Prescription skin cancer cream Aldara...

Prescription skin cancer cream Aldara has horrific side effects, say users

There are 2144 comments on the NewsTarget.com story from Aug 8, 2006, titled Prescription skin cancer cream Aldara has horrific side effects, say users. In it, NewsTarget.com reports that:

Elaine Hollingsworth put Aldara on her nose thinking that it was the "benign salve" that her dermatologist made it out to be; instead, it was the beginning of her nightmare.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTarget.com.

JMT

Hollywood, FL

#2105 Nov 20, 2013
I was recently diagnosed w/ VIN3 and was prescribed imiquimod 5%. After the 3rd dose I started experiencing just about all the side effects including the flu like symptoms. Because of the location of the affected area, when I apply the cream it ultimately rubs onto the other side of the labia and now the non-affected area has become swollen, red, secreting and bleeding. It's to the point where I can barely urinate because of the pain. What can I do or apply to alleviate this painful situation?
Lynne NSW

Sydney, Australia

#2106 Nov 20, 2013
JMT wrote:
I was recently diagnosed w/ VIN3 and was prescribed imiquimod 5%. After the 3rd dose I started experiencing just about all the side effects including the flu like symptoms. Because of the location of the affected area, when I apply the cream it ultimately rubs onto the other side of the labia and now the non-affected area has become swollen, red, secreting and bleeding. It's to the point where I can barely urinate because of the pain. What can I do or apply to alleviate this painful situation?
Hi JMT

Stop using int! I have not used Aldara for approximate 7 weeks after having used it for 3 weeks. I still have flu symptoms and I have small sores all over me that will not heal!! In fact, nothing heals - I have a blister on my heal that is taking forever to get better. I hope one day I will have unblemished skin again but it is not looking likely.
Lynne NSW

Sydney, Australia

#2107 Nov 20, 2013
Lynne NSW wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi JMT
Stop using int! I have not used Aldara for approximate 7 weeks after having used it for 3 weeks. I still have flu symptoms and I have small sores all over me that will not heal!! In fact, nothing heals - I have a blister on my heal that is taking forever to get better. I hope one day I will have unblemished skin again but it is not looking likely.
I forgot to mention - I was diagnosed with VIN 3 in my 20's. It was treated very successfully with laser treatment. I am not in my 50's and have not a problem since. It was a much more comfortable treatment than Aldara.
Mandi

Chipping Norton, Australia

#2108 Nov 21, 2013
Now after using a tiny amount of Aldara 12 years ago and never feeling well once in the last 12 years, I have terrible problems with anything healing. Because of the damage to my immune system, everything goes though the process of infection and then takes weeks and months to heals.
My GP has just burnt off a batch of BCC's off my back which have been annoying me all year, but with the year as it has been there have been other more pressing issues to get to. There has been a small amount of relief, which confirms my suspicion that my back feels like it is covered in small skin cancers. It feels like I just want someone to go over the whole top layer and burn it off. The same with both my forearms. A strange rash over both of them which is a rough,sore uncomfortable skin condition…again possibly all skin cancers…..also suggested by my GP. Aldara seems to stimulate AK's and BCC's after some time. Again, it feels like I just need someone to go over every centimetre of the skin and burn off the top layer and see if we can settle it all down again.
Nothing is ever comfortable again post Aldara….12 years later, and every day is a cocktail of new and old symptoms and discomforts. Certainly no relief as yet. And sadly no healing.
Sorry there is no better news.
Alive tho which is better than what I was reporting earlier this year?
JMT

Hollywood, FL

#2109 Nov 22, 2013
Lynne NSW wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to mention - I was diagnosed with VIN 3 in my 20's. It was treated very successfully with laser treatment. I am not in my 50's and have not a problem since. It was a much more comfortable treatment than Aldara.
Thanks for the reply.... such a difficult situation. Because of how spread out it the alternative I have to the cream is the surgery and that's something i'm terrified of. I have my follow up in 2 wks to see if the cream is effective or not on me. I will have to make a decision then. Till then I pray.
Lisa

Dunkirk, NY

#2110 Nov 26, 2013
Everyone just wants to do the right thing when they have been given that awful diagnosis of cancer...skin or whatever type....take a death breath, do your research and follow your gut. Doctors don't have all the answers, medications aren't always the solutions....I pray you find the right treatment and don't end up sicker than you ever imagined...from the very treatment that was suppose to help. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving......despite everyting...there is a lot to. Be thankful for.o
Clint

Tugun, Australia

#2111 Dec 5, 2013
I have been using aldara for 5 weeks, 5 times a week. I use it on my shoulder for a bcc. During the 5th week i started feeling dizzy had stomach cramps and dihorea. The start of the 6th week I have had full on headaches, dizziness, extremely sore eyes and a sore throat. I stopped using it last night on the 2nd day of week 6 I feel slightly better today. I have a doctors appointment this morning and will let you know what they attribute it to.
Michele

Cape Town, South Africa

#2112 Dec 6, 2013
JMT wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply.... such a difficult situation. Because of how spread out it the alternative I have to the cream is the surgery and that's something i'm terrified of. I have my follow up in 2 wks to see if the cream is effective or not on me. I will have to make a decision then. Till then I pray.
JMT the cream always seems to work on the spot. It's your immune system you have to worry about afterwards. Unfortunately your immune system is the whole of you.
Michele

Cape Town, South Africa

#2113 Dec 6, 2013
Clint wrote:
I have been using aldara for 5 weeks, 5 times a week. I use it on my shoulder for a bcc. During the 5th week i started feeling dizzy had stomach cramps and dihorea. The start of the 6th week I have had full on headaches, dizziness, extremely sore eyes and a sore throat. I stopped using it last night on the 2nd day of week 6 I feel slightly better today. I have a doctors appointment this morning and will let you know what they attribute it to.
Yes Clint thats Aldara. Had a sore throat for 6 months and hectic respiratory problems afterwards at the same time amongst other stuff, long list
Patricia

Burnaby, Canada

#2114 Dec 21, 2013
I too, Used Aldara and had horrific side effects, including an allergic reaction where I broke out in hives from head to toe including my mouth.
I have experienced joint pain and bursitis in my elbow that became so bad I had to be on IV antibiotics for three days and two weeks of oral.My immune system is completely shot. I'm vegetarian, do yoga 4 times and week and have a very healthy lifestyle. I'm 43 and feel 83:(
I have never felt the same, after I started this horrific drug and would discourage anyone from using it!
Deb

Greensboro, NC

#2115 Dec 22, 2013
I went to my Doctor for a physical and ask him for some Retinol A and then he started looking at my face. I have a red spot on it, and he then prescribed this (Aldara). He said to put it all over my face, and so I have done. It stings a little, itches a little but not bad at all. He gave me 12 packets and I have not had sores or crusting or any of the things I have read about. Maybe I don't have that much sun damage, even though I have always been in the sun. I tan really easy, like boom. But I have read so many bad things and with me coating my face with this stuff, what in the world is likely to happen. Now I am very afraid. I have seen no results, when do you see the results? After you finish it. Just do not know what to think. Why would he give something like this instead of just what I ask for. He said in the long run the results would be much better. Any Advise? I have bronchitis and feel lethargic, but that started coming on before I started the cream. Please help.... Deborah
Rex

Uniontown, OH

#2116 Dec 22, 2013
Deb, my suggestion is not to use this stuff. I would have them see if they can freeze the spot. This drug is nasty and can wreck havoc with you. I deal with a blood pressure that is a moving target and restless leg now. Also if you keep using it and you develop any open sores DO NOT APPLY this to the sore. It will go directly in to your blood stream. I lucked out I did not have any sores or my situation would be worse. Plus if you are going to use this stuff do not put it all over your face, just on the spot. This ointment will or can alter your immunes system.
Deb

Greensboro, NC

#2117 Dec 22, 2013
Well what do I do now I have used quite a bit of it. I thought it boosted your immune system. I would hate to think I paid 130.00 to make myself sick. I literately have been putting this stuff on like cold cream.
Lisa

Dunkirk, NY

#2118 Dec 29, 2013
Deb, just stop using it would be my suggestion. Sounds like you dodged any major reactions. Doctors prescribe it all the time...without you asking or wanting the treatment. It doesn't mean you have to follow their advice. Read what people have expierienced , it is not pretty. 130 dollars is nothing in comparison to what you will spend trying to get well from this toxic drug.
Lisa

Dunkirk, NY

#2119 Dec 29, 2013
It's an immune system modifier, not booster....it alters it and can change it. Not for the better!
Mandi

Sydney, Australia

#2120 Dec 31, 2013
Happy New Year!
It will be if not one person is damaged by Aldara.
If all the people suffering from this crazy drug, are helped by the Executives and Scientists who have put Aldara in the market place.

2014 can be the year when change can happen if these people decide to do the right thing.
Do the right thing.
Life is short and the soul lasts forever.
We can all have a better New Year if they choose?
Sondra

Cobbitty, Australia

#2121 Dec 31, 2013
Have been on Aldara for 3weeks now. I have. 3 more weeks to go. The treatment is BRUTAL. ,I have dizziness tiredness ..no appetite Trying to hang in there but it is so difficult....
Sondra

Cobbitty, Australia

#2122 Dec 31, 2013
been treated for 3 weeks now. I have 3 more weeks to go. The treatment is Brutal....Lethargy ..No appetite. ..dizziness..Am hanging in there.Am utterly miserable..
Tony

London, UK

#2124 Jan 11, 2014
Hi Folks,
It's been over 3 years since my encounter with aldara,(I can't believe this drug is still being used!!!) I posted my description of the effects of it back in Oct 2010 (page 64) & wanted to give you an update.
Well, It looks like I'm going to be living with the after effects of this drug for the remainder of my life, a lot of the time I feel as if I'm older than my 85 year old father, with all the aches & pains associated with old age, muscle & joint pain (especially in the back of the legs behind the knees), mental confusion, poor vision, heart arrhythmia, sleep disturbance, long recovery time from any minor illness or exertion, lack of energy, very emotional, etc, etc.
But I'm not here to moan, I want to share with you the information I have gathered that is helping me to continue this journey called Life. Now it's not my intention to patronize, what follows is not a criticism of anyone elses way of dealing with this poisoning.
From the moment we're conceived the Universe is trying to reabsorb us through viruses, bacteria, wild animals, natural disasters... You get the idea, so right from the start we're in a constant Fight for survival. After about a year of floundering in severe pain & confusion caused by aldara, I began to see my aldara episode as just another attempt to be reabsorbed, It was only then that I finally started to take responsibility for my own actions, " I'm the King of me!", It was Me who rubbed that poison into my chest, no one else, the motives of big pharma or my doctor don't concern me anymore, I'm not seeking revenge or retribution. The time I have left on this earth can be better spent.
By researching my health symptoms, looking at what suppIements are good for old folks, dementia sufferers, athletes, I found great results from taking amino acid supplements: This regime is what currently works for me, I'm not advocating anyone else follows it, but read the data on the net and make your own decisions, it's just my way of showing how I'm taking control of my life & body.
NAC (great for flushing out the constant cytokine reaction, flu-like feeling), Alpha lipoic acid, Beta alanine (gives you the ability to exercise longer before muscle ache & fatigue sets in), Creatine, ALCAR, Vit C. Also improved my diet, no sugar, very little alcohol, pacing myself, stopping before I get tired. This is not a cure, but it does alleviate a lot of my symptoms & enabled me to get off the couch & take that first small step in rebuilding my life (A year spent on the couch would make even the fittest person feel as weak as an astronaut returning from Mars!).
I hope all who have been damaged by this drug the very best for this new year 2014, the time is now, Now is all we have!
Tony
Aldara1

Lindale, TX

#2125 Jan 11, 2014
I simply cannot believe some of these posts!

"I am sick, hurt, no appetite, flu like conditions, bleeding, headaches, etc., etc., but I only have a few more weeks to go so hope I can hang in there and finish the course of treatment??????"

What to heck is this all about?

This is the classic injuries you are seeing in yourself not simple side effects that you think are not serious enough to question or cause you to simply stop using the drug?

Just beyond me why someone will read these posts from the others of us that have gone down this same path to injuries and yet you keep on using it after you plainly see it is harming you the same identical way it has permanently harmed us. I just don't get it.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 57,183
News Texas standardized test panel asked to consider... 8 hr Ben Ghazi 1
News Border Patrol Union: Agents Ordered to Release ... Sat ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 4
Poll Did Ted Cruz cheated his wife? Feb 5 The team of Donal... 9
News Lure of land gives way to frustration (Aug '08) Feb 4 Heidi 111
News Showdown in Houston over LGBT nondiscrimination... Feb 4 WasteWater 395
News Texas man gets 30 years for slaying during 2013... Feb 4 Ben Ghazi 1
More from around the web