tyc/tjjd
JSOTS

College Station, TX

#1 Dec 5, 2011
I'd like some feedback JUST from folks who have worked, or, are currently working for the Texas Youth Commission (now TJJD).

Did you feel Admin was providing as safe of an environment as possible while you were working there?

Did you feel the youth were safe, and being given adequate education/treatment/rehabilita tion?

Were your discriminated against, due to age/race/orientation/gender?

Did you get a sense of being valued as an employee, or were your criticisms and concerns of working conditions "blown off" by your supervisors?

Did you feel the youth were being sent back out into society in better or worse condition than when they arrived?
JCO

Bryan, TX

#2 Dec 18, 2011

Hell yes! I have just about enough to sue the crap out of TJJD now! Working at TJJD is like taking a trip back to 1965 with all the racial discrimination and its not what you think!
Frustrated at Gainesville

Marietta, OK

#4 Feb 26, 2012
JSOTS wrote:
I'd like some feedback JUST from folks who have worked, or, are currently working for the Texas Youth Commission (now TJJD).
Did you feel Admin was providing as safe of an environment as possible while you were working there?
Did you feel the youth were safe, and being given adequate education/treatment/rehabilita tion?
Did you get a sense of being valued as an employee, or were your criticisms and concerns of working conditions "blown off" by your supervisors?
Did you feel the youth were being sent back out into society in better or worse condition than when they arrived?
i have worked worked for tyc now tjjd Gainesville state school for over 7 yrs an every since the incident down south tyc has gone down hill the conextions program is a joke ! Youths get birthday parties,cook outs ,slip an slides ,play station they get to watch tv go on shopping sprees watch tv even if they had neg behavior assault threaten staff .they don't care about points on conextions our security staff can't keep up with all the admits restraints 225 when ever we have a code 1 we have to call the duty an explain why we need a code 1 on a youth an the supervisor decides if a code 1 is allow if not u have to deal with it on the hall 9 out of 10 times u
can't get ahold of supervisor if u do your lucky hopefully u won't get assaulted then if they do come get the youth u have to wait for 225 to fill out on the youth an submit with in 30 min.orbit is counted late u can get 30
min extension on it but then u have to call the security case worker to get another extension god luck on
getting ahold of them then u have constantly try to call a code 3 which is security come pic up paper work
(225) so another 9 times out of 10 the paper work is considered late an doesn't count against youth it looks like
the staff on the dorms fault but really it is security staff an administrations fault first administration won't let us
keep 225 on the dorm then we have to get approval form supervisor we can never find then security staff take
to long to bring us 225 to the dorm an a lot of times they don't come pic them up when we call to come get
225 or they happen to get lost or left in the van so there late an don't count !,, there is also a lot more assaults
on staff because youths are not being held accountable if the assault staff the get loss of privileges can't watch
tv for 3 days these youths are felones are doing the same thing that they did to get put here
assaulting staff peers ,contraband drugs theft vandalism an there punishment for these things are 1 day
loss of tv privileges or make my day assault on staff is a felony bring contraband into a state felony I have seen
the drug dog in our facility in the 7 yrs I have been here a total of 3 times but yet every week we find
cigarettes marijuana pills on the dorms ,as for staff being safe they are not we r getting assaulted every other
day an the youths are getting to stay in security for a day - 3days were they dont have to follow any rules there
either refuse to get searched refuse to follow progrma there is a lot of turn over we are doing 12 every other
day. Can't keep staff veteran are leaving not worth getting hurt new staff get out of training an quit
administration is a joke we have not had a meeting since nov I think because they know that staff have a lot to
say about how unsafe Gainesville is an our super arenever on the dorm helping the jco deal with this
problems I work all the dorms an dif shifts an it is the same all over campus the youth do what they want all
the jco thought when tjjd was put together it would be a correctional facility inot Sumer camp an staff are ones being used as punching bags wehave no support from the management we feel Austin adm.needs to come visit all facilities an talk to all shifts an find out the truth for the safety off staff youths an the community
Gainesville state school

Marietta, OK

#5 Feb 26, 2012
JSOTS wrote:
Adm.doesn't care about jco staff every time we turn around adm.is giving youth more privileges parties electronic games etc more free time even thou the campus had major problems runners assault on staff contraband etc Most of the time youth don't go to school they are out of school for something cold weather construction training for teachers I have Observed when I. Have to go to school to work a lot of the classes watch movies an the youths are talking with each other about contraband gang related stuff cursing teachers an staff I know for a fact that the jco feel like we are just bodies if the adm. Cared about us then they would have stricter rules for these youth they have stripped us of our power an the youths know it that's why they do wat the want Gainesville state school is run like a summer camp for criminals rather than a youth correctional
facility for felones if the community knew what there tax payers money was to they shut I'd down these criminals get more privileges then youths in the community I think the newspaper needs to be told whats going on the public needs to know that these murderer rapist assaultive an robbers are being pampered these youths are doing the same thing in Gainesville state school that got them sent there assaulting staff an peers stealing drugs contraband gangs an related gang hits on staff an youths so when they get released which tyc don't extend there time for these major violations so they can show Austin that we are rehabilitating the youth which is not true they cont the neg behavior that got them sent there an probably even improving there neg behavior so when they get back into society they are doing the same criminal behaviors in the last yr I I have heard of like 5 youths we released from out facility commit murder an we have a lot of recommits a lot of youth say the get a lot more stuff in tyc li,e tv games video stereo electronics friends drugs contraband etc we need to run these facilities as correctional facilities not summer camps there is no accountability for these youth they have stripped jco of our power authority
EX-JCO

Bryan, TX

#6 Jul 17, 2012
Keep your fingers crossed... the kids are starting to ESCAPE now -- check this link:

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/...

Who wants these felons out in society? NOT ME!
What now

Waco, TX

#7 Dec 17, 2012
test
What now

Waco, TX

#8 Dec 17, 2012
What do you do when the youth are beating up the Staff and all they receive 30 days extension or 30 days no " TELEVISION ", or when they youth are sent to segregation for not following the rules, They are sent back to the unit faster than Dominoes can deliver a pizza!, Yes!, there is organized crime in these facilities, Drugs, Hits placed on the JCO, Hits placed on other youth, Yes these units have serious Gang related issues and are getting worse by the day, The "Hug-A-Thug" program is in full swing and running well, In the last 365 days 1 JCO Nose broke, 1 JCO arm broke, 4 JCO Suspended and 3 arrested,1 JCO hit with a dryer door, 1 youth 180lbs beats 130lb female JCO, its a shame when people have to endure this type of abuse to live or make a living to feed their families
Little Elm Tx

Hewitt, TX

#10 Feb 26, 2013
I too worked at Gainesville, I recently quit when my supervisor spoke to me like I was the prisioner. Our JCO VI barely ever worked with us and I never had the opportunity to even have a conversation with her about the way things were done. Everything this person below me said is TRUE!!!!
Frustrated at Gainesville wrote:
<quoted text>
i have worked worked for tyc now tjjd Gainesville state school for over 7 yrs an every since the incident down south tyc has gone down hill the conextions program is a joke ! Youths get birthday parties,cook outs ,slip an slides ,play station they get to watch tv go on shopping sprees watch tv even if they had neg behavior assault threaten staff .they don't care about points on conextions our security staff can't keep up with all the admits restraints 225 when ever we have a code 1 we have to call the duty an explain why we need a code 1 on a youth an the supervisor decides if a code 1 is allow if not u have to deal with it on the hall 9 out of 10 times u
can't get ahold of supervisor if u do your lucky hopefully u won't get assaulted then if they do come get the youth u have to wait for 225 to fill out on the youth an submit with in 30 min.orbit is counted late u can get 30
min extension on it but then u have to call the security case worker to get another extension god luck on
getting ahold of them then u have constantly try to call a code 3 which is security come pic up paper work
(225) so another 9 times out of 10 the paper work is considered late an doesn't count against youth it looks like
the staff on the dorms fault but really it is security staff an administrations fault first administration won't let us
keep 225 on the dorm then we have to get approval form supervisor we can never find then security staff take
to long to bring us 225 to the dorm an a lot of times they don't come pic them up when we call to come get
225 or they happen to get lost or left in the van so there late an don't count !,, there is also a lot more assaults
on staff because youths are not being held accountable if the assault staff the get loss of privileges can't watch
tv for 3 days these youths are felones are doing the same thing that they did to get put here
assaulting staff peers ,contraband drugs theft vandalism an there punishment for these things are 1 day
loss of tv privileges or make my day assault on staff is a felony bring contraband into a state felony I have seen
the drug dog in our facility in the 7 yrs I have been here a total of 3 times but yet every week we find
cigarettes marijuana pills on the dorms ,as for staff being safe they are not we r getting assaulted every other
day an the youths are getting to stay in security for a day - 3days were they dont have to follow any rules there
either refuse to get searched refuse to follow progrma there is a lot of turn over we are doing 12 every other
day. Can't keep staff veteran are leaving not worth getting hurt new staff get out of training an quit
administration is a joke we have not had a meeting since nov I think because they know that staff have a lot to
say about how unsafe Gainesville is an our super arenever on the dorm helping the jco deal with this
problems I work all the dorms an dif shifts an it is the same all over campus the youth do what they want all
the jco thought when tjjd was put together it would be a correctional facility inot Sumer camp an staff are ones being used as punching bags wehave no support from the management we feel Austin adm.needs to come visit all facilities an talk to all shifts an find out the truth for the safety off staff youths an the community
Little Elm Tx

Hewitt, TX

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Nothing has changed at Gainesville State School since 2012. I was hired in 2012 and quit shortly after the begining of the new year. Staff assaults are high there is no real punishment for youth. The youth run the damn place and staff is accountable for what the youth do or don't do. Staff JCO VI's run their dorms however they want and not as we were taught in class. The supervisors do not take the time to work on their dorms let alone train new employees as to their way of doing things (which by the way is different at every dorm). I enjoyed the type of job I had but did not appreciate being talked down to every time my JCO VI decided to be there.
Austin stepped in

Gainesville, TX

#12 Mar 8, 2013
Well, frustrated in Gainesville, Austin stepped in. They cleaned up a little and I assume there will be some more people exiting the building. I think they are getting to the root of the problems. I can see a lot of people are scared and have every right to be. What wasn't told in the stories of each previous/current Gainesville employee. Is how staff was also a problem. They were smuggling in contraband for the kids. The parents are also guilty of this. I hear kids talk about their stashes on the campus grounds. Not in their rooms but other places on the grounds. The dog needs to search the grounds, not the buildings. There she will hit GOLD! Yes it sucks working for unappreciative people. People who you use you as the stepping stones to get to the top but Austin has stepped in yet again. In the time I've been at the facility, I've seen a lot of changes. They are both good and bad. A lot of people were put in positions they were not qualified for. It's one thing to hold a position but it's another to be successful. Now staff is allowed to call a code 1 if they feel the need. No hunting down the security case managers or getting approval. There is still the issue of not having the room.lol When will security grow? Why should it grow? What can we do to tweek the system enough that we are not only successful with code outs but also in maintaining structure and discipline on our dorms? Let's put our heads together and figure it out. Stop complaining about what needs to change and work on doing something to change it. Stop admitting defeat. Don't give up fellow JCOs. Good triumphs over EVIL!
Thinking of applying

United States

#13 Mar 9, 2013
I currently work at the Denton State School but I'm wanting to apply in Gainesville, does staff get stuck on the next shift? How is coverage over there?
Little Elm

Hewitt, TX

#14 Mar 10, 2013
Thinking of applying wrote:
I currently work at the Denton State School but I'm wanting to apply in Gainesville, does staff get stuck on the next shift? How is coverage over there?
yes you do have to cover the next shift, for 4 hours.
Hah

Edinburg, TX

#15 Mar 19, 2013
BS
was at crockett

Humble, TX

#16 Apr 11, 2013
Lol I know wat all yall r sayn its true ... Shit we ran Crockett if u had tyme to do Crockett was da best place to do it... We did whatever we wanted..da bad thing is dat the yr and a half I did made me feel like I didn't have any worries I did whatever I wanted eat sleep and shit... Clean clothes.. Being in tyc messd me up mentally I say dis because if I was to go to jail again I wouldn't care or stress it... Shit dat was da funniest yr and a half I ever had da only thing was missing was a female lol but even in there u had ur ways... That's one thing about yall staff yall have a big part of wat happens in there too..but ay its always da youth.. But it's Gewd to be home... Watz da t.yc # now... Mine started wit 120.. Dat bowski program still around wat did they end up doing wit Crockett... Mann mart 2 is strict f#@k dat place Datz where I discharged frm..tell my boys frm Houston keep they head up...
68Cool

Huntsville, TX

#17 Nov 27, 2013
These posts are incredible! If you any of you have worked in other states, you would appreciate what you do have. Texas pays 30% more, you have dedicated Security Units, Case Managers, on site Nurses and physiologists! I have been in the Juvenile Justice field for 18 years and I finally found a place where I can financially support my family. If people hate TJJD so much, why don't they just quit and go work at Wal-Mart? It's a hard job and stressful, but it is what it is. Does anyone think that working in a Juvenile Correctional Facility should be easy? The reality is that this field is not for everyone. From my experience, it is easier to deal with the youth, than some staff. Adults have complicated personal issues that they like to bring to work. Youth see that weakness and prey on it. Deep down, we all want a role model, someone we can look up to. Someone strong, fair, firm and consistent. We have to be role models, and try to do the best we can, one day at a time. I have a son that is 16 and I hope if he were ever locked up, that someone would treat him like a human being, with respect and discipline him when his deserved it. I work at MCSJCF in Mart, Texas. I have support. The majority of us work hard, each and every day. Don't get me wrong, we do have some knuckle heads, who should not be working with incarcerated youth, but it takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Anyway, once again. I thank God that I have a GREAT job. Someone once told me that out of a million words spoken, if just one can word can make the difference in the life of just one youth, your career has been a success.........
GSSV

Lexington, TX

#18 Mar 6, 2014
68Cool wrote:
These posts are incredible! If you any of you have worked in other states, you would appreciate what you do have. Texas pays 30% more, you have dedicated Security Units, Case Managers, on site Nurses and physiologists! I have been in the Juvenile Justice field for 18 years and I finally found a place where I can financially support my family. If people hate TJJD so much, why don't they just quit and go work at Wal-Mart? It's a hard job and stressful, but it is what it is. Does anyone think that working in a Juvenile Correctional Facility should be easy? The reality is that this field is not for everyone. From my experience, it is easier to deal with the youth, than some staff. Adults have complicated personal issues that they like to bring to work. Youth see that weakness and prey on it. Deep down, we all want a role model, someone we can look up to. Someone strong, fair, firm and consistent. We have to be role models, and try to do the best we can, one day at a time. I have a son that is 16 and I hope if he were ever locked up, that someone would treat him like a human being, with respect and discipline him when his deserved it. I work at MCSJCF in Mart, Texas. I have support. The majority of us work hard, each and every day. Don't get me wrong, we do have some knuckle heads, who should not be working with incarcerated youth, but it takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Anyway, once again. I thank God that I have a GREAT job. Someone once told me that out of a million words spoken, if just one can word can make the difference in the life of just one youth, your career has been a success.........
u must be part of the friends and family plan for TJJD..lol
GSSV

Lexington, TX

#19 Mar 6, 2014
When I applied I felt that Texas would be strict on the criminals young/old, wht/blk/green or purple. I came from the California area were they have 3 strikes...for Christ sake Texas executed a mentally retarded person.. But. Nope..felons get ps3, jco'a get A.I.D.. I don't mind too much as I wouldn't do anything for anyone if these kids..and my niceness comes at letting them make there day..admin is the joke and almost every JCO 6 or higher is more worthless than the weakest "boski's" on the dorms..they will plebargin with the youth but tell everyone else it's in ethical..and the meetings every month!?!? ITS NOT MY JOB TO TELL OTHER JCO's TO COME TO WORK..PER POLICIES ANY! JCO CAN REFFER ANY YOUTH IF THEY DEEM FIT..POLICY SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE NUMBER IF INTERVENTIONS THAT HAVE TO BE DONE...And please understand I have been talked to about my "unprofessional" attitude because I disagreed with administration (without cussing, or yelling mind u). If ur go to work for TJJD please understand the money and benifits are great!! But U WILL be treated like shit by both the youth and higher ups and if u complain about either in meetings u r deemed unprofessional....if u are the "minority" JCO u WILL BE TREATED LIKE SHIT!( minority is the white and Mexican staff)
marcus

Abilene, TX

#21 Mar 29, 2015
i pleaded guilty to 2 counts of agg robbery and 2 counts of participating in org crime. at my adjudication hearing i was given 9-24 months probation. if i do not testify against a codefendent pleading not guilty i will be sent to tjjd. this is my first offense and after being released from jdc i applied at 2 jobs and have passed my only drug test. if i do happen to go to tjjd what type of facility might i be placed in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min Earthling-1 53,996
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 34 min Synque 707
News Immigrant children in Texas detention center gi... 3 hr Donny Brook 1
News The Civil War Is Over: Let The Battle Flag Be (Nov '11) 17 hr Devil in my wifes... 4,029
News Ex-Texas judge charged in revenge porn scheme 22 hr Donny Brook 1
News Under BP Deal, Another $788 Million Will Flow t... Fri Farts 2
News Confederate Controversy: Should schools and str... Fri iaintownedaslave 1
More from around the web