. he better get on both knees for Jesus... it ain’t working... but boy could he help stop this vicious cycle of teen children and abuse, throw the ball down for now.

I was born in September .I wonder what my 16 year old Moma and 17 year ol daddy were doing on a SNOW day :)....

Oh how easy it is to pretend ... ain’t it folk .

My Moma was a good Woman and Mother .. we never went without a thing we needed. When we were young .. HELL I didn't know we were not really poor but a few times she did what she had to do .

Funny how it works ... I bet if i drove south about 45 min and got up in the preachers spot ...:) that cute little southern White Baptist church I was Baptized in as a child ( didn't have a clue what was going on lol ) I am glad I did it.... The Man that Baptized me is one of the Areas finest Men ....

I bet if I stood up there today I could turn that place into a Westboro Baptist , talking in tounges Pentecostal rolling in the floor place and a couple passed out in the floor .( like that tent my MOMA sent me too over in Fishersville , the BUS alone I got up on in Cromira looked like it was hand painted by NAMBLA ... Preacher didn't have no shoes on and all they had to eat was watermelon... I hate watermelon.

Whats up midway Baptist :) HOLLA , I remember when you were a CIRCUS TENT = literally

I never missed my moma so much , i was trying to think of how to hitchhike home... I think I was 7 .

My Daddy said he never missed my momma so much either , it was a snow day .. Waynesboro school was OUT . I still have the hand letters they wrote :)

Wonder if I should read them in church ?

I had good parents too ....
Figures

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 8, 2013
Leave it to the Rutherford Institute to start something over a law that is actually good for society! Next thing you know, they'll be saying that the african american community are the only people who text and drive and that police are going to solely harrass them. The Rutherford Institute is a joke. They're a bunch of money hungry, can't get a real attorney job idiots who make the smallest of problem into the biggest of issues. This'll be another fight they completely fall flat on their asses over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Tim Kaine has already made history 15 hr Jared Axelrod Dem... 29
News Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump in Virginia,... Fri Michel Montvert 4
News Virginia court nixes order restoring felons' vo... Jul 23 NotSoDivineMSM 1
News Cuccinelli's floor fight draws rebukes, fans - ... Jul 20 Le Jimbo 1
Age of consent in Virginia?? (Apr '07) Jul 9 bri111 125
News Arizona says it has run out of drugs for execut... Jul 4 Cruel and Unusual 4
News Multiple fatalities reported in West Virginia f... Jun '16 Jvd!th 1
More from around the web