Mary Baldwin Celebrates Islam Awareness Week

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

It's Islam Awareness Week at a Staunton College. A Pakistani woman traveled thousands of miles to clear up misconceptions about the religion.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Santa

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

"A muslim cannot be a terrorist." That's cute.
Khan

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Santa wrote:
"A muslim cannot be a terrorist." That's cute.
Thanks Santa for bringing this good information in this Forum.
May Gid bless you for your kindness.

Islamophobia refers to unfounded fear of and hostility towards Islam. Such fear and hostility leads to discriminations against Muslims, exclusion of Muslims from mainstream political or social process, stereotyping, the presumption of guilt by association, and finally hate crimes. In twenty-first century America, all of these evils are present and in some quarters tolerated. While America has made major progress in racial harmony, there is still a long road ahead of us to reach our destination when all people are judged on the content of their character and neither on the color of their skin or their faith.
Islamophobia as a term and as a phenomena gained currency in part due to the popular thesis developed by Francis Fukuyama and Samuel Huntington that argued about an impending clash of civilization between Islam and the West. When 9-11 happened, the people already predisposed to viewing Islam with suspicion jumped on this bandwagon and through a multitude of primarily right wing outlets have been successful in creating a climate of extreme prejudice, suspicion and fear against Muslims. This sentiment has also been aided by many pro-Israeli commentators such as Daniel Pipes, Steve Emerson, Judith Miller, and Bernard Lewis among many others.
Islamophobia has resulted in the general and unquestioned acceptance of the following:
Islam is monolithic and cannot adapt to new realities.
Islam does not share common values with other major faiths.
Islam as a religion is inferior to the West. It is archaic, barbaric and irrational.
Islam is a religion of violence and supports terrorism.
Islam is a violent political ideology.[i]

We the Muslims will prove that Islam is a very peaceful and Humanistic religion, inshallah.
Khan

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Unbelievable wrote:
Now we have Islam awareness week? Are you serious? Stop pulling my leg! Like we aren't aware of Islam or something. WE DONT GIVE A S *# T ABOUT ISLAM! Stop celebrating this and all the black trash that's going on with Hussein in the white house. Can you believe that Hussein is in the black house with his little basketball court? And now Islam awareness week? How about Third Reich awareness week? Or Pol Pot awareness week? You can't just have one without letting everyone else have their week. The Islam awareness week culminates with a roadside IED and follows up with a videotaped beheading. Allah Akbah
I request all civilized and humane people of the world whether Jews, Christians, Hindus, Muslims or Buddhists to send the UTUBES below to Prez. Obama, the US Secretary of State State, and the Secretary General .of the United Nations to warn India from such gross human right violations in the illegally occupied Kashmir. It is necessary that urgent actions be taken to control the most cruel and inhumane oppression of the people of Kashmir. It has gone way too far in the last few months.

The UN has passed 6 Resolutions since 1947, demanding that India holds Plebiscite in that area and give these oppressed people the rights to decide their political destiny and future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch ...

Lynchburger

Purcellville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Mary Baldwin hounded my daughter when she was a high school senior although she had never shown an interest in the school. Emails, phone calls, catalogs ad nauseum. It really became a joke in our house -- what will then send this week? We knew we were not interested but this really confirms we made the right choice by dumping all materials in the trash can.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Khan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Santa for bringing this good information in this Forum.
May Gid bless you for your kindness.
Islamophobia refers to unfounded fear of and hostility towards Islam. Such fear and hostility leads to discriminations against Muslims, exclusion of Muslims from mainstream political or social process, stereotyping, the presumption of guilt by association, and finally hate crimes. In twenty-first century America, all of these evils are present and in some quarters tolerated. While America has made major progress in racial harmony, there is still a long road ahead of us to reach our destination when all people are judged on the content of their character and neither on the color of their skin or their faith.
Islamophobia as a term and as a phenomena gained currency in part due to the popular thesis developed by Francis Fukuyama and Samuel Huntington that argued about an impending clash of civilization between Islam and the West. When 9-11 happened, the people already predisposed to viewing Islam with suspicion jumped on this bandwagon and through a multitude of primarily right wing outlets have been successful in creating a climate of extreme prejudice, suspicion and fear against Muslims. This sentiment has also been aided by many pro-Israeli commentators such as Daniel Pipes, Steve Emerson, Judith Miller, and Bernard Lewis among many others.
Islamophobia has resulted in the general and unquestioned acceptance of the following:
Islam is monolithic and cannot adapt to new realities.
Islam does not share common values with other major faiths.
Islam as a religion is inferior to the West. It is archaic, barbaric and irrational.
Islam is a religion of violence and supports terrorism.
Islam is a violent political ideology.[i]
We the Muslims will prove that Islam is a very peaceful and Humanistic religion, inshallah.
Sure, that's why your leaders call Americans Zionist Pigs that must be eliminated. And the rest of you peaceful Muslims just keep your mouths shut and go along for the ride. Go spread your lies elsewhere. Most of us can spot a wolf in sheeps clothing.
kidrocky

Aroda, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

A womens liberal arts college celebrating a religion that oppresses women?

Look around people.....something just "ain't" right
with Academia land.
Highland

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Maybe Professor Akhtar needs to go see Zero Dark Thirty while she in here in the states.

Muslims cannot be terrorists??? Transparent academic nonsense.
DUDE

Purcellville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Take a few minutes and read this
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

kidrocky wrote:
A womens liberal arts college celebrating a religion that oppresses women?
Look around people.....something just "ain't" right
with Academia land.
The majority of religions do, and all the Abrahamic ones do. Which is somewhat ironical considering that Judaism is considered matriarchal.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

So if anyone else needs to be "aware" of how sickening Islam can be, google "Mufa'khathat" and the rite of doing so.
There is my contribution to Islam awareness.
DUDE

Purcellville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

I was in Arlington County less than a mile from the Pentagon on 9-11.
I learned about Islam on that day. Maybe she can explain the muslims celebrating in Dearborn Michigan when the WTC towers collasped or the beheading video of Mr Pearl.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

If your religion is intolerant,don't expect me to be tolerant of your religion.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

DUDE wrote:
I was in Arlington County less than a mile from the Pentagon on 9-11.
I learned about Islam on that day. Maybe she can explain the muslims celebrating in Dearborn Michigan when the WTC towers collasped or the beheading video of Mr Pearl.
Well, that's stupid. That's the equivillent of saying that all I need to know about the US military is that the US soliders are the same as Staff Sergeant Robert Bales. Or that all I need to know about Christianity is from the Westboro Baptist Church.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
If your religion is intolerant,don't expect me to be tolerant of your religion.
To some extent, all religions are intolerant, even human secularism is intolerant of religion.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

We live in a country that guarantees freedom of religion. As long as you are a law-abiding citizen and cause no harm, you can practice whatever religion you want. But don't expect everyone to rally around and celebrate your religion with you.

It amazes me how vocal immigrants are from other countries who do NOT promote or allow freedom of religion, and try to impress us with their religious beliefs. Imagine what would happen to Christians or Jews in those countries -- now how good do you feel about your religion? Acceptance is not reciprocated.

On another note: legal immigration is also celebrated in this country. But once you are here, act like Americans and be proud to be HERE or go home.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Highland wrote:
Maybe Professor Akhtar needs to go see Zero Dark Thirty while she in here in the states.
Muslims cannot be terrorists??? Transparent academic nonsense.
You miss what She's saying. She is stating that by becoming terrorists they are not adhearing to Islam and have denounced their faith. It's the equivillent to those that were saying that Anders Breivik could not possibly be Christian.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Disillusioned wrote:
We live in a country that guarantees freedom of religion. As long as you are a law-abiding citizen and cause no harm, you can practice whatever religion you want. But don't expect everyone to rally around and celebrate your religion with you.
It amazes me how vocal immigrants are from other countries who do NOT promote or allow freedom of religion, and try to impress us with their religious beliefs. Imagine what would happen to Christians or Jews in those countries -- now how good do you feel about your religion? Acceptance is not reciprocated.
On another note: legal immigration is also celebrated in this country. But once you are here, act like Americans and be proud to be HERE or go home.
good post, agree
Liberalace

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

And after her presentation, they all retreated to H**ters for lunch.

R.I.P.: Hank Greenberg
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

So what about those who don't become terrorist, but disfigure, abuse and murder women who dare stand up for themselves because the local Imanm told them that is what's required? Are they still Muslims?

Or what about the treatment of those who decide to leave the Islamic faith?
"The majority of Muslim scholars hold to the traditional view that apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment until repentance, at least for adult men of sound mind."
Should those scholars really be considered Muslim?

Yep, that's the peaceful, loving religion of Islam.
Judy

Rocky Mount, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Dude wrote:
<quoted text>You miss what She's saying. She is stating that by becoming terrorists they are not adhearing to Islam and have denounced their faith. It's the equivillent to those that were saying that Anders Breivik could not possibly be Christian.
Sorry dude, if she says Islam is peaceful, she is not following the tennants of Islam. On the other hand it is okay for them to lie and be deceitful. Read the Koran and see how peaceful it is. Read some of the history of may I suggest, "Tea for Terrorists." I am a christian and when Jesus was being tortured and had to carry the cross, did not preach hate of His persecutors, He was doing what God had sent Him to do, being a light unto salvation. Don't see that happening in Islam.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Virginia Government Discussions

Search the Virginia Government Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Redskins Hire Liberal Blogger to Fight Name-Cha... Jun 29 indian welfares 1
High stakes in southwest senate election Jun 29 Hes a walking coronary 3
Va. House Republicans fire opening salvo in Med... Jun 26 Billy Ringo 7
'War on Women' draws return fire targeting men'... (Mar '12) Jun 24 Hugo 58
Red or blue, Virginia still the "little blue pi... (Mar '10) Jun 23 Ronnie 18
Virginia is for Lovers* (Apr '10) Jun 23 Jose 18
Survey: Va. youth smoking rates decline Jun 19 Dr Basim Elhabashy 2
•••
•••