"The blackest land and the whitest pe...

"The blackest land and the whitest people"

There are 82 comments on the The Big Apple story from Feb 24, 2008, titled "The blackest land and the whitest people". In it, The Big Apple reports that:

Entry in progress. Penniless lexicographer taking a break. - B.P. Wikipedia: Hunt County, Texas Hunt County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. via The Big Apple

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Big Apple.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#65 Jan 18, 2011
kay
RETIRED

El Paso, TX

#66 Jan 18, 2011
Old stupidity being raised as new by some obsessed politician. He's have a blast if he would find the signs on either side of the little community I lived in as a child
They read

"If you are ( a black) don't let the sun set on you in Hope." It didn't read that exactly because they used the derogatory term that the paper won't print the "N' word.

KKK erected them and enforced the rule.
cisco kid

Greenville, TX

#68 Jul 18, 2011
vote for obama
ole gal

Emory, TX

#70 Jan 2, 2012
well do any of you live in this wonderful place ? well racism is so much alive here
Bruce

Greenville, TX

#71 Jan 3, 2012
I live in Greenville and have white neighbors, black neighbors and Hispanic neighbors. We all get along fine. Those who shout racism should look in the mirror. Ask yourself, "Is it really about race or is there something I should do differently AS AN INDIVIDUAL?" If you think Greenville is racist, try living in another community and see if things are better. I doubt they will be.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#72 Jan 3, 2012
I live in Greenville and, yes, there are willfully ignorant people here who refuse to take their racist blinders off and live in the 21st Century. But there are those sorts of individuals everywhere and, having lived here for about 20 years now, I believe the numbers of those who insist on living ignorantly are much lower now than they were when I moved here.
Linebacker

Polkville, NC

#73 Jan 6, 2012
I visited texas. What a beautiful state that has been ruined by Mexican trash and a few Nixxers!
bbaby

United States

#74 Jan 11, 2012
I have a picture of that sign hanging in my den(= it was a gift
wow

Dallas, TX

#75 Jan 11, 2012
bbaby wrote:
I have a picture of that sign hanging in my den(= it was a gift
You sound so proud.
large family

United States

#77 Jun 16, 2012
I have a picture of that sign hanging above the street, from many many years ago. Back in the time when my grand parents owned a cafe down town and the white folks ate up front and the black folks ate in the back.
John

Flower Mound, TX

#78 Mar 18, 2014
You may imply NAACP and La Raza Are race groups but, remember your defensiveness stems from the historic truths, Mexicans and Black weren't lynching whites. It has always been the other way around. Remember too, the Alamo was a battle cry to dishonorable Mexicans that promised to learn the language and swear allegiance to Mexico. Exactly what you want now from immigrants. The treaty of Guadalupe/Hidalgo was an unjust treaty that stole the best parts of the US from Mexico. You can never deport Mexico because you are in it. Read some history, racism is real, and unfortunately the Caucasian's greatest weakness. God bless you hateful heathens scorned by Satan.
Huh

Bluefield, WV

#79 Mar 19, 2014
John wrote:
You may imply NAACP and La Raza Are race groups but, remember your defensiveness stems from the historic truths, Mexicans and Black weren't lynching whites. It has always been the other way around. Remember too, the Alamo was a battle cry to dishonorable Mexicans that promised to learn the language and swear allegiance to Mexico. Exactly what you want now from immigrants. The treaty of Guadalupe/Hidalgo was an unjust treaty that stole the best parts of the US from Mexico. You can never deport Mexico because you are in it. Read some history, racism is real, and unfortunately the Caucasian's greatest weakness. God bless you hateful heathens scorned by Satan.
if lynchings was evil and whites were evil for killing those ni$$ers. What are ni$$ers for killing more in any given year than all lynchings in history? Oh its ok if they kill. And dont forget the muslim brotherhood. La familia, nation of islam.
just another resident

United States

#80 Apr 1, 2014
So "Old Times" if I went to a white Guy and said "that's very white of you" he knows IM saying he did a good job. If I told him "that's very black of u alot of questions will spawn in his head because he thinks i told him very bad of u. Then some would say that phrase ment all black people are bad. To me the sign can be proved in some many ways were its talking about black people.( Possible so lots of cities were racist back then) The black land soil in hunt county's county seat Greenville Tx that's what the sign was about but was it. Bottom line is if its gonna affect certain people than why leave it up so long. Because that's is and will always be this town theme message. Good or bad.
just another resident

United States

#81 Apr 1, 2014
Local dude. Just because the sign been gone doesn't mean nothing. This city will always be the blackest land the whitest people they posted it for decades and now that its gone its still there. Not that Greenville is a prejudice city because every city has some prejudice in it. Prejudice will never die. A coke head who stop doin coke will always be a coke head. Which makes Greenville to slays have that slogan about itself. Nothing wrong wit it at all just depends on who you talk to. The sign may have hurt the city in the 60's - 90's mabe but Greenville is now on the rise of growth in 2014
missing link

San Antonio, TX

#83 May 23, 2014
stfu
Ed Tiawo from Nigeria

Fort Worth, TX

#84 May 24, 2014
Hi, Im a homosexual
Chief

United States

#85 Feb 25, 2015
What was the civil war?
dalewicker

Bonham, TX

#86 Feb 26, 2015
European White People are the best race! The non-White races need to bow down before their masters and adopt White standards for their own good.
Zakiah

Fort Worth, TX

#88 Jun 23, 2015
Bruce wrote:
I live in Greenville and have white neighbors, black neighbors and Hispanic neighbors. We all get along fine. Those who shout racism should look in the mirror. Ask yourself, "Is it really about race or is there something I should do differently AS AN INDIVIDUAL?" If you think Greenville is racist, try living in another community and see if things are better. I doubt they will be.
I live in Greenville also I am melonatated and I've been called a n****r atleast 10 times since I've moved here there is a ex member of the KKK live under me Greenville is very racist, I will be moving soon
Darell

Columbus, OH

#89 Sunday May 29
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you taken aback? It was southern baptist democrats that started the KKK.
And Republicans are now carrying the torch. Let's keep the racism going.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min tina anne 60,095
News Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clini... 1 hr Full Circle Logic 21
News Sharyl Attkisson: Homeland Security Mum on U.S.... 18 hr spud 7
News Supporter waiting for Donald Trump at a campaig... 19 hr Would L 2
News Milestones in legal fight over Texas abortion law 20 hr Cat74 2
News Julian Castro says he's not being vetted for vi... Sun Donald Trump 16
News Neither Candidate Is Getting the Immigration Is... Sun News Monitor 6
More from around the web