Tiguas breaking the law at Speaking R...

Tiguas breaking the law at Speaking Rock, state attorneys say

There are 22 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jul 30, 2008, titled Tiguas breaking the law at Speaking Rock, state attorneys say. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The Tigua tribe has repeatedly defied Texas law and court order prohibiting gambling on the reservation and should give up many of its gaming devices and a large portion of its profits, state attorneys told a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jean

Irving, TX

#1 Jul 30, 2008
Typically Texas idiocy..........the Tiguas find a means to employ 1500 El Pasoans and become self supporting taking their tribal members of the state welfare roles and the state decides it is illegal and hounds them to death..........the Bible belters need to stop determining what is right and wrong for everyone and allow pwople to ear a decent living.

The biggest scam in the state is the lottery.........we were told it would go to support the schools but it has gone into a geneeral fund with very little being spent on the schools while the taxes have been raised and raised again to do what we were told the lottery would cover.
Politics and Law make some pretty bizaar bedmates
curious

El Paso, TX

#2 Jul 30, 2008
Andale indios, to the back of the bus! Where has fairness gone? The law seems to be such that the government in the past and in the present will always stick it to the indians. Yes, yes, the indians probably signed away their rights, but when is there ever equal footing between the government and the indians; the government has broken laws with impunity against the indians in the past, but, I guess, so what.
Unconcern Reader

Brownsville, TX

#3 Jul 30, 2008
Means to employ 1500 El Pasoans and become self supporting taking their tribal members of the state welfare roles and the state decides it is illegal and hounds them to death. I just do not understand where is the fairness?
Leo

United States

#4 Jul 30, 2008
they were shut down by the bush administration during his tenure as governor along with john cornyn(what else can mr bush do)...they donated too much money to the democratic party. they became too much of a threat and so laws changed to outlaw ''gambling'' yet we have the texas lotto. hopefully the tiguas make enough money to tie this in up in court and still make a profit...it's a great strategy
John Wayne

El Paso, TX

#5 Jul 30, 2008
The Tiguas are a political threat to no one.... they are guilty of their own greed and arrogance. They landed themselves on the wrong side of the law by attempting to do what they wanted first and get permission for it later... while that may work for 2 year olds, it doesn't work with anything that has to do with gambling. In the end they're going to find themselves permanently barred from anything.
Mama Adelida Cuellar

El Paso, TX

#6 Jul 30, 2008
Unconcern Reader wrote:
Means to employ 1500 El Pasoans and become self supporting taking their tribal members of the state welfare roles and the state decides it is illegal and hounds them to death. I just do not understand where is the fairness?
they are NOT Indians, they are mexicans, welfare from Juarez !!

they are LAZY & should be shipped back to Juarez.

1,500 ?? You couldn't find 15 of these lazy people to put in 1 day of work, much less 1500 !!
Spirit in the Sky

El Paso, TX

#7 Jul 30, 2008
Your American laws don't apply here.
Barbara Perez

El Paso, TX

#8 Jul 30, 2008
All you jotos need to leave me people alone, speaking rock will reopen one day to continue to suck the life out of all those pathetic gamblers.
John Wayne

El Paso, TX

#9 Jul 30, 2008
.....sure and let's legalize drugs.

Since: May 08

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 30, 2008
Leo wrote:
they were shut down by the bush administration during his tenure as governor along with john cornyn(what else can mr bush do)...they donated too much money to the democratic party. they became too much of a threat and so laws changed to outlaw ''gambling'' yet we have the texas lotto. hopefully the tiguas make enough money to tie this in up in court and still make a profit...it's a great strategy
yes leo blame the bush ad. wait see if the blackman gets in then who to blame of course the blackman member O.freakin J

Since: May 08

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 30, 2008
Mama Adelida Cuellar wrote:
<quoted text>
they are NOT Indians, they are mexicans, welfare from Juarez !!
they are LAZY & should be shipped back to Juarez.
1,500 ?? You couldn't find 15 of these lazy people to put in 1 day of work, much less 1500 !!
mama dont hate proble the only foreiners you ever meet yea that gets tireing,here iv"e had chinese,filepinas,ukrainian,po lish,puerto rican,now trying for a korean girl,Dont worry MAMA its all good butwill up date you on my progress
GaserCLIT

United States

#12 Jul 30, 2008
Mama Adelida Cuellar wrote:
<quoted text>
they are NOT Indians, they are mexicans, welfare from Juarez !!
they are LAZY & should be shipped back to Juarez.
1,500 ?? You couldn't find 15 of these lazy people to put in 1 day of work, much less 1500 !!
i completely agree, they are like 1/156th injun, the ones that ran away in the midst of the recoquista of santa fe, did'nt help their own, haha, they got what they deserved, they made over 500 million in gambling profits, why didnt they invest it wisely in GOOGLE back in 2000? that could be a BILLION $ now, idiots. plus that slum where the suksino is a slum so no one wants to go there, haha no more junkets for the senior citizens to go lose money and still have to buy crappy fake frybread(really pita bread from BIG 8) sunland park casino is where its at, hot women, white women and REAL fun, maybe they could have chihuahua races with little midget mexicans riding them, NAH no way that would suk too. i hope the state burns that s/hitwhole all the way down
yitzhak57

El Paso, TX

#13 Jul 30, 2008
John Wayne wrote:
The Tiguas are a political threat to no one.... they are guilty of their own greed and arrogance. They landed themselves on the wrong side of the law by attempting to do what they wanted first and get permission for it later... while that may work for 2 year olds, it doesn't work with anything that has to do with gambling. In the end they're going to find themselves permanently barred from anything.
Very true. Remember when they had their own version of "ethnic cleansing" right before they first opened the casino? They kicked out hundreds of their own in order to shrink the size of the tribe in order to have a greater share of the casino money for those who were left. Apparently, they were not true "indians" and had less than 1/68 indian blood so they were expelled from their homes, even after living on the reservation for generations. These Tiguas aren't really indians themselves. What a sham!
Jitney

United States

#15 Jul 30, 2008
the tiWHATS suck all the way around, BOYCOTT RUNNING BEAR gas stations, the fry bread is just wheat bread made into a round patty
Former Elpasoan

Kyle, TX

#16 Jul 30, 2008
Jitney wrote:
the tiWHATS suck all the way around, BOYCOTT RUNNING BEAR gas stations, the fry bread is just wheat bread made into a round patty
If you learned to SPELL, someone MIGHT believe what you say.
Rezzdog

Utica, NY

#17 Jul 31, 2008
Ah, come on. How many times does the State of Texas have to beat up on these poor people? Doesn't the State of Texas have a fairly high murder rate it needs to take care of, or some other important criminal matters? What is the AG's office doing anyway for Texas, taking perpetual coffee breaks?
John Wayne

El Paso, TX

#18 Jul 31, 2008
Good reminder about the Tiguas purging their Rolls years ago.... first your ancestors had to appear on one list of refugees... then they had to be on another list or both lists.

How many homeowners in El Paso realize that they don't have clear title to their homes because the Tiguas claim rights to most of El Paso, Hudspeth and Culbertson Counties?

When I look at what this group wants to achieve, I look at who their leaders are and who they do business with. Their current leader has a very long criminal record and these guys had no problem hiring the likes of Jack Ambramhof to do their dirty work.

By the way, have they ever located "The Drum" in all these years of infighting?
Paul

El Paso, TX

#19 Jul 31, 2008
Leo wrote:
they were shut down by the bush administration during his tenure as governor along with john cornyn(what else can mr bush do)...they donated too much money to the democratic party. they became too much of a threat and so laws changed to outlaw ''gambling'' yet we have the texas lotto. hopefully the tiguas make enough money to tie this in up in court and still make a profit...it's a great strategy
Actually the charges were first brought against the Tiguas during Ann Richards (Dem) tenure as governor. They didn't comply then and tried to fight the law until they were shut down during Bush's tenure just like they are not complying now. Now their attorney says he that the Tiguas didn't think they were breaking the law. Legal class 101: "Ignorance of the law is no defense"
julio

Newcastle, CA

#20 Aug 22, 2008
Tiqua greeeed and corruption!!!!
steve

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Aug 25, 2008
julio wrote:
Tiqua greeeed and corruption!!!!
what comes around, goes around, the people of Tortugas pueblo are amused!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 49 min Patriot AKA Bozo 63,386
News First look: Osso & Kristalla 2 hr MuchPharts 3
News In border meeting, Sid Miller suggests distance... 4 hr Bush Lied People ... 1
will interacial dating eventually wipe out the ... (Jun '07) 13 hr Learned1 237
News Texas man arrested after dragging dog with moto... 23 hr mean 4
Sex Offenders Now Have a Civil Rights Website (Apr '07) Thu Falsely Accused Dad 1,026
News Trump supporters in Texas elated at a tough-on-... Thu ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
More from around the web