Immigration: At what cost to schools?

Immigration: At what cost to schools?

There are 31 comments on the Salt Lake Tribune story from Jan 3, 2011, titled Immigration: At what cost to schools?. In it, Salt Lake Tribune reports that:

Andrea couldn't believe it when her cousin, a U.S. citizen, dropped out of high school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salt Lake Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Woodbridge, VA

#22 Jan 7, 2011
Oh, do you have a copy of the bill? Something like this has been discussed where I am but never made it off the ground. If a bill such as this passes someplace else, it gives ammo for other areas.
Deece_ wrote:
<quoted text>
In February, 2010 Oklahoma legislature’s House Appropriations and Budget Committee passed by a 16-0 vote, legislation that will permit schools to inquire about the status of children attending public schools (last I heard, the bill is still pending House approval). All States should propose similar legislation and begin to accurately track the costs borne by taxpayers. This is critical to challenging the 1982 Supreme Court Ruling, Plyler vs. Doe which mandates that schools cannot inquire about citizenship or legal status. At the time, the ruling inferred that the school in Texas could not prove that educating illegal alien students would place an excessive burden on taxpayers. I think it's clear to just about everyone that with 12+ million illegal aliens residing in the US, the cost of educating their offspring, is indeed an excessive burden. Implementing a law that permits schools to track the legal status of K-12 public school students is crucial to successfully challenging this antiquated supreme court ruling.

Since: Jan 11

Milton, MA

#23 Jan 7, 2011
Biker Mom wrote:
Oh, do you have a copy of the bill? Something like this has been discussed where I am but never made it off the ground. If a bill such as this passes someplace else, it gives ammo for other areas.
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the bill (HB3384). I had been following HB1804 for a while because I was impressed that Oklahoma was taking such a tough stand on illegal immigration (surprisingly it didn't catch near the scrutiny as Arizona's SB1070). Then one day last year I came across an article about the "Quality of Education Assessment for Oklahoma Citizens Act of 2010". HB3384 is a spin off or "companion" legislation to HB1804. Here's a link to the article: http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/6078-randy-t...

Woodbridge, VA

#24 Jan 7, 2011
Deece_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the bill (HB3384). I had been following HB1804 for a while because I was impressed that Oklahoma was taking such a tough stand on illegal immigration (surprisingly it didn't catch near the scrutiny as Arizona's SB1070). Then one day last year I came across an article about the "Quality of Education Assessment for Oklahoma Citizens Act of 2010". HB3384 is a spin off or "companion" legislation to HB1804. Here's a link to the article: http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/6078-randy-t...
As long as I have the #, I can look it up - thank you! Hey, watch it in MA - Maine's new gov has decided to rescind the state's sanctuary policy. Guess where they are going to head? Days like this I am glad I left MA (though I mess New England HORRIOBLY!- just not the politics).

Milton, MA

#25 Jan 7, 2011
Biker Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as I have the #, I can look it up - thank you! Hey, watch it in MA - Maine's new gov has decided to rescind the state's sanctuary policy. Guess where they are going to head? Days like this I am glad I left MA (though I mess New England HORRIOBLY!- just not the politics).
Watch out Cambridge (an official sanctuary city) and....Brockton, Fall River, Lawrence, Framingham etc....

I love New England too but Massachusetts has a horrible history of voting in moonbats.
wibauxwoman

AOL

#26 Jan 7, 2011
Deece_ wrote:
<quoted text>
In February, 2010 Oklahoma legislature’s House Appropriations and Budget Committee passed by a 16-0 vote, legislation that will permit schools to inquire about the status of children attending public schools (last I heard, the bill is still pending House approval). All States should propose similar legislation and begin to accurately track the costs borne by taxpayers. This is critical to challenging the 1982 Supreme Court Ruling, Plyler vs. Doe which mandates that schools cannot inquire about citizenship or legal status. At the time, the ruling inferred that the school in Texas could not prove that educating illegal alien students would place an excessive burden on taxpayers. I think it's clear to just about everyone that with 12+ million illegal aliens residing in the US, the cost of educating their offspring, is indeed an excessive burden. Implementing a law that permits schools to track the legal status of K-12 public school students is crucial to successfully challenging this antiquated supreme court ruling.
I wonder if the Obama administration will sue Oklahoma and allow Mexico to do so also like they did Arizona.

Milton, MA

#27 Jan 7, 2011
wibauxwoman wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder if the Obama administration will sue Oklahoma and allow Mexico to do so also like they did Arizona.
Well, something tells me they better get on it fast because come 2012, Obama's gonna be joining the private sector.

People are fed up with him for a number of reasons - immigration is just the tip of the ice berg.

Woodbridge, VA

#28 Jan 8, 2011
Deece_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch out Cambridge (an official sanctuary city) and....Brockton, Fall River, Lawrence, Framingham etc....
I love New England too but Massachusetts has a horrible history of voting in moonbats.
I worked in Cambridge for years. Do you remember what Dukakis did to the MA College/University system with the consolidations and putting a lot of his cronies in middle management positions before he left as gov? I was at U-Lowell during this time.

My last home was just outside of Lawrence. Much of my family is still in MA so we keep up on politics there - especially since we have elderly parents in MA (my inlaws) and we know in the near future we will have to look at some form of supervised care for them. They got screwed with ever being able to sell their house due to a septic tank law that was never grandfathered for older properties and there was no aid for those who have older systems that are not to the new code (up to $10,000 to make it what the state wants now). They have busted their tails, never took from the state even when things were tough and now they may end up with nothing. Luckily the house is paid off and they can sell it for a lot less that it would be worth to give an allowance for the septic and the work that needs to be done. Yet if you are an X, you get everything handed to you.

The last company I worked for before moving was taking part in a great "get off welfare" program and I was training some of the women in my dept. Only ONE stuck with it - the rest went back to welfare because it was not as much money but they could get more (by having subletters they did not tell the govt about) and would not have to work.

:P

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#29 Jan 8, 2011
taylor shane wrote:
<quoted text>Our country has become corrupt when it comes to voting. Really? You didn't know that?
Example?

Woodbridge, VA

#30 Jan 8, 2011
Cricket - you will probably appreciate this one.

Principal of the local elementary school my son attended, my daughter attends and I sub there, called out a whole demographic for being the reason we missed a NCLB benchmark. And within that demographic, it was a few students over all. Now, this man is a legal immigrant and just awesome.

Recently, all students had a note sent home basically stating for the past two years, Caucasians, Hispanics and other demographics have all met the NCLB requirements. African American/Black students did not. Now, after the county illegal crackdown, we had a demographic change as the housing market tanked and we got a lot of people from the inner city move to the suburbs. They brought a lot of the inner city struggles to the schools. Well, after two years of struggling to reach out to this demographic, this principal just called them to the mat.

He outlined what the schools are doing to offer services from tutors, homework help, Saturday school (with breakfast and a snack provided), you name it AND he has personally contacted the parents by phone and even went to some homes to encourage the parents to take advantage of the services to help their kids excel. Then he said the parents have to start pulling their weight.

I am waiting for the backlash. We got the Hispanic children still in the schools on track as well as all the other immigrant kids. Now we need the last demographic that is not living up to potential to get off their tails and this is basically the undertone of the note.

I know it is off topic but the emotional cost of students who are lower performing is there too. We have an awesome staff now at the school and a zillion resources at hand because we are Title 1 and high LEP. No reason for students who are not learning disabled to succeed here (we are also the school in the area for special needs students who can mainstream to some degree).

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#31 Jan 12, 2011
Biker Mom wrote:
Cricket - you will probably appreciate this one.
Principal of the local elementary school my son attended, my daughter attends and I sub there, called out a whole demographic for being the reason we missed a NCLB benchmark. And within that demographic, it was a few students over all. Now, this man is a legal immigrant and just awesome.
Recently, all students had a note sent home basically stating for the past two years, Caucasians, Hispanics and other demographics have all met the NCLB requirements. African American/Black students did not. Now, after the county illegal crackdown, we had a demographic change as the housing market tanked and we got a lot of people from the inner city move to the suburbs. They brought a lot of the inner city struggles to the schools. Well, after two years of struggling to reach out to this demographic, this principal just called them to the mat.
He outlined what the schools are doing to offer services from tutors, homework help, Saturday school (with breakfast and a snack provided), you name it AND he has personally contacted the parents by phone and even went to some homes to encourage the parents to take advantage of the services to help their kids excel. Then he said the parents have to start pulling their weight.
I am waiting for the backlash. We got the Hispanic children still in the schools on track as well as all the other immigrant kids. Now we need the last demographic that is not living up to potential to get off their tails and this is basically the undertone of the note.
I know it is off topic but the emotional cost of students who are lower performing is there too. We have an awesome staff now at the school and a zillion resources at hand because we are Title 1 and high LEP. No reason for students who are not learning disabled to succeed here (we are also the school in the area for special needs students who can mainstream to some degree).
Thanks.
PSL

Fort Pierce, FL

#32 Jan 12, 2011
Immigration: Over populating a country with 3 worlders. Just what we need. More people to
support. Thanks Congress!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utah Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay rights law signed in Utah (Mar '15) May 4 UTbrother 7
News Utah unemployment rate at 3.5 percent Apr '16 Sneaky Pete 2
News If election were today, both Clinton and Sander... Mar '16 Question 4
News Utah anti-suicide coalition launches site to te... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Elise Gingersnick 1
News Report: Higher smoking, drinking among construc... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sneaky Pete 1
News NEA president: Don't punish teachers with test ... (Oct '14) May '15 Bob 9
News Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of same-... (Dec '14) May '15 goldstone report 4
More from around the web