Gun control debate amid border struggle

Gun control debate amid border struggle

There are 15 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Gun control debate amid border struggle. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Congress may be alarmed by the surge in Mexican drug violence and its potential to spill across the border, but its members grow silent when the talk turns to gun control as a solution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Steve in Holland

Deerfield, IL

#1 Apr 3, 2009
The 90% number being quoted is totally misleading. Of the 29,000 guns seized by the Mexican government in 2007 and 2008, 11,000 were submitted to the BATFE for tracing. Of these, 6000 could be traced, and 5114 were found to be of US origin. That is where the "90%" number comes from (5114/6000). In actuality, less than 18% of gun seized by the Mexican government came from US sources. Old accounting maxim: figures lie and liars figure.
Source:http://www.foxnews.com/ politics/elections/2009/04/02/ myth-percent-guns-mexico-fract ion-number-claimed/

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#2 Apr 3, 2009
They are about the only thing that's still made in the good ol USA.***===
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#3 Apr 3, 2009
Steve in Holland wrote:
The 90% number being quoted is totally misleading. Of the 29,000 guns seized by the Mexican government in 2007 and 2008, 11,000 were submitted to the BATFE for tracing. Of these, 6000 could be traced, and 5114 were found to be of US origin. That is where the "90%" number comes from (5114/6000). In actuality, less than 18% of gun seized by the Mexican government came from US sources. Old accounting maxim: figures lie and liars figure.
Source:http://www.foxnews.com/ politics/elections/2009/04/02/ myth-percent-guns-mexico-fract ion-number-claimed/
And how many of those "US origin" weapons were stamped "US Government Property"...?? Has that ever been released?
air

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Apr 3, 2009
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many of those "US origin" weapons were stamped "US Government Property"...?? Has that ever been released?
And never will
upnorthscott

United States

#5 Apr 3, 2009
From what I have seen reported, the tactic used is throwing a hand grenade just before opening fire. Can't quite remember the last time I saw a hand grenade or full auto weapon for sale around here, maybe the laws are different in Texas? I NEED ONE OF THOSE!!(that was sarcasm)
Anthrax

United States

#6 Apr 3, 2009
No surprise they get quiet when it comes time to turn to gun control. Damn government can't every utilize the simplest solution.

Shoot the bastids. It's that simple. Want to cross our border? Shoot 'em. Want to sell drugs here? Shoot 'em. But no...we have to sit back and ponder "how to handle this" because the gov't doesn't want to resort to the necessary violence. In the meantime people are getting kidnapped and hung from bridges.

Just kill the filth and bury 'em in a mass desert grave. Problem solved. Hand grenades work too.
usawolfncsa3

Earlysville, VA

#7 Apr 3, 2009
upnorthscott wrote:
From what I have seen reported, the tactic used is throwing a hand grenade just before opening fire. Can't quite remember the last time I saw a hand grenade or full auto weapon for sale around here, maybe the laws are different in Texas? I NEED ONE OF THOSE!!(that was sarcasm)
i cant find them at wall-mart either.they must be out of them.[sarcasm off]
JNH

United States

#8 Apr 3, 2009
Send Granholm down there. That scary sight will stop anyone from entering the US!!!!!!
Sassycat

West Branch, MI

#9 Apr 3, 2009
Anthrax wrote:
No surprise they get quiet when it comes time to turn to gun control. Damn government can't every utilize the simplest solution.
Shoot the bastids. It's that simple. Want to cross our border? Shoot 'em. Want to sell drugs here? Shoot 'em. But no...we have to sit back and ponder "how to handle this" because the gov't doesn't want to resort to the necessary violence. In the meantime people are getting kidnapped and hung from bridges.
Just kill the filth and bury 'em in a mass desert grave. Problem solved. Hand grenades work too.
I am with you !!!!! Shoot, shovel and shut up !!!

“XILKA XILKA BESA BESA”

Since: Aug 08

In the desert somewhere

#10 Apr 3, 2009
Classic liberal "deflective" arguments for gun control. Watch and see as the commies levy an enormous tax on ammunition. Save your brass and buy a reloader. Better yet, have your buddies chip in for one so you can have reloading parties, minus the alcohol of course.

And read this;

http://gunowners.org/a040209htm.htm

Since: Mar 09

United States

#11 Apr 3, 2009
not only will the government not protect our border, they try to restrict our right to defend the borders of our own property. criminals dont care if guns are illegal the only people you can disarm with a law are the people who already follow them.

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Since: Jan 09

Grandville, MI

#12 Apr 4, 2009
Mad Mage the Sage wrote:
not only will the government not protect our border, they try to restrict our right to defend the borders of our own property. criminals dont care if guns are illegal the only people you can disarm with a law are the people who already follow them.
I agree, how is banning some kinds of guns in the USA going to curb violence in a neighbor country? If the violence is spilling over to us wouldn't you want to be armed? The answer may be to control what goes over the border, both ways.

“Have a nice day!”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Apr 4, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, how is banning some kinds of guns in the USA going to curb violence in a neighbor country? If the violence is spilling over to us wouldn't you want to be armed? The answer may be to control what goes over the border, both ways.
This is such a tiresome argument isn't it? It's like taking cars off the road because of negligent drivers, or banning alcohol because people drink and drive.
I wonder how many of the drug cartel(or criminals in general) in Mexico have legally purchased firearms.

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Since: Jan 09

Grandville, MI

#14 Apr 4, 2009
mama knows wrote:
<quoted text>
This is such a tiresome argument isn't it? It's like taking cars off the road because of negligent drivers, or banning alcohol because people drink and drive.
I wonder how many of the drug cartel(or criminals in general) in Mexico have legally purchased firearms.
None have them legally most likely. We need to protect our border, no matter how big it is. If my neighbor went on a shooting rampage, would it make sense to take away the whole towns guns? This will continue to happen as long as we do not have good border security. It might be extreem, however put up a fence, landmines, and have the Army use the whole five miles near the border as a shooting range. Anybody would then be crazy to try to smuggle anything across it. Then a legal crossings, check every car that comes across, everywhere. Maybe this would cost alot, however it is becoming a need.
Caffeinated

Glen Ellyn, IL

#15 Apr 4, 2009
Mexico needs to stop worrying about the US, and start concentrating on the drug cartel and it's terrorist ties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News First openly gay Texas A&M student president ho... 2 hr Moral Truth 10
News Chicago has biggest population dip as southern ... 2 hr Jamesey 1
News Chicago has biggest population dip as southern ... 2 hr Silly Season 2
News Undocumented women, desperate to avoid ICE, are... 4 hr wasted time and ... 30
News Paul Ryan budget proposal threatens housing aid... 20 hr WarForOil 116
News Rick Perry accuses Texas A&M's first gay studen... 21 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 6
News North Texas woman reported missing found safe 4... Thu MissingPhartss 1
More from around the web