Texas Hospital May Drop Illegals' Car...

Texas Hospital May Drop Illegals' Care

There are 29 comments on the The Associated Press story from Dec 2, 2007, titled Texas Hospital May Drop Illegals' Care . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

“Any time there's any restriction in access to care, there's pushback from people who are concerned about that”

The University of Texas Medical Branch may stop offering cancer care to indigent and undocumented immigrants in order to cut costs.

The UTMB set aside about $12 million in this year's $1.4 billion annual budget to treat indigent cancer patients, but that isn't enough to meet demand, said Karen Sexton, vice president and CEO of hospitals and clinics at the medical branch.

The medical branch laid off 381 employees last year as it dealt with inflation, state funding cuts and the growing number of Texans without health insurance. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BDC

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Dec 2, 2007
Best choice they could make, now let the rest follow suit...
charlie

Houston, TX

#2 Dec 2, 2007
As it should be.

Since: Oct 07

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 3, 2007
We have many needs for our own citizens. We must not allow illegals to take from our own. The should be sent immediately back to their own countries, they should be fully responsible for their citizens care.

Not one American should be put aside for an illegal. It is obvious that they have been.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#4 Dec 4, 2007
The article clearly states " indigent and undocumented immigrants" in order to cut costs.Did people think when they started all the ranting about illegals that SOMEONE else wouldn't suffer right along with them when the crack downs started?It's against the federal law to deny emergency services to ANYONE ,so all that will happen is E/RS all over will be over loaded .Insurance companies have been cutting back for several years now ,same premiums ,but less care.EVERYTHING costs more now than they did ten years ago and that's not the illegals fault..LPNs/LVNs earn an average annual income of $26,205, which is $1,920 (8%) more than in 2001. Full-time office nurses earn $38,875 per year, or $8,130 (26%) more than two years ago, while part timers average $23,850, or $2,840 (14%) more than in 2001 so any simple minded fool can see when caregivers slaries rise ,the cost to who they work for rises also..not to mention that Physicians make mega bucks ,some even get whats known as a sign on bonus http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2007/10/year-2... ....http://mommd.mediwire.com/ main/Default.aspx?P=Content &ArticleID=105075 ,come on now use your head and brain and THINK about the REAL reasons for higher health costs ,greed plain and simple.

Since: Aug 07

Deer Park/ Friendswood

#5 Dec 4, 2007
The pay raises are related to economics, and supply and demand. There is a difference in demanding a sign on bonus and being offered one as an incentive when there is a scarcity of qualified individuals who can fulfill your position.

Courts ruled that although hospitals/trauma care centers are required to treat all Americans, regardless of their health care coverage, it is unconstitutional to continue doing so for undocumented immigrants who are here illegally. Some hospitals chose to defy the order. Now, after suffering financially for so long, they may simply be following the previous order.
Keri

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Dec 4, 2007
I hope the whole country moves to this. I sat in the hospital waiting room w/ a 104 degree temp for over 8 hours while the whole place filled up w/ immigrants, the hospital provided them translators! they got right in without any problems at all!

Meanwhile, the cost of my care goes up, health insurance costs go up..........

Must be nice to come here totally undocumented and get medical treatment and not even pay for it, and have no reprocussions because you don't have a social security number. If I stole healthcare from the system, my credit would be ruined, and I would get sued..

United States

#8 Dec 5, 2007
Keri wrote:
I hope the whole country moves to this. I sat in the hospital waiting room w/ a 104 degree temp for over 8 hours while the whole place filled up w/ immigrants, the hospital provided them translators! they got right in without any problems at all!
Meanwhile, the cost of my care goes up, health insurance costs go up..........
Must be nice to come here totally undocumented and get medical treatment and not even pay for it, and have no reprocussions because you don't have a social security number. If I stole healthcare from the system, my credit would be ruined, and I would get sued..
Keri, our cost are going up. Someone is made to pay for the health care of the illegals here. It is said that illegal aliens are the number one and in some cases number two issues by voters. We simply can not and WILL NOT continue this madness. They must return to their countries. PERIOD.
ro lo

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Dec 5, 2007
YES SEND THEM BACK I'M SICK OF PAYING FOR WHEN I CAN'T GET THE HELP I NEED

United States

#10 Dec 5, 2007
Collin County grants require some data on patients
Collin County health funds also won't cover illegal immigrants' care; one agency has declined award
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/n...
Martia

Austin, TX

#11 Dec 5, 2007
Betsy Ross wrote:
Collin County grants require some data on patients
Collin County health funds also won't cover illegal immigrants' care; one agency has declined award
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/n...
That is why they go to Parkland and Dallas county wants Collin County to help with the bills. How many yards and roofs do you think are done in Collin County by ILLEGALS or even by legal workers who just happen to have no medical insurance ?

United States

#12 Dec 5, 2007
Martia wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why they go to Parkland and Dallas county wants Collin County to help with the bills. How many yards and roofs do you think are done in Collin County by ILLEGALS or even by legal workers who just happen to have no medical insurance ?
As you and I both might agree Martia, one would be One too many. Did you see this article.? Please wade through the whole thing. There are surprizes.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/irving-tx/TA5...

“Anti-Authoritari an”

Deeply Rooted In East Texas

#13 Dec 6, 2007
Betsy Ross wrote:
<quoted text>Keri, our cost are going up. Someone is made to pay for the health care of the illegals here. It is said that illegal aliens are the number one and in some cases number two issues by voters. We simply can not and WILL NOT continue this madness. They must return to their countries. PERIOD.
ditto

Location hidden

#14 Dec 6, 2007
Under federal law, states are required to establish the citizenship and immigration status of applicants for Medicaid (except emergency Medicaid), SCHIP, TANF and Food Stamps. However, states may not require applicants to provide information about the citizenship or immigration status of any non-applicant family or household member or deny benefits to an applicant because a non-applicant family or household member has not disclosed his or her citizenship or immigration status.

Thus, for example, in the Medicaid program, if benefits are being sought only for the child, the child is considered the "applicant," and the state is required to establish the citizenship and immigration status of the child, but not the child's parents. Further, the state may not deny benefits to the child, if otherwise eligible, because the child's parents have not provided information to establish that they are citizens or qualified immigrants.http://www.hhs.gov/ ocr/nationalorigin/triagency.h tml ....States must comply with the Privacy Act and other federal laws when seeking disclosure of an individual's SSN. Under the Privacy Act,? 7(a), states are prohibited from denying an individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of the individual ' s refusal to disclose his or her social security number (SSN) unless such disclosure is required by federal statute, or the state maintains a system of records in existence and operating before January 1,1975, and the disclosure of the SSN was required under statute or regulation adopted prior to that date to verify the identity of an individual.Illegals are protected by specific civil rights , http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/discrimrace.html

Location hidden

#15 Dec 6, 2007
Martia wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a good point about how many roofs are repaired or yards maintained by illegals .I wonder why no one notices how many hispanics are working on the STATE/County maintained highway repairs contracted out to private companies that use illegals for the cheap labor?

Location hidden

#16 Dec 6, 2007
Tamara S wrote:
The pay raises are related to economics, and supply and demand. There is a difference in demanding a sign on bonus and being offered one as an incentive when there is a scarcity of qualified individuals who can fulfill your position.
Courts ruled that although hospitals/trauma care centers are required to treat all Americans, regardless of their health care coverage, it is unconstitutional to continue doing so for undocumented immigrants who are here illegally. Some hospitals chose to defy the order. Now, after suffering financially for so long, they may simply be following the previous order.
http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/legal info/natlorg-eng.htm

Location hidden

#17 Dec 6, 2007
Tamara S wrote:
Courts ruled that although hospitals/trauma care centers are required to treat all Americans,"should read ALL PEOPLE "

United States

#18 Dec 6, 2007
Cywar wrote:
<quoted text>
ditto
A poll you may find of interest Cywar.
POLL RESULTS
Benefits to Illegals? Overwhelming Majority Don't Think So
http://www.alipac.us/article-2769-thread-1-0....

“Anti-Authoritari an”

Deeply Rooted In East Texas

#19 Dec 7, 2007
Betsy Ross wrote:
<quoted text>A poll you may find of interest Cywar.
POLL RESULTS
Benefits to Illegals? Overwhelming Majority Don't Think So
http://www.alipac.us/article-2769-thread-1-0....
COLUMBUS, OH --(MARKET WIRE)-- 12/05/07 -- As the debate heats up over whether or not the U.S. Government should provide benefits to undocumented immigrants, most Americans agree that it is not good for the country, according to the American Pulse(TM) Survey of 4,069 respondents. The majority of respondents said "No" when asked if they think undocumented immigrants should be given the following: Driver's License (81.7%), Business License (89.3%), Housing Assistance (82.8%), Educational Benefits (76.7%) and Job Training (73.7%).
==========
It seems that "we the people" are agreed. Our overlords just are not listening.

United States

#20 Dec 7, 2007
Cywar wrote:
<quoted text>
COLUMBUS, OH --(MARKET WIRE)-- 12/05/07 -- As the debate heats up over whether or not the U.S. Government should provide benefits to undocumented immigrants, most Americans agree that it is not good for the country, according to the American Pulse(TM) Survey of 4,069 respondents. The majority of respondents said "No" when asked if they think undocumented immigrants should be given the following: Driver's License (81.7%), Business License (89.3%), Housing Assistance (82.8%), Educational Benefits (76.7%) and Job Training (73.7%).
==========
It seems that "we the people" are agreed. Our overlords just are not listening.
That may be why, over and over again, the States and cities are taking charge. I keep hearing, if our Federal Government won't act, we must. We The People will Rule as this is a government Of The People and By The People.

Location hidden

#21 Dec 7, 2007
Betsy Ross wrote:
<quoted text>That may be why, over and over again, the States and cities are taking charge. I keep hearing, if our Federal Government won't act, we must. We The People will Rule as this is a government Of The People and By The People.
All the above looks good and may impress many that do not understand the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,adopted in 1948 and signed by THIS country along with several other nations.Research Article 2 of the declaration of human rights along with article number Article's 25 and 26 .There has to be other more humane and compassionate ways of solving the legal or illegal immigration issues .If we deny anyone else thier basic human rights we must deny our own also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seeking A Lactating Man 51 min Farts of truth 19
News Explore the weight of a border wall along the e... 1 hr Pull finger farts 165
News Texas set to embrace new abortion restrictions 3 hr Red Crosse 10
News Texas revives transgender 'bathroom bill' for p... 3 hr a_visitor 16
News Texas revives transgender 'bathroom bill' for p... 16 hr the keeper of the... 2
News El Paso files "sanctuary cities" lawsuit Fri Food farts 16
News GOP candidate charged with misdemeanor assault ... Fri Laredo 1
More from around the web