Lure of land gives way to frustration

Full story: El Paso Times 97
Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day. Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jeff

Walkersville, MD

#89 Nov 12, 2013
Scam or not. Buying land...one does have to see the sites in person themselves.
But...as a person wanting to purchase more land. Is this a real deal? I also understand that area may not be plush land with greens and woodland.
recall California is a large desert landscape, if it were not for Californian ways to prop California...and California, and southern-western U.S. have its own fair of many people migrating there.
Jeff

Walkersville, MD

#90 Nov 12, 2013
...and buying raw pieces of land anywhere takes ALOT of work to make it just decent enough to use and dwell, even in green woodlands. Even more work to make arid/dry climates landscapes hospitable to dwelling, even to ranch on it. So, as an outsider of arid climate land purchase...what are locals and land-owners thinking about this.
Jeff

Walkersville, MD

#91 Nov 12, 2013
I am no newcomer to land holdings. But I ask because I'm coming from land-owners of greener and woodland landscapes holdings. But I have no arguments to take on land less green...so long as pollutions and salt-flats are not of issues...and local regulations and restrictions are of limited issues.
robinadair

Tunkhannock, PA

#92 Nov 19, 2013
mandalea2002 wrote:
Found this website after we made our first payment to Sunset Ranches, we were never offered this info. It is the Declaration of Restriction Covenants. This is the website.....I have sent emails to get answers but no response...
https://www.sunsetranches.com/home/pdf/Sunset...
I have read over them there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. No matter where you live there are easements. No one should come in there and leave a shoddy old trailer or broken down shack. I would not want that in an area I was living. All seem within reason.
Jim Douglas

Las Vegas, NM

#93 Nov 25, 2013
I'm visiting the area in Dec.'13, and considering purchase. Prices seem in line with similar land in W TX and NM. Researching sales prices it appears that values are going up over the years, not something one will find in all areas of the country. I'm not anti-social, but enjoy the quiet desert landscape more than listening to city traffic driving by. I'm buying for recreational use, but could build in the future. The restrictions seem reasonable. I'm going to look at such things as road access, is cell service available in the area etc. If I see any major concerns I'll post them on the forum. Otherwise I think a lot of the pro and con argument boils down to lifestyle. My idea of a delightful evening is a walk in an uncrowded area at sunset. Having lived in the country most of my life you figure out how to keep essential groceries stocked without having to run into town all the time. If you are wanting to be next to shopping malls, and nightclubs on a regular basis this may not be someplace you will be happy. And yes, there are more trees in Colorado and similar areas, but you are also fighting snow and ice 8 months out of the year- as for me that's reason enough to look at land in a dry area!
just_a_funny_guy

Valley Center, CA

#96 Dec 16, 2013
Well Jack and his brother Joe recently made headlines in Flint Michigan
as The Biggest Con Artist's that City has ever seen by milking something like 2.3 Million dollars out of them on a company that "never came to town" they just "Kept accepting the City's checks". I read a story in the El Paso newspaper that Sunset Ranches among the "Land Scammers" of west texas are the "Honest One's" what they do is take your money and wait for you to default on your contract. If you dont well ok you get your land. The statistic's show almost 95% of people default for some reason on a lengthy finance agreement, they also win out on the Finance Amount. When you do the math your paying almost the same amount in finance charges as the price of the land, WHAT? yep, take a good look,, undeveloped agrecultral land for $99 a month sounds cheap but when you pay almost 12000 to finance it somebody's getting paid BIG lol and they own 250000 acres baby. have a nice day, They are and your paying for it ciao
I know the situation well

Encinitas, CA

#97 Dec 16, 2013
Hey Valley Center, i'm curious, how do you know them? write me at thelandplace@gmail thanks!
just_a_funny_guy wrote:
as The Biggest Con Artist's that City has ever seen by milking something like 2.3 Million dollars out of them on a company that "never came to town" they just "Kept accepting the City's checks". I read a story in the El Paso newspaper that Sunset Ranches among the "Land Scammers" of west texas are the "Honest One's" what they do is take your money and wait for you to default on your contract. If you dont well ok you get your land. The statistic's show almost 95% of people default for some reason on a lengthy finance agreement, they also win out on the Finance Amount. When you do the math your paying almost the same amount in finance charges as the price of the land, WHAT? yep, take a good look,, undeveloped agrecultral land for $99 a month sounds cheap but when you pay almost 12000 to finance it somebody's getting paid BIG lol and they own 250000 acres baby. have a nice day, They are and your paying for it ciao
sallygur

New Kensington, PA

#98 Dec 17, 2013
youtube.com/watch... Ya'all Bitchin' Me!
HRally

Mississauga, Canada

#99 Feb 9, 2014
Hi! There,

Can you pass me you re-mail or phone num. as i have few questions.
Thx.
Rally
LoneStarLegend wrote:
Plan a trip, bring your family for a weekend and we can SHOW you better than we can TELL you. I'm in the process of remodeling now that we got our tax return so we're adding an enclosure, patio and hot tub around our pool with built in smoker & outdoor kitchen. It's truely beautiful and all our neighbors already hang out at our place for holidays cause most of them moved here from other places and have no biological family in our great state of Texas so we become their family. This years Summer Party will be the best yet provided we get our additions done in time. We been enjoying it and once the kids get out of school we'll really get our monies worth!!!
Steve H

The Colony, TX

#100 Mar 5, 2014
Help! I have a lot on Blue quail II (Unit 544) on Columbia road which is off Frederick road which can be accessed off hwy 1111.
Will I be able to drive up to my lot and how can I identify it.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve H.
Desert Dweller

Weatherford, TX

#103 Jun 26, 2014
I live near Van Horn on land. What is all the fuss about here??? If you buy land in the desert you would think people would know what to expect. We have solar power and haul water to our place and pump it into the house with a 24 volt solar pump. Also have a generator for back up and a septic system. I built and setup everything myself. Not for the weak.
72opelgt

Fort Campbell, TN

#105 Aug 20, 2014
Just wondering if there is any way of getting hard power to a lot on sunset ranchs, been looking at solar but for my current monthly usage the system would cost about 20,000, about a 1/3 of the price of the house I want to put on the lot. What size water tank do most people use? And how much is the cost of grading and compacting an area big enough for say 1500 square foot home? I have the lot and it is paid for. Also has anyone setup a shooting range on there lot one thing I would want to do.
Dean Wheeler

El Paso, TX

#106 Aug 21, 2014
72opelgt wrote:
Just wondering if there is any way of getting hard power to a lot on sunset ranchs, been looking at solar but for my current monthly usage the system would cost about 20,000, about a 1/3 of the price of the house I want to put on the lot. What size water tank do most people use? And how much is the cost of grading and compacting an area big enough for say 1500 square foot home? I have the lot and it is paid for. Also has anyone setup a shooting range on there lot one thing I would want to do.
As for the water, it depends on how many family members you have and how big they are. I personally have a 10,000 gallon reservoir but it's just me and me wife and she's petite. My neighbor is married to a two ton Tessie and he has a bunch of fat kids too so it probably takes twice that much to hose them down each night. A shooting range is no problem, either, as you can fire a damn bazooka out there and no one is the wiser. Good luck with your plans.
L Morales

United States

#107 Aug 21, 2014
Buying desert land is a good way to have safe fun lighting night time bonfires and boozing it up. When the EP Sheriff's show up to kick out, harrass, cite, and arrest you all you need to do is show them your deed and politely ask them to get the fruk off your mother trucking land now or else!
simba

Los Angeles, CA

#108 Sep 8, 2014
L Morales wrote:
Buying desert land is a good way to have safe fun lighting night time bonfires and boozing it up. When the EP Sheriff's show up to kick out, harrass, cite, and arrest you all you need to do is show them your deed and politely ask them to get the fruk off your mother trucking land now or else!
Why would the El Paso County Sheriffs show up in Hudspeth County?
Drifter

United States

#109 Oct 14, 2014
just_a_funny_guy wrote:
Have you ever gotten a mortgage? When you buy a house at 30 years fixed you end up paying more for finance fees than the cost of the house...This is normal....
Robinadair

Dallas, PA

#110 Feb 4, 2015
Ken and Eileen wrote:
By the way Hudspeth County Sunset Ranchs is hundreds of thousands of acres in a hundred miles.I dont know where this sludge stuff was,but it wasnt anywhere anyone knows,Figure that out.If you need to be by a Mall go to Jersey,You love people next door watching you in your window,complaining your dirtbike,or musics to loud-Go To Jersey.You want wildlife in your yard,no noise but the breeze,Feel like shooting a gun or riding your quad a 2 am.This is heaven!But if your a complaining winy $%#^Go live in Jesrey.By the way,the people at sunset ranches are nice honest people,and if you dont like your property,they will give you land somewhere else.and everthing else,Is In The contract.I havent been lied to once.Ive been here one year,and love it.
The place does sound like Heaven. So glad we bough40 acres down there, got one of our adult daughters to purchase 20 acres. Living in northeast PA..below zero, snow now for over a month...can't wait to winter down at Sunset Ranches....should be within next year or two! Looking forward to meet our neighbors down there!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min SpaceBlues 52,301
News Clerics urge US to end family detention of immi... 17 min Dee Dee Dee 3
News Texas judge blocks family, medical leave benefi... 2 hr smacken lips 5
News How To Remove Florida Arrest.org And a Dui Mug ... (Jun '11) 16 hr the shield 138
News Abbott stays noncommittal on sending Guard from... Sat Donny Brook 1
News Ted Cruz announces he's running for president Mar 26 Le Duped 110
News Cruz opposes U.S. 'boots on the ground' now to ... Mar 25 swedenforever 32
More from around the web