Food-stamp program use increasing in ...

Food-stamp program use increasing in Utah

There are 41 comments on the Deseret News story from Apr 15, 2011, titled Food-stamp program use increasing in Utah. In it, Deseret News reports that:

Kimberley Burke pauses at the door of the emergency food pantry, taking a deep breath before she timidly steps inside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Deseret News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Blow

Ogden, UT

#1 Apr 15, 2011
Welcome to the "real" world.

So much for sustainable living and doing so within your means.

What a bunch of rubbish the church imposes upon it's members.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#2 Apr 15, 2011
Blow wrote:
Welcome to the "real" world.
So much for sustainable living and doing so within your means.
What a bunch of rubbish the church imposes upon it's members.
The law of the land, state and federal forbid killing. People don't listen and do as they want. So what's your point?
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 15, 2011
If the Mos have such a great church welfare program how come so many of them are on the federal dole? Just wondering...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#4 Apr 17, 2011
Haw Haw wrote:
If the Mos have such a great church welfare program how come so many of them are on the federal dole? Just wondering...
The answer is quite easy. Americans without honor who don't need assistance from state and federal programs, they seek out that assistance anyway to dishonorably supplement their income for food and or cash.
Well there are Mormons without honor who do the same exact thing. But in this present economy when gas is $4. a gallon, food is priced high and content is less and wages haven't increased, it's a bit tough to be judge mental and correct at the same time of others needs.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 17, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer is quite easy. Americans without honor who don't need assistance from state and federal programs, they seek out that assistance anyway to dishonorably supplement their income for food and or cash.
Well there are Mormons without honor who do the same exact thing. But in this present economy when gas is $4. a gallon, food is priced high and content is less and wages haven't increased, it's a bit tough to be judge mental and correct at the same time of others needs.
Well, if they're duly taxed on the welfare they get from the church and from the government I have no problem with it.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 17, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
My real guess as to what's going on though is that the church is being evermore stingy with its welfare cache... I remember what was said in conference a couple of years ago - for people to keep paying their tithing and only seek church assistance as a very last resort... like shaming people into it. With that I'd probably go to the government too.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#7 Apr 17, 2011
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if they're duly taxed on the welfare they get from the church and from the government I have no problem with it.
You realize this just isn't just a 'religions aren't taxed' problem?
Consider all who pay state and or federal taxes. Now consider all those who pay taxes and get a tax refund that is greater then what they paid to Uncle Sam.
If religions were taxable, like the LDS church, they would become a multi-billion dollar corporation. They would lose their status as a religion and would come to be known as a corporation instead. That new status would give them more political clout then they would know what to do with. Consider the political clout the Catholic church has in America. Now think of it as a multi-billion dollar corporation and the un-restrained political clout it would have.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#8 Apr 17, 2011
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
My real guess as to what's going on though is that the church is being evermore stingy with its welfare cache... I remember what was said in conference a couple of years ago - for people to keep paying their tithing and only seek church assistance as a very last resort... like shaming people into it. With that I'd probably go to the government too.
Open the financial records of most religions and they'll cringe. The LDS church keeps their pretty open. That church donates tens of millions a year to various causes church related or not. Every year they donate clothes, food, cash and sundry items to victims of natural disasters. That doesn't even include volunteered time by millions each year who help in various causes local, state, national and international.
They are tightening their "welfare belts" I will agree. But it's even getting costlier for them to produce what they do for their church members.
The church has been teaching the members for the last decade to become more self sufficient, less reliant on assistance of any kind. To stay out of debt. I see nothing wrong with those teachings. I know active and non-Mormons that use their teachings for being self sufficient and do well when they practice those behaviors.
As to paying tithing, call it blessing or not, but I am aware of many many stories of people who paid tithing and when in a financial bind, deciding to pay tithing or a bill, they paid tithing and things seemed always to work out for them. They never went for want of anything, always had the basics or more. Then I look around at my neighbors in houses and apartments, living month to month, putting money away for bar hopping or parties or some luxury item they don't really need and opt to get food from a food bank instead. No, there is something akin to "surprise blessings" when you least expect it when you pay tithing and you're in need of help that's beyond your reach.
kyle

Draper, UT

#9 Apr 18, 2011
I am so fffffking sick OF seeing my tax bill 56% which goes to educate your little birth babyies as long as we have a "birthing" law let us extend it to the Mos
Blow

Ogden, UT

#10 Apr 19, 2011
Read for yourself.

“The strength of the Church welfare program lies in every family following the inspired direction of the Church leaders to be self-sustaining through adequate preparation. God intends for His Saints to so prepare themselves ‘that the church may stand independent above all other creatures beneath the celestial world”(The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 268)

I wonder if a homosexual is a "creature"? How about an unemployed Mormon with 5 kids on state/federal assistance?
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#11 Apr 19, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Open the financial records of most religions and they'll cringe. The LDS church keeps their pretty open. That church donates tens of millions a year to various causes church related or not. Every year they donate clothes, food, cash and sundry items to victims of natural disasters. That doesn't even include volunteered time by millions each year who help in various causes local, state, national and international.
They are tightening their "welfare belts" I will agree. But it's even getting costlier for them to produce what they do for their church members.
The church has been teaching the members for the last decade to become more self sufficient, less reliant on assistance of any kind. To stay out of debt. I see nothing wrong with those teachings. I know active and non-Mormons that use their teachings for being self sufficient and do well when they practice those behaviors.
As to paying tithing, call it blessing or not, but I am aware of many many stories of people who paid tithing and when in a financial bind, deciding to pay tithing or a bill, they paid tithing and things seemed always to work out for them. They never went for want of anything, always had the basics or more. Then I look around at my neighbors in houses and apartments, living month to month, putting money away for bar hopping or parties or some luxury item they don't really need and opt to get food from a food bank instead. No, there is something akin to "surprise blessings" when you least expect it when you pay tithing and you're in need of help that's beyond your reach.
What a load of runny bullshit you've just spewed there.

Even as an atheist I will call out when you lie about churches.

Most churches OTHER than LDS make FULL DISCLOSURE of their finances to their membership. The LDS makes NO SUCH DISCLOSURE to ANYONE - NOT EVEN ITS MEMBERSHIP. Are you that STUPID that you make such a statement???

If the LDS is so open with its finances, show me a full statement of how much it took in from tithing last year, and how every dollar of this money was either spent, given away, or squirreled away in subsidiaries. And don't try and tell me that any member can get this information for the asking, or I'll start quoting Richard Ostling here verbatim.
Blow

Ogden, UT

#13 Apr 19, 2011
Funny. The LDS church REQUIRES its member to disclose their financial information, but it feels it is NOT obliged to return the favor (to its members or otherwise).

I wonder why?

Let’s look at some fun stuff, shall we?

http://lds.org/pa/e-learn/mp/tithingsettlemen...

"During Tithing Settlement, each member of the church is individually interviewed by the bishop or branch president of his or her congregation and asked to declare whether he or she has paid a full tithe to the church, which is defined as ten per cent of the member's income."

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Tithing_Settlement

I see. So the LDS church can quiz its members about their finances, but God forbid the LDS church should disclose the use of said member tithing.

Yeah. Something smells fishy.

Don't worry. Your tithing is being used for such things as gay bashing, liquor laws, private apartments, helicopter rides, security, fine dining, "official" travel and perks for Monson, the "apostles" and the Seventy. You'll get your reward when you get to the C.K. or Kolob.
Blow

Ogden, UT

#14 Apr 19, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The church has been teaching the members for the last decade to become more self sufficient, less reliant on assistance of any kind. To stay out of debt. I see nothing wrong with those teachings. I know active and non-Mormons that use their teachings for being self sufficient and do well when they practice those behaviors. Then I look around at my neighbors in houses and apartments, living month to month, putting money away for bar hopping or parties or some luxury item they don't really need and opt to get food from a food bank instead.
Yeah. Okay. Next you will tell me that Utah is #4 out of 50 states as far as the foreclosure rates go as a result of all the non-members, right?

Utah 4th in foreclosure rate in 1st quarter
Published: Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:34 p.m. MDT

By Jasen Lee, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705370651/...

Better come to Utah before spouting off about how well equipped and adaptable the Mormons are compared to the rest of the world. You should see how the Mo's here is Utah try to out do each other with the materialistic BS. Not to mention screwing each other with MLM schemes (MonaVie, Scentsy, etc.).
Burn Utah Burn

Lindenhurst, NY

#15 Apr 20, 2011
Utah is burning for its' sins.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#16 Apr 20, 2011
Blow wrote:
Funny. The LDS church REQUIRES its member to disclose their financial information, but it feels it is NOT obliged to return the favor (to its members or otherwise).
I wonder why?
Let’s look at some fun stuff, shall we?
http://lds.org/pa/e-learn/mp/tithingsettlemen...
"During Tithing Settlement, each member of the church is individually interviewed by the bishop or branch president of his or her congregation and asked to declare whether he or she has paid a full tithe to the church, which is defined as ten per cent of the member's income."
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Tithing_Settlement
I see. So the LDS church can quiz its members about their finances, but God forbid the LDS church should disclose the use of said member tithing.
Yeah. Something smells fishy.
Don't worry. Your tithing is being used for such things as gay bashing, liquor laws, private apartments, helicopter rides, security, fine dining, "official" travel and perks for Monson, the "apostles" and the Seventy. You'll get your reward when you get to the C.K. or Kolob.
If you were a member of the LDS church, you once again show your lack of observation and participation to know what goes on in a ward. So I'll except the fact you have revealed that you don't know jack of what you think you know about concern LDS.
For your information, of the wards I have been in as a non-member I can tell you the ONLY people who give an account of their tithing to a bishop are the active members and they usually have temple recommends. Many members in a ward are not temple card or active in the "active" sense i.e., holding a position/calling, attending every Sunday, etc. And even those that hold positions don't always hold temple recommends because they drink coffee and or caffine drinks and don't usually pay tithing every month.
Next, the tithing settlement between a bishop and a member is not what you think it is as usual. It is an honor code. You tell the bishop what you make a month and or year, depending on your income and a ten percent is deducted from that amount and that is your tithing amount. And tithing isn't demanded by a bishop of those who are willing to pay it. It is left up to you to pay what you oblige yourself to or to what you can pay.
Listen Bob, when it comes to the LDS, you turn into a negative *ss and speak in extremes and you don't care if you lie or tell the truth or a half truth, some more of your right is wrong and wrong is right thinking.
You need to address this LDS complex you got going, it obviously isn't doing you any good harboring such a self felt injustice :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#17 Apr 20, 2011
Blow wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Okay. Next you will tell me that Utah is #4 out of 50 states as far as the foreclosure rates go as a result of all the non-members, right?
Utah 4th in foreclosure rate in 1st quarter
Published: Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:34 p.m. MDT
By Jasen Lee, Deseret News
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705370651/...
Better come to Utah before spouting off about how well equipped and adaptable the Mormons are compared to the rest of the world. You should see how the Mo's here is Utah try to out do each other with the materialistic BS. Not to mention screwing each other with MLM schemes (MonaVie, Scentsy, etc.).
That was a wasted post. You should read what I write, it would keep you from going all negative about crap I didn't even speak of lol.
I did state which you didn't read and or understand..."I know active and non-Mormons that use their teachings for being self sufficient and do well when they practice those behaviors."
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 21, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen Bob, when it comes to the LDS, you turn into a negative *ss and speak in extremes and you don't care if you lie or tell the truth or a half truth, some more of your right is wrong and wrong is right thinking.
You need to address this LDS complex you got going, it obviously isn't doing you any good harboring such a self felt injustice :)
That's where you got it all wrong, No Prize. I do seek out and speak the truth about the LDS. You may not find it comfortable, but I find info to back up my posts before I respond. You can google the subject of anything I post and you'll find that my posts aren't the only area where the topic is referenced.

And it does me much good to lash out at the LDS on here. I will continue to do so as long as I feel like I'm doing a service to the public - if nothing more than to counter the one-sided whitewash and sales job people like you are putting out on these forums. The LDS hurts people, it's authoritarian, and it lies to investigators. Those investigators in this day and age who do have a head on their shoulders will seek out opposing viewpoints on the internet, and among their results they just may stumble across one or more of these postings. If they do, then I've done the job I intended to do here.

And F*CK YOU if you think you're stupid admonishments to me to go away and don't exercise my right to free speech are going to shut me up. Who gave you the right, the authority, or even the basic knowledge to judge my motivations for posting here? Your judgments are certainly most incorrect - I can tell you that much...
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

#19 Apr 21, 2011
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a member of the LDS church, you once again show your lack of observation and participation to know what goes on in a ward. So I'll except the fact you have revealed that you don't know jack of what you think you know about concern LDS.
For your information, of the wards I have been in as a non-member I can tell you the ONLY people who give an account of their tithing to a bishop are the active members and they usually have temple recommends. Many members in a ward are not temple card or active in the "active" sense i.e., holding a position/calling, attending every Sunday, etc. And even those that hold positions don't always hold temple recommends because they drink coffee and or caffine drinks and don't usually pay tithing every month.
Next, the tithing settlement between a bishop and a member is not what you think it is as usual. It is an honor code. You tell the bishop what you make a month and or year, depending on your income and a ten percent is deducted from that amount and that is your tithing amount. And tithing isn't demanded by a bishop of those who are willing to pay it. It is left up to you to pay what you oblige yourself to or to what you can pay.
How about again, showing us some evidence of your earlier assertions that the LDS is open book with regard to its own finances? Where are those detailed financial statements, No Prize????

Or was that just another lie, like all the other tripe you post on here about the church you love that threw you out...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20 Apr 21, 2011
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
That's where you got it all wrong, No Prize. I do seek out and speak the truth about the LDS. You may not find it comfortable, but I find info to back up my posts before I respond. You can google the subject of anything I post and you'll find that my posts aren't the only area where the topic is referenced.
And it does me much good to lash out at the LDS on here. I will continue to do so as long as I feel like I'm doing a service to the public - if nothing more than to counter the one-sided whitewash and sales job people like you are putting out on these forums. The LDS hurts people, it's authoritarian, and it lies to investigators. Those investigators in this day and age who do have a head on their shoulders will seek out opposing viewpoints on the internet, and among their results they just may stumble across one or more of these postings. If they do, then I've done the job I intended to do here.
And F*CK YOU if you think you're stupid admonishments to me to go away and don't exercise my right to free speech are going to shut me up. Who gave you the right, the authority, or even the basic knowledge to judge my motivations for posting here? Your judgments are certainly most incorrect - I can tell you that much...
Boy oh boy did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed ;)

First, I have never admonished you to go away. So saying I have is a lie. I have never said for you not to exercise your right to free speech, another lie of yours.
You stated ..."I do seek out and speak the truth about the LDS."...which is a bold faced lie concerning the following statement you made..."The LDS hurts people, it's authoritarian, and it lies to investigators."
You made that statement implying that it includes "most or all LDS people". Another extreme statement with two lies. The first was that LDS people hurt other people. People are people and they will always hurt other people with purpose or not. But you wish to state that the LDS people corner the market on hurting others like it's part of their doctrine. The second lie was that LDS lie to investigators. That was ANOTHER extreme statement made as a lie by you. And you're the one who said you speak in truth????? Your such a hypocritical liar.
Now what you should of said if you wanted to speak in truth was something to the effect of..."I know LDS people who lie to investigators...(or)...I know LDS people who have purposefully hurt others and didn't care." Now you would be speaking of what you know from experience of a small percentage of LDS people. But when you do your extreme statements, lumping all LDS together, saying they are doing or saying the same exact thing you accuse them of, now your the extreme liar.
And of them being an authoritarian group, I agree. But can you name me a religion that isn't? Can you name me a government that isn't? Can you show me any group of people in any organization that is not ran by authority? Your very parent()s were authority figures. This entire planet for thousands of years with many species has been ran by the process of authority. Humans, wolves, lions, chimps, monkeys, gorillas, etc., etc. Your point of the LDS having an authoritarian government is a ridiculous statement.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#21 Apr 21, 2011
Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
How about again, showing us some evidence of your earlier assertions that the LDS is open book with regard to its own finances? Where are those detailed financial statements, No Prize????
Or was that just another lie, like all the other tripe you post on here about the church you love that threw you out...
First, the internal finances of the LDS church are not able to be viewed.
Second, from the outside looking in, one can easily deduce what this church spends $ on and what they don't.
They don't own liquor corps or companies. They don't own tobacco corps or companies. They don't own porn businesses or companies. They are not in the auto industry. They are not in the utility business. They own no assembly type businesses whereby things(items) are made and produced and sold for a specific profit.
They do own land. They do own farms and ranches. They own educational facilities. They own a publishing company for their specific publishing needs. They own an Industry that supplies most anything for the bishop warehouses all across this world.
Concerning their multi-billion dollar corporation and all those people that have access to hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars to swipe and make their own till their caught, how often do you see financial corruption in this church as you see it in other corporations at large? When was the last time a high Mormon official was criminally charged for taking Mormon $ and paying for whores and trips to exotic destinations and expensive cars and mansions in Beverly Hills? How often do you see the Mormon hierarchy being criminally prosecuted for using Mormon $ for sex, drugs, wild parties, political bribes, etc?
That is the financially open book of this church, the lack of it's leaders being criminally convicted of abusing Mormon $.
Now if you wish to know exactly what they spend their $ on each and every year, you'll have to wait till they begin to reveal that info as they once did long ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Romney announces US Senate run Feb 16 anonymous 1
News Utah bill would ban abortions based on Down syn... Feb 3 Choicerocks 4
News Utah newspaper calls on Orrin Hatch to step down Jan '18 Chilli J 14
News APNewsBreak: Utaha s anesthesia abortion law un... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Hostis Publicus 2
News Poll: Utahns support Trump plan to deport law-b... (Dec '16) Jan '17 HEY HEY HO HO ALL... 11
News Obama Declares Bears Ears National Monument Whi... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Le Jimbo 4
News Poll: Utahns support deporting undocumented imm... (Dec '16) Dec '16 spytheweb 3
More from around the web