Prescription skin cancer cream Aldara has horrific side effects, say users

There are 20 comments on the Aug 8, 2006, NewsTarget.com story titled Prescription skin cancer cream Aldara has horrific side effects, say users. In it, NewsTarget.com reports that:

Elaine Hollingsworth put Aldara on her nose thinking that it was the "benign salve" that her dermatologist made it out to be; instead, it was the beginning of her nightmare.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTarget.com.

Ian Norwich uk

Faringdon, UK

#2193 Apr 18, 2014
Used cream for 4 days on penis, very sore today and I feel rough, headache, exhausted. Amazingly powerful when using tiny amount but on balanitus area where skin already compromised.
So little info on pre cancerous cells on glans of penis.
April 2014
Louis McLeod

Holly Springs, NC

#2194 May 11, 2014
In 2011 I had laser treatment to have a large tattoo removed. The doctor prescribed Aldara Cream. I put in on a large area. A few weeks into treatment I got really sick with flu like symptoms and severe joint pain that lasted a week or so, I stopped using it but after a while started again and the same thing happened. I continued that tattoo removal without the Aldara. Sometime later I began having sever ringing in my ears to the point I was suicidal. No doctor could help me. I could hardly work. I was self employed as a Private Investigator. Things finally got so bad that I was diagnosed at the age of 47 with severe bipolar disorder even checking myself into and staying in a mental hospital for 6 days. I could not work anymore. I had previously been in law enforcement for years and was in good health. I am now 56. I still have severe burning on my right arm. The throbbing and ringing is not as bad but comes and goes. I have severe lower back pain that comes and goes. Had an MRI my back is in great shape. I am retired on social security disability because I can no longer work. I take Haldol, xanan, depakote, seroquel, toprol, zoloft. I also have severe sleep apnea and I have tremors. At the age of 47 I obtained a black belt in two styles of martial arts and was in perfect health. But now at 56 the medications I take keep me pretty squared away but it was all to much for my wife who after 24 years bailed out and left me. I not writing this to get sympathy because I take life as it comes and just deal with it. I think this medication is deadly dangerous and the population is being used by the large drug companies as lab rats and I want to see some kind of class action law suit initiated to get this poison off of the market. Those of you who have experienced the nightmare this drug causes you please know you are not alone and that I will be praying for all of you collectively as I pray for myself.
Just a guy

Indianapolis, IN

#2195 May 12, 2014
Louis McLeod wrote:
In 2011 I had laser treatment to have a large tattoo removed. The doctor prescribed Aldara Cream. I put in on a large area. A few weeks into treatment I got really sick with flu like symptoms and severe joint pain that lasted a week or so, I stopped using it but after a while started again and the same thing happened. I continued that tattoo removal without the Aldara. Sometime later I began having sever ringing in my ears to the point I was suicidal. No doctor could help me. I could hardly work. I was self employed as a Private Investigator. Things finally got so bad that I was diagnosed at the age of 47 with severe bipolar disorder even checking myself into and staying in a mental hospital for 6 days. I could not work anymore. I had previously been in law enforcement for years and was in good health. I am now 56. I still have severe burning on my right arm. The throbbing and ringing is not as bad but comes and goes. I have severe lower back pain that comes and goes. Had an MRI my back is in great shape. I am retired on social security disability because I can no longer work. I take Haldol, xanan, depakote, seroquel, toprol, zoloft. I also have severe sleep apnea and I have tremors. At the age of 47 I obtained a black belt in two styles of martial arts and was in perfect health. But now at 56 the medications I take keep me pretty squared away but it was all to much for my wife who after 24 years bailed out and left me. I not writing this to get sympathy because I take life as it comes and just deal with it. I think this medication is deadly dangerous and the population is being used by the large drug companies as lab rats and I want to see some kind of class action law suit initiated to get this poison off of the market. Those of you who have experienced the nightmare this drug causes you please know you are not alone and that I will be praying for all of you collectively as I pray for myself.
I have the ringing in my ears also, and the lower back pain just started for me, I sometimes have a hard time just bending over to pick up a piece of paper. I got to the chiropractor in one week to see if there is something else causing it. I hope so. I under stand what happened with your wife because my wife and I are having a lot of problems due to all my problems. Could you describe me your back pain? Im very worried about it because im in construction and I really don't want to give up my job.
Lis

Dunkirk, NY

#2196 May 14, 2014
I feel your pain Louis...yep its the poison...I mean aldara. Why was it prescribed for a tattoo removal? Dear God....no wonder you are s sick. All your medical issues are a direct result from its use. You can read back through the horror of it all! I'm sorry for your suffering and all of ours.....some one was working on a lawsuit, but it seems to be going nowhere. Hang tight ....6 years post use has brought some relief, but it is criminal what this drug does.
aldara1

Lindale, TX

#2197 May 14, 2014
Back in the mid-2000's, 3M was promoting every dermatologists willing to listen to them on the basis of identifying as many possible uses or indications for the drug Aldara. You would be astonished to learn of the long list of experimentations conducted by these hired guns of 3M. They were for sure compensated very well for their finding new indications for Aldara because the drug was severely lagging behind in sales income missing all projections on a yearly basis since it was approved in 1997. It is perfectly legal for these doctors to experiment on all of us in off label uses of the drug. It is illegal for 3M to directly promote or conduct any uses of the drug except for those approved by the FDA. So, 3M perfects a work-around the FDA laws by influencing these dermatologists to do what they cannot do, run experiments on the general public. One of these experiments was tattoo removal which has a varying degree of success but a Louis learned a devastating amount of systemic side effects some of which will be permanent. Other experiments consisted of hair growth, internal vaginal use for VIN, Bowens Disease, scar removal, mole removal, psoriasis which it causes rather than cures, Herpes which it causes rather than cures, and a list of about 25 more all of which failed but 3M nevertheless touted as being total success stories in their effort to expand sales. Really a very dark past for 3M and this drug.
Mandi

Seven Hills, Australia

#2198 May 16, 2014
The more I hear the more disgusting the story is. Criminal negligence is too easy on these guys. Just disgraceful.
My Tinnitus fluctuates depending on whether i am having a 'good' day or a 'bad 'day. On a bad day it is like a trilion Cicadas living inside my head and I just sit quietly and get through the day. It is near impossible to do much else….the noise is too much. In the 13 years this symptom has become worse. So has the back pain. It has now gotten to the point of being one of my major debilitating issues. I manage the back pain with cortisone injections and fortnightly acupuncture on top of my pain medication. They help a lot.
I am starting a 10week pain program in the next few weeks or so, with one of the large teaching hospitals in Sydney. They know what they are doing. I have been told to not have high expectations, but even one thing learnt can make a huge change to my life at this point.
Good luck Louis. I am sorry you have to go through this.3M knew over a decade ago what this drug was doing and so did so many others. None of you have to be damaged now. It is incredibly wrong. We are all permanently damaged and have been telling our story for years in the hope of preventing others from being injured. Each new person injured is criminal. I am really sorry for you.
Rex

Uniontown, OH

#2199 May 16, 2014
I don't know if this will help anybody, but it has shown to be effective with me. I found an article and then some actual medical studies that showed a 50/50 results in what you are going to read. What that means in a couple of studies they felt it was effective and in some studies it was a waste of time. The information is to use 480 mg of Ginko Biloba and to enhance it with 120 mg of zinc picolnate. The Ginko you have to use must be rated as 781 prescription strength ( not the cheap stuff in other words). I take 240 mg of ginko and 60 mg of the zinc picolnate in the morning and in the evening. What it has done is knocked the volume down when I have the ringing or helps eliminate it. Now I have a double issue with ringing in the ears (that you may not have), some of my ringing is do to the severe clenching of my teeth at night when I sleep. There is a small tendon that goes across the middle ear that is activated when I clench my teeth that does not get to relax until I wake up. This tendon allows you to hear when you clech your teeth during the day. I have found this Ginko information to be helpful for me. One thing you must remember is Ginko will interact with a lot of medications. It would be advisable that you see the information on interactions of Ginko and medications you maybe taking before you try this.. The theory is Ginko has the ability to expand small arteries and allow for better blood flow. Better blood flow helps with the nerves and tendon to function as they are supposed too.
Rex

Uniontown, OH

#2200 May 16, 2014
Oh I forgot to add, I to have had to deal with issues from my use of aldara. I deal with all kinds of autonomic things, that aldara wrecked.
Flora

Chennai, India

#2201 May 29, 2014
the side effects of Aldara* are most likely to be minor and temporary.
Daisy

Chennai, India

#2202 May 29, 2014
Aldara can cause side effects most likely to be minor and temporary may be such as redness, swelling, itching, burning, and hardening of the skin.
InternationalDrugMart
Mandi

Sydney, Australia

#2203 May 30, 2014
Great news Daisy! Please let my body know….so we can all get off this 13 year nightmare…. so far! Do you really believe what the pharmaceutical companies are telling you on this one?? You have got to be joking. Having spent the last 2 weeks in agony, unable to barely move and in hideous pain….my advice from someone who has used Aldara…don't listen to Daisy….this person may not have used the product and is definately peddling it for profit. What a joke!! What a laughable joke to even bother typing this Daisy…….come on over and spend the week with me and then pls feel free to write the truth.
Mandi

Sydney, Australia

#2204 May 30, 2014
Oh and sorry…Flora too!!! too funny!
Thomas

Stockholm, Sweden

#2205 May 31, 2014
I went to see my doctor last week and he has referred me to a dermatologist on the suspicion of skin damage on my cheeks due to sun exposure (AK, BCC or SCC). My appointment with the dermatologist is two weeks from now, and I have spent days searching the internet for information about treatment options on different scenarios and the side effects concerned. Thank God I found this website to warn me from Aldara. But It seems that the Florouracil creams can have som bad side effects as well. Can anyone tell me more?

I would also like to know if anyone here has tried Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) and if it is to prefer over cryotherapy (freezing).8325
aldara1

Lindale, TX

#2206 May 31, 2014
Thomas wrote:
I went to see my doctor last week and he has referred me to a dermatologist on the suspicion of skin damage on my cheeks due to sun exposure (AK, BCC or SCC). My appointment with the dermatologist is two weeks from now, and I have spent days searching the internet for information about treatment options on different scenarios and the side effects concerned. Thank God I found this website to warn me from Aldara. But It seems that the Florouracil creams can have som bad side effects as well. Can anyone tell me more?
I would also like to know if anyone here has tried Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) and if it is to prefer over cryotherapy (freezing).8325
I have used every form of treatment for my chronic skin cancer condition over the past 30 years. All of it! I have never had any side effect whatsoever from 5FUor Efudex Florouracil creams. Unless you might call the rather fast and robust reaction you get from the creams a side effect. As far as systemic side effects there are none to equal Aldara/imiquimod products side effects in fact the 5FU pharmaceutical drug action or mechanism is totally different and technically speaking is a cellular destructive compound whereas imiquimod products operate by altering the immune system to such un-naturally high levels of dangerous uncontrollable activity so that it begins to "see" the prior hidden rogue cancer cells, labels them for destruction through means of the immune system not by direct cellular destruction as you have in 5FU and the other treatments. Basically battery acid will do the same identical thing to cancer cells as 5FU products and that is directly kill the cells on contact. Cryotherapy is another form of direct cellular destruction. Aldara/imiquimod causes the immune system to seek out the cancer cells, move them through the lymph nodes systems in the area of the treatment then out of the body. Others get caught up in the reaction in the surface of the skin in the open wound and crusting that takes place during treatment of imiquimod. Now the good part. Your good cells and those you do not ever want your immune system to recognize also gets caught up in this same immune stimulated drug action of Imiquimod and those are killed off as well but that is not where it ends. Your immune system at some point in all of this begins to remember the good cells as the bad guys. Once your immune system memory has been set to recognize your good cells as the bad guys you have autoimmunity taking place. Scientist think that when this action with imiquimod takes place for longer than 21 days straight, it can become a permanent injury by developing a permanent autoimmune condition like we see our other users in this forum having with lupus SLE, arthritis, celiac spru, rejection of transplant skin or organs, and a host of other autoimmune conditions. This is what this forum is all about, those who have crossed that line of safety at the directions of 3M and the treating physicians telling us at the time how Aldara/imiquimod is topical and similar to 5FU products you have nothing to fear. There is nothing to worry about just keep applying it like I tell you and you'll be just fine. That's after you tell him/her you spent time in the ER trying to stay alive last night. They just don't get it .........
Thomas

Stockholm, Sweden

#2207 Jun 1, 2014
Thank you for your prompt reply, aldara1. I haven't had time yet to read through all the 2000+ posts in this thread, but I understand that you are very knowledgeable in this area, and would like to ask you, if cancerous spots tend to return on previous treated areas, and if so, have you noticed if they return faster or slower depending on what the previous method of treatment were?
aldara1

Lindale, TX

#2208 Jun 1, 2014
Thomas wrote:
Thank you for your prompt reply, aldara1. I haven't had time yet to read through all the 2000+ posts in this thread, but I understand that you are very knowledgeable in this area, and would like to ask you, if cancerous spots tend to return on previous treated areas, and if so, have you noticed if they return faster or slower depending on what the previous method of treatment were?
You know, I have had over 33-mohs surgeries and used literally 10's of dozens of tubes of creams we have previously mentioned in treating my skin cancers over the decades. I have been fortunate enough to have had excellent dermatologists perform my mohs surgeries and have received excellent results on them all. With that said, I have had only a small bcc return near the scar line of one of the mohs closure points. That is very good odds in my opinion that mohs should be the first option discussed for bcc's. I cannot say the same about any of the creams. I have had a number of mohs surgeries on numerous past treated bcc's I had treated with creams and it doesn't make any difference which one is used. Creams cannot deliver over about 60% efficacy. Mohs is about 99.6% in efficacy if performed by a licensed mohs surgeon. There is no way of anyone your doctor included that can look at a cream treated site and determine with any accuracy if all the cancer cells have been eradicated. It is a crap shoot at best using creams. In 2000, I treated a nickel sized bcc on my forehead with Aldara. It developed into a credit card size open bleeding wound before I pulled myself off the drug. Dr. had no clue..... You would have assumed that with all this destruction no cancer cells could survive but in 2005, five years later, I had to have mohs surgery right smack in the middle of this credit card area. So, that will tell you that just because you are seeing surface destruction take place is no sign you are actually eradicating cancer cells with these creams. Hope this helps.
Thomas

Stockholm, Sweden

#2209 Jun 2, 2014
Yes, thanks. You've been most helpful.
lisa

Dunkirk, NY

#2211 Jun 16, 2014
So is there any class action law suit? Aldara1?
Aley

Wellington, New Zealand

#2218 Jul 23, 2014
Daisy wrote:
Aldara can cause side effects most likely to be minor and temporary may be such as redness, swelling, itching, burning, and hardening of the skin.
InternationalDrugMart
That is an understatement!!!!
Lisa

Dunkirk, NY

#2232 Aug 20, 2014
Aldara1 What happened to the law suit? with all this evidence why isnt it going through?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Early morning thunderstorm slams San Antonio area 13 min mexicanbeaner 9
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min Earthling-1 52,866
News The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Cruz on gay ... 3 hr Fa-Foxy 74
News Texas military communities call for state fundi... 6 hr That Farter 7
News 5Full transcript of President Obamaa s White Ho... 7 hr Responsibility 17
News News from America, 6:05 AMTed Cruz Voices Suppo... 8 hr Kevin Hamm 1
News The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Perry calls ... 13 hr USA Today 4
More from around the web