U.S. appeals court reinstates most of...

U.S. appeals court reinstates most of Texas' new abortion limits

There are 19 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Oct 31, 2013, titled U.S. appeals court reinstates most of Texas' new abortion limits. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

A federal appeals court on Thursday issued a ruling reinstating most of Texas' tough new abortion restrictions in a decision that means as many as 12 clinics won't be able to perform the procedure starting as soon as Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#1 Oct 31, 2013
Is there a Maine Coon running loose?
Cordwainer Trout

Lexington, KY

#3 Oct 31, 2013
Sometimes life seems so very sweet, which of course it is, yet sometimes more apparent. The proponents of life must not lower their guard because of this seeming victory of reason and right. The dark forces of death continue to viciously prance in the streets; the profiteers of death in Texas may not be quite silenced.

This kind of demon is tenacious. This kind of demon requires much prayer to cast it out of so many hearts already spoiled by their previous murders of beautiful, sweet life.
Robotopic III

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#4 Nov 1, 2013
Halito wrote:
Is there a Maine Coon running loose?
U C Hillaricare nurser 2016 rooomer!!;)
Cordwainer Trout

Lexington, KY

#5 Nov 1, 2013
Awww, shucks! All those vicious, cruel women and abortion providers are going to lose some of their outlets of torture, dismemberment and death. Can't we all hear the wailing and wringing of hands? They're crying out for the mountains to fall on them.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#6 Nov 1, 2013
wow, common sense prevails over the liberal agenda...
there's something you don't see every day!
Dan

Atlanta, GA

#7 Nov 1, 2013
I think when this whole deal is said and done, the crux of any court case is going to rest on whether the state (who issues medical licenses) can regulate medical providers. The answer's probably going to end up (IMO) to be "yes, they can".

As far as PP's argument RE: limiting access-I don't think that the number of providers is at issue legally. I mean, MS, to my knowledge, has had maybe one or two operating. 12 is as good as 32 RE: there's access to it.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#8 Nov 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
I think when this whole deal is said and done, the crux of any court case is going to rest on whether the state (who issues medical licenses) can regulate medical providers. The answer's probably going to end up (IMO) to be "yes, they can".
As far as PP's argument RE: limiting access-I don't think that the number of providers is at issue legally. I mean, MS, to my knowledge, has had maybe one or two operating. 12 is as good as 32 RE: there's access to it.
Texas is not trying to regulate providers they are only trying to use regulations to close as many abortion clinics as they can in order to outlaw as many abortions as they can in the name of regulation.
Jorja

Scottsville, VA

#9 Nov 1, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas is not trying to regulate providers they are only trying to use regulations to close as many abortion clinics as they can in order to outlaw as many abortions as they can in the name of regulation.
I agree. It's a sad day for women in Texas. Extreme beliefs/ideas plus trying to force their religious beliefs onto others thru legislation. It's outrageous and an assumption that women with their families & doctor don't know what the heck their doing. Ken Cuccinelli has these same ideas for Virginia women.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Nov 1, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Awww, shucks! All those vicious, cruel women and abortion providers are going to lose some of their outlets of torture, dismemberment and death. Can't we all hear the wailing and wringing of hands? They're crying out for the mountains to fall on them.
So since you believe a constitutional right can be banned in Texas, then is it okay if California bans religion?

Maybe New York can ban all gun ownership?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Nov 1, 2013
Yet another reason for the women in Texas to start voting for the Dems.

Assuming of course they aren't denied their right to vote by another GOPasaur law.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Nov 1, 2013
Clef Hanger wrote:
I bet democrats are frustrated that they can't get their hands on more dead fetuses.
In the end, that's what it's all about.
No, it's about being prevented from exercising a constitutional right.

This will eventually be back in front of the SCOTUS.
Jorja Fox

Staunton, VA

#14 Mar 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's about being prevented from exercising a constitutional right.
This will eventually be back in front of the SCOTUS.
http://www.newsmax.com/US/Texas-abortion-laws...

Pregnant student Lenzi Sheible has created a travel fund for women in Texas who want abortions in a move to counteract the state’s tough new anti-abortion laws.

"I can't walk around and do this job without keeping in mind that every person's body has its own right, and for me, being pregnant is a choice."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-abortion-la...

NEW ORLEANS -- A federal appeals court heard arguments Monday on whether the state of Texas can enforce a law that led to the closing of several abortion clinics, a case that ultimately appears bound for the U.S. Supreme Court.
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Mar 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's about being prevented from exercising a constitutional right.
This will eventually be back in front of the SCOTUS.
It's not a Constitutional Right; it is not found in the Constitution. In fact, the opposite is found throughout our founding documents. What your silliness would allow is that the Dred Scott decision made slavery Constitutional.

It was a Court decision and continues being Court decisions allowing the travesty against life and compassion itself.
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#16 Mar 13, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a Constitutional Right; it is not found in the Constitution. In fact, the opposite is found throughout our founding documents. What your silliness would allow is that the Dred Scott decision made slavery Constitutional.
It was a Court decision and continues being Court decisions allowing the travesty against life and compassion itself.
She never read the Constitution.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Mar 13, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a Constitutional Right; it is not found in the Constitution. In fact, the opposite is found throughout our founding documents. What your silliness would allow is that the Dred Scott decision made slavery Constitutional.
It was a Court decision and continues being Court decisions allowing the travesty against life and compassion itself.
Only a moron would think the only constitutional rights we have are those specifically mentioned in the constitution.

Do blonds have a constitutional right to vote?
Do women have a constitutional right to get pregnant?
Do catholics have a constitutional right to open a business?

NONE of those things are specifically mentioned in the constitution, so by your logic they aren't constitutional rights.

“ABORTION KILLS A HUMAN BEING”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#18 Mar 13, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Awww, shucks! All those vicious, cruel women and abortion providers are going to lose some of their outlets of torture, dismemberment and death. Can't we all hear the wailing and wringing of hands? They're crying out for the mountains to fall on them.
Aren't they all a train wreck? They don't even think they are killing a human being during abortion! Imagine the ignorance! Bravo Texas!
Donny Brook

Spicewood, TX

#19 Mar 14, 2014
Jorja wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. It's a sad day for women in Texas. Extreme beliefs/ideas plus trying to force their religious beliefs onto others thru legislation. It's outrageous and an assumption that women with their families & doctor don't know what the heck their doing. Ken Cuccinelli has these same ideas for Virginia women.
Then move to a state where killing babies is acceptable. California, Illinois, New York come readily to mind.

“lightly burnt,but still smokin”

Since: Dec 06

in the corner of your mind,

#20 Mar 14, 2014
"Donny Brook" showing that common sense,isn't.
Then move to a state where killing babies is acceptable. California, Illinois, New York come readily to mind.
----------
another mental midget that has confused abortion with infanticide....
Dan

United States

#21 Mar 17, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a moron would think the only constitutional rights we have are those specifically mentioned in the constitution.
Do blonds have a constitutional right to vote?
Do women have a constitutional right to get pregnant?
Do catholics have a constitutional right to open a business?
NONE of those things are specifically mentioned in the constitution, so by your logic they aren't constitutional rights.
There isn't an implied constitutional right RE: the number of facilities that should exist in a given state. I.E abortion is legal. There's nothing express nor implied in that telling anyone how many places it could or should be offered.

States can set their own laws RE: medical practice conducted within their borders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 42 min Long Island Liberal 63,591
News Texas, Red States Join Court Fight to Back Trum... 4 hr Retribution 26
News Why does the Texas criminal code still ban "hom... 4 hr Rainbow Kid 29
News What to watch: Texas isn't alone in rainy day f... 5 hr Fund phartss 1
News ICE arrests father of illegal alien who raped s... 19 hr Hillary got thumped 6
News Arnold Schneider's Best-Performing Stocks 21 hr COLONY in a COUNTRY 2
News Paul Ryan budget proposal threatens housing aid... Tue Alex Wong 141
More from around the web