Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,728
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#33137 Dec 17, 2012
If there were a hint of intelligence with cricket, we could simply say what talent wasted.

Nah. Never.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#33138 Dec 17, 2012
cricket wrote:
Oh yes I forgot......
You forgot to get mathematics & science courses & graduate with degrees.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#33139 Dec 17, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
We need to be patient with those with an agenda. Science and reality have a way of becoming mainstream.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#33140 Dec 17, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
That response was to the anon proxy troll "PHD," not you.
As for our convo re: Chinese characters, that's been confined to a very narrow issue - their capacity (or otherwise) as a society to innovate.
I have seen no reason offered thus far to revise my view that no one need fear being "out-innovated" by China for the forseeable future. They do not innovate - they steal IP and imitate.
Now as for my "liking" the Chinese or not, you are drawing a premature conclusion based upon far too sketchy data.
I've lived in China for many years. I find the Chinese people and some aspects of modern China admirable. But I don't think Topix offers a canvas big enough to take on the vast discussion you're now proposing, of foreign influences on the last 200 years of Chinese history (the most prominent, by far, of course being Japan).
Thanks. Fascinating.

I'll be brief:

1. England.
2. USSR.
3. USA.
4. Japan.

The great wall wins the admirable mention in my view.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33142 Dec 18, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
That response was to the anon proxy troll "PHD," not you.
As for our convo re: Chinese characters, that's been confined to a very narrow issue - their capacity (or otherwise) as a society to innovate.
I have seen no reason offered thus far to revise my view that no one need fear being "out-innovated" by China for the forseeable future. They do not innovate - they steal IP and imitate.
Now as for my "liking" the Chinese or not, you are drawing a premature conclusion based upon far too sketchy data.
I've lived in China for many years. I find the Chinese people and some aspects of modern China admirable. But I don't think Topix offers a canvas big enough to take on the vast discussion you're now proposing, of foreign influences on the last 200 years of Chinese history (the most prominent, by far, of course being Japan).
So COMMANDER TROLL what's your next move?
PHD

Overton, TX

#33143 Dec 18, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
The ones with that mathematics & science courses and graduates with degrees failed American Ind. and the Banking system.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33144 Dec 18, 2012
A recent article in the New York Times noted that many of the most prominent high tech entrepreneurs were dropouts, including Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, and the founders of Twitter and Tumblr. Two years ago Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal, started a fellowship program to pay young entrepreneurs $100,000 to drop out, giving a nudge to a budding anti-college movement.

Wichita, KS

#33145 Dec 18, 2012
PHD wrote:
A recent article in the New York Times noted that many of the most prominent high tech entrepreneurs were dropouts, including Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, and the founders of Twitter and Tumblr. Two years ago Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal, started a fellowship program to pay young entrepreneurs $100,000 to drop out, giving a nudge to a budding anti-college movement.
Does that mean that one does not need to know much to start a computer business?
PHD

Overton, TX

#33146 Dec 18, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean that one does not need to know much to start a computer business?
If you have to ask than you would need to know more.
Patriot

Erie, CO

#33147 Dec 18, 2012
New IPCC Climate Fraud Evidence Leaked Along with Geoengineering Admissions

http://theintelhub.com/2012/12/17/new-ipcc-cl...

Wichita, KS

#33148 Dec 18, 2012
Patriot wrote:
New IPCC Climate Fraud Evidence Leaked Along with Geoengineering Admissions
http://theintelhub.com/2012/12/17/new-ipcc-cl...
Good grief! Another ditto.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33149 Dec 18, 2012
Good grief another dodo.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#33150 Dec 18, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. Fascinating.
I'll be brief:
1. England.
2. USSR.
3. USA.
4. Japan.
The great wall wins the admirable mention in my view.
Valid contenders, though I would rank-order them quite differently. The Sino-Japanese Wars certainly have to place Japan as the #1 foreign influence on China, I think. Japanese humiliation of the Qing Dynasty in the First Sino-Japanese War led directly to the 1911 revolution in China - and having some 20 million or more of your population massacred by a foreign invader (as China did in the Second Sino-Japanese War) certainly has to be regarded as a foreign influence with lasting consequences - as we are seeing today ...

England? I suppose - three Opium Wars must count for something as an influence.

You've left out France and Germany, however. They are as deserving of a place on the list as your others.

And the US? Trivial, really - the US would be on any nations list of primary foreign influences. We've certainly been China's biggest sucker of a rich sweet-heart sugar-daddy rube, being ripped off by both Chiang Kai Shek's Nationalist crooks and the current mob of bandits.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#33151 Dec 18, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So COMMANDER TROLL what's your next move?
Troll. Ignored.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#33152 Dec 18, 2012
phdudd wrote:
It's moving so fast you might fall of that flat edge.
Now, I see why toxic topix AGW deniers don't believe sea level will rise. As Greenland & Antarctic Ice Sheets melt, the water just falls off the flat edge, due to the Earth rotation. Thank you for clarifying that point.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#33153 Dec 18, 2012
phdudd wrote:
The ones with that mathematics & science courses and graduates with degrees failed American Ind. and the Banking system.
No, The failing of recent america was the scam artists with the re-pubic-lick-un business degrees, who thought positioning themselves close to the money could isolate them from their worst follies for america. & generally, that was true. The ones that really dumped america, got away with lots of money, which IS ISOLATING THEMSELVES FROM the rest of america's tragedies.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33154 Dec 19, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll. Ignored.
Hay when you respond your not ignoring. Sorry you’re another one that attended the one child left behind program. So that would again make you the commander TROLL!!
PHD

Overton, TX

#33155 Dec 19, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
No, The failing of recent america was the scam artists with the re-pubic-lick-un business degrees, who thought positioning themselves close to the money could isolate them from their worst follies for america. & generally, that was true. The ones that really dumped america, got away with lots of money, which IS ISOLATING THEMSELVES FROM the rest of america's tragedies.
The ones with that mathematics & science courses and graduates with degrees including business degrees, failed American Ind. and the Banking system. Blue Dogs included.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#33156 Dec 19, 2012
Plain Jane wrote:
For the non-readers here, global warming causes extreme weather. It gets hotter in some places and much colder in others. The Gulf stream is slowing due to the cold fresh water being dumped by glacier melt and we are losing it's warming effects on the eastern seaboard of the US and the west coasts of Britain and Europe. Scoff all you like. You are only showing your complete lack of literacy on the issue.
I concur. That is why there has been a shift toward calling it "Global Climate Change." The term "Global Warming" is vastly misunderstood by the general populace. Yet we see its effects across the globe, and they will only intensify because the effects are synergistic. Anyone who owns property in coastal regions should be VERY concerned. In another 100 years, or perhaps sooner, Florida and Texas will be gone.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#33157 Dec 19, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
An attempt by climate sceptics to hijack the latest UN report on global warming by selectively leaking claims that it is caused by sunspots rather than man-made emissions of carbon dioxide has backfired.
Sceptics described the forthcoming report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as a “game changer” because of its apparent support for the controversial theory that solar activity, interacting with cosmic rays from deep space, can explain global warming.
Alec Rawls, a Republican blogger in the United States who signed himself up as an expert IPCC reviewer, decided to leak the panel’s Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) on the grounds that it is a taxpayer-funded document.
Mr Rawls claimed the report suggests that the IPCC has finally come round to the idea that solar activity – sunspots – is partly responsible for the observed global temperatures rise seen over the past half century.
However, climate scientists pointed out that Mr Rawls has selectively quoted from the draft report and has ignored other parts of the document stating that solar activity and cosmic rays cannot explain the increase in global temperatures seen over the past half century, as sceptics have repeatedly claimed.
The AR5 draft report states that although there is “some evidence” that solar activity combined with cosmic rays may influence the formation of clouds, and therefore temperatures, but the phenomenon is “too weak” to influence the climate in any significant way.
The other major problem with the sunspots idea is that solar activity has largely flat-lined over the past 50 years, whereas average global temperatures have continued to rise, the IPCC report says.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/clim...
An excellent post. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Militias complicate situation on Texas border 1 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 234
Perry criticizes Mexico's effort to secure border 3 hr Guess Who 14
Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americ... 3 hr barefoot2626 26
Body of Texas sheriff's deputy found in lake 4 hr paddyomalley 1
why do mexican women have big fat nasty bigfoot... (Oct '11) 20 hr jts 3
Kennedy Assassination Was Probably Japan's Cons... (Nov '11) Fri fukuda 10
Perry 'double-dipping' raises questions (Dec '11) Fri Bill 25
•••

Texas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE