Three couples file challenge to Utah's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the Mar 25, 2013, www.sltrib.com story titled Three couples file challenge to Utah's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.sltrib.com reports that:

On the eve of a historic debate in the U.S. Supreme Court over gay marriage, three couples in Utah filed a lawsuit asking a federal judge to declare unconstitutional any law in the predominately Mormon state barring same-sex marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sltrib.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Mar 25, 2013
Mormons aren't Christians and no Christian denomination that I'm aware of, Prtotestant, Roman catholic, Orthodox, nor other, recognizes them as Christians.

And until very recently, Mormons themselves said that they weren't Christians.

So I don't think that anyone shouldnlisten to anything they have to say about anyting. ESPECIALLY with them trying to impose their own NON-Christian beliefs on others.

There are many resurces on the web and elsewhere to support the view that Mormons are not Christians. Below is a link to one of them.

http://carm.org/is-mormonism-christian

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4 Mar 25, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Mormons aren't Christians and no Christian denomination that I'm aware of, Prtotestant, Roman catholic, Orthodox, nor other, recognizes them as Christians.
So I don't think that anyone shouldnlisten to anything they have to say about anyting. ESPECIALLY with them trying to impose their own NON-Christian beliefs on others.
There are many resurces on the web and elsewhere to support the view that Mormons are not Christians. Below is a link to one of them.
No true Scotsman fallacy again, why can't religious nuts avoid that fallacy?

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#5 Mar 25, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Atheists DO recognize them as christians. We don't split hairs. If it quacks like a duck -- it's a duck!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Mar 26, 2013
Good!

We need to start clogging the state & federal courts with marriage equality cases until they finally cave.
now what

Evansville, IN

#7 Mar 26, 2013
weird

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Mar 26, 2013
Good on ya, youngsters!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Mar 26, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists DO recognize them as christians. We don't split hairs. If it quacks like a duck -- it's a duck!
Christians, Jews, and Muslims ALL worship the SAME God, whose name is Yahweh or Allah, who is the ONLY God, and is DEFINED AS "The Creator Of All Things". These three religiosn are ALL monotheistic.

The CENTRAL REASON is that Mormons are NOT Christians is that they do NOT believe that Yahweh is the ONLY God. The Mormons are NOT monotheistic as ALL Christians are. You CANNOT be a Christian AND polytheistic. The two beliefs are mutually exclusive. There are other beliefs that Mormons have that excludes them form being Christians, but their belief in polytheism, unlike ALL Christians, Jews, and Muslims is the CENTRAL REASON that they are NOT Christians and are not recognized as such by any Christian denomination, be it Protestant, Orthodox, Roman Catholic, or other. They just aren't. They are a weird NON-Christian cult.

Location hidden

#10 Mar 26, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians, Jews, and Muslims ALL worship the SAME God, whose name is Yahweh or Allah, who is the ONLY God, and is DEFINED AS "The Creator Of All Things". These three religiosn are ALL monotheistic.
The CENTRAL REASON is that Mormons are NOT Christians is that they do NOT believe that Yahweh is the ONLY God. The Mormons are NOT monotheistic as ALL Christians are. You CANNOT be a Christian AND polytheistic. The two beliefs are mutually exclusive. There are other beliefs that Mormons have that excludes them form being Christians, but their belief in polytheism, unlike ALL Christians, Jews, and Muslims is the CENTRAL REASON that they are NOT Christians and are not recognized as such by any Christian denomination, be it Protestant, Orthodox, Roman Catholic, or other. They just aren't. They are a weird NON-Christian cult.
Inaccurate.

Two of them are monotheist. One is tritheist.

The issue regarding the identities of the deities is disputable.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Mar 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Inaccurate.
Two of them are monotheist. One is tritheist.
The issue regarding the identities of the deities is disputable.
Christianity is NOT tritheist, it IS monotheistic. Ask ANY ordained Christian, or anyone schoole din Christianity.

While one may disagree if one should call God "Yahweh" or "Allah" this is a cultural matter. It IS indispuatable that ALL three major religios DEFINE God as "The Creator Of All Things. You cannot dispute that with and have any credibility.

How do I know that's true ? Because it came straight from God to my gay pastor's brain thru his mouth to my ears into my fingers onto my keyboard and there it is on YOUR screen so I KNOW it's true !

:)
Niles

Absecon, NJ

#12 Mar 26, 2013
Way to go Utah!!!

Sausalito, CA

#13 Mar 26, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is NOT tritheist, it IS monotheistic. Ask ANY ordained Christian, or anyone schoole din Christianity.
While one may disagree if one should call God "Yahweh" or "Allah" this is a cultural matter. It IS indispuatable that ALL three major religios DEFINE God as "The Creator Of All Things. You cannot dispute that with and have any credibility.
How do I know that's true ? Because it came straight from God to my gay pastor's brain thru his mouth to my ears into my fingers onto my keyboard and there it is on YOUR screen so I KNOW it's true !
As much as you would like to portray it as a clearcut case of monotheism vs. polytheism, the christian religion is extremely convoluted, and you are masters at twisting your beliefs to suit your particular interpretation.

Example: Quoting from the christian Bible at 1 John 5:7 (KJV): "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

Further, from John 1:1: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

This "Word' is generally held by christians to refer to Jesus Christ -- true or not true? And this Jesus is quoted in John 14:28 as saying: "I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

So now you are going to tie yourself into all kinds of acrobatic knots to explain to us that there are not really 3 distinct entities (even though your Bible says there ARE!), but that they are really one (even though your christian Bible says there is a hierarchy among them). And then you are going to try to explain to us that the second one of the three is not really a god (even though your Bible specifically states that he WAS God).

Now, you tell met who is the real christian, the one who believes that the Yahweh you refer to is a God AND Jesus Christ is a God, or the christian who believes that only Yahweh is God and Jesus some lesser being such as his son, or the christian who believes ... well, who doesn't really know WHAT to believe but leaves it to the christian theologians to fight it out, as long as he gets to pick on the gays or other christians whose beliefs are somehow erroneous becuase they did not twist all those contradictory little Biblical passages exactly the same way you did?!

You know what? You guys are full of sh|t! You are NO different from the Mormons or Catholics or Evangelicals -- all mostly hypocrites whose only purpose in life is to impress the rest of humanity with how righteous you are! You all make me sick. The only good christian on this earth is a silent christian -- which you aren't. You have pretended to be a whole series of things on this forum while secretly engaging in shameful behavior which has been exposed a number of times. No-one knows who the true you are because you go to great lengths to cover up your misdeeds, while having the nerve to accuse others of being pure evil. Just another typical christian heard from ... ad nauseum.

Location hidden

#14 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the Alexandrian/Cappadocian heresy.

Take it up with, say, Michael Servetus.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong in so many ways, it's funny actually. I am now laughing at you.

Sausalito, CA

#16 Mar 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the Alexandrian/Cappadocian heresy.
Take it up with, say, Michael Servetus.
Good point. Michael Servetus, who was burned at the stake by the Calvinists for rejecting the Trinity doctrine.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#17 Mar 27, 2013
I'm not a Calvinist. He believed in the Theory Of Predestination. And believing in predestination is incompatible with believing in one's free will.

As a devout Lutheran, I believe in the teachings of Martin Luther who famously would end each of his sernons with: "More Bier ! Katie ! More Bier !:)"

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#18 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I'm not a Calvinist. He believed in the Theory Of Predestination. And believing in predestination is incompatible with believing in one's free will.
As a devout Lutheran, I believe in the teachings of Martin Luther who famously would end each of his sernons with: "More Bier ! Katie ! More Bier !:)"
So you don't think your god is omniscient.

Sausalito, CA

#19 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
You're still a christian -- a loud, drunk one, evidently.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't think your god is omniscient.
I believe that God, Yahweh, is "The Creator Of All Things" and that He gave his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who IS the Messiah, and that whosoever believes in Him, and is baptized, SHALL BE SAVED and have everlasting life with Him in Heaven. And that whosoever chooses NOT to believe in Him, shall be damned to Hell forever. That is my personal belief that I TRULY believe in.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#21 Mar 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that God, Yahweh, is "The Creator Of All Things" and that He gave his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who IS the Messiah, and that whosoever believes in Him, and is baptized, SHALL BE SAVED and have everlasting life with Him in Heaven. And that whosoever chooses NOT to believe in Him, shall be damned to Hell forever. That is my personal belief that I TRULY believe in.
Okay, so you're just believing "just in case."

However you failed to address my previous assertion, but hey, if your god isn't omniscient then ... what's the point of doing any of it?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#22 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're just believing "just in case."
However you failed to address my previous assertion, but hey, if your god isn't omniscient then ... what's the point of doing any of it?
Yes. Yahweh is omniscient.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr NoMo 2,769
News GOP field very light on foreign policy experience Apr 14 Synque 30
News Vietnam vet surprised over reason for license-p... Apr 13 Abrahammock Relig... 34
News GOP field heavy on hawks, light on experience Apr 11 Le Duped 1
News Is being a Romney enough to win an election in ... Apr 10 Sterkfontein Swar... 6
News Obama holding off on Utah land grab Apr 8 barefoot2626 5
News St. George billboard aims to promote LGBT equality (Aug '11) Apr 7 136abc 16
More from around the web