Lure of land gives way to frustration

Lure of land gives way to frustration

There are 143 comments on the El Paso Times story from Aug 11, 2008, titled Lure of land gives way to frustration. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

DJ Jessy Fresh

El Paso, TX

#65 Apr 28, 2013
LoneStarLegend wrote:
Plan a trip, bring your family for a weekend and we can SHOW you better than we can TELL you. I'm in the process of remodeling now that we got our tax return so we're adding an enclosure, patio and hot tub around our pool with built in smoker & outdoor kitchen. It's truely beautiful and all our neighbors already hang out at our place for holidays cause most of them moved here from other places and have no biological family in our great state of Texas so we become their family. This years Summer Party will be the best yet provided we get our additions done in time. We been enjoying it and once the kids get out of school we'll really get our monies worth!!!
Will there be alot of free stuffs. You know mexicans like my family like free chit. Can I bring my tio and tia?
Wilma Jamerson

Tyler, TX

#67 Jun 7, 2013
TXInvestor wrote:
<quoted text>
How much do you have and what do you want for it?
We own 40 acres in Sunset Ranches; 2-20 acre abutting lots. We are taking OFFERS! Please use our email: [email protected]
Memo Caballero

El Paso, TX

#68 Jun 7, 2013
Wilma Jamerson wrote:
<quoted text>
We own 40 acres in Sunset Ranches; 2-20 acre abutting lots. We are taking OFFERS! Please use our email: [email protected]
Callate pendejotio
Mrs White

Lowell, IN

#69 Jun 27, 2013
Unit 317 tract 9 [email protected]
I know them well wrote:
Tell me where its located & ill tell you. The unit & tr#.. leave your # is you want a call. The owner is a real creep
<quoted text>
Terry

Oak Harbor, WA

#70 Jun 30, 2013
I have been reading this thread for a while and I own 40 acres in sierra blanca. I have not got a chance to see my land yet but I know alot of people on here like it there. I was wondering if anyone could send me pics of their place or beautiful place around there. My email is [email protected]
JWRusell USRN

El Paso, TX

#71 Jun 30, 2013
Terry wrote:
I have been reading this thread for a while and I own 40 acres in sierra blanca. I have not got a chance to see my land yet but I know alot of people on here like it there. I was wondering if anyone could send me pics of their place or beautiful place around there. My email is [email protected]
Post a picture of your wife first.
Gus San Diego CA

Calexico, CA

#72 Jul 14, 2013
Unit 627, Track 25-30
Joey Reader San Diego CA

Calexico, CA

#73 Jul 14, 2013
I am planning on purchasing 100 Acres in Hudspeth County on a website http://www.sunsetranches.net and http://www.texaslandeals.com .
I am conducting my research of the company and getting conflicting stories that these land sales is or is not a scam.
If the potential with the Space travel center being constructed close by, I see the property value going up significantly.
Is there anyone who have purchased and live in the area willing to talk to me or contact via email at joey.reader04gmail.com or [email protected] would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance.
I know the situation well

Encinitas, CA

#74 Jul 14, 2013
Joey Reader San Diego CA wrote:
I am planning on purchasing 100 Acres in Hudspeth County on a website http://www.sunsetranches.net and http://www.texaslandeals.com .
I am conducting my research of the company and getting conflicting stories that these land sales is or is not a scam.
If the potential with the Space travel center being constructed close by, I see the property value going up significantly.
Is there anyone who have purchased and live in the area willing to talk to me or contact via email at joey.reader04gmail.com or [email protected] would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance.
I worked with & for them for many years and in spite of the booming sales & vg money I made, I became totally disgusted with the company(sunsetranches), knowing the philosophy of the owner Jack made me sick. Actually all the salespeople could not stand him but as many of us do, especially when we need the money, we sell our soul to the devil. I know all 6 ranches very well.. & very few "select" area's are good.. with mostly everything else bein located in very difficult to reach area's. The land is sold on the pretense that the majority of buyers will never visit their land. Yes I know their are many people who will swear that its all good, bla bla bla.. Most of them are in the original Fabens ranch that does look like a dump, have roads that are extremely sandy and where almost all of the 50 or so residents have no septic. That's my 2 cents. Hope its been helpful. Thanks
David C

United States

#75 Aug 11, 2013
LoneStarLegend wrote:
I get so tired of all these online internet people talking trash about my home Sunset Ranches. Life has been nothing but wonderful out here and as for all these people bad mouthing the owners I wont stand for it cause when my kids were starving & I was out of work that man looked me in the eye, shook my hand & gave me some part time work so we didn't lose our place or even worse our lives. So don't always believe what you read online cause I'm proud to tell any of you all about Sunset Ranches. The first piece of property I bought out here I bought on nothing more than a HANDSHAKE and that was 20 acres. We didn't even have a signed contract, and everything was totally honest. They're good people and now we own over 100 acres plus I get part time work at Sunset Ranches as caretaker, maintaining the roads, making sure the street signs are clearly marked, picking up trash etc. Plus I have a well & I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a SWIMMING POOL too!!!!
Please email me @ [email protected]

I need your advice. I would like to be a neighbor. Thanks

David C
Shanon Amico

Crownsville, MD

#77 Aug 11, 2013
web dating sites http://tinyurl.com/l6by53p
Ro Ya

San Diego, CA

#78 Aug 28, 2013
I have 40 acres just south of Van Horn..any drillig going on in Hudspeth Cty?
texmex

Orange Park, FL

#80 Oct 13, 2013
One thing I find a little unnerving about this business is that one of the the sellers for Sunset Ranches is also a a foreclosure expert. After researching I am finding a lot of foreclosures and reselling. Complaints have been numerous enough to prompt a reporter from a local newspaper to investigate. Needless to say the article did not favor this company and approximately the same time a local politician began a fight to pass new legislation to protect the public from losing their life's savings investing in a false dream - albeit this is some time ago . I have not seen any property Sierra Blanco/Van Horn (Hudsbeth County) area but I will traveling there soon and I will be taking photos and making a trip to the county clerk's office. I have a young, dear and close family member who purchased property from this company online without doing their homework and I hope it is not as horrific as what I am reading. I hope it is as advertised and all is well. No one is stopping you from looking at the property in person - just something to consider BEFORE you buy. If I like what I see, then I will also be a property owner in the great state of Texas.
horizon monster

El Paso, TX

#81 Oct 13, 2013
texmex wrote:
One thing I find a little unnerving about this business is that one of the the sellers for Sunset Ranches is also a a foreclosure expert. After researching I am finding a lot of foreclosures and reselling. Complaints have been numerous enough to prompt a reporter from a local newspaper to investigate. Needless to say the article did not favor this company and approximately the same time a local politician began a fight to pass new legislation to protect the public from losing their life's savings investing in a false dream - albeit this is some time ago . I have not seen any property Sierra Blanco/Van Horn (Hudsbeth County) area but I will traveling there soon and I will be taking photos and making a trip to the county clerk's office. I have a young, dear and close family member who purchased property from this company online without doing their homework and I hope it is not as horrific as what I am reading. I hope it is as advertised and all is well. No one is stopping you from looking at the property in person - just something to consider BEFORE you buy. If I like what I see, then I will also be a property owner in the great state of Texas.
That's the nature of the business you dumbazz, it's like the rats that go around selling homes '4 sale by owner', once the poor cannot make the payments they move in and foreclose and evict them out of their own homes. Opsen your eyes you shit4brains.
texmex

Orange Park, FL

#82 Oct 13, 2013
I know the situation well wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with & for them for many years and in spite of the booming sales & vg money I made, I became totally disgusted with the company(sunsetranches), knowing the philosophy of the owner Jack made me sick. Actually all the salespeople could not stand him but as many of us do, especially when we need the money, we sell our soul to the devil. I know all 6 ranches very well.. & very few "select" area's are good.. with mostly everything else bein located in very difficult to reach area's. The land is sold on the pretense that the majority of buyers will never visit their land. Yes I know their are many people who will swear that its all good, bla bla bla.. Most of them are in the original Fabens ranch that does look like a dump, have roads that are extremely sandy and where almost all of the 50 or so residents have no septic. That's my 2 cents. Hope its been helpful. Thanks
May I ask what the owner Jack's philosophy is and why the sales people dislike him so much?
TexMex

Middleburg, FL

#83 Oct 15, 2013
LoneStarLegend wrote:
Plan a trip, bring your family for a weekend and we can SHOW you better than we can TELL you. I'm in the process of remodeling now that we got our tax return so we're adding an enclosure, patio and hot tub around our pool with built in smoker & outdoor kitchen. It's truely beautiful and all our neighbors already hang out at our place for holidays cause most of them moved here from other places and have no biological family in our great state of Texas so we become their family. This years Summer Party will be the best yet provided we get our additions done in time. We been enjoying it and once the kids get out of school we'll really get our monies worth!!!
If I may ask how long have you lived there and do you like it better than Jacksonville, Fl?
TexMex

Middleburg, FL

#84 Oct 15, 2013
horizon monster wrote:
<quoted text>That's the nature of the business you dumbazz, it's like the rats that go around selling homes '4 sale by owner', once the poor cannot make the payments they move in and foreclose and evict them out of their own homes. Opsen your eyes you shit4brains.
I see uneducated ghetto rats like you truly are everywhere. Thank you for showing the world your lack of intelligence. As far as open eyes that's why I pointed out the fact that there is a foreclosure expert on staff. As far as shit for brains you've proved that only about yourself. I see you using different names to hide your cowardly self numerous times (not to hard to guess it's you) to insult people you will never face. Try rehab, put down the crack pipe and at least learn how spell. Use that welfare check to get an education.
big_picture_drea mer

Kalamazoo, MI

#85 Nov 8, 2013
I know W Tx land wrote:
<quoted text>
A 5 acre pc is not a legal transaction in W Tx. Undeveloved land must be 10 ac or more. Those 20's some people purchased can legally be spil down to 10's on paper and simply record it w the clerks office. PS the false info i see on this board is crazy. The merco dumping has nothing to do with Toxic dumping. The toxic dumping never happened. Its just sludge that was dumped, the same type thats dumped everwhere else in the US. Its breaksdown & is not harmful. People live, sleep eat & work in Sierra Blanca.
good morning i bought some land there in sierra Blanca and i been reading all this comments I can honestly said that is sad how people dont see the big picture thank you for your feed back and I also do my homework,well my husband does we been in contact with the agents there and I'm pleased we are hard workers and we are not afraid to get dirty i see a lot bad feed back and is sad so if you can please post more resent info or if is not to much to ask can u email me some pictures of the land out there I will appreciate [email protected]
realtor

United States

#86 Nov 8, 2013
TexMex wrote:
<quoted text>
I see uneducated ghetto rats like you truly are everywhere. Thank you for showing the world your lack of intelligence. As far as open eyes that's why I pointed out the fact that there is a foreclosure expert on staff. As far as shit for brains you've proved that only about yourself. I see you using different names to hide your cowardly self numerous times (not to hard to guess it's you) to insult people you will never face. Try rehab, put down the crack pipe and at least learn how spell. Use that welfare check to get an education.
You cannot buy properties on welfare you broke azz beaner, your putota mom must still live in el pisso you joto.
Curious

New Alexandria, PA

#88 Nov 9, 2013
MrJamesTFerguson wrote:
<quoted text>
To narrow down where the Merco Ranch was is a little difficult and that New York City sludge was a deal killer for sure! Folks in Sierra Blanca got sick from that stuff.
That was a very scary time and some nasty stuff they sprayed out there. I refused to buy any land in that area, north of I-10, for that reason. There does not seem to be any issues with the land south of I-10 like Donna was asking about.
I am leary of Sunset Ranches...I can not put my finger on it, but something is not right out there. 4 1/2 years as a Texas Peace Officer tells me something just ain't right!
Desert living is NOT for everyone, but you do not have to be a fool to buy the land and/or live out there...just have the right attitude!
I own 11.02 acres in Hudspeth County and I wish I had thousands more!
The glass is half full in Hudspeth County for those who are willing to see it!
Are you still a tx peace officer down there? If so, or if anyone lives down there still, I'm curious about the Blue Quail Ranches. They are NE of Sierra Blanca. Are they currently affected by the NY sludge or other toxins brought in? They are members of 2 BBB's in the area. The prices sound very good which makes me very cautious. I'm concerned about what I've been reading. The BBB endorsement along with the cost is about the only thing that has my attention. The low prices i can attribute to the fact it's in the desert, which like you say, isn't for everyone. I'd appreciate any info and feedback you may have. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'God has given Trump authority to take out Kim ... 4 hr old_moose 222
News Texas grand canyon's home to colorful history, ... 5 hr Avid reader 1
News Brother of slain Tejano star Selena jailed for ... 11 hr Laredo 1
Stanford U.wants to abolish"whiteness" 13 hr Gordo 2
News U.S. judge deals blow to Texas 'sanctuary' city... 13 hr Gordo 12
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 17 hr e williams 3
News Federal court strikes down Texas congressional ... 23 hr Christsharians on... 1
News Texas A&M calls off planned white nationalist r... Wed e williams 6
More from around the web