Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee

Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee

There are 196 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 2, 2007, titled Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

The pharmacy sting that led to the arrests of Williamson County, TN Sheriff Ricky Headley and three others highlights a drug problem that some law-enforcement officials say is growing - the illegal distribution ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

nurse practitioner

Savannah, TN

#95 Sep 15, 2007
Carol wrote:
I have a sister addicted to prescription morphine. She goes to a pain clinic in Morristown, TN. They prescribe her 100mg 4 times a day of morphine. Yes, this is not a typo she takes 400mg of morphine a day. I have not found a medical Dr. who agrees with this treatment. The pain clinic Dr. is an anasthesiologist. They are killing my sister but she wont go off of them because she is now a morphine addict. How do you convince an addict they don't need them espicially when the Dr. gives them to her. She is only 53 yrs. old if she lives another year I'll be surprised and I will blame the doctor at the pain clinic.
Call the office and leave an anonymous tip at the desk about your sister and maybe they will take a closer look when she comes in for refills, I know I would.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#96 Sep 17, 2007
anna newport tn wrote:
to former nurse i agree with some of what you said but nurse and docters you should walk a mile in parents shoes that have lost there sons and daughters to drugs menthadone.you want know how my son got hooked on methadone good old cocke county baptist hospital up here newport tn he was told start taken it.to get off another drug its worse then one he was on im glad your former nurse
Cocke County Baptist Hospital does not prescribe drugs. Tell it the way it really is...
perkoset

Ness Ziona, Israel

#97 Sep 28, 2007
Helping uncle

Kingsport, TN

#99 Oct 2, 2007
My uncle had Knee replacement surgery and the doc in Morristown wanted to prescribe him the heavy stuff(as he says) and he doesn't want it. Does anyone have the names of doctors of the Pain Clinics in Morristown that don't go overboard, trying to help my uncle and I don't know much about all these hard drugs and he doesn't either so I'm trying to find out as much as I can.
yours truly

United States

#100 Oct 5, 2007
it is so hard to measure pain. if you don't treat it you get reported to insurance organizations and the medical board. if you do treat it you get ridiculed and harassed. what is the answer?
Read This Debbie

United States

#101 Oct 7, 2007
God to the website, google up Myrtle Beach Massacre Dr. Benjamin Moore. You will see why docs don't want to prescribe pain meds. And to Debbie, Dr. Chavin and Foster have infested Hamblen, Morristown, Grainger, Sneedville, and Claiborne Counties with Oycontin, methatdone, Xanax, etc, and kid are overdosing and dying
anna tucker

AOL

#102 Nov 6, 2007
maggie mae wrote:
<quoted text>
Cocke County Baptist Hospital does not prescribe drugs. Tell it the way it really is...
I DID'NT SAY THEY PRESCRIBE IT TO HIM THEY TOLD HIM TO TAKE METHADONE TO GET OFF OTHER DRUGS.BUT THEY FORGOT TO TELL HIM HOW HARD METHADONE IS TO GET OFF OF.

“It's Always Somethin'”

Since: Jul 07

Morristown

#103 Nov 6, 2007
Carol wrote:
I have a sister addicted to prescription morphine. She goes to a pain clinic in Morristown, TN. They prescribe her 100mg 4 times a day of morphine. Yes, this is not a typo she takes 400mg of morphine a day. I have not found a medical Dr. who agrees with this treatment. The pain clinic Dr. is an anasthesiologist. They are killing my sister but she wont go off of them because she is now a morphine addict. How do you convince an addict they don't need them espicially when the Dr. gives them to her. She is only 53 yrs. old if she lives another year I'll be surprised and I will blame the doctor at the pain clinic.
Carol,
First of all, have you ever considered that your sister is killing herself? Second, can you please give me the name of that clinic in Morristown? I was just released from a clinic here in Knoxville because I didn't have enough of one of my painkillers in my system. Was I selling them? No, I need them for myself too much. But I also suffer from narcolepsy, so I have to be really careful as to what I take and when I take it. I have to hold down a 40 hour a week job plus do all I can to earn money. I am single and my house is in foreclosure for the second time this year. Some people might not even blame me if I did sell some of my pills because I would be doing it to keep a roof over my head. I got my discharge letter on the day I was going to get my prescription refills. I was left to go cold turkey with only form letters to give me any information about where to go next. The people at that pain clinic do not give a rat's rear end if I die from the withdrawal which I have definitely suffered from for a week now. It's been all I can do to handle the situation. I have the pain from my back injury (car wreck), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue sydrome, myfascial build-up along with the narcolepsy. At 1:30 this morning I woke up and I couldn't be still in the bed. I had to get up because all of my limbs were moving around and I was unable to rest. I made it back to sleep around 3:30, and at 6, it was time to get up for work.
Could you do a full day's work knowing that you might have an anxiety attack or you might throw up because you can't eat at lunch? What if your skin and muscles were crawling so much you couldn't sit still at work even though you have a desk job?
I'm glad you're pain free. More power to you. But again, like most people on here have said, "Walk a mile in our moccassins".
Any of you out there that can recommend a pain clinic to me, please do so... And Mr. Doctor in Alabama...at 2 am this morning, I would have been more than willing to get in my car and drive to your office just for a little relief.
How can pharmacists, doctors and our congresspeople deserve to tell us how we are supposed to live? I thought this was America, too.
Carol, you only think you have a clue.
johnboy

AOL

#104 Nov 18, 2007
The perscription problem here in Tennessee is mearly the reflection of a greater problem threw the whole society. people seem to think just because you get it from your pharmcy it cannot be bad for you. the popular reason for people to abuse perscription pills is because they seem think that there is no down side to taking the medication because its from a pharmacy. What people dont seem to understand is that these pain pills are made from powerful drugs like morphine and can be highly addictive. THE MAIN PROBLEM IS, WE SEEM TO THINK WE CAN SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS BY THROWING MEDICATION AT IT. Legitimate reasons for it aside.
yvette

Johnson City, TN

#105 Dec 3, 2007
pain medication has given my life back. I am capable now of living an active lifestyle rather than lying in bed or on the sofa hurting all day. Doctors are trained in prescribing medicines to help their patients lead comfortable lives, I dont think it is fair to single a few of them out , print their name and then disrespect them. it isn't the doctors fault that patients mislead, lie and get into clinics only to get high.
yvette

Johnson City, TN

#106 Dec 3, 2007
Read This Debbie wrote:
God to the website, google up Myrtle Beach Massacre Dr. Benjamin Moore. You will see why docs don't want to prescribe pain meds. And to Debbie, Dr. Chavin and Foster have infested Hamblen, Morristown, Grainger, Sneedville, and Claiborne Counties with Oycontin, methatdone, Xanax, etc, and kid are overdosing and dying
it isnt the doctors fault that people misrepresent themselves to get medicine. the doctors have begun to screen patients better, insist on urine tests, mri and etc in order to serve the true chronic pain patients. I dont think you should be so specific in naming names and using the word infest to describe doctors as if they are cock roaches.
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#107 Dec 12, 2007
I moved here from central Indiana last Jan. In to southern Ky. I was seeing a pain clinic in bloonington In. They told me they would take care of me till I found a clinic here that would take care of me. They dropped me like a hot potatoe about two months ago. I have been looking for a pain Dr. here from that time. I can not find a pain Dr. or clinic to treat me. I have been on a very strong med. for about 16 Yrs. I do know what withdrawl about. When you to dr. to get help they don't care. Ky is the worst state I know on drugs. Know one know what chrinic pain is like unless you have been there. With the med. I was on I lived a normal life. But know I'm back like I was. I tried all kinds of med. fianlly the last one they put me on I was able to live a normallt life. All the other pian meds. they gave I had bad side effects with they. I thought the thing was is to get a person backto a normally life. So believe me I do know what alot of you are going though. I"m checking to if a Dr. can just drop a person like and not end up with a law suit. If any one does know of a good pain Dr. in Ky or Tennesse please let me know
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#108 Dec 12, 2007
Please for give me on my spelling I was in a hurry.
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#109 Dec 12, 2007
Read This Debbie wrote:
Its not the drs. who are giving the pain pills to the kids. Maybe the people with the drugs should keep a better whatch on their Meds. I get sick of people tring to blame the Drs. for this. Those Drs. who so give these drugs are trying to help these people live a better life. If you ever have chroinic pain you will understand much better. The people of the drugs mighe think of puttting their Meds. in a lock box.
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#110 Dec 12, 2007
DEBBIE TENNESSEE wrote:
IVE SAW FIRST HAND WHAT THE ABUSE AND ADDICTION OF PAIN MEDICINES HAS DONE TO OTHER WISE GOOD, HARD WORKING PEOPLE WITH FINE HOMES AND FINE FAMILYS. EVERYBODY SUFFERS. THE CHILDREN, THE PARENTS, THE GRAND PARENTS, AND EVEN THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO GENUINELY NEED PAIN MEDICINE ON A REGULAR BASIS. BECAUSE THE ABUSE OF PAIN MEDICINE MAKES IT HARDER FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEEDS IT TO GET IT. THE DOCTERS ARE SCARED TO DEATH TO PRESCRIBE IT, AND PHARMACISTS CAUTIOUS ABOUT FILLING IT. EVERYTHING CANT BE ABOUT GETTING HIGH OR GETTING TOP DOLLAR OUT OF MEDICINES.
I live a better life for my faimly now than I did before I got on Meds. for my chroinc pain. When I didn't take meds. I could do nothing because of the pain. People who can work a job doesn't need to be on strong pain killers. I didn't get meds like that until I became disabled. So until you are there you son't know what it is like to live in this kind of pain. People sometime use acute pain as chronic psin but, believe me thereis a dirrerents in the two.
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#111 Dec 12, 2007
IN NC wrote:
<quoted text>I bet you have never really knew pain, well guess what I have. I had a car accisent 5 years ago that broke both my legs, both my hips, and my pelvis in several places. I now have two steel rods in my legs ,wires in my hips, and a total of 11 screws holding it all together. So were you get off saying that all the clinics and doctors should quit giving people pain medicine. If did not take my medicine I would not be able to walk. So you need to keep your remarks to your self until you know what real pain is. Yes some people do abuse the medicine, but not all of us do. Comments and opinions like yours is what makes it so hard for the people who really need it, to be able to get it. So again until you have real pain shutup
thank you for your comment. I have metal plate in my neck. I need the meds to. I have no use of my left arm or hand. I'm in very bad pain all the time to. She does need to keep her comments to her self till she know what she is talking about!!!!!
country man

Russell Springs, KY

#112 Dec 12, 2007
One thing I have noticed is alot of the pain clinics you goe to want to put infections in or put a pump on you. I have seen people who have had this things done and they don't live normally lifes. I thank this type of things are a joke. I think most Dr are poke happy!!!!!!!!!!
disabledinpain

AOL

#113 Aug 6, 2008
DEBBIE TENNESSEE wrote:
<quoted text> I am by no means a abuser or addict of pain medicines, however unless you have a a kidney stone to large to pass, discs pressing on nerves in your neck or lower back, among 1000 other chronic pain situations one might encounter, that makes sleeping at night next to immpossible, or everyday daily living a struggle you need to lighten up on your view of pain meds, doctors, chronic pain clinics etc, because there really are people in this world that actually do need them and do not abuse them, why should they have to suffer anymore than they already do? everyone should not have to pay for other peoples abuse and dishonesty as it seems you would have it,I am glad that you feel no need for pain management in your life but keep in mind we all didnt either at some point,but things can happen and they do, aging, diseases, sickness.auto accidents etc. one of these days one of us could be you...
/
thanks debbie.i have medical records to prove my pain and just want to get my meds cheaper but legally.i have looked all over and the people who are abusing and selling there meds along with the doctors who see ONLY this problem have ruined it for anyone who lives in tn. along with the other people who post here. i only hope one day they all hurt like i do. maybe when they can hardly get around they might see how it is.let THEM live with it...
Tonya

United States

#114 Aug 11, 2008
Graham,

Could you please help me. I have got serious back, hip, and leg pain. I have had surgery and I still hurt everyday. How can I contact you?
ann

Dayton, OH

#115 Aug 20, 2008
Beth wrote:
<quoted text>
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN CHRONIC PAIN, CAROL? IF NOT, THEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT PEOPLE LIKE ME HAS TO GO THROUGH, ALL BECAUSE OF IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I HAVE HAD NUMEROUS SURGERIES OVER THE COURSE OF 3 YEARS DUE TO CHRONIC PELVIC PAIN.
I HAVE HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY DUE TO STAGE 4 ENDOMETRIOSIS, AND IT KEEPS COMING BACK. I HAVE 3 SMALL CHILDREN THAT I CANNOT HARDLY TAKE CARE OF BECAUSE I AM IN SEVERE PAIN CONSTANTLY! AND DUE TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO LIE ABOUT BEING IN PAIN BECAUSE THEY WANT PAIN PILLS JUST SO THAT THEY CAN SELL THEM FOR A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY, PEOPLE LIKE ME HAS TO SUFFER! I HAVE BEEN TO THE ER AT LEAST 20 TIMES, AND THEY SEEM TO BE THE ONLY DOCTORS WHO WILL ACTUALLY PRESCRIBE YOU SOMETHING FOR THE PAIN!
I HAVE BEEN TO COUNTLESS DOCTORS, AND NOBODY WILL PRESCRIBE ME ANYTHING STRONGER THAN HYDRO 5'S! AND EVEN THEN, THEY ONLY GIVE ME ABOUT 2 DAYS WORTH. I HAVE BEEN SO DEPRESSED DUE TO MY PAIN, I HAVE SERIOUSLY THOUGHT ABOUT SUICIDE ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION! THE ONLY THING THAT STOPS ME FROM KILLING MYSELF IS MY CHILDREN. I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT DOCTORS WERE SUPPOSED TO TRY THEIR DAMNDEST TO HELP THEIR PATIENTS CONTROL THEIR PAIN THE BEST WAY THEY CAN. BUT, NOBODY CARES! I HAVE BEEN SO BAD OFF IN THE PAST, THAT I HAVE CALLED EVERYBODY I KNOW THAT MIGHT CAN SELL ME PAIN MEDS. I HAVE EVEN ASKED COMPLETE STRANGERS BEFORE! IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN MY SITUATION, THEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT LIFE IS LIKE WHEN YOU ARE IN CONSTANT PAIN 24/7!
I HAVE HAD EVERY TEST KNOWN TO MAN TO SEE WHY I AM IN CHRONIC PAIN. MRI'S X-RAYS, BLOOD WORK, CT SCANS, EVERYTHING! NOTHING! SO YOU TELL ME, WHAT WOULD YOU DO, CAROL, IF YOU WERE ME?? JUST DEAL WITH IT??? BE COMPLETELY MISERABLE FOR THE REST OF MY SHORT LIFE??
SO, UNTIL YOU ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION THAT ME AND COUNTLESS OTHERS ARE IN, DON'T COMMENT ON THINGS LIKE THIS!!! GET OVER IT AND LEAVE US ALONE!
I know where you are coming from for 4 years now i have had chronic severe headaches, fibromyaglia where my muscles hurt so bad i can barely lift anything my neck hurts my shoulders hurt, I also have lower back damage, restless leg syndrome, arthritis and for the past 2 years have been running a fever almost every day and dont let me forget my stomach ulcer that doubles me over if i eat im down to 86lbs. at 5'6 I cannot work and cannot enjoy life and do the fun things i used to do with my kids they are to what stops me from putting myself out of pain, I wish there was a way you could just touch someone and let you feel there pain bet they could not handle it. Depression has set in and I know longer want to get out of bed. I have a semi strong pain med. and its just not working, I dont want to get high or sell my meds. I cant stand side effects I just want not to hurt so bad anymore so I know how you feel

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tennessee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 10 hr Robbins girl 8,696
News 'We're Sorry'--Apology For Slavery: Too Little,... (Oct '08) 23 hr Drilling for the ... 2,133
News Dolly Parton heartbroken by wildfires torching ... Dec 6 moron 33
jeremy l gann Dec 2 JEREMY GANN 1
News Dollywood Foundation donating $1,000 a month to... Dec 1 Dr Wu 1
News Trump summons Romney for 2nd look as staffers s... Nov 30 Your Ex 3
Help me go undeground from abusive husband Nov 28 Christian 2
More from around the web