Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64570 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Mar 14

Coorparoo, Australia

#48228 Jun 23, 2014
You have one chance mayhap? This one global civilization? You! Lol. We are the children of God. All and a little bit crazy, this hope. A clever man crawled into a cave and placed pigment on a wall 15000 years ago.

Coorparoo, Australia

#48229 Jun 23, 2014
Go now go hard.

Coorparoo, Australia

#48231 Jun 23, 2014
Let's do like the Israelis do and build a wall around Israel. Isolate. Let's make that wall universal. Isolate the Middle East. Yahweh speak to me now. Stu

Coorparoo, Australia

#48232 Jun 24, 2014
We are all the children of goud. All you need is the breath and the beating of your heart. The young must go. Stu

Coorparoo, Australia

#48233 Jun 24, 2014
This gift
Reported

Chatsworth, CA

#48234 Jun 24, 2014
==========
The US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record

When future generations try to understand how the world got carried away around the end of the 20th century by the panic over global warming, few things will amaze them more than the part played in stoking up the scare by the fiddling of official temperature data. There was already much evidence of this seven years ago, when I was writing my history of the scare, The Real Global Warming Disaster. But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.

When I first began examining the global-warming scare, I found nothing more puzzling than the way officially approved scientists kept on being shown to have finagled their data, as in that ludicrous “hockey stick” graph, pretending to prove that the world had suddenly become much hotter than at any time in 1,000 years. Any theory needing to rely so consistently on fudging the evidence, I concluded, must be looked on not as science at all, but as simply a rather alarming case study in the aberrations of group psychology.

IPCC report: impact of global warming by region
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#48235 Jun 24, 2014
Reported wrote:
==========
The US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record
When future generations try to understand how the world got carried away around the end of the 20th century by the panic over global warming, few things will amaze them more than the part played in stoking up the scare by the fiddling of official temperature data. There was already much evidence of this seven years ago, when I was writing my history of the scare, The Real Global Warming Disaster. But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.
When I first began examining the global-warming scare, I found nothing more puzzling than the way officially approved scientists kept on being shown to have finagled their data, as in that ludicrous “hockey stick” graph, pretending to prove that the world had suddenly become much hotter than at any time in 1,000 years. Any theory needing to rely so consistently on fudging the evidence, I concluded, must be looked on not as science at all, but as simply a rather alarming case study in the aberrations of group psychology.
Psst here's the deal.. put up for cool cash.. huh?

The $10,000 Global Warming Skeptic Challenge!

1. I will award $10,000 of my own money to anyone that can prove, via the scientific method, that man-made global climate change is not occurring;

2. There is no entry fee;

3. You must be 18 years old or older to enter;

4. Entries do not have to be original, they only need to be first;

5. I am the final judge of all entries but will provide my comments on why any entry fails to prove the point.

P.S. Keating says he is more than willing to pay the money but doesn't believe it will happen, "I'm a scientist and I have to go where the science leads me. I have been studying climate change for a long time and I am certain my money is safe. They are in the business of denial and deception, not science. But, if someone could give me a scientific proof global warming isn't real, it would be worth the money."

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#48236 Jun 24, 2014
Reported wrote:
==========
Yet another member of the cult of stupid jumps in to prove the point.
Fair Game wrote:
Is any one of you denier idiots actually going to argue that ignoring this factor gives a more accurate picture of how temperatures have changed?
No, as usual you will run away from any real discussion of the science involved like frightened rabbits, but come back later with more baseless accustions like vicious weasels.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#48237 Jun 24, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they wete.
To correct for the fact that the time of observation was changed from a warm time of day to a cool one.
Are you going to argue that that correction should not have been made?
Yep, they will hang their hat on anything that denies global warming! What else can one expect from the party of no? It is easy to be against; if you don't have to give support to your gestations.
Scott

Los Angeles, CA

#48238 Jun 24, 2014
Reported wrote:
==========
the 1930's were hot! Great post.
Sexy Cali Girl

Corona Del Mar, CA

#48239 Jun 24, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another member of the cult of stupid jumps in to prove the point.
<quoted text>
You need to look at the raw data from the 1930's. It's undeniable. Do a little research. I did and I'm blond.
Thinking Progressive

Corona Del Mar, CA

#48240 Jun 24, 2014
Scientists at two of the world’s leading climate centres - NASA and NOAA - have been caught out manipulating temperature data to overstate the extent of the 20th century "global warming".

The evidence of their tinkering can clearly be seen at Real Science, where blogger Steven Goddard has posted a series of graphs which show "climate change" before and after the adjustments.

When the raw data is used, there is little if any evidence of global warming and some evidence of global cooling. However, once the data has been adjusted - ie fabricated by computer models - 20th century 'global warming' suddenly looks much more dramatic.

This is especially noticeable on the US temperature records. Before 2000, it was generally accepted - even by climate activists like NASA's James Hansen - that the hottest decade in the US was the 1930s.

As Hansen himself said in a 1989 report:

In the U.S. there has been little temperature change in the past 50 years, the time of rapidly increasing greenhouse gases — in fact, there was a slight cooling throughout much of the country.

However, Hansen subsequently changed his tune when, sometime after 2000, the temperatures were adjusted to accord with the climate alarmists' fashionable "global warming" narrative. By cooling the record-breaking year of 1934, and promoting 1998 as the hottest year in US history, the scientists who made the adjustments were able suddenly to show 20th century temperatures shooting up - where before they looked either flat or declining.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#48241 Jun 24, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What else can one expect from the party of no?
another tell-tale sign that it's all about politics and NOT SCIENCE with the alarmists.
http://blog.heartland.org/2014/06/climate-cha...

"the green troll"

#48242 Jun 24, 2014
Thinking Progressive wrote:
Scientists at two of the world’s leading climate centres - NASA and NOAA - have been caught out manipulating temperature data to overstate the extent of the 20th century "global warming".
The evidence of their tinkering can clearly be seen at Real Science, where blogger Steven Goddard has posted a series of graphs which show "climate change" before and after the adjustments.
When the raw data is used, there is little if any evidence of global warming and some evidence of global cooling. However, once the data has been adjusted - ie fabricated by computer models - 20th century 'global warming' suddenly looks much more dramatic.
This is especially noticeable on the US temperature records. Before 2000, it was generally accepted - even by climate activists like NASA's James Hansen - that the hottest decade in the US was the 1930s.
In the U.S. there has been little temperature change in the past 50 years, the time of rapidly increasing greenhouse gases — in fact, there was a slight cooling throughout much of the country.
However, Hansen subsequently changed his tune when, sometime after 2000, the temperatures were adjusted to accord with the climate alarmists' fashionable "global warming" narrative. By cooling the record-breaking year of 1934, and promoting 1998 as the hottest year in US history, the scientists who made the adjustments were able suddenly to show 20th century temperatures shooting up - where before they looked either flat or declining.
And yet another member of the cult of stupid ducks the question.
Fair Game wrote:
The correction was for a well documented shift in time of observation from a warm time of day to a cool one.
Is any one of you denier idiots actually going to argue that ignoring this factor gives a more accurate picture of how temperatures have changed?
No, as usual you will run away from any real discussion of the science involved like frightened rabbits, but come back later with more baseless accustions like vicious weasels.
Run rabbits, run rabbits. run, run, run!

"the green troll"

#48243 Jun 24, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>another tell-tale sign that it's all about politics and NOT SCIENCE with the alarmists.
LOL.

Love the way you idiots blame Obama for Iraq.

As if you weren't warned back in 2003 that invading would lead to civil war.

It's all Obama's fault for getting out too soon!

Should have thrown a few more hundred US lives at it, a few more thousand maybe, then it would have been all right. </sarcasm>

And Tim Ball on global warming? He's currently getting his pants sued off for the lies he told.

Authoritarians just love lapping up the lies they're fed!

Location hidden

#48244 Jun 24, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>another tell-tale sign that it's all about politics and NOT SCIENCE with the alarmists.
Cause that is the only thing you understand. It does no good to present scientific evidence to you deniers. The only thing you present is what the RW talking heads and think tanks put out. For example; your reference to Heartland

Location hidden

#48245 Jun 24, 2014
What misrepresentation of facts. Here you try to tell us that the USA is the whole globe.

Every measuring instrument must be adjusted to represent conditions.
For example, even a mercury thermometer must be calibrated before each use to give the most accurate data. This carping about adjusted data is nothing more than a red herring.
SpaceBlues

Cypress, TX

#48246 Jun 24, 2014
Sexy Cali Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to look at the raw data from the 1930's. It's undeniable. Do a little research. I did and I'm blond.
You just discovered them, LOL.

Now back to the deal above..$ 10K!

Put up for cool cash..
SpaceBlues

Cypress, TX

#48247 Jun 24, 2014
Aww who should analyze the data? You?

LOL drop your name; neither thinking nor progresive.

By the way.. submit your skeptism for a $ 10K award..

President Schedule

Corona Del Mar, CA

#48248 Jun 24, 2014
Is Global Warming a priority for our president? Not yesterday. He must not buy into the fake urgency or hype.
==========
10:00 AM
The President and Vice President receive the Presidential Daily Briefing
Oval Office
Closed Press
1:40 PM
The President delivers remarks at the White House Summit on Working Families
The Omni Shoreham Hotel
Open to pre-credentialed media
2:10 PM
The President participates in a roundtable discussion at the White House Summit on Working Families
The Omni Shoreham Hotel
Pool Spray at the Top

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News President Trump Wants the U.S. Military to Patr... 36 min Wisdom of Ages 361
texas women smell of fart (Nov '09) 10 hr FART TRICK 148
News Waco on guard after biker gang shootout leaves ... (May '15) 23 hr FART DAVIDSON 22
News Arizona, Texas send 400 troops to border after ... Sat FART SPECIAL 91
Mothers Day Fathers Day & More Check It Out Apr 21 FART MOBILE 2
News Huntsville Area Residents Arrested in Drug Cons... (Oct '12) Apr 21 FART MOBILE 14
Legal Definition of "Mexican National" (May '08) Apr 20 FART PLUMBING 148