Burglars: Don't Mess With Texas

Feb 21, 2008 | Posted by: pragmatist | Full story: abcnews.go.com

In Texas, more than ever before, burglars and thieves are on notice. From a quiet street in an upscale neighborhood outside Houston to a junk-strewn yard on the other side of the tracks, some Texans are shooting first and asking questions later.

In the Lone Star state, where the six-gun tamed the frontier, shooting bad guys is a time-honored tradition. But a new state law, based on the old idea that "a man's home is his castle," gives Texans unprecedented legal authority to use deadly force.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2013
gary simonds

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

people have the right to protect their home,family let the bad guys beware!!! if you want to do crimes then this is what is going to happen to you and you can forget about the money grubbing lawyers, MAKE OUR DAY!!!

Since: Dec 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Judged:

It's about time the Texan woke up - Now they need to overturn the convictions of legal American citizens that were convicted of defending their "castles" that occured in the Del Rio judicial district. Their were at least 4 - 5 of these legal citizens that were convicted by a racist district attorney. Guess what his race is ! Those convicted were all white. All were convicted of aggravated assault w/deadly weapon with the exception of one. He was convicted of deadly force (a lessor included offense) He was 70 years old.
This same racist district attorney is still trying to convict one of these white legal citizens for an event that occurred over 8 - EIGHT - years ago. This citizen chose to fight the charges with his last breath. He was convicted at his first trial and appealed. The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals REVERSED the trial court decision and remanded the case for a new trial. The racist district attorney appealed that reversal to the Texas Supreme Court of Criminal Appeals. They refused to overturn the 4th Circuit upholding their decision. The decision of the 4th was written by the Chief Justice and decided on only 3 of the 13 points of appeal. The other points were not entertained at all. No need, they reversed.
With all the attention being given to the Border Patrol agents that were wronfully convicted recently - these citizens have been forgotten and have fell thru the cracks. Especially the guy that is still fighting for his freedom over an event that occured over 8 years ago.
Hopefully this new law that Texas has enacted will be excersized by the legal citizens of this country. It is also hoped that the legal citizens and media will come to the aid of this guy that is still fighting for his freedom.

This crooked, racist district attorney is Fred Hernandez - Del Rio, Texas. Give him some of your attention !

SGD

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

I wish Maryland had similar laws. If a burglar trips and falls and breaks a leg in my house while robbing it, he can sue me. If a burglar cuts himself on a window pane that he's broken in order to enter my home, he can sue me. Maryland has made it impossible to defend yourself in your own homes and limits your ability to own hand guns legally which is horribly silly since most firearms used in crimes here are all illegal weapons.
Whitey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

any law enforcement officer will tell you--if someone enters your home shot to kill him and then put a kitchen knife near him and say that he/she was reaching for it! plain and simple self defense --no one will touch you!

Since: Feb 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Whitey wrote:
any law enforcement officer will tell you--if someone enters your home shot to kill him and then put a kitchen knife near him and say that he/she was reaching for it! plain and simple self defense --no one will touch you!
In Oklahoma, we have the Make My Day Law since 1982. I feel so sorry for you YANKEES. Pennsylvania and all north toward CANADA.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Forgot to mention, the POLICE cannot be everywhere at once.

“Be careful what you wish for.”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

SGD wrote:
I wish Maryland had similar laws. If a burglar trips and falls and breaks a leg in my house while robbing it, he can sue me. If a burglar cuts himself on a window pane that he's broken in order to enter my home, he can sue me. Maryland has made it impossible to defend yourself in your own homes and limits your ability to own hand guns legally which is horribly silly since most firearms used in crimes here are all illegal weapons.
I was born and raised in Baltimore, and I've witnessed first hand, the "unintended consequences" of liberal "leadership". We share the pain.
Bill - of We the People

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not sure about other states, but here in the Commiewealth of Mass. the police have no legal obligation to protect an individual. And that individual is severely restricted in his right to protect himself and his family. If a subject uses his firearm, even to save his own life, he will likely go to jail.
Is this really the same state where the Revolutionary War began? Do people learn nothing at all from History?
The Boston Police Department currently has plainclothes cops knocking on doors asking to search kids' rooms for guns. For now, at least, they're asking permission from the parent (two parents are very rare in some neighborhoods), but how long before they begin kicking in those doors?

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

Bill - of We the People wrote:
I'm not sure about other states, but here in the Commiewealth of Mass. the police have no legal obligation to protect an individual. And that individual is severely restricted in his right to protect himself and his family. If a subject uses his firearm, even to save his own life, he will likely go to jail.
Is this really the same state where the Revolutionary War began? Do people learn nothing at all from History?
The Boston Police Department currently has plainclothes cops knocking on doors asking to search kids' rooms for guns. For now, at least, they're asking permission from the parent (two parents are very rare in some neighborhoods), but how long before they begin kicking in those doors?
WOW, Plainclothes COPS. Ain't that nice!! HAHAHAHA!!! I'm so sorry y'all don't have the 'Make My Day Law'. We've had this law on the books since 1982. To all you YANKEE STATES. Maryland to the north. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho. All YANKEE STATES.
Sftransister

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

TierraChild wrote:
It's about time the Texan woke up - Now they need to overturn the convictions of legal American citizens that were convicted of defending their "castles" that occured in the Del Rio judicial district. Their were at least 4 - 5 of these legal citizens that were convicted by a racist district attorney. Guess what his race is ! Those convicted were all white. All were convicted of aggravated assault w/deadly weapon with the exception of one. He was convicted of deadly force (a lessor included offense) He was 70 years old.
This same racist district attorney is still trying to convict one of these white legal citizens for an event that occurred over 8 - EIGHT - years ago. This citizen chose to fight the charges with his last breath. He was convicted at his first trial and appealed. The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals REVERSED the trial court decision and remanded the case for a new trial. The racist district attorney appealed that reversal to the Texas Supreme Court of Criminal Appeals. They refused to overturn the 4th Circuit upholding their decision. The decision of the 4th was written by the Chief Justice and decided on only 3 of the 13 points of appeal. The other points were not entertained at all. No need, they reversed.
With all the attention being given to the Border Patrol agents that were wronfully convicted recently - these citizens have been forgotten and have fell thru the cracks. Especially the guy that is still fighting for his freedom over an event that occured over 8 years ago.
Hopefully this new law that Texas has enacted will be excersized by the legal citizens of this country. It is also hoped that the legal citizens and media will come to the aid of this guy that is still fighting for his freedom.
This crooked, racist district attorney is Fred Hernandez - Del Rio, Texas. Give him some of your attention !
Tierra - you mention that DA Hernandez is crooked - do you have any particulars to share that substantiate/support this? I would be very interested to hear anything you know or have heard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••