Does God Exist?
rock

Saint Charles, MO

#1 Apr 7, 2007



This is one of the best explanations of why God allows pain and suffering that I have seen. It's an explanation other people will understand.

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said: "I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer.

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving a God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and un-kept.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber. "I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside."

"Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist!
What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.
That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

Since: Apr 07

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Apr 7, 2007
Have you heard that God is a girl?Do you also believe that?

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#3 Apr 7, 2007
Hackii wrote:
Have you heard that God is a girl?Do you also believe that?
God created MAN in His own image. Later, God created WOMAN from Adam's rib. So, no, God is not a girl.
Believe

Warren, NJ

#4 Apr 13, 2007
rock wrote:
This is one of the best explanations of why God allows pain and suffering that I have seen. It's an explanation other people will understand.
A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.
When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said: "I don't believe that God exists."
"Why do you say that?" asked the customer.
"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving a God who would allow all of these things."
The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and un-kept.
The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist."
"How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber. "I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"
"No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside."
"Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."
"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist!
What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.
That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."
What a wonderful story.
Joe

Union, KY

#5 Apr 17, 2007
So a person who goes to God gets pain and suffering removed, just like a person who goes to the barber gets a haircut, right? Only pain-free, happy people in church.
Kurt

United States

#7 Apr 29, 2007
If you first believe that God, in essence, has a gender then you are terrible mistaken. Jesus was a male, we know that. We also know that Jesus refers to "the Father." I believe this is just a way we can recognize how God is and protects us. God is not only my father, but my mother as well. He has the traits of both. He is my protector and my nurturer.

GREAT STORY!!
kavi

Mumbai, India

#9 May 6, 2007
I think god exist but i cant understand why he is so passive about sufferings
and the unfair rules of the world.
He should be able to work things out
kavi

Mumbai, India

#10 May 6, 2007
It is scary to thing that god does not exist.
Katie

Lexington, KY

#11 May 17, 2007
Re: the barbershop "explanation":

Tell it to my brother, who was seriously brain injured at 18 and has been permanently disabled, and his family, and the innumerable other people in similar and/or equally horrible circumstances. Oh--I suppose it's because he didn't "go" to God, as one goes to a barber? I don't know whether he "went" to God or not, but even if you don't go a barber, does he stab you with the razor?

No, this is evidence (not proof, but evidence) that God--at least your version of God--does not exist. Either "He" doesn't exist, or "He" is a real bastard. Those are the choices.
Katie

Lexington, KY

#12 May 17, 2007
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
God created MAN in His own image. Later, God created WOMAN from Adam's rib. So, no, God is not a girl.
The god of the bible (like the bible itself) was created by man in his own image. That's why "God" is male--because those men figured that anything omnipotent and omniscient would have to be male. All God's masculinity proves is that the ancients couldn't imagine it any other way.

(Why people continue to argue about the particular characteristics of a fictitious being is beyond me.)
gee

Crystal Lake, IL

#13 Oct 4, 2008
The question of gods existance is really just someone contridicting his existance. Its a question that random people ask on a regular basis.. it gets old. I know for a fact that god is just as real as the computer you are using to read this comment right now.
So is he or isn't he.
Well look at the movie excersism of emily rose, well let me break it down, some one who is possesed is possesed by evil spirits otherwise known as demands. now if there is a demand then there has to be a devil right?
Okay now someone who has actually been possesed would be able to tell you that they saw angels and demands battling. Now this is the person who inspired the movie the exorsist in 1973. It was a boy. So now lets see if theres demands there's a devil and if there is angels there has to be a god.
So therefor i conclude that god is real now read the bible.
Tman

San Antonio, TX

#14 Oct 5, 2008
Don't people stop believing in Santa Clause around the age of 10??

Read the God Delusion
The Diver

Elkhart, IN

#15 Apr 3, 2009
kavi wrote:
It is scary to thing that god does not exist.
Agreed! Read a book called "The Shack" if you really want to get your arms around all the pain and suffering in this world. In a nutshell, God is infinitely patient. As a result of our (humankind) choice to reject God and seek independence on our own, we continually experience the consequences that accompany these choices - often negative ones. Be assured though, that those who go to Him in humility will receive His blessings. God promises to work all things together for good for those that love Him!
The Diver

Elkhart, IN

#16 Apr 3, 2009
Katie wrote:
Re: the barbershop "explanation":
Tell it to my brother .... No, this is evidence (not proof, but evidence) that God--at least your version of God--does not exist. Either "He" doesn't exist, or "He" is a real bastard. Those are the choices.
Oh Katie! How full of bitterness you must be and understandably so. Life isn't fair. The Bible says it rains on the good and bad equally. I know my Lord and Saviour lives and is the most awesome Being. "He" has no gender so why get bent about it? Go outside and look up into the sky on a clear night and realize that what you are observing isn't even the size of grain of sand compared to the entire creation. You were created for the express purpose of willingly choosing to establish a relationship with God. Until you do, God will wait.
jake

Garland, TX

#17 May 7, 2009
god is neither man nor women he is spirit
test

Hornchurch, UK

#18 Jun 13, 2009
<font color="blue" hello
test

Hornchurch, UK

#19 Jun 13, 2009
<font color="blue">hell o</font>
Rhubarb

Canton, OH

#20 Jun 13, 2009
hence when the barber cuts your ear. You yell Oh My God.
Liberty

Selden, NY

#21 Jun 13, 2009
Yes, God does exist in the shape, matter and form of Barack Hussein Obama.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
texas women smell of fart (Sep '10) 6 hr FART EXIT 26
News Russian troll farm even made a fake Obama-Clint... 6 hr FART EXIT 5
texas women smell of fart (Nov '09) 9 hr SWEET FARTS 30
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr SWEET FARTS 64,463
News Republicans try to link sanctuary cities to the... Tue FART JUICE 5
Sex Offenders Now Have a Civil Rights Website (Apr '07) Tue FART BOOK 1,073
News For a weekend, Texas is a battleground for Trum... Feb 19 FART DEBT 2
More from around the web