Life on oil rig hard but lucrative

Apr 15, 2012 Full story: Desert Sun 201

CARRIZO SPRINGS, Texas - A few years ago, Frankie Gonzalez was working marginal jobs and running with the wrong crowd in his small South Texas hometown of San Diego.

Read more
bigbossman

Luling, TX

#72 May 27, 2012
Shine my boots boy and make it snappy!
Just Saying

Rockport, TX

#73 May 27, 2012
Winner wrote:
When the world runs out of oil, 18th century technology will be what we'll all have to learn to use. Some may think it stupid to perform manual labor. I think it will pay long term dividends. I'm a professional in the medical field, but I don't shy away from hard work. In fact, I actively seek it out.
If we suddenly went back to 18th century, even over a prolonged period of time, most of us would die, as 18th century technology can not even come close to supporting today's population.
Ian

Edmonton, Canada

#77 Jan 10, 2013
Idiots like you try working the rigs and get skidded every day... The rigs are a respectfull career choice if you can handle it.
Not everyone out there has higher education or even a deploma but everybody out there makes more money in a month than a typical desk junkie like you.
It a hard job with real rewards some people can do it many can't, don't knock it till you try it
Thanks
By the way good job guys and girls currently rigging keep on keepin on!
doodley squat

San Antonio, TX

#78 Jan 10, 2013
STFU!
door king

Corpus Christi, TX

#79 Jan 10, 2013
no habla english wrote:
They have to bring people from other states cause the Mexicans don't know how to do anything unless you hold their hand. They are scared to make even the smallest decision for fear they might get blamed when something goes wrong. Mexicans can't handle responsibility.
The Mexicans know how to drill for oil. Thousands of them work in the Mexican patch. Every hear of PEMEX?
stud driller

San Antonio, TX

#81 Jan 10, 2013
Mexico only knows how to drill for oil because the U.S. showed them. If not for that the Mexicans would still be using a shovel to try and find oil! LOL!!
slongslayer

Marietta, GA

#82 Jan 10, 2013
Are they hiring i would do it sounds interesting
mudman

Carrizo Springs, TX

#83 Jan 10, 2013
no habla english wrote:
They have to bring people from other states cause the Mexicans don't know how to do anything unless you hold their hand. They are scared to make even the smallest decision for fear they might get blamed when something goes wrong. Mexicans can't handle responsibility.
sounds like you are one of those who were born thru the wrong hole, your mamas whirlwind. Trash.
door king

Corpus Christi, TX

#84 Jan 10, 2013
stud driller wrote:
Mexico only knows how to drill for oil because the U.S. showed them. If not for that the Mexicans would still be using a shovel to try and find oil! LOL!!
But they learned which is more than can be said about many of you.
GO GET A JOB BOY

United States

#85 Jan 10, 2013
If you want to get away from the wife. And your boring pathic life this Job is for you. MAKE GOOD $$$.....BUT YOU WILL WORK LONG HOURS LIKE A SLAVE. Shower get dressed and leave the rig to fuck a hoe and drink it up. Report to work after sleeping a few hours. Don ' t worry you will not get fired the boss does it too. The wife won 't find out unless you get careless. Watch out if she starts reading topix and getting ideas . Then my friend you are F.cked !
rigger

Corpus Christi, TX

#86 Jan 21, 2013
Pete wrote:
Who cares about the money... It's a degrading job! I wouldn't do it!
why not?
si habla english

Sacramento, CA

#87 Jan 30, 2013
no habla english wrote:
While your here doing a mexican job.theres a mexican doing your job in your house your wife isnt holding his hand though shes holding his!!!! yeah lets not go there we want you to focus on your mexican job your next shift.
si habla english

Sacramento, CA

#88 Jan 30, 2013
stud driller wrote:
lmfao dont forget to mention the pick.this my friend is hilarious.
si habla english

Sacramento, CA

#89 Jan 30, 2013
GO GET A JOB BOY wrote:
If you want to get away from the wife. And your boring pathic life this Job is for you. MAKE GOOD $$$.....BUT YOU WILL WORK LONG HOURS LIKE A SLAVE. Shower get dressed and leave the rig to fuck a hoe and drink it up. Report to work after sleeping a few hours. Don ' t worry you will not get fired the boss does it too. The wife won 't find out unless you get careless. Watch out if she starts reading topix and getting ideas . Then my friend you are F.cked !
sounds just like o/t truck driver career.exept cant fuction on a hang over and the lot lizards inless you want to squat to take a piss you wait till you get home. by then you will be happy to see the wife vice versa for o/t large marge.
Silver

Austin, TX

#90 Jan 30, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Your associates degree doesn't even count in the real world. But your right 14,000 is a lot of money per month, but what are you going to do after the oil boom? Also riggers might be able to buy a 300k+ houses but can they maintain it after their job is gone? That's the problem here, what are these people going to do after everything is gone. Will they go to college and get a real degree, start a business, or just blow their money.
They can come to the "Norte", no NOT that Norte, lol! The Cline Shale, the biggest oil discovery in US history is about to explode, early estimates claim 10 eagle ford shakes can be stack on the jewel. Oil isn't going anywhere, more is being fun. Keep up the good work fellas., the majority of people in that area South, don't have work ethics, so let them talk, welfare state babies.
Dan

Houston, TX

#91 Jan 30, 2013
I lost my partner to a blowout last year. His family only got 3.2 million for his death. It's not a lot of money and no money can put a price on life.
lost a few wrote:
Has anyone mentioned how many people die working those jobs? I lost three friends already. Two on a blow out and one in transportation. So the risks are high. Life is worth more than all the money they got. On the blowout the families each received close to 5. 5 million dollars. I don't think life is worth that much but much more. You can't put a price on life period. Not even all the money in the world.
Not so

United States

#92 Jan 30, 2013
GO GET A JOB BOY wrote:
I dont believe that these guys at the oil rigs are sleeping around with hoes! I asked one of my friends husband and he said it aint true.
frenchie

San Antonio, TX

#93 Jan 30, 2013
And you actually believe that bs?
Not so

United States

#94 Jan 31, 2013
frenchie wrote:
And you actually believe that bs?
Yes :(
Johhny Bravo

Saint Louis, MO

#95 Jan 31, 2013
There is nothing degrading about an honest days work no matter what you do or how much you make, the problem with working in the rigs is PLANNING, my uncle moved to carrizo in the 80's to work in the rigs and when the oil dried up he moved back to Michigan in the early 90's. Yes he did make good money, ALOT in fact but after it was done he want back to what he was doing before which is no where near the money he was working and now he has lots of physical problems mainly back problems, knee problems, and surgeries for his tendons and ligaments. The point is, this is not something you can do forever, we are not machines, this will take a toll on your body. To those down talking these people, need to stop we all need oil and its honest work and they deserve every penny they get, and for those bragging about how much "better" it is working in the rigs as opposed to having a degree, remember that those with degress have a much more secured future and most are careers that are not physically demanding and will allow us to do this in our 60's and 70's, i dont think many people in the rigs are going to be that old able to still bring in a good income. Point is no one is better than the other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min goonsquad 52,311
News Clerics urge US to end family detention of immi... 3 hr Dee Dee Dee 3
News Texas judge blocks family, medical leave benefi... 6 hr smacken lips 5
News How To Remove Florida Arrest.org And a Dui Mug ... (Jun '11) 19 hr the shield 138
News Abbott stays noncommittal on sending Guard from... Sat Donny Brook 1
News Ted Cruz announces he's running for president Mar 26 Le Duped 110
News Cruz opposes U.S. 'boots on the ground' now to ... Mar 25 swedenforever 32
More from around the web