Texas Auto Insurance Increase Takes E...

Texas Auto Insurance Increase Takes Effect

There are 40 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Texas Auto Insurance Increase Takes Effect. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

The state of Texas upped the minimum amount of required auto insurance beginning Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jasco

United States

#1 Apr 1, 2008
AT last the true rulers of the universe. The insurance companies. hisssss. Along with the Medical companies..HisSsssssssssssss Anyone who thinks Im playing is wrong. The oil companies dont. The Insurance and Medical companies rule the world, the oil companies only supply them.
Who do you think owns the politicians. Oil, is the fall guy. dont get me wrong they are out to get what they can but true power comes to those who are silent.
RHINO Texas

United States

#2 Apr 2, 2008
OK how about insted of an increase we make every one with out insurance get some ? I watch as every thing increase's while my income does not. I think the worst thing is being on a fixed income and decieding if it's food, medication or insurance this month. We got our raise and it was small because we were told every thing is great. The next thing you know the econamy goes south. So the question is when are we going to see some relief in the form of any thing ?
howard

Carrollton, TX

#3 Apr 2, 2008
It's ironic, one out of three cars on Dallas highways is not carrying insurance or drivers with a valid drivers license. And these are the people that put us most in risk.
I was hit by someone without insurance and a valid drives license,with an outstanding warrant for the same offense and the Dallas Police let her drive away , What? Enforcement is the real problem uninsured drivers and we pay for that!
LINDA

Whippany, NJ

#4 Apr 2, 2008
I AGREE. I'M A SINGLE PARENT WITH ONE INCOME AND I DON'T HAVE CABLE, HAVE MINIMUM FOR A HOME PHONE LINE AND HAD TO CANCEL MY TRASH PICKUP TO MAKE ENDS MEET. THE OIL COMPANIES DON'T GIVE A "S***T" ABOUT US HARD WORKING CLASS OF PEOPLE AND NEITHER DOES THE GOVERNMENT, BECAUSE WHEN WE GET THE MONEY FROM THE IRS IN MAY/JUNE WE HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON IT NEXT YEAR, AND GUESS WHERE THAT MONEY IS GOING TO GO ON, CREDIT CARDS,GAS CARDS AND OTHER BILLS WE HAVE TO PAY. THERE'S MORE THEFTS OF GASOLINE, SHOPLIFTINGS, AGGRAVATED ASSAULTS AND ROBBERIES BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY TODAY.

Since: Mar 08

Crowley, TEXAS

#5 Apr 2, 2008
It will all make a complete circle just as it has in the past 2 decades... As prices get higher, sooner or later, the minimum wage level will increase. When companies start making less profit, they will start raising their prices again. Over the last 2 decades, this has been the same. This time, it will sting a little...

“Why not !!!”

Dallas Texas

#6 Apr 2, 2008
That's like a really low amount. Is that liability coverage? I have way more than that now and it is not much more than what she pays.

“Why not !!!”

Dallas Texas

#8 Apr 2, 2008
howard wrote:
It's ironic, one out of three cars on Dallas highways is not carrying insurance or drivers with a valid drivers license. And these are the people that put us most in risk.
I was hit by someone without insurance and a valid drives license,with an outstanding warrant for the same offense and the Dallas Police let her drive away , What? Enforcement is the real problem uninsured drivers and we pay for that!
I can say now they are really working on it. I don't know how long ago your accident was but now...it won't happen. They are towing vehicles that do not have insurance if you are pulled over or involved in an accident. The days of fake insurance cards are over as well. Dallas, DeSoto and Irving are the cities I know have the laws about financial responsibility.
elizabeth

Burleson, TX

#9 Apr 2, 2008
This is Sooooo wrong.
What is wrong with this world.
First Gas then insurance.
JUST STOP!!!!!
Skimaxx

United States

#10 Apr 2, 2008
Another example of how your government works against the working man.....
Scott

New York, NY

#11 Apr 2, 2008
They know how to squeeze every dime out of you, I think people need to start petitions and just let the government know how fed up people are with Gas and now insurance prices. Take it to our local government, then go bigger as we need to.
Susan

United States

#12 Apr 2, 2008
So what happens when they stop making money off us little people? Who will they hit up then when we have all lost our homes, cars and the ability to make it.
Have they given that any thought? I doubt greed is the problem here and it is for the people already and have and not for those of us trying to make an earnest living. It is slowly being stolen from us. We never get to vote on what more taxes and increases we have to absorb we just get told do it or pay the fines for not being insured or for loosing jobs.
I'm one frustrated person among many.
Les Claypool

United States

#13 Apr 2, 2008
Legalized extortion.
Scott

New York, NY

#14 Apr 2, 2008
Of course, and you ever tried to get money from your insurance, they love you while your paying your insurance, something happens and you got to use some insurance money, they will duck, weave, dodge, until you basically force them to give it to you.
But yeah government is the same way they love you while your paying your tax and love you even more if you have to pay a fine for not paying your taxes. It's how can they get more money out of us to fix up the debt that the government gets into. But they are not willing to bail anyone else out that gets into debt.
A MAD MEXICAN-AMERICAN

Grand Prairie, TX

#15 Apr 2, 2008
I am with you SCOTT, But make sure on our way to the LOCAL GOVERNMENT we dont run a yellow light. If we do they will mail us a traffic ticket. Then we have to pay a fine.($75.00) I think thats b u l l s h i t.
Scott wrote:
They know how to squeeze every dime out of you, I think people need to start petitions and just let the government know how fed up people are with Gas and now insurance prices. Take it to our local government, then go bigger as we need to.
dallasmtggal

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 2, 2008
its about time that this went into affect. The standard minimums in TX do not even begin to cover the expenses on a major accident. Let alone something that causes a life-long injury.
Double Agent

Killeen, TX

#17 Apr 2, 2008
This new law will not affect responsible insureds. Anyone carrying 20/40/15 is one bad accident away from financial disaster. Why risk it just to save $10 a month?
Harry Steger

United States

#18 Apr 2, 2008
Lower insurance costs can be achieved by the following. Insuring company notifies the state (name and
license number) when policy lapses due to nonpayment i.e. Takes out 6 or 12 month policy, makes first payment to get insurance card,then pays no more. State notifies
person that their license will be suspended if proof of insurance is not received by the state from person OR new company in 30 days. If license is suspended, person must be in SR22 program. Driving without license penalties should be increased severely.

“Why not !!!”

Dallas Texas

#19 Apr 2, 2008
Double Agent wrote:
This new law will not affect responsible insureds. Anyone carrying 20/40/15 is one bad accident away from financial disaster. Why risk it just to save $10 a month?
You are right and I do agree. It's just that a lot of people can't afford another 10.00. After gas and everything that has gone up I can understand. However, if the 10.00 will not hurt you....they should have had a higher amount already.

Dallas, TX

#20 Apr 2, 2008
Harry Steger wrote:
Lower insurance costs can be achieved by the following... Driving without license penalties should be increased severely.
On one hand, I totally agree.

On the other, I'm only 10 days away from my own policy lapsing after years of never missing a payment. Why? Because coming up with that money means my children don't eat. Why? Because I can't get assistance due to the fact that I have a job. I don't make enough to pay my rent - eviction is also just weeks away.

So what do you do? I'm struggling to find someone to LOAN me the money to keep my policy in effect, since I can't afford an unisured accident, a ticket or having my car impounded. I don't WANT to be one of those irresponsible drivers.

But what do I tell my kids when they just want something to eat? "It's more important to have insurance on the car than it is to have food on your plate." It sounds like a cop-out, but it's not. Sometimes that choice is real.

I guess there's always that homeless shelter... at least they'll feed us there. And if it gets too dangerous living there, my car would be insured... I guess we could live in that.

I'm all for responsibility. But where do the increases stop? Some people are honestly trying... and still can't make it, no matter what.
Everyday Worker

United States

#21 Apr 2, 2008
I have never had a wreck and only one ticket in the past 30 years and my insurance is so expensive now I can barely afford the policy. What is wrong when people who work hard all their life and now cannot afford to drive to work with the price of gasoline and insurance?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Brief: Who will pay for criminal justice re... Tue jum 1
News Backlash in Texas over anti-LGBT bill begins wi... Jan 12 Phyllis Schlafly ... 4
News GOP again eyes sanctuary cities ban due to poli... Jan 11 anotherview 3
News Once again, the Texas Legislature is mostly whi... Jan 9 Jim 1
News New Texas bathroom bill may spark North Carolin... Jan 8 Frogface Kate 21
News Rick Perry's Texas giveaways: There's something... Jan 6 jim 1
News How Mumps And Measles Will Put Texas At Center ... Jan 4 Pharma Pays 1
More from around the web