Life on oil rig hard but lucrative

Apr 15, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Desert Sun

CARRIZO SPRINGS, Texas - A few years ago, Frankie Gonzalez was working marginal jobs and running with the wrong crowd in his small South Texas hometown of San Diego.

Comments
81 - 100 of 112 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2014
Silver

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Good comment Bravo. For all those down talking the oil buisness, just look around. Just about everything you see and touch is carbon related, your plasticware, pens, tv, phones, the tires ur car rolls on, gas oil, water bottle, the shoes you wear. The list can go on forever. I read someone mentioned "hope Obama shuts it down.". Really? He can't shut down a damn thing. What he needs to shut down is this welfare and unemployment system that is being taken advantage of, mainly by people like all trash-talkers and people in that area period! If anything, pat these hard working men on the back, it is their taxes withdrawn from their PAYCHECKS (yall know nothing about), that feed you and your "State Babies.". There is nothing degrading about this industry. Someone mentioned it was slavery,. You see how ignorant you sound, did slaves get paid?? Out here in west tx, there are people from all walks of life, even with degrees taking advantage of these great times, and great times are not going anywhere, just got bigger! Look up CLINE SHALE, biggest oil play in US history. Ten times bigger than the Eagle Ford Shale. Predicted drilling, 20 years, and 50 years of production. As for longevity as an employee in this industry? Move up, like the 29 yr old that said he would be Company man in a few. He will earn 150k-200k or more, there is a place in this industry for degreed personnel and non-degreed, bring your degrees and put it to use out here, find more oil!
Silver

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Uneducated wrote:
I guess if you are a loser and chose not to go to college and that's the only option you have left, go for it! jajaja Personally, I have more self respect!
People with low IQ's have to use their hands, rather than their brains to make a living! jaja
Somebody with an education would not make a comment like this. By your comment, there should be your picture, this is you. You are a snot-nosed trouble making rascal. You better get! I think I hear your mommy calling you to go throw the trash! U have such a high IQ?, GO run a multi-million dollar rig and understand all it functions.
fools

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

What are you gonna say when all that fracking deletes our water supply or contaminates the slow filling recharge of the carrizo aquifer that our farmers and ranchers use in south Texas to irrigate and water livestock with? What's more important drinking water or contamination? Don't let the oil drillers fool you they are dumping contaminated drilling mud on private property some of this is being done without the landowners permission and through threats.
Silver

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

fools wrote:
What are you gonna say when all that fracking deletes our water supply or contaminates the slow filling recharge of the carrizo aquifer that our farmers and ranchers use in south Texas to irrigate and water livestock with? What's more important drinking water or contamination? Don't let the oil drillers fool you they are dumping contaminated drilling mud on private property some of this is being done without the landowners permission and through threats.
Are you suggesting fracking is a new technology/practice. Fracking has been going on since 1948.. Don't be fooled by the Liberals. It will be ok.
HORN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

I think they said work as hard as a salvae the Physical part. And i dont think its that hard either. When you split to party and be with the a mistress. Work is work AS LONG AS ITS CLEAN WORK. AND IF YOU THINK A Oil Company is harrasing or going under your property to drill get a lawyer. A Education is good but what gurantes with so many out there looking for work in your field of study .
fools

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

You two did not read my post correctly. First, I'm not a liberal, far from it and I never stated fracking was new technology. Second, an oil company is not drilling from somebody else's property to mine. Third, some employees or companies ARE dumping drilling mud and fracking materials ILLEGALLY on private property with threats of bodily harm to anyone that reports it to authorities. You can't tell me fracking does not cause harm to the environment. When you're drilling between to geological shelves to extract oil, friction occurs and causes tremors ad earthquakes. The oil acts as a lubricant between the shelves when the earth's plates move. I'm talking about facts. Facts that I have heard from credible sources. So don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining! And lastly, I am for drilling for oil on our own country and companies and employees making a good living. But greed from landowners and oil companies seem to take preference over doing the right thing.
Silver

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

My apologies for any misdirected words. I do not understand why anyone would stand idle when they are threatened for reporting illegal activities on their property, bodily harm? Who is running these leases, Hugo Chavez, Validar Putnam, Fidel? I agree with you, you have valid points. There are bigger people than oil companies, these people being threatened should seek help.
Bilingualtech

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

haha wrote:
<quoted text>
If you only knew how much money those guys make you'd probably ditch your degree and get out there! I work in the oil field as a safety consultant. I have an associates degree in computer science clqomputer networking systems technology. I work two weeks on and have a whole week off and make 14,000 dollars a month. A degree? Forget it buddy, I get a vacation every month and so do those guys on the rigs. You should ditch your degree and get some of this really good money out here.
I want a application helppppp!!!! Ariboelter@gmail.com
Chale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Is there anyone who works on a rig in Texas that I could talk to?

Since: Nov 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

I work in the oilfield, before that, on the railroad, did the college thing, and got a degree, thing is I enjoy the hard work,rather do that than be stuck in an office or warehouse, it's not Neanderthal work either, I do water analysis, and perform many calculations and conversions, I guess I represent MEN, hard working men that face a challenge head on, don't knock the oilfield fellas, a lot of the spoils of your everyday life are possie because of the hard working men in the oilfield..
Just A Vato

Kemp, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

State babies ya the babies this guys make and leave behind. The majority cheat with any stupid hoe that will spread for them. Most don' t make to much its more talk. And hard work don' t agree when the Bars are packed with this vatos. And some girl mentioned how they drive like Pendejos so true. If you are married to a Oil Worker or have a son working for this Oil Companies Beware. Most of them are out here cheating and drinking clocking in after they slept for 3 hrs or so. Putting other workers in danger hope you never get that CALL ! Think its Bull Shit go to any Oil Boom Town and enter any Bar , Dance Hall or Strip Joint they will be there.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Att: Oilfield workers, due to the fact that you work for an Energy Company it is unfortunate that you are no longer able to participate, or enter an establishment that associates with any alcoholic beverages I.e, bars, clubs, strip clubs or any sort of that nature. You must leave your profession and work for the school districts, city, or law in order to participate in any of these activities. Also if your spouse is physically, mentally, or verbally, abusive, you must remain with her, even if her infidelity is proven,( caught cheating), too bad you can't leave her,.....be advised, if you do leave her,,,,,,THEN YOU DON'T LOVE YOUR KIDS!!!!!!...How about that,,is that better??????
Really

Kemp, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Cheating is Cheating - MOST- man and women do it. If you stay or leave it ' s all the same it does not change nothing. A job that requiers high responsability like a bus driver a piolet were lives are hanging by.a rope ya the company should not allow it when under the clock or reporting back to work. The oil workes mostly work for2 weeks make it a rule for those 2 weeks. Do as you please on your 2 weeks off. A JOB With High Moral like a Judge or Law Officals even State Workers like CPS should fallow some type pf conduct code or get fired or remove there license to practice law. It Sucks for example a Judge passing the Death Penality and he was at a strip joint the night before. A Social Worker taking some ones kids and was seen stumbling out of a Bar Drunk. A oil worker doing a mistake because he fell asleep and killed other fellow workers. A Doctor doing a Bi Pass and is high on drugs. Just examples that some changes on Safety and Moral Conduct need to be fallowed at a Work Place.

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

I agree with this post, I agree that drinking and driving will cause fatal deaths, an act practiced by millions of Americans, I am concerned of teachers and coaches and pastors molesting kids, for I am a father as well, I am afraid when my wifes driving her self that a bus driver may crash into her for lack of sleep, point is, there are dangers in all types of employment, but that don't give me the right to knock on other people's jobs, see I work for the oilfield, I am aware of the dangers and pray everyday that I may come home to my wife and kids, there will always be ignorant careless people, EVERYWHERE, next door next city next state and next job.
Bilingualtech

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Where r they hiring for enty level positions????
me equals bmc2

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Bilingualtech wrote:
Where r they hiring for enty level positions????
I don't know about entry level, but a good start is class a cdl with a hazmat
Cheating Game

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

If the wife is not driving toher man rig site to give him some pussy some other hoe will do it for you. Ya he will tell her I Love - I wish I meet You First and I will leave her. At the end he leaves you the Sancha. You were just a hole he used for dumping his man juice in. And go back home like nothing. Even more Pathatic when she knew all along he was married and never got a divorce or moved in pertmenatly.. Just coming up with excuses. I cant leave my kids. lets keep it this way its working out good for both of us. I know this is what my friend married oil worker would tell her. I cant post her name mostly all of Carrizo knows her. He works for HP and is from the Valley.ad she still talks to him on the phone. Like my guy tells me stop being her friend and leave her in that mess she wants to be in. He know were he can fInd HER. She took this guy every where. To her moms house EVEN TO HER DAUGHTERS SCHOOL AND HER EVENTS !
Matt G

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Someone has to do these jobs and I applaude anyone that does it. Just because you work for the oil rigs doesnt mean youre uneducated. People make good money having a bachelors or an associates no doubt, but the amount of money you make in the rigs can benifit you way more. Most oil companys provide 401k, medical and dental benefits, and extra bonuses so money to be made is not a problem. I would much rather work in the oil fields than have a 9-5 job in a cubical. And as for the dangers, people can die anytime around the street; most people driving and and die in a traffic accident are right around the corner to their house.
Pitty the fool

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Pete wrote:
Who cares about the money... It's a degrading job! I wouldn't do it!
Its not degrading, might not be for everyone, but good money
Steve

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Actually thr bottom position pays 80g in 6 months and its less stressful than white collar jobs. heres a thought to ponder. I did bachelor of science in pharmacy and went back to the riggs because they were abusive in pharmacy. deal with cruddy people and bosses all day and regulations ate changing and pay is reducing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••