Should welfare recipients have to pay...

Should welfare recipients have to pay the money received back?

Created by MJayM on Jan 22, 2010

68 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes, it's a loan

No, their laziness earned it

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#1 Jan 22, 2010
I've never understood why so many people have no honor.

It is easier to understand why money confiscated from one productive taxpayer, under the threat of incarceration, should be transferred to another, non taxpayer.

I think everyone can agree on a short term safety net. But generational food stamps, free school lunch, medicaid, section 8?

I feel there should be a price to pay for the recipient. There already is a price for the taxpayer, and it's getting worse.
how sad

Copperas Cove, TX

#2 Jan 22, 2010
welfare is supposed to be a temp fix not a long term fix...I was on welfare for six months and it helped but as soon as my husband found a good paying job and i started working we stopped....

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#3 Jan 24, 2010
how sad wrote:
welfare is supposed to be a temp fix not a long term fix...I was on welfare for six months and it helped but as soon as my husband found a good paying job and i started working we stopped....
I agree with you. Those with honor and even a slight modicum of shame have no desire to stay sponging off other taxpayers.

What I can't understand is the liberals, as a group, refusing to acknowledge how damaging long term "help" is to the human condition.

Struggling is how we get stronger and gain wisdom with experience.
JRMaynard3

United States

#4 Jan 24, 2010
Yeah, but when you have a sense of entitlement even though you've done nothing to earn your keep, you tend to believe that it's okay to milk the system. Here in El Paso, that's the norm for the majority south-o-the-border culture.
bottlecap

Saint Petersburg, FL

#5 Jan 24, 2010
Welfare has been a COLOSSAL FAILURE as it has not reduced, but rather increased poverty.

The system cannot be reformed as it is fundamentally flawed and must be terminated AND those politicians who support it must be identified and defeated in the coming elections.

Now should they, the welfare recipients pay back the money they owe society? I would think that if they are poor, then no----give them a chance to go out and be a productive member of society.

If welfare recipients are financially well off then they should pay back the money, even if thet have to sell their homes or cars or get more than one job.
bottlecap

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6 Jan 24, 2010
By the way, what screwed up Texas was the Plyor vs. Doe Supreme Court case where 5 activist judges made a decision to give illegals state aid, totally circumventing the Congress of the United States which is the elected voice of the people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#7 Jan 25, 2010
bottlecap wrote:
By the way, what screwed up Texas was the Plyor vs. Doe Supreme Court case where 5 activist judges made a decision to give illegals state aid, totally circumventing the Congress of the United States which is the elected voice of the people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe
I really agree with you.

I have had discussions with some of my renters, some of which collect food stamps (as I stay silent and polite but disgusted), tell me that they can't work too much or they will lose their 'benefits.'

Makes me want to slap 'em and hand them a broom.
TLM

United States

#8 Jun 4, 2011
No, they should not have to pay it back unless they were fraudulent. But no, they should not have to pay it back. We are talking about the poorest sector of our society. Even if they do get jobs, most of them are still going to be living at the proverty line. You can work a min. wage job and still live below the poverty line. Who can survive on 8.00 an hr.? So why attack the poorest of our nation? This money is to give them a helping hand. Our gov. shouldn't be concerned with squeezing money back from our poorest sector but instead monitor it's wasteful spending on officials, limos, banquets etc. The gov. could easily make up the funds IF IT JUST TAXED the rich. GE paid no income tax last year. Don't hit the poor. Poverty is not easy to climb out of. Many of the rich have had great advantages in life that allowed them to be rich. Yes, many rich work hard to be rich but also many poor work just as hard or harder and are STILL poor. I say only go after those who can afford to give it up.
Finepix

Pflugerville, TX

#9 Jun 4, 2011
I for one would like to start seeing some people starving and dying in the streets.
half3moon2003

AOL

#10 Jun 4, 2011
The only ones collecting welfare are illegal aliens. The reason they do, is because they have no shame. I recently went to the dentist and the waiting room was full of people on Chip. I probablly was the only one that was paying with cash. The grandmas'looked like they were from across the border. The reason I say this is because of the way they dress. You can tell a wetback by the way they dress. The proof is in the taste of the pudding. So you see its the illegals that are milking the hard-working taxpayer.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#11 Jun 4, 2011
TLM wrote:
No, they should not have to pay it back unless they were fraudulent. But no, they should not have to pay it back. We are talking about the poorest sector of our society. Even if they do get jobs, most of them are still going to be living at the proverty line. You can work a min. wage job and still live below the poverty line. Who can survive on 8.00 an hr.? So why attack the poorest of our nation? This money is to give them a helping hand. Our gov. shouldn't be concerned with squeezing money back from our poorest sector but instead monitor it's wasteful spending on officials, limos, banquets etc. The gov. could easily make up the funds IF IT JUST TAXED the rich. GE paid no income tax last year. Don't hit the poor. Poverty is not easy to climb out of. Many of the rich have had great advantages in life that allowed them to be rich. Yes, many rich work hard to be rich but also many poor work just as hard or harder and are STILL poor. I say only go after those who can afford to give it up.
The percentage of millionaires in the United States that inherited their wealth: Less than 3%

Average income of a millionaire: 127 k.

Most popular vehicle: Ford F-150

Quit your whining and class envy.

Staying poor in this country is like starving to death in a grocery store. It's a choice.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#12 Jun 4, 2011
half3moon2003 wrote:
The only ones collecting welfare are illegal aliens. The reason they do, is because they have no shame. I recently went to the dentist and the waiting room was full of people on Chip. I probablly was the only one that was paying with cash. The grandmas'looked like they were from across the border. The reason I say this is because of the way they dress. You can tell a wetback by the way they dress. The proof is in the taste of the pudding. So you see its the illegals that are milking the hard-working taxpayer.
They're not the only ones. Your racism makes you look like an idiot, your first sentence drives people away from finding you credible.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#13 Jun 4, 2011
half3moon2003 wrote:
The only ones collecting welfare are illegal aliens. The reason they do, is because they have no shame. I recently went to the dentist and the waiting room was full of people on Chip. I probablly was the only one that was paying with cash. The grandmas'looked like they were from across the border. The reason I say this is because of the way they dress. You can tell a wetback by the way they dress. The proof is in the taste of the pudding. So you see its the illegals that are milking the hard-working taxpayer.
I'll slightly modify what I said to you: It's irritating to hear Spanish only in a waiting room. In America, with a constitution written in English, that's out of bounds for sure. But for your point of "only" illegal aliens collect welfare, it's a provably wrong claim.
Juarez High

Fayetteville, NC

#14 Jun 4, 2011
Well the Mexicans would go home
and the blacks would go to Africa
Mrbluesays

Drexel Hill, PA

#15 Jan 14, 2013
What are the father rights? The mother did not tell the father of a child about the child, 16 years later the mother filed for child support and has collected welfare. The child and the father have never seen each other. The father had NO knowledge. How is welfare handled in this situation? I'm told in pennsylvania the mother can only go to back support only to when she filed with the courts for child support, how does that work with welfare? Also the mother knew where the father lived and worked. The father is now retired and rated 100% disabled veteran.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 60,175
News Corpses of Dead Migrants Plague Rural Texas Cou... 10 hr Nopal 47
News Former Gov. Dolph Briscoe Dies (Jun '10) 15 hr rstinpce 39
News How Ruth Bader Ginsburg just won the next abort... 18 hr Uber-Bro of the U... 2
News Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clini... Wed Retired SOF 38
News Michael Barone: Neither candidate is getting th... Tue tomin cali 1
News The Latest: Wendy Davis calls abortion ruling g... Jun 28 WelbyMD 3
More from around the web