Editorial: Illegal immigration

Editorial: Illegal immigration

There are 40 comments on the Salt Lake Tribune story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Editorial: Illegal immigration. In it, Salt Lake Tribune reports that:

It turns out that dragooning local police officers into the business of checking everyone's citizenship when they are stopped for something else could cost local governments in Utah a lot of money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salt Lake Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pffft

Seattle, WA

#1 Feb 10, 2011
send the bill to mexico
MarinLocal

Novato, CA

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Utah, compare that cost to the Billions of dollars California pays for social services for Illegal Aliens. Not to mention, depressed wages, high unemployment for it's citizens, and higher crime rates where gangs have increasingly taken over the drug trade.
Speeders Kill Kids

United States

#3 Feb 11, 2011
Utah doesn't want to become a bankrupt sanctuary state like CA.
wibauxwoman

AOL

#4 Feb 12, 2011
Several of the special interest groups in Utah (including the LDS and Catholic churches) claim it would cost the state millions to enforce Mr. Sandstrom's bill. I would love to call their bluff. It stands to reason that if all unemployed Utahns who want to work have a job and are paying taxes, and all illegal aliens who are now working but using someone else's SSN or are paid under the table so are not paying taxes. were gone, it would be a winning situation for the state. It might cost a little at first, but in the long run, what a benefit it would be. The cost to the state taxpayers for supporting the illegal aliens far outways any supposed benefits they provide to the
economy. Food stamps are non-taxable. Two or three families in a single family home doesn't create much income. Health care costs for the illegals are passed on to legal citizens in increased costs to them. Obviously, someone thinks the legal, taxpaying citizens of Utah are gullible and stupid.
Betteryet

Heber City, UT

#5 Feb 16, 2011
"Obviously, someone thinks the legal, taxpaying citizens of Utah are gullible and stupid. "

Well, I am certain that some are.
wibauxwoman

Layton, UT

#6 Feb 16, 2011
Betteryet wrote:
"Obviously, someone thinks the legal, taxpaying citizens of Utah are gullible and stupid. "
Well, I am certain that some are.
Not stupid enough to swollow the bull crap you're trying to dish out. I repeat. The only people who support illegal aliens are: illegal aliens, someone who is married to one or otherwise related to one, or someone who hires them. WHICH ARE YOU?
Desert Rat

Silver Springs, NV

#7 Feb 16, 2011
wibauxwoman wrote:
<quoted text>Not stupid enough to swollow the bull crap you're trying to dish out. I repeat. The only people who support illegal aliens are: illegal aliens, someone who is married to one or otherwise related to one, or someone who hires them. WHICH ARE YOU?
You left out a group -- those who profit from the illegals. Those who depend up them as a source of cheap labor, women, or drugs.
Betteryet

Heber City, UT

#8 Feb 16, 2011
wibauxwoman wrote:
<quoted text>Not stupid enough to swollow the bull crap you're trying to dish out. I repeat. The only people who support illegal aliens are: illegal aliens, someone who is married to one or otherwise related to one, or someone who hires them. WHICH ARE YOU?
I repeat back, none of the above.
You are incorrect regarding the motivations of those who see human beings as human beings. Maybe you are a little too emotional about this subject to understand simple statements which do not conform to your prejudices.
Do you find yourself obsessed about the paperwork of any other groups of people ?
Desert Rat

Silver Springs, NV

#9 Feb 16, 2011
Betteryet wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect regarding the motivations of those who see human beings as human beings. Maybe you are a little too emotional about this subject to understand simple statements which do not conform to your prejudices.
Do you find yourself obsessed about the paperwork of any other groups of people ?
And how do YOU profit by your support of these foreign criminal parasites? Are they your source of cheap labor? Women? Or are they your drug pipeline?
Aleksandra

Hanover, PA

#10 Feb 16, 2011
wibauxwoman wrote:
I don't qualify as any of the above.
No human is illegal.
Maybe if we spent a little less money on unnecessary affairs, we'd have money to help families make a better life for themselves.
Do you know what goes on in Mexico?
If such things were going on here, you bet your ass I'd high tail it to another country, legal or not, to avoid rape, torture, decapitation, my children being kidnapped, etc.
Sorry if this sounds too liberal, but I regard humans as humans, not numbers.
Betteryet

Heber City, UT

#11 Feb 16, 2011
Aleksandra wrote:
<quoted text>
No human is illegal.
Maybe if we spent a little less money on unnecessary affairs, we'd have money to help families make a better life for themselves.
If such things were going on here, you bet your ass I'd high tail it to another country, legal or not, to avoid rape, torture, decapitation, my children being kidnapped, etc.
Cheers Aleksandra !
I think you would have a lot of company, if things got that bad here. All these angry people would be chastising themselves for their unkind comments, as they snuck across the border to try to find a better life for themselves and their families.
I wonder how many folks understand how US economic policy has affected the lives of ordinary Mexicans, and helped to drive the desperation that causes men,women,and even children to abandon their homes, land, and family, in search of opportunity. People who are curious should reseach NAFTA and Immigration. People who are not curious should ask themselves that wonderful question from The Bible, "who is your neighbor?".

“Keeping It Real”

Since: Sep 10

Whittier, California

#12 Feb 16, 2011
Ah geeez, people just haveta' throw religion in the mix.

What would Jesus Do?

I'm not sure, but I'll tell you what he wouldn't do; steal taxpayers money, lie to get false documents, cheat the system, drive drunk and drop anchors everywhere he went while expecting every Mark, Luke & John to foot the bill for his indescretions. God helps those that help themselves, right?

It's time to make life miserable for illegals. Period.
Klaus

Richmond Hill, Canada

#13 Feb 16, 2011
Aleksandra wrote:
<quoted text>
No human is illegal.
Are you trying to say that beaners are human, for serious?????????
true

United States

#14 Feb 16, 2011
Aleksandra wrote:
<quoted text>
No human is illegal.
pLEASE WHY DONT YOU GO AND CROSS THE BORDER INTO MEXICO AND SEE WHAT THEY DO TO YOU AND YOURS

Illegals are not humans they are criminal scum and need to be irraticated just like liberal idiots like you who wnat to support and love on them. I bet you might just be one of those fat uglys no one but a smelly illegal would want
Betteryet

Heber City, UT

#15 Feb 16, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
pLEASE WHY DONT YOU GO AND CROSS THE BORDER INTO MEXICO AND SEE WHAT THEY DO TO YOU AND YOURS
Illegals are not humans they are criminal scum and need to be irraticated just like liberal idiots like you who wnat to support and love on them. I bet you might just be one of those fat uglys no one but a smelly illegal would want
Here is a concerned citizen advocating genocide PLUS the mass execution of people with political views that are different from his own.
Do you people have to wonder why folks think guys like this are racists, and worse? Is this lunatic representative of the whole angry crowd that has such a problem acknowledging human beings as human beings ? I sure hope he is just another in a series of "isolated psychopaths", rather than a representative of a group. How many of those who hate the undocumented agree with these maniacal statements? Don't they make you feel ashamed ?
Betteryet

Heber City, UT

#16 Feb 16, 2011
MrPragmatic wrote:
Ah geeez, people just haveta' throw religion in the mix.
What would Jesus Do?
I'm not sure, but I'll tell you what he wouldn't do; steal taxpayers money, lie to get false documents, cheat the system, drive drunk and drop anchors everywhere he went while expecting every Mark, Luke & John to foot the bill for his indescretions. God helps those that help themselves, right?
It's time to make life miserable for illegals. Period.
wrong
so,so sadly wrong
American Eagle

Moreno Valley, CA

#17 Feb 16, 2011
Betteryet wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers Aleksandra !
I think you would have a lot of company, if things got that bad here. All these angry people would be chastising themselves for their unkind comments, as they snuck across the border to try to find a better life for themselves and their families.
I wonder how many folks understand how US economic policy has affected the lives of ordinary Mexicans, and helped to drive the desperation that causes men,women,and even children to abandon their homes, land, and family, in search of opportunity. People who are curious should reseach NAFTA and Immigration. People who are not curious should ask themselves that wonderful question from The Bible, "who is your neighbor?".
You fail to mention the opportunity is at the costs of American taxpayers. what about the American people who are going without just so your illegal aliens can collect welfare, etc.?
wibauxwoman

Layton, UT

#18 Feb 16, 2011
Betteryet wrote:
<quoted text>
Our country has been invaded by illegal immigrants from south of the border. An act of war in any other country. I contend with them everyday. They have no respect for our country, laws, flag, culture or language. Their children think Spanish should be the language spoken in our schools. Most of the people caught shoplifting in the business where I work are Hispanic. They get the majority of their groceries from the food pantry and food stamps (on which no taxes are paid), and use the cash side to buy their beer and cigarettes. Most wear expensive gold jewelry (even the small children and babies), tattoos and acrylic finger nails. Most drive better cars than legal citizens. They have taken jobs from people in construction, manufacturing, auto repaid and maintenance. This is not diversity. It's takeover. I, for one, am determined to see that it doesn't happen. I'm tired of supporting them. Also, you seem to be fond of calling people who oppose illegal aliens "racists". I consider us patriots.
true

United States

#19 Feb 16, 2011
wibauxwoman wrote:
<quoted text>Our country has been invaded by illegal immigrants from south of the border. An act of war in any other country. I contend with them everyday. They have no respect for our country, laws, flag, culture or language. Their children think Spanish should be the language spoken in our schools. Most of the people caught shoplifting in the business where I work are Hispanic. They get the majority of their groceries from the food pantry and food stamps (on which no taxes are paid), and use the cash side to buy their beer and cigarettes. Most wear expensive gold jewelry (even the small children and babies), tattoos and acrylic finger nails. Most drive better cars than legal citizens. They have taken jobs from people in construction, manufacturing, auto repaid and maintenance. This is not diversity. It's takeover. I, for one, am determined to see that it doesn't happen. I'm tired of supporting them. Also, you seem to be fond of calling people who oppose illegal aliens "racists". I consider us patriots.
Thank you im just mean about these scum that we should bend over and kiss there rears, we have murders drunk drivers (illegals) killing people wal marts being built by out of state construction companys that use there illegals to build while our own in the nieghbors are without work. Im tired of this crap

“Keeping It Real”

Since: Sep 10

Whittier, California

#20 Feb 17, 2011
My wife told me an illegal lady with no insurance dropped triplets in the hospital she works at recently. To a wetback, that's like walking up to a slot machine, pulling the lever and watching as 7-7-7 rolls up. Looks like she has it made for the next 18 years at the expense of the American taxpayers. And I'm supposed to tolerate this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Romney announces US Senate run Fri anonymous 1
News Utah bill would ban abortions based on Down syn... Feb 3 Choicerocks 4
News Utah newspaper calls on Orrin Hatch to step down Jan '18 Chilli J 14
News APNewsBreak: Utaha s anesthesia abortion law un... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Hostis Publicus 2
News Poll: Utahns support Trump plan to deport law-b... (Dec '16) Jan '17 HEY HEY HO HO ALL... 11
News Obama Declares Bears Ears National Monument Whi... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Le Jimbo 4
News Poll: Utahns support deporting undocumented imm... (Dec '16) Dec '16 spytheweb 3
More from around the web